We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Sydney Lamont -- Elsewhere Child  (Read 732 times)

* Sydney Lamont

(28/03/2019 at 22:16)
  • Hufflepuff '66
  • C8D8T15S8
    • View Profile
E L S E W H E R E   C H I L D

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Sydney Lamont

Bloodline: Pureblood

Parents/Guardians (Are they currently played characters?):  Flannagan and Lindsay Lamont (Unplayed)

Residence: Dunoon, Scotland

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the daycare)? Nope!

Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason? Also nope!

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Adrian Alric, Andromeda Wagner, Orion Alricsson, Lupin Sol

Biography: (100 words minimum.)

She was feisty from birth.

According to her father, Sydney was worth a gruff frown and the attempt to shake his head before resigning himself to leave her upbringing to a combination of her siblings and mother. With a few whiskeys in him, he would have been overheard by his wife to say that she was failing in her duties.

Lindsay Lamont never thought she would have a third child. Her twins had been an ordeal from the onset, a bickering back and forth that required her to look after and keep from infuriating their father. It was a full time job and it was thought to be reaching its conclusion as the pair were nearing entering school. Sydney was born before that could happen and she would find her pregnancy to be a curse from God-- an absent husband, two willful cheerful, and a household that still carried the ghost of Flannagan's first marriage. 

Sydney's childhood seemed to be left to her house elves mainly. Her mother joined the St. Mungo's staff when she was learning how to sound out words and her father was forever preoccupied by the business of the family. By then, her siblings were already in school by the time she was old enough to socialize and holidays themselves became a novelty where the family was actually together.

As one might expect, she became an attention seeker during those years.

At five, she hid in her father's office underneath his desk and surprised him with several important parchments glued to her arms like wings of a bird. "Papa, I'm a bird!" did not go over well and the room became magically-sealed ever since.

At six, she took to a pair of scissors and chopped off all of her hair to look like her brother when he was returning from Hogwarts for Easter holiday. Her mother was furious, gave her a hair-growing potion that made Sydney nauseous and have her grow, along with a head of hair that went down to her knees, eyebrows thick as raccoons that covered half of her face. "Mama, you made me a beaver!" went over even less well. She had had thicker eyebrows ever since.

At seven, at the provocation of her older brother, Sydney started using her sister's makeup as art supplies. Her first great piece was an abstract painting of her system with her newly-found art supplied, drawn on the canvas of her mirror. When she woke up, Envy Lamont took the reigns in "child-rearing" and was excused by their father for what followed. The sisters were never close, and less-so since.

For her ninth birthday, Eoin had her attempt fly on a broom for the first time. It ended with her falling and breaking several bones in her body. He would say that he never heard anyone cry-laugh like that before. It was hauntingly beautiful.

Roleplay:
Reply as your character to the following:

Godric Park.

Overhead, the sky was a crisp blue, for once clear of the ever-pervasive spongy clouds and rain. The sun was a lemony-yellow presence, high in the Eastern sky, and in front of it zipped three broomsticks in a straight line, or something very like one. One... two..... three... the boys passed, their shouts of excitement echoing as they chased the snitch, a tiny shimmer reflecting the sunlight.

Far below was another, much smaller broomstick.

It trugged along the ground, hugging close to it like a sluggish choo choo train and occasionally shuttering in protest. This was because said stick was currently being occupied by a very small girl who was tugging upward on the front of it with all her might, trying to coax it into doing what it had been expressly designed NOT to do.

"John, I said wait up!" The tiny girl squealed, giving the broomstick another tug.

Begrudgingly, it drifted upward a foot, and then sank, depositing the troublesome girl safely on the ground. Janey Hurst was not pleased. In a huff, she hopped off the toy safety broom, grabbing it firmly and thrusting it handle first into the turf.

Her brother was such a beast. He NEVER let her play! She folded her arms, seething blue eyes fixing on another figure nearby.  "You!" She barked, much more sharply than she meant to.

"...Do you want to play?"

Roleplay Response:

"Do I!"

She knows it was meant to be a question, and the way it was posed dictated as much, but Sydney was already rushing to the other girl and her tossed toy broom before she was ever given room to be rejected. It came out as a partial skip, almost a gallop, so she was beside her seemingly as soon as the words reached her.

"I'm Sydney!" Rather than extend a hand in greeting, or offer any more questions, Sydney was reaching for the small broom. She had been left at the park for twenty minutes while her mother was attending to other, more important matters. After running around in a circle until the world was rightly spinning and she was close to tripping over herself, Sydney had eyed the girl from afar and her attempt to reach the older boy's flying overheard in tight, birdlike formation.

She could relate. Her brother had felt so bad about the first time she was let to go on a broom that he treated her less like an equal and more like the difference in their age would suggest and Sydney HATED it.

"Would you let me ride your broom? You can try to catch me!" Her blue-gray eyes leveled on the other girl, smiling fiercely at the possibility of this game, although she was probably getting ahead of herself. Most of the Scottish-born pureblood's time with other kids her age was during fancy parties where she'd be forced to remain a docile shell of herself under threat of never participating in them again. She didn't have a clue as to why her mother and father felt so worried at what she might do if left to her own devices.

It made these moments when she was out and about, free of her house elves and the confined of their home, cherished.

OTHER
How did you find us? Character Recommendation

Marina Lamont

(30/03/2019 at 18:53)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C14D8T16S10
  • ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Accepted! Hello, cousin!
I put my armour on, show you how strong I am
I put my armour on, I'll show you that I am
— I'm unstoppable