Student applications are open for the 1971-72 term!

Author Topic: Felicia Navarro- CoMC  (Read 620 times)

Felicia Navarro

(02/12/2018 at 05:15)
  • COMC Professor
  • C18D14T20S10
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character name:Felicia Navarro

Previous and/or Current Character(s) if applicable:
Felicia, Juan Cruz and Santiago Navarro.

Character age: 20

Character education:
Hogwarts- Ravenclaw ‘53
Unspeakable in training- ‘54- present
Private studies in magizoology and acrobatics

Strength and weaknesses (details please): (in personality)

Physical description:
Felicia is easy to spot by a cloud of hair transfigured white that refuses to be completely tame and the scars of an old burn covering most of her left arm; and yet she’s easy to lose sight of with her 5 feet of height and quick, quiet steps. Big, round blue eyes are transparent in the best of days, showcasing fleeting emotions as they are felt, uncaring about who sees them. What once was a thin, boyish body has been covered with lean muscle and the occasional tattoo- with plans to get more.
She always looks innocent, even when she’s not, with a gentle smile always ready on soft lips, with smudged eyeliner and the occasional stray drop of dried ink staining her cheek.
The observant eye may catch a dragon tooth necklace around her neck and a white ring on her left hand that she twirls as she thinks.

Personality (nice, rude, funny etc. Paragraph please.):
Always ready to laugh and even more ready to smile, Felicia Navarro manages to be intense and relaxed at the same time. While she possesses a laser focus on the subjects that interest her at any certain moment, she’s also fickle in everything except magizoology, and might abandon projects, ideas and even sentences as they leave her mouth if something else catches her attention. Willing to help but unwilling to allow herself to be helped, she rejects stereotypes, systems and rules if they make no sense for her. Felicia flows through life, easily adapting to quick changes without having been given warning: if one solution doesn’t work, she’ll find twenty others to test, taking challenges with a smile and without frustration. But her fluid nature makes her unreliable at times, forgetful or childish. She refuses to stay still on a place for too long or let people or circumstances cage her. Her body is usually as flexible as herself, with the exception of her scarred arm, which still aches and feels stiff on occasion.

Hopes and dreams. Why are you teaching at Hogwarts?:
Teacher figures have been important in her life and she wishes to help guiding students into understanding that creatures, even when big and dangerous, act the way they act for certain reasons. Spreading knowledge about what’s generally regarded as wild and unpredictable and showing the truth behind myths regarding creatures are very important subjects for her. While she doesn’t dream to become a teacher for life and will likely treat it as a side job, she’s still eager to help shape young minds and teach them critical thinking.

Biography (500 words minimum. There is never such a thing as too much.):
Death was the first of her teachers from the moment she took her first breath of air. Death, with long, reaching fingers claimed a mother she never knew and gave the first lesson: life is fragile, all is fleeting. Respect it, enjoy it, but don’t hold it too tight between your hands. It will all go at some point.

Still young, her second teacher, and perhaps the most important for years and years, was her father. When she could walk, she walked right next to him, and then ran next to him, surrounded by scales and feathers and fangs, never once stopping to consider how it might be dangerous, how she might be unprepared. Her eyes were too wide and her ears too eager to listen: be passionate, explore, learn more and more and more. Take your time to understand the world and the beautiful creatures in it.

If her hair always smelled of smoke, if she couldn’t get rid of grass stains on her knees, if she was stared at in disapproval by family members, Felicia didn’t notice. She was running too fast to stop and take a look.

Hogwarts came later, with different sounds and scent and people, and enough teachers to keep her sleepless mind busy, thoughts tangling and overlapping in asymmetrical loops. For the classes she cared about she read and practiced until sleep took her, without even asking her for her opinion first; the classes she was less interested in only got her lack of attention. What she didn’t learn in that time was how to feel guilty about it.

Names got under her skin and so lessons that were engraved into the bones of her ribs, so with every breath she took they would pulse with bright light, so she wouldn’t forget: everyone has different needs. Stop, and pay attention. Running all the time gets you out of breath too soon. Sleep better. Eat better. Take care of yourself. Some questions are more important than the answers. Some family you get to pick, to collect them as you go.

And then her first teacher came back along with fire to sear the first of her lessons on her skin again, least she would stop thinking about it for long enough to forget. Fire came and scarred her arm, death came back with the quietest hint of an apology and when it left, it took her father with it. The absence tore at her heart leaving a gaping void behind. Rafael was something to fill it with, and his lessons doubled: how to mourn, how to hurt, how to heal. How to recognize signs of trauma and deal with them. How to take the time and space you need, how to prepare teas to help you sleep, how to make salves that heal burns. How to handle crises.

And then she graduated, but that didn’t mean Felicia would stop listening to the lessons that unfurled in front of her face, and with each step into the unknown she tapped her fingertips to the beat them: this is how you pack your bags, join a circus and see the world you’re so hungry to see.

And then: this is how to come back, how buy a house, remodel it and decorate it. This is how you take something in ruins and your best friend and turn it into a home. This is how you harvest honey and make marmalade and ice cream.

And then: this is how to follow in your father’s footsteps, how to study the creatures he showed you how to love, how to start working in a reserve and smile even when you get a face full of quills.

And then: this is how you get a second job doing something you never thought you would. This is how you keep your mind busy with secrets and oddities and spend two times a week bent over a cluttered desk with your best friend.

And then.

SAMPLE ROLEPLAY
(Please respond to to this in third person past tense. Do not write the other characters' reactions. Only your own.)

It was the largest office in Hogwarts and, perhaps to students and newcomers, the most intimidating. The shelves were filled with various odds and ends, with a place of honor for the Sorting Hat, and the walls held all the portraits of past Headmasters and Headmistresses.

In the middle of the room sat a large desk. Everything was in order, for the current occupant had always despised a messy desk. It was the sign of a messy mind, and she had always favored neatness.

A clock sat on the desk, which currently showed the time to be 2:05. The meeting was supposed to begin at 2:00 precisely.

Along with order, Anneka valued punctuality. She was a very busy woman these days. Even during the summer, she had a number of matters to attend to. Interviewing and hiring staff was only of those matters. The newest potential member of her staff wasn't making a good impression.

She paced the room, black heels clicking against the stone floor. When the door finally opened, Anneka turned, her expression reminiscent of a Russian winter. "You are late."

Explain yourself was what her face said.

Roleplay Response:
”You are late.”

Felicia’s face twisted into an apologetic look, the expression ruined somewhat by the dirt smudge across her nose. She knew she was late and it hadn’t been in her plans; she had ran through hallways and climbed stairwells skipping a step and she had tried her best to be on time. And yet, here she was.

“Miss Ivanova, yes. Sorry, I know, I… got sidetracked,” she took a deep breath, ran pale fingers stained with paint and ink through white, wild hair and elaborated further: “there was a bird. Little thing, chirping miserably on the ground, way too young to be left alone. Couldn’t even fly yet. So I tried to locate its nest but that took longer than I thought it would and then I was crawling under a bush trying to convince the little thing that I wasn’t trying to harm it and-” She waved a hand in front of her face, as if to push her thoughts away.

“To sum up, I’m very sorry, the bird is safe, this won’t happen again. Me being late, I mean, I can’t control wild animals. I can’t really control my own cat- really smart creatures, you know?” She shifted on her place, absently biting on her lip. “This isn’t the best first impression for a job, is it?”

I’ll send Neka the plans briefly <3

Tags: