Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Emmett F. Finch  (Read 995 times)

Emmett Finch

(25/01/2012 at 05:38)
  • C8 D8 T9 S7
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Eminence Fitzwilliam Finch, he goes by Emmett though.

Education: 
Emmett graduated from Hogwarts in 1957. He was a Ravenclaw.

Residence:
London

Assistant to Mrs. Elizabeth Birch-Hurst

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (example St Mungo's, the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
The Ministry

Requested Magic Levels:
  • Charms: 8
  • Transfiguration: 7
  • Divination: 9
  • Summoning: 8
Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
N/A

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Peter Franklin-Lahm, Florence Snodgrass, Perseus Finch, Anthony Finch

Special Phrase:
Tibble’s beard of power.

Biography:

From the moment his parents saw a mess of black hair on their child’s head they knew a little on what to expect from their son. There were two kinds of Finchs in the Finch family. The majority and the minority. The majority were like Olympian Athletes, everything you could physically hope to be. They had shades of blonde and brown hair. Intelligence varied but they all had keen instincts. Then there was the minority, like Emmett. The members of the minority were, in a nutshell, the complete opposite of the majority. Lanky, pale, black hair, introverted with their strength being their intelligence rather than their physique. They were considerably less likeable and less memorable than the majority.

If genetics weren’t cruel enough, the Minority Finchs received a dorky name. It was a tradition started ages ago. The minority members, or Black Sheep as they liked to be called, were named after an intangible noun. It was meant to give these black sheep a clear identity or goal to live up to among their more gifted and brilliant looking relatives. Emmett found it as a way for his less intelligent family to explain their odd relatives. He saw the name as a way to almost set up a little lost sheep for failure. Intangible worked on more than one level for him.

Why so much bitterness? Because Emmett’s parents named him Eminence Fitzwilliam Finch. How could anyone show an air of nobility at the age at the age of three months? He realized his parents had given him this name in hopes of him taken over the family when he grew older. It was family tradition for a Black Sheep to take over the Finch family. Typically Black Sheep lived much longer than other Finchs, especially the male ones who’s daring lifestyles often ended prematurely. Luckily they were promiscuous and potent. Emmett guessed that was a good quality for them to have if they died before thirty.

Emmett’s parents gave him everything he’d want, with a princely theme behind it. His father was a lawyer who made a ridiculous amount of money and his mother was an eccentric decorator. She wanted to be a stay at home mother but the ambitious and energetic nature that came with Finchs of the majority variety meant she needed outlets. Not one, but several. He had a ridiculous canopy bed, slippers that looked like something the Sun King would wear, and a fur robe. Oddly enough, even as a small child he realized he was not a Prince. But he did have a underlining air of superiority regardless.

Especially in the way he found everything frivolous but still was slightly accepting of it. Emmett was not the favorite. His parents loved all seven of them equally. But it was hard for two parents to divide their attention and affections between all of them. There were always Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, and older cousins to give their love and attention. Still, Emmett still felt a little lost and confused. He blamed his name.

Eminence wasn’t a name like his Grandfather’s, which was Perseverance. That was a name with strength associated with it. And then there was his Extended Uncle Vigilance (first cousin once removed if you have to get technical). Vigilance, or Viggo as he was called, was an amazing name. Between Emmett and his cousin Temperance, they argued who had the more unfortunate name. He supposed there could only be so many good names.

Enough about griping about a difficult yet not difficult childhood. Emmett went to Hogwarts, was a Ravenclaw, and was good at it. He was smarter than he let on and didn’t really need to study. So with his large amount of free time he either wooed girls or looked tragically handsome.

Emmett never really had a long-term girlfriend. He would fall hard for a girl, but after awhile it fizzled out and he went on to the next girl. He liked the distractions a girl could offer but if she got clingy he instantly lost interest.

After graduation Emmett planned on doing whatever he felt like. He heard the head of his family, Grandfather Perseus (or Peepaw as his sister Jessica liked to call him), always went on about how everyone should explore the world before settling in a profession. So Emmett expected to do just that. But no, his father wanted him to apprentice with him and then his mother wanted to make sure he was doing everything he could to be picked as patriarch. That hardly made sense. Perseus was spry and healthy. And though Perseus seemed to warm up to the idea of Emmett taking over the family, he could tell that the old man was still hoping Viggo would come around.

None of this really bothered Emmett. He dreaded the idea of having so much responsibility. He expressed these feelings to Perseus, who seemed to be the only one who would listen to him on the matter. Perseus advised him that it would be long from now when he departed this earth but decided that Emmett should take some time to tour the world. Perseus felt the trip might relax his grandson and give him a new perspective. Emmett pretty much just enjoyed himself anyway he could.

Eventually he was summoned back and decided to start his career or whatever he was supposed to do. Not get married and not have kids. At least not yet or on purpose. There were hundreds of other Finchs to continue on the line.

ROLEPLAY

Roleplay Response:
What was he supposed to get again?

Emmett searched the apothecary. For the life of him he couldn’t remember what he was supposed to get for his Grandmother. Why him? He had a job and other stuff to do and not do. Wasn’t there someone else to pick things up for her? Someone with a better memory, at least for miniscule things. Emmett didn’t like shopping of any kind. If he needed clothes he’d do his own measurements and send them to a tailor. He never cooked at home. Instead he went out to eat. He didn’t shop for furniture, he told his mother what he didn’t like and she updated his apartment. Mind you, he was not a momma’s boy. His mother was an interior decorator. If Emmett even thought about hiring a decorator that wasn’t his mother he’d never hear the end of it.

‘I do and I do for you and how do you repay me?’

Emmett didn’t get it. Wouldn’t he be repaying her by not asking for her assistance? But who said the world made any sense.

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home. He misses my and his mommy."

Emmett looked over his shoulder and down at the little girl as he reached for a bottle of something from the shelf.

“So? What do you expect me to do about it? I don’t know who your mother is. You shouldn’t be talking to strangers anyway,” Emmett said. What sort of awful parents did she have? Letting a girl her age wander around like this was pure idiocy. Merlin, he had one brother and five sisters and his parents had managed to raise them well enough. Excluding Jessica of course, but that wasn’t really their fault. Maybe genetically, but not in the way they raised her.

Emmett grabbed a few things he imagined might please Grandma Charity brought them up to the counter.

“Do you take returns- nevermind, don’t answer it. I’ll never come back in time even if you do,” Emmett said. Did apothecaries even take returns? Shopping was stupid.

Elizabeth Birch-Hurst

(26/01/2012 at 01:27)
  • Britain's Most Wanted
    • View Profile
Approved!
"It seems most strange that men should fear,
seeing that death, a necessary end,
will come when it will come."

Tags: