We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Willem Roermond  (Read 584 times)

Willem Roermond

(31/07/2013 at 23:23)

Application for Beauxbatons Academy

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name:
Willem Arend Roermond

Birthday:
May 9th

Hometown:
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Magical Strength (pick one):
Divination

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Conjuring & Summoning

Year (pick two):
3e Annee, 2e Annee

Biography:
Willem was born and bred in Rotterdam, in the wizarding district.  His father Arend was a descendant of those put on trial as witches in the town of Roermond, Netherlands in 1613.  After the trial, their surname, van Zittaert, was changed to Roermond in memory of their ancestors who had been condemned.  While the Roermond name did not strive to remain strictly pureblood (although many did), marrying a full Muggle was very nearly blasphemous - family members who dared do so were often disowned, or at the very least shunned.  Muggleborns were tolerable, but they had been raised by Muggles which was very nearly the same thing.

His mother, Truus, had been one of those Muggleborns. Both of his parents had attended Beauxbatons for their formal education -- his father an architect, and his mother a dancer.  The ballet, specifically, and Willem saw enough photographs of his mother's short-lived career to know that she had been a beautiful ballerina.

Short-lived, because in the 7th year of their schooling, Willem's parents had fallen in love. Arend made the decision to marry her regardless of his family's marked disapproval, and so they had eloped, and settled in Rotterdam.  And, a year and four months later, they had a baby boy.

Willem was the second child, however -- and it was his older brother Guus who sat beside him now, ruffling his dark hair.

"Doe dat niet!"  He swatted at the blonde nineteen year old grumpily, watching the summer sun set below the cityscape from the townhouse's front stoop.  "I not like dat."

"'That', not 'dat'," his brother corrected goodnaturedly.  "But you are improving."

"I can talk French," Willem muttered.  "I not know why you talk me to talk English."

"I can speak French," Guus snorted.  "You do not know why I told you to speak English.  And it is for your own good. Many people speak English, and if you want to travel anywhere in the world that is not South Africa, then it is a good idea."

"Het is dom," Willem only grunted in reply, but it was nice to have his older brother around, regardless. Guus was so often away from home now that he was an adult. He'd even found a girl -- Titia -- who seemed nice enough, but Guus was spending more and more time with her instead of with Willem when he was home.  Even if he would never admit it (because young men his age were stronger than that), he hated being an only child. Mama spent too much time fussing over him now, whereas Guus had received half that embarrassing attention before, and Papa was too critical even if he meant well.

"What's that you're drawing, then?" Guus asked, mercifully switching to their native tongue, and Willem looked down at the sketchbook in his hands.  The drawing was half completed, but the lines were beautifully positioned on the page in pencil, a perfect skyline of Rotterdam.  He showed his brother, who whistled. "You know, Wills, if I were that talented at drawing, I'd give up my viola altogether.  I'd probably make more money."

"No you wouldn't," Willem shot back, but he puffed at the compliment.  Guus loved his viola.  Willem only wished he could play a fourth of how beautifully his brother could work the instrument.  "How long will you be in Rotterdam this time?"

"Until October, I think," was the reply.  "Mama and Papa wanted me here for Opa's eightieth birthday celebration in September."  A wry smile.  "Since you likely won't be able to."  Willem nodded.  He'd be at school, studying art and magic and Merlin knew what else.  Speaking only French. It was a beautiful language, but sometimes, he missed Dutch.  "Anyway, Mama sent me out to call you in for supper," Guus yawned and stood.  "Come on little brother."

And, as always, the little brother followed the big brother like a shadow into the house.  It was one of those constant things.

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. color=#777]

Ecole Request:
Studio Arts

Communaté Preference:
Charlemagne

Personality:
A follower rather than a leader, Willem spent his childhood in the shadow of his older brother Guus - and prefers it that way.  His isn't fond of athletics especially since he was sickly as a young boy (though he has long since begun to thrive). A bit vain, he enjoys flirting and showing off his artwork, which he is admittedly rather talented in.  Very rarely with you find him without his camera, which he uses to snap photos of things he'd like to draw or paint later on.  Sometimes though, his love of his work makes him more concerned with artistry than with people's feeling and social do's and don'ts.

Appearance:
Dark brown hair, hazel eyes with flecks of green. He is handsome and takes good care with his appearance, attending especially to his sharp tastes in clothes.  An average height at 5'9", he is trimly built and leggy.

[/color]→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
The girl across from him had pretty blue eyes and curly blonde hair, and she been blinking them delicately through the whole meal.  Her name was Claudette, he knew that much from their charms class together.  The French had strange last names he sometimes had difficulty pronouncing - French was not his first language, after all.

He was about to ask her if she'd like to study with him tomorrow evening for their exam when an exclamation of surprise and indignant squealing cut him off.  Claudette, somehow, was suddenly covered in vegetable and pork.

Blinking rapidly, he noticed a young girl standing by, fawning over his supper companion with rapid apology, and he watched, amused and slightly intrigued at the same time.  This clumsy dame had ruined his attempt at landing a study session with a pretty girl, but at the same time...

He could see it in his mind.  A painting, that was, in.... oils, yes.  The astonished, open-mouthed expression of the blonde, and the horrified apologies of the other girl dumping her food everywhere.  Odd choice for a subject, but he liked it. He liked capturing mistakes.  They seemed more human somehow.

"Wait!" He called out in French, and then looked sheepish. "Please hold still for just a moment..."  Rummaging in his bag, he took out the camera and quickly snapped the photograph.  "There, thank you..."

→ ABOUT YOU.

Previous Characters (if applicable):
Arianrhod Medraut & Co.

How did you find us?:
Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

Eirwen Medraut

(01/08/2013 at 02:08)
  • Secrétaire Des Admission & Conseiller
  • C17D12T13S9
    • View Profile

Mr Roermond,

Congratulations, your application to Beauxbatons Academy has been accepted. Term begins 01 September, 2013. Currently, students have gathered at Camp Loki. Your admission is joint for both the school and Camp Loki, and we encourage you to spend your summer there. Should you choose, you may also visit our Elsewhere board via the Floo Network to visit or purchase school supplies. We look forward to seeing you at the School.

Regards,
Eirwen Medraut,
Secrétaire Des Admission & Conseiller

Tags: