Calming Draught (Volen)
See also: Calming Draught for the official article on this potion
A potion intended to calm the nerves of anxious or frantic people. It is easy to brew and can be easily brewed by students as young as third year. It is often a component of other potions to treat various ailments ranging from anxiety to mild insomnia. This potion is sometimes referred to by the name of Volen. This can be administered by any hospital wing assistant in small to medium doses. If a stronger dose is necessary, senior assistants or higher can administer.
Mild Pain Potions (Acett, Profun & Nepra)
- There are three mild pain potions, Acett (tends to help muscular pain), Profun (tends to help bone pain) and Nepra (tends to help generalized pain). The preference for which potion to use is at the discretion of the patient or the nursing staff. These potions are often the first thing given for pain as they do not have side effects like the heavier, narcotic-like pain potions do. These pain potions are best brewed by someone who has passed their OWL in potions. They can be administered by any hospital wing assistant.
See also: Pepperup Potion for the official article on this potion
This potion can help alleviate the symptoms of the common cold and mild flu. It can also help combat the intense sleepiness that will come with a calming draught or heavy pain potions. This potion can be brewed, with supervision of a more experienced apothecary, as young as second year. It can be administered by any hospital wing assistant.
- This potion is intended to relieve gastrointestinal issues, including diarrhea and constipation. It helps alleviate heartburn as well and will regulate the digestive/gastrointestinal system if it has been thrown off for whatever reason. This potion can be brewed, with supervision, by someone as young as second year. It can be administered by any hospital wing assistant.
See also: Murtlap Essence for the official article on this potion
Made from pickled, brewed and strained murtlap tenticles, this will help soothe minor wounds as well as sanitize the wounds and help them heal. Bandages soaked in this can be used to dress wounds that are more stubborn to heal. Sometimes soaking the wound in a diluted solution of the essence can provide longer-term, localized pain relief. It can be made by apothecary assistants as young as second year and can be administered by any hospital wing assistant.
Burn Healing Paste
- A thick orange paste that smells somewhat like scorched hair; it is useful for cleaning, healing and soothing burns. It is easily made by a first year student and can be administered by any hospital wing assistant.
Wound Cleansing Potion
- A light blue potion used to sanitize minor wounds. It creates a micro-thin clear protective layer over the wound to help keep it clean and the protective layer will dissolve after a few days. It usually stings on application and if applied to an actively bleeding wound, the clear protective layer will not form and a bandage is still necessary. Can be brewed as young as first year and can be administered by any hospital wing assistant.
Bruise Healing Paste
- A thick yellow paste that smells slightly like rotten eggs. It will make a bruise vanish within two hours. It helps alleviate any minor pain in the bruise but it is mostly for cosmetic reasons and especially useful for black eyes. It is easily made by a first year student and can be administered by any hospital wing assistant.
Simple Pimple Potion
- Pimples are a teenager's worst nightmare. This potion will dry out and eliminate pimples and small boils. The potion should be applied directly to the pimple and not consumed by mouth. Applying the potion to an area free of pimples will help prevent pimples as well. Can be brewed by first years and administered by any hospital wing assistant.
- Intended to regrow bones that have vanished by magical mishaps, this potion is complicated not to mention extremely bitter and hard to swallow. The process of regrowing bones is very painful and requires an entire quart of Skele-Gro. Results are best when started within 24 hours of bone loss. It should only be used to regrow bones that were there previously and not to fix any sort of birth defects or to regrow an amputated limb. Results can be quite horrific. This potion should only be brewed by a junior or fully trained apothecary- students should not attempt. It can only be administered by the head nurse or a healer.
Nausea Potion (Zornan)
- Sometimes patients become nauseated and even vomit. This potion will help to alleviate both symptoms, though vomiting may still occur. The potion should be sipped slowly over the course of about five minutes, for each dose. This potion is most effective against nausea or vomiting that occur as part of their illness, rather than as a side effect of another potion, though it may still offer some relief. This potion can be administered by a Senior Assistant or higher ranking.
Heavy Pain Potions (Pheenu & Dilei)
- For pain that cannot be controlled with a mild pain potion, Pheenu and Dilei are the next step. Either potion can be used as they have similar effects, it's really a matter of patient preference and tolerance. Some will experience nausea and dizziness with Pheenu and some will experience itching, dizziness and restlessness from Dilei. If someone has these side effects, the other potion should be used. This potion can only be administered by a Chief Assistant Nurse or higher ranking person.
Healer-Administered Pain Potion (Deliria)
- For pain that has not been controlled with mild or heavy pain potions, this is the last stop. Essentially, this potion will entirely numb the body and can only be prescribed and administered by a healer. The effects are instant- they numb the body entirely and the patient usually slips into a light drug-induced coma. To maintain the pain-free and comatose state, dosing must be repeated every 8 hours. Use of this potion should be limited as prolonged use can result in permanent loss of consciousness or permanent numbness in various spots on the body. Only healers can brew. This potion is rarely used and a thorough screening of the patient is required before it can be prescribed.
Dr. Ubbly's Oblivious Unction
- A useful potion to alleviate psychological trauma. Some believe it will remove bad memories but this is not so. It dulls the ability to remember the bad events and if the person does remember them, it is often distorted and confusing rather than upsetting. It is most effective if given within 24 hours of the trauma. Can be brewed by NEWT level potions students and administered by a Chief Assistant or higher ranking.
- When administered, this potion works with blood already existing in the body to quickly and accurately generate more blood. In strong or concentrated doses, the effects are quicker but it is harder for the blood to clot (making wound healing a little more difficult). In weaker doses, it can be used for long-term use, such as someone suffering from hemophilia or poor wound healing as it boosts the body's ability to clot. Can be brewed by fifth year or higher potions students and administered by a Senior Assistant or higher ranking.
Sleeping Potion (Amaren)
- A purple concoction that helps the patient to fall asleep and stay asleep. It is especially useful for insomnia and helping a patient who is in pain to sleep despite the pain. Not to be confused with Dreamless Sleep. OWL level potions students can brew this. Can be administered by a Senior Assistant or higher ranking.
Dreamless Sleep Potion (Lunanen)
- A milky white potion used to help a patient fall asleep. This potion is generally used only in situations where a psychological trauma has taken place and the dreams are haunting. It is not typically used for patients who are experiencing only physical pain. Can be brewed by NEWT level students and administered by a Senior Assistant or higher ranking.
Basic Spell Treatments
- If your patient comes to you covered in dirt and filth, it may be necessary to clean them off before you can examine them. Requires a charms level of 3 to perform accurately.
- A cleaning spell like this is useful if your patient comes in covered in grease or oil as this spell will siphon either material off the patient and their wounds. Requires a charms level of 3 to perform accurately.
Advanced Spell Treatments
- Alleviatus is an anti-inflammatory charm that provides temporary physical relief from pain, swelling, redness/irritation, or heat with the appropriate modifier. The spell is able to provide relief from one sign of inflammation for up to one hour at C6. This does not change the patient’s underlying affliction, and should not be used for eyes, ears, etc, below C10.
- Clears a blocked airway or causes any swelling in the airway to go down. The overall effect is to ease breathing, especially in an unconscious patient. Requires a charms level of 6 to perform accurately.
- Creates a bubble of breathable air around a person's head. Very skilled casters can even manipulate the bubble to be filled with pure oxygen to help a patient whose oxygen levels are low in their blood (which can lead to eventual death). Requires a charms level of 6 to perform accurately.
- There is no incantation for this spell as it is a matter of focus and silent work. The spell will give the patient a boost of happiness for a few hours. Especially useful around testing periods. Requires a charms level of 7 to perform accurately.
- This spell acts to revive a stunned person, returning them to normal consciousness and function. Requires a charms level of 8 to perform accurately.
- Stops bleeding in minor, uncomplicated wounds. It can also force cartilage to heal so it is useful for repairing broken noses as well, though it is not effective on broken bones. Requires a charms level of 6 to perform accurately.
- Levitates a body, enabling the caster to transport a patient as needed without hurting the caster or the patient. Requires a charms level of 6 to perform accurately.
- Changes or erases a person's memories. Ideal for helping a patient who has undergone severe psychological trauma. In a clinical setting, only a nurse or healer should use this spell for therapeutic purposes. Requires a charms level of 7 to perform accurately.