We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Earnest Tarquin Knutsworth  (Read 734 times)

Earnest T Knutsworth

(26/09/2012 at 18:41)

E L S E W H E R E   A D U L T

CHARACTER INFORMATION

Character Name: Earnest Tarquin Knutsworth

Education:
Hemplesteads Home for Honoured Heir's 4-9
Home 9-11
Hogwarts 11-18

Residence:
The Waltz

Butler and Valet to one Jackalope Furcifur

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
The Waltz

Requested Magic Levels:

Charms: C10
   Transfiguration: T9
   Divination: D2
   Summoning: S11

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Evander Ellux, Rupert Myridor, Penelope Wynovain et al

Biography: (300 words minimum.)
Earnest was born into the Knutsworth family. They were rich, powerful and proud. Everything a pureblooded Wizarding family ought to be. Up until the age of 9 he attended the best preschool money could buy. That was until the fortune was lost. Earnest never spoke about the lost fortune, or his family after that.

Hogwarts came and went, and Earnest remained in the background, blending in, studying and biding his time. What he did after Hogwarts only few can say they are privy to that information. Travelling. That's what Earnest would say if his activities from the age of 18 were enquired about.

The truth of the matter was, that Earnest had never liked the family way. Yes, he still spoke as though he had a plum in his mouth, but he lived by modest means. He enjoyed reading, walking, watching, writing. He liked writing a great deal.

After his "travels" Earnest settled to work for a moderately well off family in the heart of the English countryside. He was little more than a housekeeper and chauffeur. He worked there for a year. Exactly. To the day. No more, no less, which of course was all he needed for an exemplary reference. Although perhaps if he had known his next position was to be at the Waltz, then perhaps he would have left a little sooner. A year's worth of endless gossip from the lady of the house had turned his brain to pig swill he was sure.

Currently, Earnest was -he supposed- Butler to Mr Jackelope Furcifur. A position he strangely enjoyed. There were no two days the same, there was always plenty to do and the pay was undeniably generous. (Although considering some of the tasks required of Earnest, the pay was no-less than justified). He had his own little ....rooms. A kitchen/diner and an En-suite bathroom, on the furthest side away from the noise. Not that he got to bed any earlier than 2am on any given night, but at least the mornings were late starting. Most of the time.

All in all Earnest was quite content. For now.

Roleplay: 
Reply as your character to the following:

It was impossible for Dianne to stay out of trouble. It wasn't that she was looking for trouble, it's just that trouble always managed to find her. Today she wished she could find something equally familiar but more comforting.

The five year old girl hugged her puffskein closer to her and brushed her face in its soft fur for comfort. She had named him herself and he was always her special pet. No she was certain she had never gone down this side street before. Her anxiety increased every second as darkness fell as she walked down the road. A loud noise came to her left and she buried her face in her pet's fur completely. The scared girl bolted the opposite way slamming the both of them into the wall of the nearest building. Tottering back a few steps she found a door a few feet to her right and ran to open it. What light there was inside spilled out into the darkness and she spilled into the room.

Once in, she was caught between the impulse to curl her cloak up more tightly around her and loosen her grip on it. She wasn't alone anymore but she was now among strangers instead, which was nearly as terrifying. Her puffskein had recovered from the shock of the wall and now was purring contentedly as the girl hugged it, causing a mildly calming effect on the girl. Gathering her courage, she marched up to the nearest person, pulled on the nearest clothing hem and blurted out in a loud voice:

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy."

To explain the scared girl held up the custard-colored puffskein. Sambundeakin the puffskein, however simply purred as if nothing on earth was wrong in the world.

Roleplay Response:
A long evening stretched ahead, and Earnest found himself not dreading it in the least. The previous evening had been quiet. It seemed his Employer was elsewhere and had not needed Earnest's services. Had he been at his last establishment, then he would have taken that time to clean, but thankfully, here, there were designated cleaners.

Tonight, it was busy, and his employer seemed to be on rare form. High spirited if ever Jackalope could be described as such. "OI YOU! More Scotch!" a drunkard at the bar called over to Earnest as he was acquiring the final ingredient in the usual night time concoction for Jackalope. It was best to get a jump on these things when one had the time, otherwise other duties would take over and time had a habit of slipping away.

Earnest of course ignored the drunken man. "Ah!" he exclaimed and set the bottle atop the counter for attention later, Jackalope's evening....guest had arrived. "Right this way madame". He always called them Madame, or Miss if they looked young enough. It was far more prudent to be overly polite than terse. "Through that door just there". He turned to ensure the secure closure of the door and was met with a tugging. "Hmm?" he looked down.

A child? Great Gargoyles that wasn't good. This was no place for a child. "Oh...." he looked at the sad little ball of fluff attached to the child and then back to the bar. He was genuinely stumped. Ask him to clean up a mass of feathery scales from the latest shooting match, or rearrange the skulls in the mantlepiece in Bedroom six (the ones that talked and had a habit of biting) sure. That was no problem, but help a lost child?

It was the deaf leading the blind in this situation. "Erm...I'm sure he does but...This is no place for a little girl. I'm sorry I cant help you" he looked hurriedly out of the door. "Look...that shop across the way. Ask for Millicent...she can help" he waved his hands at the girl, and then turned his back. This was no place for children and he was not a babysitter. 

OTHER
How did you find us? Google

« Last Edit: 27/09/2012 at 08:49 by Earnest T Knutsworth »

William Lancaster

(27/09/2012 at 02:22)
  • Head of Ravenclaw + Transfiguration Professor
  • C17D14T19S9
  • ['44-'45] Prefect Pick! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Most Likely to be Involved in a Tragic Transfiguration Accident
    • View Profile
Hi Earnest!

In our post on how to pick magic levels (located here), it states the following:

Normally, your weakest area should have no less than half the points of your strongest (round down). If you have a good reason why your character would be particularly poor at something, please mention it in the Application - it should be more than "he just doesn't have any talent at this".

If you could either provide a reasonable explanation as to why Earnest would have a Divination level of only 2 (equivalent to that of an ordinary twelve or thirteen-year-old) or alter your levels so that the weakest area is not lower than half of the strongest, we'll be happy to take another look. :)

Thanks!
--Will

Earnest T Knutsworth

(27/09/2012 at 08:52)
DAMN! I completely forgot about that rule! Sorry! Here it is revised

E L S E W H E R E   A D U L T

CHARACTER INFORMATION

Character Name: Earnest Tarquin Knutsworth

Education:
Hemplesteads Home for Honoured Heir's 4-9
Home 9-11
Hogwarts 11-18

Residence:
The Waltz

Butler and Valet to one Jackalope Furcifur

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
The Waltz

Requested Magic Levels:

Charms: C8
   Transfiguration: T6
   Divination: D6
   Summoning: S12

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Evander Ellux, Rupert Myridor, Penelope Wynovain et al

Biography: (300 words minimum.)
Earnest was born into the Knutsworth family. They were rich, powerful and proud. Everything a pureblooded Wizarding family ought to be. Up until the age of 9 he attended the best preschool money could buy. That was until the fortune was lost. Earnest never spoke about the lost fortune, or his family after that.

Hogwarts came and went, and Earnest remained in the background, blending in, studying and biding his time. What he did after Hogwarts only few can say they are privy to that information. Travelling. That's what Earnest would say if his activities from the age of 18 were enquired about.

The truth of the matter was, that Earnest had never liked the family way. Yes, he still spoke as though he had a plum in his mouth, but he lived by modest means. He enjoyed reading, walking, watching, writing. He liked writing a great deal.

After his "travels" Earnest settled to work for a moderately well off family in the heart of the English countryside. He was little more than a housekeeper and chauffeur. He worked there for a year. Exactly. To the day. No more, no less, which of course was all he needed for an exemplary reference. Although perhaps if he had known his next position was to be at the Waltz, then perhaps he would have left a little sooner. A year's worth of endless gossip from the lady of the house had turned his brain to pig swill he was sure.

Currently, Earnest was -he supposed- Butler to Mr Jackelope Furcifur. A position he strangely enjoyed. There were no two days the same, there was always plenty to do and the pay was undeniably generous. (Although considering some of the tasks required of Earnest, the pay was no-less than justified). He had his own little ....rooms. A kitchen/diner and an En-suite bathroom, on the furthest side away from the noise. Not that he got to bed any earlier than 2am on any given night, but at least the mornings were late starting. Most of the time.

All in all Earnest was quite content. For now.

Roleplay: 
Reply as your character to the following:

It was impossible for Dianne to stay out of trouble. It wasn't that she was looking for trouble, it's just that trouble always managed to find her. Today she wished she could find something equally familiar but more comforting.

The five year old girl hugged her puffskein closer to her and brushed her face in its soft fur for comfort. She had named him herself and he was always her special pet. No she was certain she had never gone down this side street before. Her anxiety increased every second as darkness fell as she walked down the road. A loud noise came to her left and she buried her face in her pet's fur completely. The scared girl bolted the opposite way slamming the both of them into the wall of the nearest building. Tottering back a few steps she found a door a few feet to her right and ran to open it. What light there was inside spilled out into the darkness and she spilled into the room.

Once in, she was caught between the impulse to curl her cloak up more tightly around her and loosen her grip on it. She wasn't alone anymore but she was now among strangers instead, which was nearly as terrifying. Her puffskein had recovered from the shock of the wall and now was purring contentedly as the girl hugged it, causing a mildly calming effect on the girl. Gathering her courage, she marched up to the nearest person, pulled on the nearest clothing hem and blurted out in a loud voice:

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy."

To explain the scared girl held up the custard-colored puffskein. Sambundeakin the puffskein, however simply purred as if nothing on earth was wrong in the world.

Roleplay Response:
A long evening stretched ahead, and Earnest found himself not dreading it in the least. The previous evening had been quiet. It seemed his Employer was elsewhere and had not needed Earnest's services. Had he been at his last establishment, then he would have taken that time to clean, but thankfully, here, there were designated cleaners.

Tonight, it was busy, and his employer seemed to be on rare form. High spirited if ever Jackalope could be described as such. "OI YOU! More Scotch!" a drunkard at the bar called over to Earnest as he was acquiring the final ingredient in the usual night time concoction for Jackalope. It was best to get a jump on these things when one had the time, otherwise other duties would take over and time had a habit of slipping away.

Earnest of course ignored the drunken man. "Ah!" he exclaimed and set the bottle atop the counter for attention later, Jackalope's evening....guest had arrived. "Right this way madame". He always called them Madame, or Miss if they looked young enough. It was far more prudent to be overly polite than terse. "Through that door just there". He turned to ensure the secure closure of the door and was met with a tugging. "Hmm?" he looked down.

A child? Great Gargoyles that wasn't good. This was no place for a child. "Oh...." he looked at the sad little ball of fluff attached to the child and then back to the bar. He was genuinely stumped. Ask him to clean up a mass of feathery scales from the latest shooting match, or rearrange the skulls in the mantlepiece in Bedroom six (the ones that talked and had a habit of biting) sure. That was no problem, but help a lost child?

It was the deaf leading the blind in this situation. "Erm...I'm sure he does but...This is no place for a little girl. I'm sorry I cant help you" he looked hurriedly out of the door. "Look...that shop across the way. Ask for Millicent...she can help" he waved his hands at the girl, and then turned his back. This was no place for children and he was not a babysitter. 

OTHER
How did you find us? Google

* Raphaël Lecuyier

(27/09/2012 at 21:37)
  • Directeur-Adjoint
  • C20 D17 T12 S13
    • View Profile
Accepted!
aime moi moins, mais aime moi longtemps.

Tags: