We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Runa Alberts  (Read 696 times)

Runa Alberts

(29/04/2014 at 03:51)
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name:
Runa Albert

Birthday:
May 6th 1925

Hometown:
Miami

Bloodline:
Unknown

Magical Strength (pick one):
Transfiguration

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Conjuring & Summoning

Year (pick two):
6th or 7th

Biography:
My name is Runa Albert. I'm 16 years old and from Miami, Florida where the sun always seems to be shining. All that sun is perfect for my pale skin. Not.

I grew up in a fairly big orphanage. I was dropped off as a baby at the front doors with a note that said, "I can't do this". Gee, thanks. Love you too. The ladies at the orphanage were scared of me because strange things always seemed to happen when they were around me. They even hid me from the visiting people so that they wouldn't adopt me for fear that I'd harm them or something. Otherwise I had a pretty normal childhood.

When I was eleven I received a letter to go to a school for "gifted" students. The ladies at the orphanage jumped at the opportunity to get rid of me and helped me pack my bags. I went off to school and learned the basics of magic. My favorite being Transfiguration, I enjoyed playing games with my new friends where we turned each other into different objects or animals and the best one won.

I like to think that I'm creative and have a great imagination. I'm always got different, crazy ideas running through my head. I keep a journal of them so that one day I can focus on putting them into action instead of studying for my potions test. Ugh.

Getting that letter was the best thing that ever happened to me. Hogwarts is the place I call home. I countdown the summer days so that I can return to the place I'm wanted.

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and is up to you to complete.

House Request:
Ravenclaw

Personality:
Creative, smart, witty, funny, unique, introvert.

Appearance:
Standing at around 5'4 and weighing around 120 is a girl in her mid to late teens. Petite in physique, she has a boyish figure with lanky arms and legs. She has a small bust and a narrow waist with only a hint of curves at her hips. An oval shaped face with a small nose that makes its home between two cheerful blue eyes. She has pouty lips that have been stained rose red. Bright red tresses fall past her shoulders in elegant curls; the underneath of her hair is onyx in hue. 

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
Please reply to one of the Sample Roleplays below.
Option 2:

“Oh, come now!"

Astrid Bixby’s voice carried down the corridor, the tall blonde girl not far behind. Her interviewee – or victim, depending on perspective – turned a corner and she frowned. They were always soelusive when she needed them. Sure, they would talk as if there was no tomorrow during class, but once she actually needed them to say something, they were nowhere to be found. Gryffindors.

Flustered, Astrid stopped in the middle of the corridor and stared, her parchment hanging limply from her hand. She was a good reporter, really, and she always did her best to make sure that everything she wrote was accurate. She glanced down to the quill, eyeing it with disdain. It wasn’t her fault if her quill misquoted. How was she supposed to know? It made for interesting articles, at least, and if she had misquoted the Head Boy last term as saying he had a love for stuffed animals, then that gave him personality. Astrid sighed.

A pout formed on her lips as she turned away, discouraged. The corridor was mercifully empty, though the doors to The Spellbound – the school newspaper – were ominously closed. Corbridge was a mercifully sweet editor, but Astrid was terrified of disappointing her all the same. She hadto come back with quotes.
Her eyes, blue, trailed her surroundings before choosing a new path, and she turned down a new corridor. A figure was ahead, and her eyes lit up, an impossibly rosy smile blossoming across her lips.

“Hey!” Astrid called, her voice light and singsong. She trotted to catch the person, her shoes clicking on the stone floor. “Wait up! It’s for the paper!” Her legs aided her admittedly poor running, and Astrid gasped as she came closer. “What do you think about serving frog legs at lunch? Some say it’s a delicacy, but others think it’s plain gross.”

Runa freezes when she hears Astrid call out to her and goans. She turns around to face Astrid and sighs, thinking to herself, "Good job, Runa. This is what you get for being late to class. Again". Runa forces herself to smile politely and responds to Astrid's question as she gets closer, "Depends on my mood. Sometimes I want some frog legs, and sometimes I'd rather just have a nice salad." But before Astrid can start on chocolate covered beetles for dessert, Runa shuffles off to the library to study for that charms quiz she has a feeling is coming.

→ ABOUT YOU.

Previous Characters (if applicable):
None.

How did you find us?:
TMC

* Martin Hawksworth

(29/04/2014 at 04:23)
  • Auror
  • C24D25T22S16
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner!
    • View Profile
Hi Runa and welcome!

Your application is coming along nicely, there are just a few things that need to be addressed before we can accept it.

First off, we write in third person past tense here at the site and your Sample role play response is written present tense. Also, it is nice if you give a little more for the other 'writer' to respond to rather than saying that your character rushed to the library before they could continue the conversation. The idea is to develop our characters, throw them into situations and watch them grow, and although we do not all feel the need to write paragraphs upon paragraphs, it is a little easier to convey our characters moods and responses if the other writer provides ample time for an interaction. You can still convey Runa's eagerness to leave by saying she is acting antsy or having her internally chide herself for not dodging the other girl. You might even say that she 'attempts' to step aside in the hope that Astrid gets the hint, but all the while leaving an opening for further interaction between the characters :)

Your biography does not have to be set in third person past tense of course and I like how you've conveyed her attitude, but the bit about transfiguration games isn't something a student at Runa's level would be able to accomplish. A sixth or seventh year might only have the skill to change some of their traits for a short time like hair color but changing into different objects or animals would require far higher levels in both Transfiguration and Charms. If you would like to know more about the magical rules we use at the site click here.

If you could make a few changes to both the biography and RP response and re-post the application below, we can take another look! Thanks :D

Tags: