Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Rayne Yorke  (Read 1238 times)

Rayne Yorke

(15/08/2015 at 21:46)
  • Seventh Year
  • C7D6T7S9
  • ['46-'47] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name:
Rayne Yorke

Birthday:
July 23, 1929

Hometown:
Medford, Massachusetts, US

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Magical Strength (pick one):
Conjuring & Summoning

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Divination

Year (pick two):
5th year or 6th year

Biography:
Since before I remember, I’ve lived in Medford, Massachusetts. My father, being a Muggle, was completely oblivious to the world of magic. My mother had never told him about her powers, and when I suddenly made all my broccoli disappear at the dinner table at the age of five, he was definitely in for a shock. Of course, she told him everything immediately and although stunned, he accepted our abilities. The only thing that my father would not agree with was sending me off to the nearest wizarding school for an entire school year, leaving him and my potential Muggle career in the dust. My father valued Muggle education, being as he was a professor at a nearby college. So, ever since then, my mother has been tutoring me in magic and all things magical, such as the wonderful sport of Quodpot, though I’ve never myself actually played.
At the age of 11, similar to Hogwarts, I got mail requesting my attendance at the wizarding school of the states. Of course, my father immediately rejected notion, and so I continued to study, drifting between both worlds. Throughout my whole middle school and high school career, I’ve been focused on getting the best grades and building up a decent resume for potential colleges, since I had never thought much about applying to any wizarding jobs, not that I could at the time. I had a small, but interesting group of friends that were at my side since elementary school. None of them knew about the magical side of me though, I kept that a secret at the plea of my mother.
But last year everything changed at the end of the term at my high school, when we moved to England. My father had passed away due to prostrate cancer, and my mother and I were distraught. Medford, the place where my mother and father grew up, reminded her too much of him. And so, we moved to Manchester, England for a fresh new start. Here, my mother was able to get a job through contacts from her old friends that had landed jobs at the Ministry of Magic. Here, she also would not have to blatantly lie to her friends at Medford about her job and making a living, as she couldn’t apply for a Muggle job without attending any sort of Muggle school. And with my father gone, my mother had decided to send me to Hogwarts, with witches and wizards just like me. She had always thought it was the right path for me, and I had always enjoyed watching her use her magic at home. Always curious about the wizarding world with little reason to stay in the Muggle education system without my friends and peers in high school, I agreed. By chance, a week after we moved, an owl, curious as it was, though I feel like I should start to get used to these sorts of things, appeared at my bedroom window with a letter from Hogwarts, tight in its claws.

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and is up to you to complete.

House Request:
I have no preference, I want to know what you think.

Personality:
On a good day I can actually be humorous, boisterous, and outgoing, but that’s a really good day or around close friends. Typically, I enjoy talking spending time with myself and listening to music. Not a loner, I do have friends, albeit a little. I’m not exactly an indoors person as the “spending time with myself” stereotype suggests, I enjoy biking, swimming, skiing, and I love the feeling of adrenaline pumping through my veins (and I’m positive I’m going to absolutely adore quidditch which I hear is more popular in Hogwarts). On a bad day I’m rather snippy and if anyone talks to me, they’ll probably regret it. I’m not particularly optimistic, but I don’t think of myself as a debbie downer. I dislike broccoli and cilantro, though broccoli tends to top my list. I also hate rude people, can’t stand them. And finally, I don’t like sunlight, but I don’t hate it. Darker rooms suit me more, though I’m not a vampire, I assure you.

Appearance:
Long-ish, black hair, brown eyes, I have a normal appearance. I don’t stand out, and my height doesn’t exactly help, at around 5’ 2”. I typically wear glasses, though I hate them and if I could have 20/20 vision I would. I don’t want to through any surgery though; I don’t trust the doctors to destroy my eyeballs and I don’t like contacts. Anything near my eye is unwelcome.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
Please reply to one of the Sample Roleplays below.
Option 2:
“But do you blame me? I’ve stumbled upon a quite interesting scene,” the stranger replied curiously, moving closer.

“Whatever. Go away, I’m busy.”

“Clearly, but with what?”

“My rat, Merlin. He’s run away again and I despise the garden, allergies, you know. Who are you? I’ve never seen you before.”

“Oh, I thought you wanted me to go away? Now you’re starting up conversation?”

“Not like you’re going to go away. Who are you? And if you’re not doing anything, help me look for my rat.”

“You mean that one?” the stranger pointed over to the nearest bush.

“Yes! Get him!” Hugh scrambled over to the bush, tripping over a root.

“Pretificus totalus,” the stranger said, whipping out her wand and spoke as the rat froze and rolled over on the ground. Hugh stopped in his tracks and stood up, a blush creeping up on his face. “Are you a wizard or what?”

“Oh. Yeah, whatever,” he muttered, looking embarrassed as he bent down to pick up his frozen rat. “Ennervate.” He clutched the struggling rat tightly in his hands and stepping out from the undergrowth.

“Excuse me, aren’t you going to thank me? You were quite rude earlier, you know.”

“I—You know what, I’m sorry. Let’s start over. Hi, I’m Hughes, fifth year and thanks for helping me find my rat.”

“It’s no problem, I’m Rayne. I’m actually a fifth/sixth (whichever one the admin choose) year. Nice to meet you,” she replied a small smile on her face. “I’m new here, transferred in at the start of the school year. I was actually looking for the Charms classroom, it’s my first class.”

“Oh yeah? I can show you around if you’d like, as a thank you for helping me with Merlin, here.”

“That would be wonderful, thanks Hugh,” Rayne stashed her wand away and off the two went, Hugh’s breakfast totally forgotten.

→ ABOUT YOU.

Please list any characters you have on the site (current and previous):
N/A

How did you find us?:
A friend recommended this site to me.

Rayne Yorke

(16/08/2015 at 02:31)
  • Seventh Year
  • C7D6T7S9
    • View Profile
The application in the previous post wasn't correct, so I've edited it and it will be in the next post.

Rayne Yorke

(16/08/2015 at 02:39)
  • Seventh Year
  • C7D6T7S9
    • View Profile

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name:
Rayne Yorke

Birthday:
July 23, 1929

Hometown:

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Conjuring & Summoning

Divination

Year (pick two):
5th year or 6th year

Biography:
Since before I remember, I’ve lived in Medford, Massachusetts. My father, being a Muggle, was completely oblivious to the world of magic. My mother had never told him about her powers, and when I suddenly made all my broccoli disappear at the dinner table at the age of five, he was definitely in for a shock. Of course, she told him everything immediately and although stunned, he accepted our abilities. The only thing that my father would not agree with was sending me off to the nearest wizarding school for an entire school year, leaving him and my potential Muggle career in the dust. My father valued Muggle education, being as he was a professor at a nearby college. So, ever since then, my mother has been tutoring me in magic and all things magical, such as the wonderful sport of Quodpot, though I’ve never myself actually played.
At the age of 11, similar to Hogwarts, I got mail requesting my attendance at the wizarding school of the states. Of course, my father immediately rejected notion, and so I continued to study, drifting between both worlds. Throughout my whole middle school and high school career, I’ve been focused on getting the best grades and building up a decent resume for potential colleges, since I had never thought much about applying to any wizarding jobs, not that I could at the time. I had a small, but interesting group of friends that were at my side since elementary school. None of them knew about the magical side of me though, I kept that a secret at the plea of my mother.
But last year everything changed at the end of the term at my high school, when we moved to England. My father had passed away due to prostrate cancer, and my mother and I were distraught. Medford, the place where my mother and father grew up, reminded her too much of him. And so, we moved to Manchester, England for a fresh new start. Here, my mother was able to get a job through contacts from her old friends that had landed jobs at the Ministry of Magic. Here, she also would not have to blatantly lie to her friends at Medford about her job and making a living, as she couldn’t apply for a Muggle job without attending any sort of Muggle school. And with my father gone, my mother had decided to send me to Hogwarts, with witches and wizards just like me. She had always thought it was the right path for me, and I had always enjoyed watching her use her magic at home. Always curious about the wizarding world with little reason to stay in the Muggle education system without my friends and peers in high school, I agreed. By chance, a week after we moved, an owl, curious as it was, though I feel like I should start to get used to these sorts of things, appeared at my bedroom window with a letter from Hogwarts, tight in its claws.

House Request:

Personality:
On a good day I can actually be humorous, boisterous, and outgoing, but that’s a really good day or around close friends. Typically, I enjoy talking spending time with myself and listening to music. Not a loner, I do have friends, albeit a little. I’m not exactly an indoors person as the “spending time with myself” stereotype suggests, I enjoy biking, swimming, skiing, and I love the feeling of adrenaline pumping through my veins (and I’m positive I’m going to absolutely adore quidditch which I hear is more popular in Hogwarts). On a bad day I’m rather snippy and if anyone talks to me, they’ll probably regret it. I’m not particularly optimistic, but I don’t think of myself as a debbie downer. I dislike broccoli and cilantro, though broccoli tends to top my list. I also hate rude people, can’t stand them. And finally, I don’t like sunlight, but I don’t hate it. Darker rooms suit me more, though I’m not a vampire, I assure you.

Appearance:
Long-ish, black hair, brown eyes, I have a normal appearance. I don’t stand out, and my height doesn’t exactly help, at around 5’ 2”. I typically wear glasses, though I hate them and if I could have 20/20 vision I would. I don’t want to through any surgery though, I don’t trust the doctors to destroy my eyeballs and I don’t like contacts; anything near my eye is unwelcome.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.

Options 2:
“Ugh, not again! Where in the world is the Charms classroom?” Rayne groaned, struggling to stay in balance as for the umpteenth time, the stairs shifted. They really needed to draw up a school map. Plus, it didn’t help that all the students were in the Great Hall for breakfast.
Before it moved again, she quickly jogged up the staircase and inwardly thought to never attempt to navigate through the mess of staircases again. Everything was so strange here in Hogwarts; at her old school, none of the infrastructure moved. It was a good thing her mother had given her a basic taste of magic, or she might have thought she was beginning to go insane. She scrunched her eyebrows together and took a closer look at the map, turning it around, trying to see which way was what.
“You blasted rat! Where are you?”
Rayne’s turned toward the direction of the voice. Oh my gosh, there’s actually another human being here. She walked quickly over to where she thought the voice was coming from and came upon a most peculiar scene. The boy was rummaging through the garden, searching for… something, and making a total mess while he was at it. She struggled to hold back a laugh as she curiously watched him sort through the flowers.
Suddenly, he sneezed a sneeze so almighty it made her jump. He got up to wipe the nose on her sleeve, and Rayne made a face in disgust. Finally noticing her presence, the boy turned his head toward her and spoke in a seemingly haughty voice.
“Can I help you with something? It’s not polite to stare.”
“Can you blame me, really? And you don’t need to be so rude, I—,” Rayne noticed a movement in her peripheral vision. Whipping out her wand, she spoke firmly “Petrificus totalus!
It was a rat that lay frozen on the floor, rolling over slightly. She looked at it questioningly and back at the boy, sheathing her wand. Was that what he was searching for? She cleared her voice, “Uh, sorry for the interruption, but I think I caught what you were looking for. Oh, and by any chance do you know how to reach the charms classroom?”

→ ABOUT YOU.

N/A

How did you find us?:

* Anneka Ivanova

(16/08/2015 at 15:53)
  • Hogwarts Headmistress
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Hi Rayne! Welcome to our site!

Your application looks great. There's just one small thing I'd like to point out. Awhile back our characters went through something we fondly refer to as the Time Warp. This moved the magical world from the 1960s to the 1930s. In the process, most Muggles disappeared. Rayne would've been 7 when this happened, so her father wouldn't be around beyond that. See here and here for more information.

Please post your entire revised application below and we'll be happy to take another look!
« Last Edit: 16/08/2015 at 15:57 by Anneka Ivanova »
and if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free
to those who ground me, take a message back from me
tell them how I am defying gravity

Rayne Yorke

(16/08/2015 at 18:26)
  • Seventh Year
  • C7D6T7S9
    • View Profile

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name:
Rayne Yorke

Birthday:
July 23, 1929

Hometown:

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Conjuring & Summoning

Divination

Year (pick two):
5th year or 6th year

Biography:
Since before I remember, I’ve lived in Medford, Massachusetts. My father, being a Muggle, was completely oblivious to the world of magic. My mother had never told him about her powers, and when I suddenly made all my broccoli disappear at the dinner table at the age of five, he was definitely in for a shock. Of course, she told him everything immediately and although stunned, he accepted our abilities. The only thing that my father would not agree with was sending me off to the nearest wizarding school for an entire school year, leaving him and my potential Muggle career in the dust. My father valued Muggle education, being as he was a professor and a nearby college. So, ever since then, my mother has been tutoring me in magic and all things magical, such as the wonderful sport of Quodpot, though I’ve never myself actually played.
But when I was seven, everything changed when my father disappeared. That morning, I had woken up to find myself on an unfamiliar bed with a stranger standing by me. Once I had awoken, the woman started asking me questions about my origin, and through this process, I had come to realize that it was the year 1936. My mother found me minutes later, thanking the woman before we parted ways. We searched for our father, but our memories were hazy for some reason and after a few years, we were forced to give up. My mother and I attempted to adjust, but it was difficult and the worst challenge was the absence of my father. Medford, the place where my mother and father grew up, brought painful reminders to my mother. In addition, the confusion of his absence and the strange yet still familiar surroundings ended up being too much for her and me. And so, when I was 12, we moved to Manchester, England for a fresh new start. Here, my mother was able to properly readjust. We decided to fulfill my father’s wish of not attending wizarding school, at least until I had finished my secondary education. My mother always thought attending a wizarding school was the right path for me, and I had always enjoyed watching her use her magic at home.   
Up until last year, I had been attending a Muggle school. It was slightly different here in England, but we conformed, even picking up a slight accent. At this point, I had known that I was soon be to attending a wizarding school and had been learning magic more appropriate to my age group with my mother, though I hadn’t actually been able to use a spell due to the wizarding law.
Then, as it did every year, an owl, curious as it was, though I feel like I should start to get used to these sorts of things, appeared at my bedroom window with a letter from Hogwarts, tight in its claws. And at last, my mother didn’t have to send a rejection letter back.

House Request:

Personality:

Appearance:
Long-ish, black hair, brown eyes, I have a normal appearance. I don’t stand out, and my height doesn’t exactly help, at around 5’ 2”. I typically wear glasses, though I hate them and if I could have 20/20 vision I would. I don’t like contacts though; anything near my eye is unwelcome.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.

Options 2: (Redo)
“Ugh, not again! Where in the world is the Charms classroom?” Rayne groaned, struggling to stay in balance as for the umpteenth time, the stairs shifted. They really needed to draw up a school map. Plus, it didn’t help that all the students were in the Great Hall for breakfast.
Before it moved again, she quickly jogged up the staircase and inwardly thought to never attempt to navigate through the mess of staircases again. Everything was so strange here in Hogwarts; at her old school, none of the infrastructure moved. It was a good thing her mother had given her a basic taste of magic, or she might have thought she was beginning to go insane. She scrunched her eyebrows together and took a closer look at the map, turning it around, trying to see which way was what.
“You blasted rat! Where are you?”
Rayne’s turned toward the direction of the voice. Oh my gosh, there’s actually another human being here. She walked quickly over to where she thought the voice was coming from and came upon a most peculiar scene. The boy was rummaging through the garden, searching for… something, and making a total mess while he was at it. She struggled to hold back a laugh as she curiously watched him sort through the flowers.
Suddenly, he sneezed a sneeze so almighty it made her jump. He got up to wipe the nose on her sleeve, and Rayne made a face in disgust. Finally noticing her presence, the boy turned his head toward her and spoke in a seemingly haughty voice.
“Can I help you with something? It’s not polite to stare.”
 “Can you blame me, really? And you don’t need to be so rude, I—,” Rayne noticed a movement in her peripheral vision. Whipping out her wand, she spoke firmly “Petrificus totalus!
It was a rat that lay frozen on the floor, rolling over slightly. She looked at it questioningly and back at the boy, sheathing her wand. Was that what he was searching for? She cleared her voice, “Uh, sorry for the interruption, but I think I caught what you were looking for. Oh, and by any chance do you know how to reach the charms classroom?”

→ ABOUT YOU.

N/A

How did you find us?:

Aries Paladin

(18/08/2015 at 05:50)
  • Undesirable No. 2, Resistance Leader, Hit Wizard, Colonel of 42nd, Former General's Aide
  • C26D14T22S20
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Superlative Winner - Most Charming
    • View Profile

Dear Miss Yorke,

We are delighted to inform you that your application to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry has been accepted. Term will begin on September 1st, 2015. Currently, students have gathered at Camp Loki; your admission is joint for both the school and Camp Loki, and we cordially invite you to spend your summer there if you so wish. Should you choose, you may also visit our Elsewhere board via the Floo Network to purchase school supplies.

We look forward to seeing you at the School.

Regards,

Aries Paladin
Auror, Aide to the General
Colonel of the 42nd Broom Battalion
VIVAT REX IN HOMINE
WATCH THE THRONE, DON'T STEP ON THE ROBE