We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Maria Callaghan  (Read 891 times)

Maria Callaghan

(21/02/2012 at 05:46)
  • Welcome Witch
  • C9 D7 T7 S10
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Maria Callaghan.

Education: 
Hogwarts,1957-1964, Hufflepuff.

Residence:
London, small apartment close to work

Nurse

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (example St Mungo's, the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
St. Mungo’s nurse

Requested Magic Levels:
  • Charms: 7
  • Transfiguration: 7
  • Divination: 3, she has no talent for this.
  • Summoning: 15
Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
N/A.

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
James Mann, Anton Petrov.

Special Phrase:
Tibble’s Beard of Power

Biography: (300 words minimum.)
Maria was born and raised in London to two Irish parents, Hannah and Jack Callaghan. Her father had been a half-blood doctor at St. Mungo’s and her mother was a muggle-born nurse, working beside him in the hospital. They had fallen in love during the time they worked together and out of this love, they had Maria. A few years later, they had another daughter, Emma.

When Emma had been only two years old, she had passed away, due to diarrhoeal, a disease that was known to take almost two billion children under the age of two every year. Hannah and Jack were devastated, but not as much as Maria was. She had lost the one person who loved her no matter what, and the one person she was looking forward to playing with when she was older.

As Maria grew up, she found an interest in medicine, just like her parents had before both Maria and Emma. She found herself reading books about anatomy in her spare time instead of playing with others, but when she finally did make a friend, a muggle friend, a young lad named Taylor, she was steadfastly loyal to her, making sure they were always together any day they had free from school and chores.

When Maria got her letter from Hogwarts, it tore her apart to not be able to tell Taylor that she was a witch, but her parents insisted that it would be for the better. She wasn’t sure she agreed with it but knew her parents would be right.

Every chance she had in Hogwarts during her first year, she wrote to Taylor until the summer. When she got home, something had changed. Taylor was no longer interested in hanging out with her, and he even tore up her letters in front of her face. This had hurt Maria deeper then not being able to tell him that she was a witch.

When Maria was back at Hogwarts, she hadn’t made many other friends, a few close friends but they had all went their separate ways after graduation in 1964. Maria found her way into St. Mungo’s taking a spot as a pediatrics nurse as her parents went into retirement, enjoying their free time together to travel the world, sending post cards and gifts to their little girl in London ever few weeks, mostly items having to do with medicine.

Maria’s treasure trove of medicine books, small medicinal trinkets, potion recipe and bottles full of herbs filled a small room in her apartment, a nice cozy apartment that she had bought all by herself with money she had earned throughout Hogwarts, with a little help from her parents.

Her small room of medicinal treasures was her hideaway, and often she would go there to remember Hogwarts, her friends and her life before her letter had arrived. Every day she spent hours in her hideaway, reading about anatomy, ancient medicinal practices from years ago, or reading patient files, hoping to help those in her care like her parents had helped others before her.

ROLEPLAY
Reply as your character to the following:

It was impossible for Dianne to stay out of trouble. It wasn't that she was looking for trouble, it's just that trouble always managed to find her. Today she wished she could find something equally familiar but more comforting.

The five-year old girl hugged her puffskein closer to her and brushed her face in its soft fur for comfort. She had named him herself and he was always her special pet. No she was certain she had never gone down this side street before. Her anxiety increased every second as darkness fell as she walked down the road. A loud noise came to her left and she buried her face in her pet's fur completely. The scared girl bolted the opposite way slamming the both of them into the wall of the nearest building. Tottering back a few steps she found a door a few feet to her right and ran to open it. What light there was inside spilled out into the darkness and she spilled into the room.

Once in, she was caught between the impulse to curl her cloak up more tightly around her and loosen her grip on it. She wasn't alone anymore but she was now among strangers instead, which was nearly as terrifying. Her puffskein had recovered from the shock of the wall and now was purring contentedly as the girl hugged it, causing a mildly calming effect on the girl. Gathering her courage, she marched up to the nearest person, pulled on the nearest clothing hem and blurted out in a loud voice:

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy."

To explain the scared girl held up the custard-colored puffskein. Sambundeakin the puffskein, however simply purred as if nothing on earth was wrong in the world.

Roleplay Response:
It had been a hard day at work, and she was glad to be done her 72 hour shift. Signing out, she looked at another nurse, sitting in the staff room, “Have a good night Katie, I’ll see you in a few hours.” She smiled and headed towards the door when it slid open and a small child tumbled in, looking lost.

Maria looked at the small child that was shoving a puffskein in her face and she smiled, bending down so she could look at the small girl in the eyes.

"He misses my and his mommy."

“Well, why don’t we fix that?” Maria asked, smiling at the young girl then back at Katie who was just staring at the young girl, “And what are you doing back here? This is the staff entrance?” Maria laughed and took the young girl’s hand, leading her back into the main area of the hospital, taking her to the reception area.

“We’ll get in touch with your mommy here, and then we’ll go back to the staff room and we’ll play whatever game you want to play until your mommy comes to get you,” Maria smiled down at the girl, “How does that sound? We can even get you some food for you and Sambundeakin while we play games.”

Maria loved small children, one reason she had become a pediatrics nurse. It was also one of the reasons parents trusted their children with her, no matter what the reason for having to bring their children in, and besides, what was another two or three hours at work during her time off? She wanted to make sure this young girl got home safely.

Professor Tibble

(27/02/2012 at 16:35)
  • C/S Professor
    • View Profile
I'm happy to accept the application, but the magic levels don't fit. They can't be higher than 14, and the lowest should be at least half the level of the highest, unless you have a good reason to the contrary (and note that 'has no talent for this' isn't a sufficient reason, as stated in the guidelines).

If you can change the magic levels, I'll accept the application.

Thanks!
"There's something here that doesn't make sense... let's go poke it with a stick."

- The Doctor, 'Amy's Choice'

Maria Callaghan

(27/02/2012 at 18:03)
  • Welcome Witch
  • C9 D7 T7 S10
    • View Profile
Ah, sorry about that professor!

Charms: 7
Transfiguration: 8
Diviniation: 7
Summoning: 10

I hope these levels are better.