As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: Day Twenty!  (Read 3123 times)

* The Narrator

(04/20/2015 at 18:10)
    • View Profile
The HSNet

Day 20.
Day 20.

Favorite country for your character to be from.

30-Day Challenge

To get the code: hit select, then ctrl/cmd + C to copy!
Code: [Select]
[div style="width:450px; font-family:lavanderia; color:#87a9b5; font-size:60px; box-sizing:border-box; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:right; line-height:60%; margin-top:10px;"]Challenge Accepted[/div]
[div style="box-sizing:border-box; width:450px; border:5px double #87a9b5; padding:10px;"]
[div style="font-family:verdana; color:#666; font-size:12px;"]

Type your response here!

[/div]
[/div]

Chartreuse Greene

(04/20/2015 at 18:16)
  • Hufflepuff '45
  • C14D7T13S7
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Player of the Summer ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions ['43-'44] Duelling Finalist Freesia - Most Spirited
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I'm afraid I've been quite bland and only done characters from the UK. I haven't really thought of branching out into "foreign" countries for my Hogwarts students, yet.

I AM your head girl
I dreamt of Paris again last night

Geryon Crowley

(04/20/2015 at 18:23)
  • Owner of Crow's Creatures
  • C22D12T26S12
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Challenge ACCEPTED

I love having characters from different places - right now it's just Britain, Russia and Italy though, but I really hope to have one that works out from my homeland in the future (Norway yay <3). I adore my Italian and Russian hunks though. They're awesome.

It took a funeral
to make me feel alive

* Chantal Marie Renard

(04/20/2015 at 18:24)
  • Wizengamot Member French Professor
  • C20D15T20S18
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I have mostly Brits (yes, even Gabby was born in the Hospital Wing) ... The others? Two Frenchies and one Russian. And one American. :)

So the answer is rather obvious: Great Britain.

Rin Hunter

(04/20/2015 at 20:33)
  • Ex-chaser for the Falmouth Falcons
  • C12D8T11S13
  • ['47-'48] Quidditch Champions ['45-'46] Prefect Pick! ['44-'45] Prefect Pick! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Queen of the Hospital Wing ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! ['42-'43] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

So Rin was born in Wales, moved to Japan at a young age, then moved back to attend Hogwarts. Richard and Jun were born and raised in Japan, moving over later to England. Delilah and Daeva are British, and Blanche and Camille are from France. I don't have a favourite place for my characters to be from, I enjoy rping with all of them anyway. I want to make some European characters from Russia, Italy or Spain, might look around the character classifieds for some. <3

i am not afraid

TO KEEP ON LIVING

Frances Severin

(04/20/2015 at 21:32)
  • Fifth Year
  • C7D7T6S3
  • ['44-'45] Quidditch Champions [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Duelling Finalist ['43-'44] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I honestly don't care much. Usually I have characters who originate from Europe because I'm from Europe and it's easier for me to relate to, but I've had characters from England, Denmark, France, Germany--they're all fun for different reasons.

GRYFFINDOR
Glory Roars

#207 SEVERIN

* Wilhelmina Mason

(04/20/2015 at 22:14)
  • Secretary In-Training
  • C12D6T8S11
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

So when I first started here, I was obsessed with everything French. And I made my first couple of characters French. But I've mostly played Brits. My Leighton family is English. Pryce is Welsh. I guess Mina is technically Scottish. And I love playing Brits. But I also equally love my Russian. I've done tons of research on Russian customs and stuff to play Anneka. I'm a total nerd who loves to research, so it's been really fun.

Joy Detora

(04/20/2015 at 22:36)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! Player of the Summer
    • View Profile

Challenge Accepted

Most all of my characters have foreign backgrounds but live in Great Britain or grew up there. For example - Joy, who is part Scottish, but calls herself a London girl. Which is true. Or Cassiel, who's Spanish but grew up in Britain. Margaret's the exception, and she's a Frenchie (I love my Europeans) that moved to Britain. A bit more complicated, but that's pretty much it.

I'm North American, so some of my posts might involve slip-ups where I use Canadian English, but the measuring systems at least are the same, so it's easier to stay in character. In general, since Hogwarts is British I like having European characters. Preferably the bilingual ones.
i'm laughing, i'm crying
it's my party, and i'll cry if i want to
it feels like i'm d y i n g

Irma Wolffe

(04/20/2015 at 23:23)
  • Hufflepuff '49
  • C16D9T16S12
  • ['45-'46] Prefect Pick! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions ['43-'44] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

Hmmm.  Lets review:
  • Scotland: Newton MacDonald, Heather MacDonald
  • America: Clifford Montsierra
  • England: Amos Feinbary, Irma Scrivner
  • Hong Kong: Reginald Lark(technically British, his father was Wizarding Ambassador to Hong Kong)

I'd have to say the UK wins- all but one came from a British territory (as of the IC year).  Newt (and Heather) were Scottish because I have Scots roots.  Irma is from Finginghoe, Essex because that name sounded funny, and I was looking for a region with an interesting accent.  Amos Feinbary (a boy in frames) came from Felixstowe.

Why the UK?  Simplicity.  Hogwarts is in the UK, and I imagine it is primarily for Brits.  Durmstrang, Beaubaxtons, Salem- those are the other major players, made for their regions.  I imagine there are other (smaller-scale) schools all over Europe.
« Last Edit: 04/21/2015 at 07:16 by Irma Lycoris Scrivner »

Raasiel Albear

(04/21/2015 at 03:04)
Challenge Accepted

Ra'as is from England, Asher is from America, but so far my favorite has been Neva, from Spain. When I was writing her bio for her app, I did a lot of reading on what the cultural and social climate was in Spain between the 1930s and 1940s. Finding out that the country had gone from being incredibly progressive towards their women to suffocatingly restrictive under Francisco Franco was incredibly interesting to me, and has helped to shape her tremendously.

« Last Edit: 04/30/2015 at 18:22 by Raasiel Albear »

Camilla Noble

(04/21/2015 at 07:40)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6 D8 T7 S6
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

For some reason I've always gravitated towards British characters, despite not being from the UK myself. Dunno why, probably for simplicity's sake.

DEEPLY MYSTERIOUS
orphic
ENCHANTING

Gregory Noble

(04/21/2015 at 17:17)
Challenge Accepted

'Merica. Specifically, New York. I loved playing in Salem with Rooster, because he was such a hard headed little brat and it was a treasure to play him from a place I actually live. I'd be excited, as we move, to be able to play a Greaser character in the 50s, because who doesn't want a bad-guy, leather jacket wearing, thug type walking around the halls of Hogwarts?

Tiberius Owain Paladin

(04/22/2015 at 03:20)
  • Fourth Year
  • C2D2T1S3
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

Japan, obviously Even though it kind of doesn't make sense to have so many Japanese characters on the board, I really adore playing them, especially Evelyn as a Japanese-American in Britain during the war. If I'm being honest it's because Japanese is my major and I know like 0 things about Europe NGL so I'd probably play people wrong.

I also enjoy being able to type in Japanese (even though I'm not an expert) and want to offer everyone my Japanese adoptables! If you want to make a character from Japan and want ideas though, lemme know. (Like I'm not wikipedia but I can help with names and stuff yeahahhah)

Theirs would be the Light, his would be theDark:
And from his desolate throne
he watched them compose
A mountainous wall of stone,
to separate themselves from him.
A massive, jagged barricade    
to lock themselves in.

Hana Sato

(04/22/2015 at 08:38)
  • Fourth Year
  • C3D5T4S4
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

Most of my characters are usually from the UK, for convenience's sake, but I really like having foreign charries, even though I know little to zero stuff about that country or its language. But that's part of the fun, as I can research about it and learn from there.

Japan is my second favorite country to make charries be from (mostly because I'm such an otaku but I'm still learning Japanese "orz), and I'm glad I now have one from there. My ultimate favorite is the Philippines BTW HAVE I EVER TOLD YOU I'M BIASED, even though the only conventional way any Filipino would be over in the UK would be if they came from a rich family. But I like to explore non-conventional options; i.e., Nilo's here thanks to his shapeshifting ability.

Even though the only Filipino I've made and written is Nilo, I'm planning on making even more in future~ Might even make a Filipino Pureblood family stationed in the UK, just so there'd be more Pinoys on here ;D

YOU'RE  JUST  ANOTHER  SET  OF  BONES  TO  LAY  TO  REST
i guess it’s time to say goodnight

Calypso Ross

(04/23/2015 at 08:53)
  • Head of the Auror Office
  • C50D30T30S25
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['45-'46] Queen of the Hospital Wing ['44-'45] Quidditch Champions ['44-'45] Duelling Finalist [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Biggest Teacher's Pet ['43-'44] Duelling Finalist ['42-'43] Queen of the Hospital Wing
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I guess I'd have to go with Greece, even though Clay's half-Greek & half-English. All of her dad's side of the family are still over there, though, so I think it still counts.

look out! look out!
'CAUSE EACH TIME I FALL
I'LL BE CRASHING DOWN
RIGHT THROUGH YOUR ARMS

Captain Price

(04/23/2015 at 12:10)
  • 33rd Infantry - Captain
  • C16T15D7S8
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I'm an Anglophile, so ._. the UK I think has so much diversity and different slang that you can incorporate into your characters, depending on where they're from. I'm totally trying to work a Mancunian tone into Gaz and Phil, just because I can. Seriously, I'm a stickler for detail, so I love looking at the tiny things like ending sentences with 'and that' or using 'mithered' instead of 'bothered'. I think all my characters bar Mavs have come from the UK, anyway, so I'm not in a great position to think about this. XD

then we  burned  the bridges
we're  crossing  over
just  to  see  the

firelight

Eugene Bryce

(04/24/2015 at 20:40)
  • Owner of AB&C Daycare
  • C15D4T15S4
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['44-'45] Prefect Pick! ['44-'45] Duelling Finalist [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Iris - Most Friendly
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I'm gonna go with America, because idk I love Eugene's little American family and the idea that his moms family has 40s mob junk going on with them. It's also easier to write for me because I'm terrible and don't know a whole heck of a lot about Europe >.>

Cecily Noble

(04/26/2015 at 21:19)
Challenge Accepted

Might even make a Filipino Pureblood family stationed in the UK, just so there'd be more Pinoys on here ;D

PINOY FAMILY PLS YES SALAMAT PO

Anyway, idk. All of my charries are technically from England, so I guess I'll just go with that?

Rowan Stann

(04/26/2015 at 22:08)
  • Hufflepuff '45
  • C7D4T6S5
  • ['44-'45] Prefect Pick! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Donor
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I've actually got a pretty good variety when it comes to origins of my characters, but I'm going to go with Spain. Mostly because Damien's one of my favorites, but also because it's Spain. Great views, great food, great language. I love anytime I get to incorporate Damien's Spanish side into RPing.

HUFFLEPUFF
hard at work

Juniper E-L Steele

(04/26/2015 at 23:25)
  • Adult
  • C27D14T30S14
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I tend to stick with the UK. One day I will make a legitimate American. Maybe.

Tags: