Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Harvey Van Droombeeld-Application  (Read 1092 times)

Harvey Van Droombeeld

(26/07/2012 at 21:40)
  • Salem Graduate
  • C11 T14 D7 S15
    • View Profile

E L S E W H E R E   A D U L T

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Harvey Ludwig van Droombeeld

Education: 
Salem Institute (Knight Society), Columbia University (Ph.D.  Astronomy and Astrophysics

Residence:
Washington DC/London

Occupation.
Former National Aeronautics and Space Administration Intern, Former Assistant to the Head of the  American Wizarding Space Administration , Currently Head of The Space Chamber, at the British Ministry

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
British Ministry of magic

Requested Magic Levels: (see here on how to do this)
If you want levels above the usual 32 total, please read the roleplay instructions carefully upon scrolling down.
  • Charms:    11                     
  • Transfiguration:     14     
  • Divination:      7             
  • Summoning:      15           
Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
Supra Mortalitas- he was asked to join because he had made it indirectly-publicly known he supported the cause and his field of study is significantly different than what most wizard folk would have knowledge of, hard sciences, and Supra Mortalitas likes to have a wide range of people with an even wider range of knowledge. I’m not sure how the ranks work but, Class B, type 1 or type A.   

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Amalryc Van Droombeeld, Cleopatra Van Droombeeld.

Biography: (300 words minimum.)
Having grown up primarily on The VD Ranch in Applegate Wyoming, he had a very easy childhood. He was the first child out of four, to Leonardo Van Droombeeld and Penelope Van Droombeeld (nee Ellwood Luxe). He grew up very close with his distant Van Droombeeld family. He spent summers abroad with cousins, always making sure to be present for “The Cousins Weekend,” in June and December. Even though his childhood was easy and very leisurely filled,  his constant family togetherness molded him into a very bright caring young man.

After graduating from The Salem institute with top marks and belonging to the Knight Society.  He chose to go to a muggle university to pursue his love of space, and get his muggle Doctorates in Astronomy and Astrophysics, at Columbia University. While going to Columbia he was interning at the magical, Long Island Wyrd Medical and Testing Facility that his family had built only a few years before. He met his wife Mayline Arey, of the pureblooded Maine Arey family, one summer while on holiday in Vinyl Haven Maine when he was only 19. Later when he was 24 they married with a beautiful ceremony on the VD Ranch in Wyoming.

After he graduated from the muggle Columbia University, they then moved to Washington DC so he would be able to intern at NASA. Then later he worked directly under the head of the American Wizarding Space Administration. In the summer of 1971 Harvey and Mayline had their first child, Austin Atellus Van Droombeeld. A couple years later in the summer of 1974 he was offered the Head position at the British Ministry of magic, to the Space Chamber. He has just moved to London’s Mayfair neighborhood with his wife and son, for his position at the ministry.

Roleplay: (If you are requesting Exceptional levels - above 32 total - please respond to the roleplay and questions here instead)
Reply as your character to the following:

It was impossible for Dianne to stay out of trouble. It wasn't that she was looking for trouble, it's just that trouble always managed to find her. Today she wished she could find something equally familiar but more comforting.

The five-year old girl hugged her puffskein closer to her and brushed her face in its soft fur for comfort. She had named him herself and he was always her special pet. No she was certain she had never gone down this side street before. Her anxiety increased every second as darkness fell as she walked down the road. A loud noise came to her left and she buried her face in her pet's fur completely. The scared girl bolted the opposite way slamming the both of them into the wall of the nearest building. Tottering back a few steps she found a door a few feet to her right and ran to open it. What light there was inside spilled out into the darkness and she spilled into the room.

Once in, she was caught between the impulse to curl her cloak up more tightly around her and loosen her grip on it. She wasn't alone anymore but she was now among strangers instead, which was nearly as terrifying. Her puffskein had recovered from the shock of the wall and now was purring contentedly as the girl hugged it, causing a mildly calming effect on the girl. Gathering her courage, she marched up to the nearest person, pulled on the nearest clothing hem and blurted out in a loud voice:

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy."

To explain the scared girl held up the custard-colored puffskein. Sambundeakin the puffskein, however simply purred as if nothing on earth was wrong in the world.

Roleplay Response:

Harvey had been very busy in his laboratory. He had been scribbling away math equations on his chalk board late into the evening when his wife arrived. She had brought him his dinner, as he had been too busy working to go home and eat. She pulled out one of his favorite minced meat pies from a small shop down the street from their house, a small plate rounded over with peanut butter cookies, and a mug of freshly brewed tea. To top it off she had waited to put their three year old son, Austin to bed. So he could kiss daddy good night.

Harvey beamed at them and hugged Austin tight as he munched on a cookie. His wife was too good to him. He set little Austin back into the stroller and went back over to the chalk board to explain what he was working on to his wife, their backs turned to the door. He explained to his wife that he was mixing his love of magic and physics trying to come up with formulations that would help him understand space. He was hoping to be able to come up with a way to be able to break past the earth’s atmosphere with magic so wizards could, like the muggles had a few years back, get to the moon.

A few moments later Harvey did not notice as a little girl bundled up came through the door. Harvey felt a tug on his lab coat. He presumed it was little Austin, he turned and bent down only to find it was a little girl instead.

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy." Then the little girl help up the puffskin.

Harvey’s wife Mayline turned and gasped before Harvey was able to respond. “Oh poor child… come… have some tea and cookies.” Mayline picked up the plate and a cup and handed them to the girl. Harvey watched and asked the little girl , her name and what her address was.

OTHER
How did you find us? Other

EXCEPTIONAL LEVELS
Answer these questions only if you are requesting levels above 32.

Why are you requesting higher than usual levels? e.g. Is your character a professor/auror/etc.? (1-2 sentences minimum):
I believe someone with his caliber of specialties  and what he does for work. The Head of the Space Chamber. He would have levels above the normal 32 rule. High magic levels would be required of someone who studies space, since space is on such a large scale.

Roleplay:

Mr. Grunch smirked as stepped into the shadows beneath the overhanging eaves at the side of the street. There was a sort of alcove here, where two buildings came together, and the wall was set back just a couple of feet to make space for a drain from the battered lead guttering. It made it difficult to see if anyone was standing there until you were almost on top of it, and the shape of the roof up above cast an almost permanent shadow even then.

There were a number of such places along Knockturn Alley and Mr. Grunch knew them all.

Seeing nobody was nearby, he quickly cast the concealment spell that would obscure his features, making him unrecognizable, just a blur beneath the cowl of his thick, but worn, robes. He knew his target, had identified them some time before, as they entered the Alley. He had shadowed them, discretely, and now, he knew, they were heading back out again, towards the safety of the better lit Diagon Alley.

He heard the footsteps approaching. This was it, then. Just before they reached the alcove, he stepped out suddenly in front of his target, wand raised and ready.

"Give me all yer galleons, and any jewelry yer got! Don't try to hide nothin', 'cos I'll know, right? Do it now!"

Roleplay Response:
It had been a very long day at the Ministry for Harvey. The work wasn’t the issue; the issue was all the people who assumed he wasn’t doing anything in the Space Chamber so he would constantly get requests for him to go help in other parts of the Ministry. Things he solved today that were not related to his Space chamber included: Stop a multiplying wave of puffskins from taking over then lobby, shutting off a car alarm, showing a guy how to use a mechanical pencil, and stopping a parade of charmed stationary exorcise bicycles. Oh and it was just now, his lunch break.

He was told, the fastest way to the Italian restaurant his wife was meeting him at was a little short cut through Knockturn Alley.  New to London in general, and even newer to Knockturn Alley, he was kind of creeped out.

A man in dark robes jumped out at him from a small shadowed area. The man’s face…  well the man did not have a face, just a blur. As the man raised his wand he said, "Give me all yer galleons, and any jewelry yer got! Don't try to hide nothin', 'cos I'll know, right? Do it now!"

Harvey froze, was this guy for real? Harvey slowly nodded. “U-um of c-course. Just…. Just take it slow.”

Harvey slowly put his hand into his back pocket to take out his wallet. He put his other hand into his side pocket to grab his wand. He slowly took his wallet out and showed it to the blur faced man, but Harvey knowing the man would have no idea the wallet was used this to his advantage. Small minded wizard folk, Harvey thought.

Then with the confusion he hoped his wallet would make he wiped his wand out and pointed it at the place where the face should be  on the dark robed man, he lets out a chain of spells “Confundus. Incarcerous. Mobilcorpus.”

« Last Edit: 28/07/2012 at 12:55 by J. Walsingham »

* Meriwether Throckmorton

(27/07/2012 at 06:17)
  • Ravenclaw House Ghost
    • View Profile
Hey Harvey!

Your application looks great, but I'm going to have to ask you to make a couple changes before we can accept it. Your request for ties to Supra Mortalitas, for example: Please remove references as such and PM an Administrator (such as Margot Lecuyier or J. Walsingham) with your request. Same goes for with your request for being the department head for the Space Room. The Ministry is undergoing a bit of a facelift at the current, so again I'd recommend PMing an Admin!

Thanks for your patience. Please repost your application here with the changes requested.

- Merry
Your arms wrapped around home
◦  A l l   t h e   i n - b e t w e e n s   ◦
Lay so blue beside me
◦  W e   f e l l !  ◦

Harvey Van Droombeeld

(27/07/2012 at 15:47)
  • Salem Graduate
  • C11 T14 D7 S15
    • View Profile

E L S E W H E R E   A D U L T

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Harvey Ludwig Van Droombeeld

Education:  
Salem Institute (Knight Society), Columbia University (Ph.D.  Astronomy and Astrophysics 

Residence: 
Washington DC/ London

Former National Aeronautics and Space Administration Intern, Former Assistant to the Head of the  American Wizarding Space Administration

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
Ministry

Requested Magic Levels:

• Charms: 13
  • Transfiguration: 14
  • Divination: 7
  • Summoning: 11

Amalryc Van Droombeeld, Cleopatra Van Droombeeld

Having grown up primarily on The VD Ranch in Applegate Wyoming, he had a very easy childhood. He was the first child out of four, to Leonardo Van Droombeeld and Penelope Van Droombeeld (nee Ellwood Luxe). He grew up very close with his distant Van Droombeeld family. He spent summers abroad with cousins, always making sure to be present for “The Cousins Weekend,” in June and December. Even though his childhood was easy and very leisurely filled,  his constant family togetherness molded him into a very bright caring young man. 

After graduating from The Salem institute with top marks and belonging to the Knight Society.  He chose to go to a muggle university to pursue his love of space, and get his muggle Doctorates in Astronomy and Astrophysics, at Columbia University. While going to Columbia he was interning at the magical, Long Island Wyrd Medical and Testing Facility that his family had built only a few years before. He met his wife Mayline Arey, of the pureblooded Maine Arey family, one summer while on holiday in Vinyl Haven Maine when he was only 19. Later when he was 24 they married with a beautiful ceremony on the VD Ranch in Wyoming. 

After he graduated from the muggle Columbia University, they then moved to Washington DC so he would be able to intern at NASA. Then later he worked directly under the head of the American Wizarding Space Administration. In the summer of 1971 Harvey and Mayline had their first child, Austin Atellus Van Droombeeld. A couple years later in the summer of 1974 he was offered the Head position at the British Ministry of magic, to the Space Chamber. He has just moved to London’s Mayfair neighborhood with his wife and son, for his position at the ministry. 

Roleplay: (If you are requesting Exceptional levels - above 32 total - please respond to the roleplay and questions here instead)

It was impossible for Dianne to stay out of trouble. It wasn't that she was looking for trouble, it's just that trouble always managed to find her. Today she wished she could find something equally familiar but more comforting.

The five-year old girl hugged her puffskein closer to her and brushed her face in its soft fur for comfort. She had named him herself and he was always her special pet. No she was certain she had never gone down this side street before. Her anxiety increased every second as darkness fell as she walked down the road. A loud noise came to her left and she buried her face in her pet's fur completely. The scared girl bolted the opposite way slamming the both of them into the wall of the nearest building. Tottering back a few steps she found a door a few feet to her right and ran to open it. What light there was inside spilled out into the darkness and she spilled into the room.

Once in, she was caught between the impulse to curl her cloak up more tightly around her and loosen her grip on it. She wasn't alone anymore but she was now among strangers instead, which was nearly as terrifying. Her puffskein had recovered from the shock of the wall and now was purring contentedly as the girl hugged it, causing a mildly calming effect on the girl. Gathering her courage, she marched up to the nearest person, pulled on the nearest clothing hem and blurted out in a loud voice:

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy."

To explain the scared girl held up the custard-colored puffskein. Sambundeakin the puffskein, however simply purred as if nothing on earth was wrong in the world.

Roleplay Response:
.Harvey had been very busy in his laboratory. He had been scribbling away math equations on his chalk board late into the evening when his wife arrived. She had brought him his dinner, as he had been too busy working to go home and eat. She pulled out one of his favorite minced meat pies from a small shop down the street from their house, a small plate rounded over with peanut butter cookies, and a mug of freshly brewed tea. To top it off she had waited to put their three year old son, Austin to bed. So he could kiss daddy good night.

Harvey beamed at them and hugged Austin tight as he munched on a cookie. His wife was too good to him. He set little Austin back into the stroller and went back over to the chalk board to explain what he was working on to his wife, their backs turned to the door. He explained to his wife that he was mixing his love of magic and physics trying to come up with formulations that would help him understand space. He was hoping to be able to come up with a way to be able to break past the earth’s atmosphere with magic so wizards could, like the muggles had a few years back, get to the moon. 

A few moments later Harvey did not notice as a little girl bundled up came through the door. Harvey felt a tug on his lab coat. He presumed it was little Austin, he turned and bent down only to find it was a little girl instead.

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy." Then the little girl help up the puffskin.

Harvey’s wife Mayline turned and gasped before Harvey was able to respond. “Oh poor child… come… have some tea and cookies.” Mayline picked up the plate and a cup and handed them to the girl. Harvey watched and asked the little girl , her name and what her address was.

OTHER

EXCEPTIONAL LEVELS

Why are you requesting higher than usual levels? e.g. Is your character a professor/auror/etc.? (1-2 sentences minimum):
I believe someone with his caliber of specialties  and what he does for work. He would have levels above the normal 32 rule. High magic levels would be required of someone who studies space, since space is on such a large scale. 

Roleplay:

Mr. Grunch smirked as stepped into the shadows beneath the overhanging eaves at the side of the street. There was a sort of alcove here, where two buildings came together, and the wall was set back just a couple of feet to make space for a drain from the battered lead guttering. It made it difficult to see if anyone was standing there until you were almost on top of it, and the shape of the roof up above cast an almost permanent shadow even then.

There were a number of such places along Knockturn Alley and Mr. Grunch knew them all.

Seeing nobody was nearby, he quickly cast the concealment spell that would obscure his features, making him unrecognisable, just a blur beneath the cowl of his thick, but worn, robes. He knew his target, had identified them some time before, as they entered the Alley. He had shadowed them, discretely, and now, he knew, they were heading back out again, towards the safety of the better lit Diagon Alley.

He heard the footsteps approaching. This was it, then. Just before they reached the alcove, he stepped out suddenly in front of his target, wand raised and ready.

"Give me all yer galleons, and any jewellery yer got! Don't try to hide nothin', 'cos I'll know, right? Do it now!"

Roleplay Response:
It had been a very long day at the Ministry for Harvey. The work wasn’t the issue; the issue was all the people who assumed he wasn’t doing anything in the Space Chamber so he would constantly get requests for him to go help in other parts of the Ministry. Things he solved today that were not related to his Space chamber included: Stop a multiplying wave of puffskins from taking over then lobby, shutting off a car alarm, showing a guy how to use a mechanical pencil, and stopping a parade of charmed stationary exorcise bicycles. Oh and it was just now, his lunch break.

He was told, the fastest way to the Italian restaurant his wife was meeting him at was a little short cut through Knockturn Alley.  New to London in general, and even newer to Knockturn Alley, he was kind of creeped out. 

A man in dark robes jumped out at him from a small shadowed area. The man’s face…  well the man did not have a face, just a blur. As the man raised his wand he said, "Give me all yer galleons, and any jewelry yer got! Don't try to hide nothin', 'cos I'll know, right? Do it now!"

Harvey froze, was this guy for real? Harvey slowly nodded. “U-um of c-course. Just…. Just take it slow.”

Harvey slowly put his hand into his back pocket to take out his wallet. He put his other hand into his side pocket to grab his wand. He slowly took his wallet out and showed it to the blur faced man, but Harvey knowing the man would have no idea the wallet was used this to his advantage. Small minded wizard folk, Harvey thought. 

Then with the confusion he hoped his wallet would make he wiped his wand out and pointed it at the place where the face should be  on the dark robed man, he lets out a chain of spells “Confundus. Incarcerous. Mobilcorpus.” 

Harvey Van Droombeeld

(27/07/2012 at 15:59)
  • Salem Graduate
  • C11 T14 D7 S15
    • View Profile
And my magic levels got messed up some how. They were correct on the first app.

Charms:    11                     
Transfiguration:     14     
Divination:      7             
Summoning:      15           

J. Walsingham

(28/07/2012 at 12:54)
  • Gryffindor House Head
    • View Profile
Hello Harvey!

I believe we PMd about this, and I'm not sure if you were going to edit, but would you mind removing the reference in your bio about being offered the Head of Space Chamber? We will not be offering that post IC/OOC as of now, as referenced both in our exchange and in the notice thread here.

Once you've reposted, we'll take another look at the app, and here's to the third time being the charm!

-- Wally.

Harvey Van Droombeeld

(28/07/2012 at 18:08)
  • Salem Graduate
  • C11 T14 D7 S15
    • View Profile

E L S E W H E R E   A D U L T

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Harvey Ludwig Van Droombeeld

Education:  
Salem Institute (Knight Society), Columbia University (Ph.D.  Astronomy and Astrophysics 

Residence: 
Washington DC/ London

Former National Aeronautics and Space Administration Intern, Former Assistant to the Head of the  American Wizarding Space Administration

Ministry

Requested Magic Levels:

• Charms: 11
  • Transfiguration: 14
  • Divination: 7
  • Summoning: 15

Amalryc Van Droombeeld, Cleopatra Van Droombeeld

Having grown up primarily on The VD Ranch in Applegate Wyoming, he had a very easy childhood. He was the first child out of four, to Leonardo Van Droombeeld and Penelope Van Droombeeld (nee Ellwood Luxe). He grew up very close with his distant Van Droombeeld family. He spent summers abroad with cousins, always making sure to be present for “The Cousins Weekend,” in June and December. Even though his childhood was easy and very leisurely filled,  his constant family togetherness molded him into a very bright caring young man. 

After graduating from The Salem institute with top marks and belonging to the Knight Society.  He chose to go to a muggle university to pursue his love of space, and get his muggle Doctorates in Astronomy and Astrophysics, at Columbia University. While going to Columbia he was interning at the magical, Long Island Wyrd Medical and Testing Facility that his family had built only a few years before. He met his wife Mayline Arey, of the pureblooded Maine Arey family, one summer while on holiday in Vinyl Haven Maine when he was only 19. Later when he was 24 they married with a beautiful ceremony on the VD Ranch in Wyoming. 

After he graduated from the muggle Columbia University, they then moved to Washington DC so he would be able to intern at NASA. Then later he worked directly under the head of the American Wizarding Space Administration. In the summer of 1971 Harvey and Mayline had their first child, Austin Atellus Van Droombeeld. A couple years later in the summer of 1974 he was offered a position at the British Ministry of magic, in the Space Chamber. He has just moved to London’s Mayfair neighborhood with his wife and son, for his position at the ministry. 

Roleplay Response:
.Harvey had been very busy in his laboratory. He had been scribbling away math equations on his chalk board late into the evening when his wife arrived. She had brought him his dinner, as he had been too busy working to go home and eat. She pulled out one of his favorite minced meat pies from a small shop down the street from their house, a small plate rounded over with peanut butter cookies, and a mug of freshly brewed tea. To top it off she had waited to put their three year old son, Austin to bed. So he could kiss daddy good night.

OTHER

EXCEPTIONAL LEVELS

I believe someone with his caliber of specialties  and what he does for work. He would have levels above the normal 32 rule. High magic levels would be required of someone who studies space, since space is on such a large scale. 

Roleplay:

Seeing nobody was nearby, he quickly cast the concealment spell that would obscure his features, making him unrecognisable, just a blur beneath the cowl of his thick, but worn, robes. He knew his target, had identified them some time before, as they entered the Alley. He had shadowed them, discretely, and now, he knew, they were heading back out again, towards the safety of the better lit Diagon Alley.

"Give me all yer galleons, and any jewellery yer got! Don't try to hide nothin', 'cos I'll know, right? Do it now!"

Roleplay Response:

He was told, the fastest way to the Italian restaurant his wife was meeting him at was a little short cut through Knockturn Alley.  New to London in general, and even newer to Knockturn Alley, he was kind of creeped out. 

A man in dark robes jumped out at him from a small shadowed area. The man’s face…  well the man did not have a face, just a blur. As the man raised his wand he said, "Give me all yer galleons, and any jewelry yer got! Don't try to hide nothin', 'cos I'll know, right? Do it now!"

Then with the confusion he hoped his wallet would make he wiped his wand out and pointed it at the place where the face should be  on the dark robed man, he lets out a chain of spells “Confundus. Incarcerous. Mobilcorpus.” 

J. Walsingham

(29/07/2012 at 01:53)
  • Gryffindor House Head
    • View Profile
Accepted!
just 'cause I said it // don't mean that I meant it

Tags: