Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Edited Emmaline Sorrow  (Read 1054 times)

Emmaline Sorrow

(20/08/2013 at 00:23)
  • Second Year
  • C2D1S3T2
    • View Profile
Name: Emmaline Sorrow

Birthday: October 20, 1926

Hometown: Castle Combe, England

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Magical Strength (pick one):
Conjuring & Summoning

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Divination

Year (pick two): Second or Third

Biography:
Emmaline Sorrow was always wealthy. Her father, who works with the Ministry, has always had a decent stream of money. Her muggle mother was never around. She had a step- father and his name was just on the tip of her tongue, but she couldn't seem to form it. Emmaline remembers very little of her childhood, which was spent with her mother until she was eight. She couldn't put a finger to why she had to leave, but the very thought made her sad. Thinking about her mother made her depressed. Sometimes, Emmaline would lie down and stare at the ceiling pondering what had happened to her memories. She would confront her dad upon the subject but he was quite forgetful and never gave her a straight forward answer. Well, after Emmaline was shipped to her father's, she had to adapt to the Wizarding World. It took her not long to adjust to the cultural change, but learning the customs of wizards took time. The only school she had attended before Hogwarts was a small amount of tutoring her dad put her through. Being only with her father for so long, Emmaline did not speak much. This made it a difficult transition from her quiet home to a school full of loud teenagers. She would constantly cringe at the thought of being surrounded by so many her age. Emmaline did not care for their company. She had always preferred being alone. Still, she decided to pursuit knowledge at Hogwarts, even if it was full of those she did not wish to hear or see.
→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

House Request: Slytherin

Personality:
Emmaline Sorrow was a shy one. She preferred to spend her time reading and writing. More often than not, you could find her quietly whisking her way through the halls, exploring. Many say that her eyes looked sad, almost as if they had seen too much for someone of her age; That was on her good days. Emmaline rarely got angry, rarely raised her voice. When she was angry, Emmaline's voice could over power a whole room, considering everyone was in shock that her voice could even get that loud.

Appearance:
Emmaline was short and wispy. She quite liked growing her light blonde hair out to the point that it hit her stomach as she walked. Her eyes were a mixture of gray and blue. Her face was constantly flushed, like she was at a constant cold. Her skin was pale and her nose short. There wasn't much to Emmaline, so people seemed to forget she was there.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
You come across one of these posts on the site. Please select one & reply as your character. Remember, you can only roleplay your own character's actions, not James' or Astrid's.

Option 1:

Emmaline sat with her nose in a book. Everyone around her was laughing and talking about nonsense, but her eyes couldn't help but wander over to a boy who had sat not too far from her. Emmaline recalled that his name was James, but could not recall any other information about him. She watched him as he dashed to the halls. After much contemplation, she decided to follow him.
  To make herself known, Emmaline made her footsteps more prominent as she closed in on James. Before she knew it, he had spun around to face her.
  "WHAT! Haven't you ever seen a loser before? Why don't you just take a picture!" James had spat, tears brimming his eyes.
  Emmaline hurriedly looked to her feet, "I apologize, I did not mean to offend you. I saw that you were upset about something and wondered if you needed someone to talk to." Emmaline soon remembered hearing about the Quiditch incident earlier in the day. "Actually, I do remember, but the your team mates were also at fault. It's probably not as bad as you think! Losing isn't that bad anyways! You should be proud of what you have accomplished. Don't get hung over a simple mistake!" Emmaline encouraged with the hopes of cheering James up. She gave him a smile and turned in hoping to get back to her book.
→ ABOUT YOU.

Previous Characters (if applicable): None

How did you find us?: I was searching for a new role play group and found yours by luck.
« Last Edit: 21/08/2013 at 02:53 by Emmaline Sorrow »

Sweeney Renard

(20/08/2013 at 18:22)
  • Charms Professor
  • C12 D18 T15 S14
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Hello Emmaline, and welcome to HS.net!

Your application to Hogwarts is off to a great start, but before it can be accepted there are a couple of things that need to be addressed.

1.  You listed Emmaline's birth year as 1924.  This would make her 14, going on 15 as the start of the term which means that a request of Fourth year would be more likely.  Please either change her birth year to reflect the proper year request or vice versa.

2.  While Emmaline's biography does meet the required for count, I would like to read a little bit more.  It appears as if her mother is non-magical, which means that our recent Time Warp would have had some affect on her life and the Muggles in it.  Perhaps you can reflect on this a bit?

James gave her a confused look, "Do you not know what happened at the Quiditch game?"

This is an example of power-playing.  In this case, you are controlling boththe actions ("James gave her a confused look.") and the spoken words ("Do you not know what happened at the Quiditch game?") of James.  We only allow of each role-player to control the actions and words of their own character.

"I messed up. I'm the reason we didn't win." He says as he looks down in disappointment.

I think this may have just been a slip-up, seeing as the rest of the RP response was in past tense, but just in case, our role-play responses are done in the past tense, not present.  Therefore, the above phrase should read, "he said as he looked down in disappointment."

If you could just make these few corrections and repost your corrected application here, I would love to take another look and learn more about Emmaline!

Thanks, and again welcome!  We are glad you found us!

- Sweeney Gillespie

Emmaline Sorrow

(20/08/2013 at 20:36)
  • Second Year
  • C2D1S3T2
    • View Profile
I have edited it.

* Martin Hawksworth

(20/08/2013 at 22:50)
  • Auror
  • C24D25T22S16
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner!
    • View Profile
Hi Emmaline :) all of the changes you've made look great! I just want to ask about the age you've put down. You have chosen second year as your top preference I assume, and we tend to try very hard to accommodate that when we can, but Emmaline's birth date is still a bit off if she ends up getting sorted into the year you prefer.

Once school begins in September 1939, Emmaline will be 13 , going on 14 (according to her birth date). This is absolutely perfect if you had planned on hoping for a third year student, but it is still just a bit old if Emmaline does in fact get sorted into the second year.

Please make note of this and change the date slightly if you still wish to be a hopeful second year student! Once you've done so we will take another look at the application. Thanks!

- Martin Hawksworth
« Last Edit: 20/08/2013 at 22:53 by Martin Hawksworth »

Emmaline Sorrow

(21/08/2013 at 18:26)
  • Second Year
  • C2D1S3T2
    • View Profile
Edited again.

Eirwen Medraut

(22/08/2013 at 05:52)
  • Secrétaire Des Admission & Conseiller
  • C17D12T13S9
    • View Profile
Miss Sorrow,

Congratulations, your application to Hogwarts School has been accepted. Term begins 01 September, 2013. Currently, students have gathered at Camp Loki. Your admission is joint for both the school and Camp Loki, and we encourage you to spend your summer there. Should you choose, you may also visit our Elsewhere board via the Floo Network to visit or purchase school supplies. We look forward to seeing you at the School.

Regards,
Eirwen Medraut,

Tags: