Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Byron "Brick" Dumay | Elsewhere Child  (Read 794 times)

Brick Dumay

(24/06/2016 at 02:46)
  • Junior Healer - Pediatrics
  • C8D7T5S5
    • View Profile
E L S E W H E R E   C H I L D

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Byron Templeton "Brick" Dumay

Bloodline: Pureblood

Parents/Guardians (Are they currently played characters?): 
Abigail (Horner) and Broderick Dumay; NPCs both.

Residence:
Frizington, Cumbria, England.  Will be staying with his Uncle Radish Horner in Hogsmeade during the summer.

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the daycare)?
Eventually Hogwarts (in the '49-50 school year).

Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
Not at this time.

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Newton MacDonald, Irma Scrivner, Marvin Fleisher, Amos Feinbary, et al.

Biography: (100 words minimum.)
Brick received his nickname at birth; at 13lbs, 13oz.- and 26 inches long- he threatened to be the end of his mother from the start.  Abigail swore that the boy was part giant (there is no proof of that) and that she'd never have more children (not true- Brick has a little sister and a little brother).  His parents are loving, capable providers who raised him to as best as they could, despite his shortcomings.

'Brick' proved to be an apt name; he didn't begin to walk until age three or talk until almost five- and even then it was mostly monosyllabic.  His fine-motor skills were barely present; except when eating, his ability to grasp and manipulate things seemed like a daunting task for him.  And despite years of careful prompting and gentle prodding, he simply never spoke.  His first word, upon seeing his sister Brenda for the first time, was 'Yuck."  His parents were concerned that he might be mentally deficient.

It was discovered around age seven that Brick had an almost magical grasp of language, but rarely felt a need to speak- as if words were something too precious to waste.  Two Welsh wizards were talking to one another (in Welsh) about the duplicitous weather they'd been having, and he overheard their conversation.  After only a few short minutes of listening, he chimed in with a fully modulated (if short) reply, indicating a firm understanding of the morphology and syntax of the language.  A few hours later, when asked about what had happened, he shrugged his shoulders and gave a nondescript, "Dunno..."

He is the strong, silent type- he has always been the biggest thing around, and expects to receive anything he puts his mind to- mostly because others don't have the ability to physically object.  When it comes to food, he can be quite selfish- which is one of the primary reasons for his girth.  For Brick, little else matters than what he can stuff down his gullet.

Brick might be considered a 'bully' if it weren't for his almost obsequious nature with those he has befriended.  He will take things without asking, without remorse, and often by force- but usually only if it benefits others or he was directed to.  His little sister has taken advantage of this, making him her muscle on the school grounds and her the veritable queen.  She says it, he does it.  No fear, no sense of self-preservation.  And he doesn't complain, either.

In the recent past, his parents have welcomed a new child into the household- a little brother, Bernard.  Brick does not care for his brother, as he makes too much noise that doesn't mean anything and demands too much attention for no reason.  Brick has twice tried stuffing him into the woodbox, which has led his mother to pawn him off on her brother Radish for the summer.

Roleplay:
Reply as your character to the following:
Godric Park.

Overhead, the sky was a crisp blue, for once clear of the ever-pervasive spongy clouds and rain. The sun was a lemony-yellow presence, high in the Eastern sky, and in front of it zipped three broomsticks in a straight line, or something very like one. One... two..... three... the boys passed, their shouts of excitement echoing as they chased the snitch, a tiny shimmer reflecting the sunlight.

Far below was another, much smaller broomstick.

It trugged along the ground, hugging close to it like a sluggish choo choo train and occasionally shuttering in protest. This was because said stick was currently being occupied by a very small girl who was tugging upward on the front of it with all her might, trying to coax it into doing what it had been expressly designed NOT to do.

"John, I said wait up!" The tiny girl squealed, giving the broomstick another tug.

Begrudgingly, it drifted upward a foot, and then sank, depositing the troublesome girl safely on the ground. Janey Hurst was not pleased. In a huff, she hopped off the toy safety broom, grabbing it firmly and thrusting it handle first into the turf.

Her brother was such a beast. He NEVER let her play! She folded her arms, seething blue eyes fixing on another figure nearby.  "You!" She barked, much more sharply than she meant to.

"...Do you want to play?"

Roleplay Response:
He was minding his own business, sitting there in the direct middle of the park (as measured from the corners).  And his business, at the moment, was listening to the bugs buzzing about in the bushes and the birds warbling in the trees.  They were happy sounds- which made him happy.

He liked happy.

"John, I said wait up!"

It was unhappy.  The girl looked about Brenda's age, riding a broom that looked suspiciously like Brenda's broom.  Was the girl a thief?  He made a fist and followed her gaze.  Oh, he thought, even his inner monologue reserved of speech, brother John.

The trio of boys were playing some sort of simple Quidditch game.  Brick loved Quidditch, but didn't really understand the game- his favorite part was when players got hit.  These three didn't even have a bludger to play with.  He looked around for a decent sized-rock.  If the girl asked him to, he was sure he could knock one off their broom.  From this distance?

No problem.  So when she turned towards him, he was ready.

"...do you want to play?"

He blinked at her a few times before turning his head back to the boys.

"No," he replied simply.  The girl didn't know how to play the game.  Like his sister did.  Had she said, "Come play with me," or "Peg my idiot brother with that rock," he'd have done so without thinking twice about it.  The answer was always 'no' when given a choice- he was content just sitting and listening to happy.

Though he hoped she might figure it out.

OTHER
How did you find us? Other  I've been here forever.

* Anneka Ivanova

(28/06/2016 at 02:13)
  • Hogwarts Headmistress
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Accepted!
and if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free
to those who ground me, take a message back from me
tell them how I am defying gravity

Tags: