Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Maya Preston  (Read 696 times)

Maya Preston

(07/04/2015 at 01:51)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C1D2T0S1
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name: Maya Preston

Birthday: August 11, 1933

Hometown: Cardiff, Wales

Bloodline: Unknown
Muggleborn / Halfblood / Pureblood / Unknown

Magical Strength (pick one): Divination
Divination / Transfiguration / Charms / Conjuring & Summoning

Magical Weakness (pick one): Transfiguration
Divination / Transfiguration / Charms / Conjuring & Summoning

Year (pick two): Year 1, Year 2

Biography:
If you are applying to be a first, second, or third year, your biography must be at least one hundred words long.
If you are applying to be a fourth year or above, your biography must be at least three hundred words long.

Maya didn’t even fight it anymore. Her arm was capable of being tugged by the elder, shorter and honestly weaker than her woman with no struggle at all, the girl following behind with quick paces, but with shuffled steps. Up the stairs the two went, every step the grip the woman applied on her arm fluctuating in tightness. Once at the top of the stairs, she was shoved inside the closet, and she heard the key go ‘Click!’ and then the sound of the old wood groaning as she leaned back against it and slid down to sit on the floor, knowing it was clear despite it being too dark to see a thing. She would cross her legs under her, allow the tightened shoulders to relax, and looked down at the general direction of the floor between her thighs, for it was too dark to tell exactly where that was. “I’m sorry.”

The words were choked out, truly heartfelt and apologetic, but it was heard by no one. The girl’s head would move back to rest against the wall across from the door, her eyelids fluttering closed as she awaited the time her grandmother felt ready to let her out. Often, she was forgotten about up here, and it would take several hours to be released. Once she spent the night up here. Almost always it was her mother who let her out, the woman dead silent to her. When she was younger she use to apologize to her, tears streaming down her cheeks as she begged forgiveness. Now it was a silent interaction on both of their parts, no eye contact involved at all.

“It’s that rotten husband of yours’ genes, Maria. I told you, you shouldn’t have married him. Look what you’ve got now, a runt who’s good for nothing.” The old woman was quite grumpy, and sent a glare toward the hallway where a bedroom was resided and in which a little girl was being tucked in by her father to go to sleep. The younger woman, now distinguished as Maria in a disgusted tone by her mother, only remained silent. She was a quiet woman who knew when it was best to not say anything at all. The elder woman merely scoffed to herself, then pushed away from the table and hobbled off, muttering under her breath a stream of curse words.

Unlike most children hated by their family in the United Kingdom, Maya was not looked down upon because of her incapability to do magic. Instead, and maybe even worse, the girl seemed unable to do.. Anything- Anything at all. Sure, she could walk and breathe, but being productive in anything else was futile.  She cannot read, nor play the violin like her grandmother wished. Writing is impossible, as is painting. So when a letter came to the doorstep of the Preston household, everyone was amazed, including Maya. Could she finally be good at something?

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and is up to you to complete.

House Request: Hufflepuff

Personality:

Maya is a very upbeat person, despite spending most of her life being put down by family members, most of all her mother’s mother. She can almost always be seen wearing a smile, unless she is trying to do something, then generally she has her tongue sticking out as she focuses. Her optimism was developed and cared for by her parents, but more so her father, who always reassured her despite the fact that she never really achieved anything. The reason she is so looked down upon in her family is because she cannot succeed in anything. Maya and her father call it her special curse, and what do all curses do? Get broken.

Appearance:

Maya is a petite girl, with long honey blonde hair that almost reaches her lower back. It flows down in loose curls, and despite her only making sure it looks okay, it is never messy. The pearly smile would have to be the best characteristic, for without it she is just a plain girl. Her olive eyes are often incapable of making eye contact, though she tries her best when meeting new people. Due to not leaving her home very often, the girl’s skin is very pale, but let her out in the sun on a sunny day for an hour or two and she’ll be quite tan. She can almost always be seen in her Hogwarts clothing, for being let out of the house finally makes the girl ambitious to follow all the rules of this new school to not be sent home. Embracing the new place is her best bet at not getting home sick, so she does it wholeheartedly. She doesn’t have much to her figure, but she is only an adolescent and still developing. No freckles can be seen on the pale skin of the girl, nor high cheekbones or scars. Overall, she is very plain.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
Please reply to one of the Sample Roleplays below.

Maya had just stepped out from the Great Hall, finding it simply too full of people. She wasn’t quite adjusted to the whole ‘huge school thing’ because she hadn’t ever been to school, or really even out of the house. It was all so new and extremely all she had hoped for, but she was rather horrified at the same time. It made her stomach twist with anxiety, and yet her heart pound with excitement. But then she heard someone yell at her, and her abnormally large-sized olive green eyes flick upward from her ebony flats, her mouth falling agape. “I-I..” She started, then got too flustered she had to look away. What on earth was he going on about? Having only just arrived meant she hadn’t any clue about Quidditch, and ergo no idea about his mess up.

But then she saw two boys round the corner, and heard as they made fun of the boy who had blew up at her. Oh, so he thought she had been following after him to do the same. How horrible. Instantly her compassion took over, for she felt nothing but utter sympathy for the boy in front of her, despite the fact he had literally blew up at her.

“H-Hey.. At least you aren’t me. Only one mistake? That isn’t bad.” Her features sunk. “Oh.. You lost the game because of it? I’m terribly sorry.” She looks away, biting down on her lower lip. How to make this better.. How.. Well, what would her father do? That’s right! He would make him feel better with a story of his own, so Maya would do the same with one of hers.

“Back to the whole thing about at least not being me, I’m the biggest screw-up there is. I can’t read, nor write, nor play the violin or sing. Want me to dance? Can’t. Want me to draw you a picture? You’re out of luck.” She would then smile wide at him, revealing the pearly white teeth residing inside. “But if you want me to breathe, or talk, or walk, or smile, then I’m your girl! Hell, I can even blink my eyes every once in awhile.” Oh how Maya hoped this was helping.. Sure, her nerves were getting to her, but it didn’t escape her happy façade.

“I’m sure you can do one of those things, or at least better than me.” She closed her eyes, tilted her head, and simply smiled at the angered boy, allowing her fingers to lace at the small of her back, just under her long honey blonde curls.

→ ABOUT YOU.

Please list any characters you have on the site (current and previous): None

How did you find us?: Recommended
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 at 15:00 by Gregory Noble »

Cedric Galyn

(07/04/2015 at 04:16)
  • Healer & Apothecary - Emergency & Triage
  • C20D10T20S10
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner!
    • View Profile
Hi Maya!  Welcome to HS.net!

Your application is absolutely ready to be accepted, but I just need you quickly indicate which subject will be your magical strength and which your magical weakness.  Based on your biography, I gather that Maya has difficulties with pretty much everything, so my understanding is that you wanted to indicate that she's going to be a rudimentary ability level when she arrives at Hogwarts, and that's fine! It makes for an interesting character problem.

However, we ask for magical strengths and weaknesses in order to give you the proper levels once you are sorted at the beginning of the 1944-45 term (May 2015), which for first years might look like this:

C1D2T1S0

C = Charms
D = Divination
T = Transfiguration
S = Summoning and Conjuring

In this example, the character's magical strength is Divination, and their weakness is Summoning and Conjuring.  Levels simply show what level of magic a character has the potential to be capable of, not necessarily what they are currently able to cast.

Just post below what you'd like to be your strength and weakness, and we'll get you accepted soon after.

Looking forward to seeing you more on the boards!

- Cedric Galyn

Maya Preston

(07/04/2015 at 12:22)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C1D2T0S1
    • View Profile
Oh! Okay then~.

I didn't catch that it was potential and not actuality.

Then I would like for the strength to be Divination, but the weakness to be Transfirguration. Do I need to enter it back into the original application format, or is this informal way okay to respond with?

Thank you, and sorry about that.

Maya Preston

Gregory Noble

(07/04/2015 at 15:02)
You are all set my dear, your informal response was fine. Without further adieu-

Dear Ms Preston,

Congratulations, your application to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry has been accepted!

Term begins May 1st! Currently, students have gathered at the Summer Campus. Your admission is joint for the Castle, Elsewhere and the Summer boards, and we encourage you to spend your summer at camp with the rest of our students. Should you choose, you may also visit our Elsewhere board via the Floo Network to visit or purchase school supplies. We look forward to seeing you at the Castle!

Gregory Noble

Tags: