Try your hand at duelling!

Author Topic: spellbound | farwick AU  (Read 285 times)

Eloise Warwick

(09/30/2022 at 13:12)
  • Artist
  • C10D11T10S10
    • View Profile
End of the school day
Friday, 6 September 1985
Sandbreak High School
Sandbreak, Virginia

Eloise was weaving through the crowded hall in an attempt to get to her locker as quickly as possible. The faster she could get there, the quicker she could leave. She did this every day to cut down the amount of time it took to get to the safety of the Warwick household.

This school sucked.

Sandbreak sucked.

Virginia sucked.

America sucked.

Okay, maybe those last two were exaggerations. It just wasn’t home. Moving here was not much of a choice.  Da was offered a job that paid very well and with five kids, he couldn’t pass it up. Money was tight to begin with. It was only temporary— five years (or so they promised), but that might as well be an eternity. Starting over in a new place at sixteen was hard enough, but having it be on a completely different continent made it so much worse. The day she could get back to Ireland could not come soon enough.

Her thoughts of home were interrupted by someone smacking her books out of her hands, sending them (and more importantly, her sketchbook) flying across the hall. She scurried to pick up her things as some jocks continued down the hall, hysterical over the absolutely hilarious stunt they just pulled. She was careful not to let her things, or her hands for that matter, be stepped on as she collected them.

Too focused on that, she didn’t see the next impact coming. So, when a knee (maybe a foot?) met her ribcage, she was knocked completely over.

Brilliant.

“Oh my god! I am so sorry! I totally didn’t see you all the way down there!”

It was just exaggerated enough for Eloise to want to roll her eyes. She knew their game and how they played it.

“Right,” was all that Elo could muster as she brushed herself off and resumed gathering her scattered belongings. As the girl laughed and sauntered off, Eloise clamped her teeth down on her bottom lip and inhaled sharply through her nose. She was not going to cry. Not here, not in front of all of them again.

As she was about to finally stand, she saw two feet stop in front of her. Preparing for the worst, Elo let out a sigh before looking up to see what was next in store for her.
I wish I was on a spaceship
just me and my dog and an
impossible view

* Gia Fuentes

(10/04/2022 at 14:03)
  • Singer
  • C16D5T10S7
    • View Profile
As soon as last period let out, Gia already had her headphones back up over her ears before she hit the hallway. The noises and chatter of school ending for the day muffled under the words of Foreigner’s “Waiting for a Girl like You” and Gia hefted her backpack up over a shoulder, making her way through the masses. 

I've been waiting for someone new to make me feel alive.

By the time she nearly reached the doors, the song was easing down. Gia had gotten in the habit of getting what she needed out of her locker after lunch so she wouldn’t have to hike to the other side of the school (where her locker lived that year) and then to the complete other side to get back out to the parking lot.

The sounds of Kirk and his football goons suddenly caught her attention.

Gia stopped, looking down the last hallway before the exit. She’d only really heard because the song was just ending. But it was in enough time to catch the tail end of the new girl bent and trying to pick up her books that were scattered across the floor and for Kelly Brown to knock the girl over, her shrill tones cutting through even the headphones still pressed into Gia’s ears.

She felt hot anger stab through her gut. Before Gia knew what was happening, she was halfway down the hall and standing in front of the girl. Kelly had already gotten too far, and sure, Gia could easily catch up, but one look around told her she should stay. The crowd gathered around hadn’t done anything helpful, and if they were planning anything not helpful, they thought better of it the moment Gia stepped into the new girl’s space.

Gia slipped her headphones down around her neck and kneeled down to be on the same level, her features warming as she did. The hard anger from seconds ago had forcefully been buried. When she met soft brown eyes though Gia froze. "Hey,"

Thankfully, she noticed a familiar biology book and reached for it, breathing again. Gia held it out to the girl (whose name, she realized with some guilt, she didn't know).

"This is yours, right? You've got Burwell too." Gia held out a hand to the girl. “You okay?”

Eloise Warwick

(10/07/2022 at 03:16)
  • Artist
  • C10D11T10S10
    • View Profile
Eloise expected another assault, whether it was verbal or physical, she wasn't sure. So, she was surprised when she was offered help, of all things.

She wanted to be suspicious, wary that this might just be a front that was put on before a third blow. But, the sincerity on the other girl's face won her over. She took the book from the girl with a nod as she tucked it at the bottom of the pile she gathered.

"I'm just grand. Are the people here normally so horrible?" She questioned, giving a weak smile as she took the other girl's hand and stood. Her cheeks were still burning from the public humiliation. Glancing over her sketchbook, it looked to be unharmed aside from some dust on the cover. Eloise let out a sigh of relief as that was the only thing she cared about getting damaged.

She looked up at the taller girl, the corner of her mouth twitching into an, albeit small, grateful smile.

"Thanks, by the way."

The girl was the only one who did anything to help her since the school year began. Of course, people were nice in the beginning, but it was all fake. They were intrigued by the new face and the accent, but once they realized that Eloise was a bit awkward and more into drawing ghosts and supernatural settings, they decided that she was too weird for them.

It wasn't the first time. She did have a handful of tormentors back home, but they were nowhere near as cruel and she at least had some friends to balance it out. She supposed it helped that everyone knew everyone in Clifden and any bullying would be found out and dealt with by parents before the day's end.

"Anyway, I'm Eloise. I just moved here this summer."
I wish I was on a spaceship
just me and my dog and an
impossible view

* Gia Fuentes

(10/13/2022 at 02:50)
  • Singer
  • C16D5T10S7
    • View Profile
Gia bit her lip at the girl’s words. She'd been there, as the new girl, even if they hadn't tormented her for nearly as long. Mostly though, it was the accent that surprised Gia. It shouldn’t have, probably; she’d heard people say the new girl was from ‘England or Ireland or somewhere over there’. Gia never paid much attention to what people said though; always what they did.

Still, the other girl’s little smile had Gia smiling herself, lips curving easily.

“Not everyone,” Gia reassured, straightening and pulling the girl up with her.

But kind of, she didn’t want to say. It was true that not everyone was that horrible in Sandbreak. But it was a small, seaside town in Virginia. It was a lot of old, intertwined families where kids all grew up together and married each other, and on and on. Outsiders and different wasn’t always welcome.

Something that, as the daughter of Cuban immigrants, Gia had found out pretty fast.

She scanned the girl over, making sure everything was actually in order, before remembering she should let go of her hand. Dropping it quickly, Gia busied herself with pulling the strap of her green Jansport backpack tighter around her shoulder. She could faintly hear the words of Foreigner’s “Juke Box Hero” playing around her neck. “Don’t mention it.”

"Anyway, I'm Eloise. I just moved here this summer."

Now Gia’s smile pulled fuller, and she nodded a little, because she knew that, but didn’t want to sound weird. “Gia.”

“Where from?” So she settled on sounding dumb instead. Or at least, Gia felt dumb, and like she should know which country it was by the accent alone.

The halls were starting to empty out, and Gia glanced back the way she had come. “Uh,” Gia looked at her wristwatch before meeting Eloise's gaze again, eyebrows arching slightly. “You weren’t catching the bus, were you?”

Because it was definitely gone already.

Eloise Warwick

(12/07/2022 at 03:53)
  • Artist
  • C10D11T10S10
    • View Profile
Eloise stood with the assistance of the other girl and let out a relieved chuckle when she confirmed that not everyone in Sandbreak was evil.

“Well, that was a silly question because you’re clearly not like them.”

She didn’t realize how long they were holding hands until the other girl let go. Thankfully, her hair covered most of the pink that crept into her cheeks. Brushing the dirt off the cover of her sketchbook, Eloise nodded as she gave her name— Gia. It was pretty like her and was simple enough that Elo would certainly not forget it.

Eloise was secretly thankful Gia asked where she was from instead of assuming. If she was called British one more time, she might have to scream. She nearly had a heart attack the first time that happened. Thankfully, she was able to contain the visceral reaction and was able to politely correct the person.

“Ireland. A small town called Clifden if we want to be specific,” she shared. Not that anyone here would have any idea where that was or have ever even heard of it in the first place. From her (albeit limited) experience, most people just knew of Dublin, maybe another county name, but certainly never Clifden.

“You weren’t catching the bus, were you?”

Eloise shook her head.

“Ah, thankfully no. Made that mistake once and decided that I’d rather walk instead.” Being trapped with the very same people who enjoyed the little display that just happened in the hall was not something she wanted to subject herself to any longer than she needed. Plus, it wasn’t a terribly far walk home. She walked everywhere back home, so it wasn’t that much of a change for her.

Eloise’s brows furrowed in concern as she realized that Gia very well could have needed to catch the bus herself.

“You don’t take the bus, do you? I’d feel terrible if you missed it because of me.”
 I buried a hatchet it's coming up
Lavender

Tags: