Vote for Player of the Summer!

Author Topic: How To Workshop  (Read 917 times)

Edgar Charles Marlow

(03/31/2012 at 14:43)
  • 7th Year
  • C10D6T7S7
    • View Profile
GUIDELINES ON HOW TO WORKSHOP

- Summarize what the piece is about. This will evaluate your perception of the piece so the writer knows if he/she is doing a good job. The summary should only be one sentence long, a "TV Guide version," if you will. (This may not be applicable for everything we do. Just keep it in mind!)

Step One: Be positive! Start with what you liked about the piece. Avoid general phrases, like "it was good," or "I like that sentence." Try and get a little detailed. Say "I loved this sentence! This wording here really described the character in blahblahblah!"

Step Two: Once you've said what you liked about the piece, think critically about it. What would improve the piece? Did anything confuse you? Whenever you point out something you don't like, try and say why you would change it, and give a suggestion for what to do to improve it.

Step Three: Give a generalized review. What was your overall opinion of it? This is where the writer will receive the opinion of "I liked it" or "It needs improvement." If you would like to get specific in this section, you may, or you can keep it fairly general.

- When receiving critiques, take everything with a grain of salt. You do not need to make every change that is suggested. What you want to focus on is: did your intended meaning get across to the reader? If yes, yay! If not, think about the critiques and see if anyone's suggestion or problem areas could be looked at.

- Practice makes perfect! You will not be a pro at writing OR workshopping right away! Hopefully we'll have some experienced writers and workshoppers to use as examples.

PM if you have any questions!

[All credit to Bruce Havard, whose post at oldsite I shamelessly stole this from.]

You better start swimming
Or you'll sink like a stone.
♦♦♦

Tags: