We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Freja Skov  (Read 851 times)

Freja Ward

(28/06/2012 at 14:19)
  • Adult
  • C7D15T5S7
  • Superlative Winner - Most Practical
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION

Character Name: Freja Skov

Education: Previously at Gokstad Academy, hoping to transfer to Hogwarts to begin there next term.

Residence: West Kensington. Recently immigrated with family to England from Denmark

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (example St Mungo's, the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?: No

Requested Magic Levels:
  • Charms: 4
  • Transfiguration: 3
  • Divination: 5
  • Summoning: 4
Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?: No, thanks

Please list any other characters you already have at the site: None

Biography: (300 words minimum.)
"Skov"; It meant "forest" in Danish, Freja's native language. Most names that Freja had known were personally meaningless words; legal labels, simply given in order to have something to call a person by. This was not the case for Freja. "Skov" was perfect for Freja. "Skov" was Freja. From a very young age, she had learned to love the outdoors, and the calm and strength of trees especially. She would open her mouth and inhale deeply, drawing air in to rush over her lips and tongue, drying them, before filling her stomach and bloating it like a chilled pump. She revelled in the abrasive rub of tree bark against her hands while swinging from branches, her ears always alert for the crunching sound of a weak limb, which would lead to the whip-crack as it broke if her weight was still on it. She never minded the pain if she did fall. Her nostrils would breathe in and snort like an animal in the cold, smelling the growing ramsons and the earth at Riis Skov, a favourite place to visit near her old home. Her "old home". Which meant "not home anymore".

Her early love of nature and solitude was only strengthened by Freja's sense that almost all other children hated her. They hated her for being tall for her age, they hated her for her stubbornness and, most of all, they appeared to hate her for never crying about what they did or said to her. Both Freja's parents and her school were quick to insist that the school children should learn English for the future. The process felt slow and senseless to Freja. The language rarely made sense and, just when it began to, it suddenly broke its own rules anyway. But, without any friends or siblings, there was not much else for Freja to do. So, stubbornly, she poured her attention into English language fiction. To help with learning, her father collected a number of old American Wonder Woman comic books, which Freja quickly became absorbed in, even on the occasions when she had no idea what any of the printed words said. She fashioned herself in her imagination as a growing warrior: a calm, adventure seeking figure, capable of the tranquil fury of an unearthed forest creature. Drawn in to these worlds and characters, Freja never bothered to learn more than a conversational understanding of the English language; just enough to read - and re-read - the stories she enjoyed.

Conversations within her Muggle family were often fuelled by Cold War politics and questions: the nature of enemies, the fear of fighting them and the glamour of those who did. As she grew, surrounded by the topic of the age and her adventure pulps, Freja developed a view of the world that largely allowed her to define herself simply by the things she opposed and refused, with little sense of her own independent personality separate from anything else. She began to see her slender build and height as a strength, and grew to prefer the company of people like herself; strong-minded people, seeking out athleticism and play fights – acts with the potential to bring pain or injury – for the sake of growth. However, she also drew the attention and dislike of people who seemed to believe that Freja’s worst behaviour was too lost in her own fantasies of black-and-white morality heroism, and that perhaps she wasn’t always aware enough that she existed in reality, not a story, that could have conclusive consequences. Despite this, she developed into a wilful but warm personality, eager to welcome and care for companions with all of her attention.

Gokstad Academy admitted young Freja into its halls when she reached the age of magical education. She took to the revelation that magic and magic users existed with enthusiasm. It was adventure, mythology and fairytale all coming true. However, with her family's recent decision to emigrate from Denmark to England; to emigrate from "not home anymore", Freja's parents hoped she may transfer to Hogwarts. Her ignored lessons in English suddenly relevant, Freja Skov rushed to increase her proficiency with the language, proud of her thick accent but terrified of it defining her new life. Though she would never let anyone know this fear existed.

Roleplay:
Reply as your character to the following:

It was impossible for Dianne to stay out of trouble. It wasn't that she was looking for trouble, it's just that trouble always managed to find her. Today she wished she could find something equally familiar but more comforting.

The five-year old girl hugged her puffskein closer to her and brushed her face in its soft fur for comfort. She had named him herself and he was always her special pet. No she was certain she had never gone down this side street before. Her anxiety increased every second as darkness fell as she walked down the road. A loud noise came to her left and she buried her face in her pet's fur completely. The scared girl bolted the opposite way slamming the both of them into the wall of the nearest building. Tottering back a few steps she found a door a few feet to her right and ran to open it. What light there was inside spilled out into the darkness and she spilled into the room.

Once in, she was caught between the impulse to curl her cloak up more tightly around her and loosen her grip on it. She wasn't alone anymore but she was now among strangers instead, which was nearly as terrifying. Her puffskein had recovered from the shock of the wall and now was purring contentedly as the girl hugged it, causing a mildly calming effect on the girl. Gathering her courage, she marched up to the nearest person, pulled on the nearest clothing hem and blurted out in a loud voice:

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy."

To explain the scared girl held up the custard-colored puffskein. Sambundeakin the puffskein, however simply purred as if nothing on earth was wrong in the world.

Roleplay Response:

The thick air hung over Freja like an oppressive, fat stalker. It wasn't so much like being inside a book store as being inside a big gris. No, wait. What was the English word again? A pig! It felt like being inside the belly of a gigantic pig, with books in it. Freja stretched her shoulder muscles while her eyes scanned the shelves. In front of her was a large selection of books about magic for first year students, which Freja was searching through. Her English had improved greatly over the last few months but simple conversations were one thing. Following magical instruction in a second language was something else. She'd reasoned that books written for younger students would lay out their lessons in the simplest words possible, providing a base for her to build on for her coursework, if the transfer to Hogwarts was accepted for the coming term. She pulled a slim book off the shelf to skim through when the nearby door to outside opened a few feet behind her.

Something tugged on Freja's pants while she was reading. She pulled her hips away to the side and looked down. Standing beside her was a small girl, with what appeared to be a blowdried hairball on her shoulder. The girl then spoke in the volume that only children can get away with indoors.

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

Freja could only assume that this 'Sambundeakin' was the hairball. The girl quickly added, "He misses my and his mommy." She held the small thing up towards Freja. It purred like a living cat. Freja slid the book that she was holding back onto its shelf and muttered under her breath in a tired voice, "for helvede!" She assumed the girl would not understand this and looked down at her. Really, she was just a kid. Who else was around to help her? "I can protect you and this Sam from the dark,” said Freja, "if you come with me and help me find your mother." She offered the girl her hand.

Phineas Malthus

(29/06/2012 at 03:26)
  • Gryffindor House Ghost
    • View Profile
Accepted! Welcome!

Tags: