We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Rudolfus Wolfe Sable  (Read 933 times)

Deidre Sable

(31/07/2012 at 14:49)
  • Adult
  • C9D7T9S7
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name: Rudolfus Wolfe Sable

Birthday: August 18, 1963

Hometown: Little Neck, Queens, New York

Bloodline: Muggleborn

Magical Strength (pick one): Conjuring & Summoning

Magical Weakness (pick one): Charms

Year (pick two): He's a year younger than his sister, Deidre Sable, so First Year, please!

Biography:

Dolphy.

Wolfe utterly despised that nickname. It had been given to him when he was but a babe.

"Dolphy! My sweet little Dolphy!" his mother would say.

When he was still a toddler, he didn't mind it; in fact, he liked being babied and mollycoddled; it made him feel so very loved.

When he was four, though, he started to think that his mother was purposely humiliating him. It was when he when he was playing a game of hopscotch with the other neighborhood kids and his sister (who had been a bit reluctant at first). His mother had then called him, after calling his sister, that atrocious nickname -- "Berry! Dolphy!" -- and the kids had laughed. He had never felt so embarrassed in his whole life. (When he'd glanced at his sister, he'd seen that she looked like she was going to severely hurt someone -- preferably the other kids. He'd immediately stepped in, grabbing her arm and, with a very-red face, hauling her back to the house before she could make a move.) On that day, he had told his mother that he didn't want to be called as such anymore. Even his sister (who was afraid of their mother, but had gathered up some of his courage) agreed, saying that she wanted to be called by her second first name, Deidre, instead.

"But you're my little angels," their mother had said. "I should be able to call you whatever I want."

He'd then reasoned that he wanted to be called like what his Uncle Rudy, whom he was named after, was called, because he was "a big boy already." His sister used the same reason. With tears in her eyes and a proud smile on her face, their mother accepted.

Rudy.

When he turned five, he decided he wanted to be a doctor, like his father. He had just arrived home with his father from the clinic, and it made his heart swell with pride and joy when he saw how his father helped and cured his patients with a genuine smile, making them smile back, giving them hope. He wanted to help people too. He wanted to offer them his strength, his optimism, his hope.

When he told his mother about his decision, she promptly burst into tears and flung her arms around him. She didn't say anything, but he knew she was proud and happy about it.

When he saw how his mother used it against her sister, though -- "See? Rudy loves medicine! . . . Stop with all that "art" nonsense and do something productive, like what your brother is doing: reading medicine books! . . . Why can't you be more like your brother?" -- he felt doubtful about his decision.

That night, before they went to bed, he told his sister that he was going to pursue a different career, like hers perhaps, if that would stop their mother from mocking or scolding her, and implying things all the time.

"No, Wolfe," she said, enveloping him in her short arms. "It would be better for the both of us if we follow what we want to do, and not let other people make us what do they want us to. If you want to be doctor, that's perfectly fine." Then she continued in a softer voice, "Mother will accept my decision someday."

A year later, their mother saw their father training and disciplining them to in such a military fashion. She'd told him to stop, saying that she didn't want her children (especially her female child) to become soldiers.

"I'm not teaching them to be soldiers!" their father had corrected. "I'm teaching them be tougher!"

"Even your daughter?"

"No child of mine will be weak and fragile!"

"Jonathan--"

"Richard," he corrected with a disapproving frown.

Their mother blinked. "...Oh." Richard was what his father's other personality called himself -- his harsh "defense mechanism," as the Sable children dubbed it. Their mother, Jane, accepted that their father had a split personality, but she was terribly afraid of Richard. "I see. Carry on."

That night, Jane inconspicuously led Wolfe into the kitchen and quietly asked if he wanted to become a soldier. He flatly said "no." She breathed a sigh, shoulders sagging in relief.

"Mother," he started in a low voice, "what if I... wanted to... become a... a writer?"

Her eyes grew wide and she croaked out in a high-pitched voice, "A writer!" Wolfe had discovered a new shade of red on Jane Sable's face. "Is your sister's nonsense clouding your thoughts? Be reasonable, Rudy!"

"Wolfe," he corrected calmly.

She frowned, confused by the sudden change in topics. "Excuse me?"

"I want to be called Wolfe," he clarified patiently.

"No."

"But Mama--"

"Mother, Wolfe. Not "Mama" or "Mommy" or such. You must not sound like a spoiled brat. Sables and Drakes aren't brats nor are they pampered."

He pursed his lips into a thin line. "Yes, Mother. But please call me Wolfe now."

"Why? Because your sister calls you that?"

"Well--"

"No," she repeated, even more firmly, staring him down. "I named you after Wolfe because he was my best friend. But I will not call you by his name!"

He stared back at her. At length, he asked gently, "Does it hurt?"

"I..." She looked like she wanted to contradict him, but hesitated then ducked her head and softly, sadly, said, "Yes."

He pressed the matter no further.

Wolfe.

Being named after someone is burdening, since you are expected to be like that someone. Being named after someone who died in a terrible car accident and then grew up in a very superstitious home, as was Wolfe's case, is uncomfortable. He'd told his sister so, but she insisted on calling him Wolfe.

"It sounds cooler," she said. "Why does it bother you?"

He didn't want to tell her the reason as to why his namesake was a touchy subject. "I just think it sounds weird."

"Well," Dei insisted, "I think it sounds cool."

He let it go; he didn't like fighting with his sister. Teasing her and playfully roughhousing with her, yes, but when she got really angry and very serious... Well, let's just stay he winces at the memory, as if he still retained the cuts and bruises. But he also didn't like seeing her (or anyone, for that matter, but most especially her) sad.

She rarely showed much emotion, but when she did, he felt like he wanted to lift the burden off her back and shoulder it himself.

Such was the case when he was ten and she'd just gotten home from that magic school in London. Their mother was furious, bordering on utterly crazy as she attacked his sister with a pointed crucifix.

Wolfe had felt like he was stuck between a large rock and a hard place. Should I go to her? But I wouldn't want to anger Mother any further... Before he could decide, though, his sister had been taken away by their Uncle Marcus, whom their father had called earlier.

Wolfe hadn't felt so angry -- and so alone -- in his life...

When the day of his eleventh birthday came, that lonely feeling faded away, to be replaced by utter confusion and a strange feeling of despair.

Devil children!

That was the name he hated the most. Especially since it was also what their mother called his sister.

The latter had been allowed to visit for his birthday (Mother had been "tamed" by Father, and she'd been civil the whole time), and just after he'd blown out his candles, he received a letter. It was from the magic school, Hogwarts.

That was when their mother had called them that... horrible... hearbreaking... name.

She'd attempted to stab him with the pointed crucifix (he still didn't know where she'd gotten it), like what she'd done to his sister when she came home. But Dei took the attack for him, just before their father interceded, holding back their mother.

After being told by their father to call their uncle again, the latter came and took the two children to his apartment in Manhattan.

In the car, during the ride to the city, Wolfe sobbed and, glancing up at his sister (who was applying pressure to her wound), croaked, "S-s-sis... W-why did Mother--"

"She thinks," his sister promptly answered, knowing what he was going to ask and not wanting to hear the full question, "we're..." Here, she hesitated, turning her head away, then whispered, "devil children..."

"What..." It took a moment for it to sink in. When it did, he lowered his head. "Oh."

Because the Drakes (their mother's maiden name, and first family) were Catholics and very superstitious, their mother must have thought that "witches" and "wizards" or "warlocks" were those evil beings, but the Drakes believed that they were instead possessed by demons or evil spirits.

What a lousy birthday, he thought sadly, sourly. And I haven't even had cake yet!

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and is up to you to complete.

House Request: Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. Not Slytherin.

Personality:
Though he likes to tease his sister, Wolfe is very protective of her, even if he's the younger sibling, always making sure that she doesn't make any - or put herself in - trouble again. Unfortunately, no matter how much he'd wish it to be, he can't always be there for her. He doesn't mind hard work, though he knows that his weak body can't take the effort; just as long as he could help someone for a good cause, then, as he always says, "it's worth it." His self-esteem is quite low because of the bullies at his school who call him a "bookworm" and make it sound like a bad thing. Like his sister, Wolfe has learned to hide his emotions well (especially when scared or hurt); unlike his sister, he's not afraid to let his tears fall. Like his sister, he loves to read; unlike his sister, he reads anything he could get his hands on (except for biographies and fiction novels, since he's not really interested in other people's lives, real or not). Because of his love for knowledge, Dei tends to tease him and call him a "nerd" or a "know-it-all." Wolfe doesn't mind; in fact, he smiles in response and calls her a "dork" or a "broken compass." When he's not reading, he's gardening, watching TV, daydreaming, writing, or sneaking into his sister's room and making fun of her drawings. Mischievous, very optimistic in such a way that it almost gets a bit annoying, patient/not easily angered, cheerful, always smiling, thirsty for knowledge, idealistic, helpful, friendly, compassionate, an absolute gentleman, dreaming of saving the world one person at a time, and always wondering why there is hate in the world: Wolfe isn't so much like his sister as he likes to think.

Appearance:
He has blonde hair and baby blue eyes, both of which he got from his mother. Because of this, he doesn't look much like his sister. He once attempted to "borrow" one of his sister's dyes and make his hair black, like his sister's. Unfortunately for him, his sister doesn't buy that color. He eventually gave up, though, when he was told off by his sister, who promised him that, to be fair, she wouldn't attempt to dye her hair again as well. Whereas his sister uses beanies to conceal her hair (which she always cuts short for this purpose) color and long-sleeved tops to hide the scar on her left forearm, Wolfe's way of "hiding" himself is by wearing a long, silver chain or short, simple bead necklace or by spiking his hair up every so often, to look "cool." It doesn't fool the bullies at his school, though, but he keeps doing it anyways; ever hopeful, ever optimistic.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY 2 REPLY.

Wolfe was reading and walking again. It wouldn't bode well for him if he walked into a marble column or something... He should research for a spell that could--

“Wait up! It’s for the paper!”

He immediately halted in his tracks and spun around, a bit startled. Ah. It was one of the writers of Spellbound, Astrid Bixby. With the name came the word "misquote." He wasn't exactly sure how he felt about that. Nonetheless, he flashed her a smile. "Yes? How can I help you today, Miss Bixby?" Ever polite.

“What do you think about serving frog legs at lunch?" Wolfe frowned, as if he was confused by the question. "Some say it’s a delicacy, but others think it’s plain gross.”

He paused, thinking about it for a moment, before shrugging. "Honestly? I don't know. I've never really tried it." He smiled. "But it sounds a bit odd, don't you think?" Glancing up at the older girl, he reached out, palm facing upwards, the smile still on his face. "Here, why don't I write my opinion down for you? Just in case I had spoken a bit to softly or quickly for you to get it right."

Of course she wasn't to blame for it, he thought. But then again, so shouldn't be the one she was quoting... Either way, the most effective method could be for the interviewee to simply write down her thoughts. That way, everybody wins. He smiled at his own theory.

→ ABOUT YOU.

Previous Characters (if applicable): Cyber Deidre Sable, Relisasha Raviina Le Roi

How did you find us?: Recommended by a friend

J. Walsingham

(31/07/2012 at 23:50)
  • Gryffindor House Head
    • View Profile
Hello there!

The app looks good, if you wouldn't mind making a small change. You mentioned that Rudolfus has a scar on his left arm, and we don't typically allow scars without requesting permission first (see Site Guidelines). Please edit out the reference for now, and if you could submit a request for that to an admin, we'll process that separately. Once edited, all you have to do is repost the application as a reply and we'll take another look.

Thanks!

-- Wally.
M Y S T E R Y
all my life has been a mystery

Deidre Sable

(01/08/2012 at 10:23)
  • Adult
  • C9D7T9S7
    • View Profile
Oh, actually his sister, Deidre (my other character), is the one with the scar. Wolfe is scarless, if there is such a term. (: But that scar doesn't have any magical attributes or anything (as do her other, smaller scars); it's just a normal scar from a 2nd-degree burn of a normal bonfire. Would I still need to ask permission for that, though? :o

J. Walsingham

(01/08/2012 at 12:44)
  • Gryffindor House Head
    • View Profile
Ah, I see. Sorry about the misreading! If it's already been approved and it's the sister, then I don't see why not.

Mr. Sable,

Congratulations, your application to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry has been accepted.

Term begins 01 September 2012. Currently, students have gathered at the Summer Campus. Your admission is joint for both the school and the summer campus, and we encourage you to spend your summer there. Should you choose, you may also visit our Elsewhere board via the Floo Network to visit or purchase school supplies. We look forward to seeing you at the Castle.

Regards,

Head of Gryffindor

Tags: