We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Maggie Mae Ross  (Read 733 times)

Maggie Mae Ross

(18/07/2012 at 17:05)
  • First Year
  • C1D1T2S0
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name:Maggie Mae Ross

Name of Hogwarts or Elsewhere Character:

Birthdate:September 11, 1961

Year: First

Hometown:Rockford, IL

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Magical Strength (pick one):
Transfiguration

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Conjuring & Summoning

Previous Education: Type in your response here.
Public School in Rockford, IL

Biography: Dear President Winchester,

I am writing this letter on behalf of my daughter, Maggie Mae Ross, who just turned 11 and received a letter from the Salem Institute for Young Wizards and Witches.  I am exicted that another member of our family has the “magical” gift, but there are a few things that you should know about young Maggie Mae.

First of all, no one in my immediate family – with the exception of my parents of course – know that I attended Salem as a child; not even Maggie.  I have not shared this letter with my wife, nor have I shown it to Maggie.  No one is aware of my gift, and I have put my magical past behind me.  With each of my daughters turning 11, I have waited for the letter of their acceptance.  I was relieved when a letter did not arrive for the first two.  Don’t get me wrong, I am excited to be sending Maggie to Salem and I want her to have this opportunity.  Salem was the best seven years of my life.  I am just not sure how I will be explaining sending Maggie (and just Maggie) to a school over 1,000 miles away. 

Shortly after graduation, following in my father’s footsteps, I enlisted in the United States Navy.  I met my wife during basic training at Lake Michigan.  She was a waitress in a restaurant and it was love at first site (for me at least).  We were wed a little over a year later and have four beautiful children together.  Maggie has two older sisters, Mary Jane (15) and Sadie Michelle (13), and a younger brother, Maxwell Jude (6).  I attended all the births of my children, except for Maggie’s.  I was serving in Vietnam at the time, and was not able to meet her until she was almost a year old.

Being in the military, we have moved around for much of Maggie’s life.  In fact, our home in Rockford, IL is the first time we have lived anywhere for longer than 6-9 months at a time.  All of this moving has taken a toll on my youngest daughter, I fear, as she is very shy and has an extremely hard time making friends.  Academically, I think she will do fine, although I haven’t taught her anything about the wizarding world.

This letter is intended to confirm her attendance at Salem Institute.  I will think of something to tell my wife, even if I eventually have to tell her the truth.  Please let me know if you believe that there is anything that I can do to make this transition a little bit easier for Maggie.

Sincerely,

Capt. Walter S. Ross

Captain Walter Sullivan Ross
United States Navy

Sample Roleplay:
What were partner projects about anyway?

Simon wasn't a loner, but he loathed any type of assignment that required him to team up with anyone. In his book, the only truly trustworthy student was himself. So naturally, when he'd been instructed to team of with a classmate and turn in a research report on the Muggle-American Civil War, Simon had been rather disappointed.

The library that afternoon was deserted aside from Simon and his partner. Before them lay a plethora of textbooks. Wars: Old and New by Kevin Torvalt. When You Say Civil... by Emma Jean. Each book was old and worn even more than the last. In a way, it was almost impressive that the books had lasted this long and still been put to such good use. Simon figured that there weren't many things for which that could be said.

Simon leafed through a copy of Understanding America by Harvey Wires, sighing heavily as each page flipped over on top of itself. He wondered what the student next to him was thinking. He was thinking that this was a drag. These books were probably boring beyond belief, despite their interesting appearance. The library was stuffy from the heat outside. Finally growing too bored from the text, Simon slammed the book shut and sat upright.

"How about I write the essay and stuff? You can just put your name on it. Sound good?"

Sample Roleplay Response:
Maggie normally spent a lot of time in the library not because she liked books, but because it was generally a pretty quite place without many people around.  Today was no exception, the library was completely empty.  Empty, except for Simon.  A person here and there didn’t bother Maggie, except he was here with her and that’s what bothered her.  She normally preferred to do partner projects by herself, they way she didn’t have to socialize with people, but they had no choice on this project.  Everybody paired up quickly, and Maggie was left to be partners with Simon.

Maggie never even contemplated his offer for a second.  While most students would probably jump at that offer, it didn’t appeal to Maggie.  She wanted to earn her grade, just like Simon did.  Maggie grabbed a book off of the mound that set before the two of them.  She began leafing through Wars: Old and New by Kevin Torvalt.

“I’ll be helping you with this essay, whether you like it or not.  Besides, I’m sure the professor would know some charm or something that could reveal that you did all the work.  Then I’d be sure to failed the class, and possibly get expelled from the Institute.

OTHER
How did you find us? Google   

* J.Q. Winchester

(19/07/2012 at 23:22)
  • President, Salem Institute
    • View Profile

Dear Miss Ross,

We are pleased to inform you that your application to Salem Institute has been accepted. Please report to Ms. Lenore Bixby in Admissions (Main Hall, Room 206) at your earliest convenience. Currently, it is spring in our universe, and we recommend bringing appropriate attire for the climate as well as your necessary coursebooks.

Cordially,

J.Q. Winchester
President, Salem Institute

*Please note: Miss Bixby is an NPC in our universe. No need to find her!

Tags: