We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: James Cook  (Read 967 times)

Scott Cooper

(24/01/2012 at 10:28)
  • Diplomat
  • C14D8T16S9
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: James Moriarty Cooki]

Education: 
Hogwarts: Ravenclaw class of ‘64.
Oxford University: Doctor of Philosophy (history)

Residence:
A dingy apartment in South London.

Freelance writer, writes for the Daily Prophet. Does anything for money.

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (example St Mungo's, the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
No.

Requested Magic Levels:
  • Charms: 11.
  • Transfiguration: 9.
  • Divination: 5.
  • Summoning: 7.
Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
No.

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Scott Cooper, Maverick Steele, Drew Dillinger.

Special Phrase:
Tibbles’ Beard of Power.

Biography: (300 words minimum.)

They say that the Irish are lucky.

James Cook is painfully aware of the fact that this is not true – and if it is, it certainly does not apply to him.

It’s a cold autumn day when Dermott Cook gets married to Briana O’Grady on a nice sandy beach in Italy. Both are twenty two years old, young, and completely in love. Both, not that it matters, are Irish. (How do you think they got lucky enough to get married in Italy?)

It’s decided that London is the place to be right now, so it’s off to London they go, with a strict ban of any singing of the song ‘It’s a Long Way to Tipperary’, a ban which at certain points are flouted.

The luck of the Irish allows Dermott to get a job as a banker with a prominent British bank. It’s the luck of the Irish that Briana has a cousin renting a house at a ridiculously cheap price and will give it to her for less. . It’s also the luck of the Irish that Briana gets pregnant just a week after they start trying.

It is not of any type of luck, however, that gives the baby a name – rather it is an unfortunate surname on the father’s part and an unfortunate penchant for Australia on his mother’s. And since it is likely that she will never convince Dermott to move to Down Under, Briana convinces him instead to name their son after its ‘founder’. Dermott, not particularly having liked history, is not aware of the significance and therefore agrees.

(For good measure they throw in Moriarty as a middle name, so that young if James is not marked for being eaten by cannibals, he can always be marked for perpetually losing to Sherlock Holmes.)

If Murphy’s Law was written for a person, it would be written for James M. Cook. On the first day of school, for example, Jim’s English teacher decides that a passage on Captain Cook will do nicely for reading, and Jim is invited to do it. Most part of his school life consists hereafter of listening to questions about ‘how are the kangaroos’ or ‘gone sailing anywhere lately’.

Or take the day where mathematics saw it prudent to discuss addition in terms of Sherlock and Moriarty. “Sir,” says Dave Parker, “What’s Moriarty’s first name?” upon hearing the answer, Dave shakes his head at Jim. “Your parents never gave you a chance, did they?”

The next day, ‘Elementary, my dear Watson’ is added to the list.

Bad luck follows Jim like a plague, everywhere he goes. It gets him leg broken as soon as it’s healed again. (It turns out that banana peels to get slipped on in real life.) It dictates that he should have no friends for fear of getting themselves into trouble, as he seems very prone to doing so. It calls him a jinx and an outcast.

But it is not bad luck that lands him in the principal’s office for the explosion of 100 bowls of gruel in the kitchen. Nor is it why he is nearly expelled for a causing a boy to spew slugs. A nice man explains to the family that Jim is in fact a wizard.

The young parents are extremely excited, and pack Jim off to his first year at Hogwarts full of hopes and expectations of card tricks and rabbits from hats. The moment it touches his head the Sorting Hat screams ‘Ravenclaw’ and Jim is quite disturbed at belonging to a house named after a bird’s foot.

After seven years of education where ‘James Cook’ ends up only noteworthy as a top student, nothing more, Jim graduates with decent scores, excelling in DADA and History of Magic. He is a bright young man, and everyone expects him to get a job in the Ministry. Strangely enough, he deems it fit to bury himself in Muggle books for a good few years, getting a PhD from Oxford in, of all things, history.

It’s 1971 when he returns to wizarding England at last. There’s nothing for him to do but to stumble across a decrepit bar with no barman. “This is what I want to do,” James Cook says to himself in a startling moment of decisiveness, and walks into the pub, only to trip over a drunkard and smash his nose.

They say that the Irish are lucky.

James Cook is an exception.

ROLEPLAY
Reply as your character to the following:

It was impossible for Dianne to stay out of trouble. It wasn't that she was looking for trouble, it's just that trouble always managed to find her. Today she wished she could find something equally familiar but more comforting.

The five-year old girl hugged her puffskein closer to her and brushed her face in its soft fur for comfort. She had named him herself and he was always her special pet. No she was certain she had never gone down this side street before. Her anxiety increased every second as darkness fell as she walked down the road. A loud noise came to her left and she buried her face in her pet's fur completely. The scared girl bolted the opposite way slamming the both of them into the wall of the nearest building. Tottering back a few steps she found a door a few feet to her right and ran to open it. What light there was inside spilled out into the darkness and she spilled into the room.

Once in, she was caught between the impulse to curl her cloak up more tightly around her and loosen her grip on it. She wasn't alone anymore but she was now among strangers instead, which was nearly as terrifying. Her puffskein had recovered from the shock of the wall and now was purring contentedly as the girl hugged it, causing a mildly calming effect on the girl. Gathering her courage, she marched up to the nearest person, pulled on the nearest clothing hem and blurted out in a loud voice:

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy."

To explain the scared girl held up the custard-colored puffskein. Sambundeakin the puffskein, however simply purred as if nothing on earth was wrong in the world.

Roleplay Response:

Weather: Dark
Time: Evening
Observations: More people than I could really have cared for

James Cook had never been one for crowds. Crowds, after all, had been the main element of what a nasty children’s playground was supposed to be. And nasty childrens’ playgrounds were the only things that Jim was afraid of.

Well, that and apples. And sharp pencil lead. But really, why was he thinking about this? There was nothing more degrading than being something of a macho barman and having to list out the number of his fears, which were plentiful.

Jim shoved his hands into his pockets and kept his eyes on the ground as he walked back home. Shopping was for strange people who had nothing better to do but to waste their money on things they did not need. And all the money that Jim earned Jim needed, thank you very much. There was absolutely no point in buying a broomstick, or whatever those children enjoyed spending money on.

He was stopped, suddenly, by a tug on his coat.

Appearance: small girl. Five, six years old. Carrying something furry. Safe to talk to.

Jim looked at the new arrival in something akin to suspicion, wondering if this girl was really a ploy to distract him while someone else stuck a hand in his pockets. This, after all, was a very crowded street. And as a rule he refrained from helping someone who probably wouldn’t be able to help him.

Still, he supposed that there was an obligation to help someone younger than you, particularly if they’re around the age where they still can’t speak proper English. And this young girl’s Sambundeakin, whatever it was supposed to be in the first place, did look…interesting.

“Well, I suppose we should get this over as quickly as possible,” Jim muttered to himself, as he was in the habit of doing.

Conversation outline: ask girl where she’s from. Keep up meaningless chatter while taking her home.

“Don’t be worried,” Jim smiled as widely as he could, bending down to the child’s level. “Your…Sam thing isn’t going to be scared any longer. We’ll bring you home, how about that? Where do you live?”

Professor Tibble

(27/01/2012 at 12:35)
  • C/S Professor
    • View Profile
Accepted.
"You threw the manual into a supernova? Why?."

"Because I disagreed with it. Stop talking to me when I'm cross!"

- The Doctor, 'Amy's Choice'

Tags: