Participate in our 20th birthday challenge!

Author Topic: The Picayune Relative // [C.]  (Read 50 times)

* Calliope Archeron

(12/02/2019 at 09:11)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T5S7
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Calliope scooped her length of long blonde hair off the back of her neck, bundling it unceremoniously at the back of her head, before reaching down into the side of her boot, pulling out her wand and using it to secure the strands off her face and neck. She had a sinking feeling that the camp’s creators were sitting back in a cooled room while she wandered about with sweat trickling down between her shoulder blades in the most abhorrent way.

It wasn’t much further until she reached her goal. Calliope would see the view, since so many people prattled on about it incessantly, once and once only before she spent the rest of her summer in a swimsuit by the waterfalls instead.

Her boots kicked up dust as she trekked higher and higher up the mountain, thankful for quidditch and her general care for her appearance that she could leave those gasping for air and platitudes well behind.

“Well, well…” Calliope drawled, the words soft as if the person she addressed had all the time in the world to wait for her to speak. “If it isn’t little cousin.” Her eyes flickered up and down her cousin, noting without any doubt how even the family baby, Persephone, could outshine the girl. Then again, it wouldn’t be hard - she wasn’t an Amberghast, after all. Just a cast off branch of the family tree, perhaps the fifteen year old might have pitied her or found a friend in her cousin, had she not been so particularly dull. Calliope came to a stop near the crest of the hill, pulling a bottle of water from her very stylish, very new leather backpack. “I thought for certain you would be spending the summer perfecting your nose to that deep shade of brown you so love.”
why am I always running in circles
              between wanting you to want me
and when you want me
     deciding it is too emotionally naked
                for me to live with

Clara Darcy

(12/02/2019 at 17:31)
  • Fourth Year
  • C8D5T7S7
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Out of the many inhabitants of Camp Loki that summer, Calliope Amberghast was not one that Clara wanted disturbing her peace, not that she could think of a single situation in which the girl might ever be wanted.

As darling Calliope announced her presence with her usual brand of prancing foolishness, Clara busied herself with the very important act of ignoring her very presence. Grey eyes scanned lazily over her leather bound book instead, enjoying the feeling of sun against skin, lighting blonde hair golden.

But Clara couldn't ignore what was clearly an invitation for a fight, one which she would of course inevitably win.

“I thought for certain you would be spending the summer perfecting your nose to that deep shade of brown you so love.”

"And I thought for certain you'd be spending the summer fixing your own," She cast a distasteful look over the nose in question, fully aware of the beauty which Calliope most unfortunately did sport, but equally aware that Clara'd of course never ever admit that.

"If you can't fill that head of yours with something of worth, then you might as well make the outside look presentable after all."
SHE CAN KILL WITH A SMILE
SHE CAN WOUND WITH HER EYES
SHE CAN RUIN YOUR FAITH WITH HER CASUAL LIES
AND SHE ONLY REVEALS WHAT SHE WANTS YOU TO SEE
SHE HIDES LIKE A CHILD
BUT SHE'S ALWAYS A WOMAN TO ME

* Calliope Archeron

(12/03/2019 at 09:17)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T5S7
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Her eyes glanced over the book which lay snug in her cousins hands, something dull, no doubt for the other girl to skim through over the summer as if filling her brain that touch extra would do anything to elevate her from whichever demons her silly soul thought she was haunted by today. That long list of reasons that Clara Darcy thought she was better than others, instead of just stepping up and understanding it to be so.

“Oh, sweetie.” Calliope murmured, an endearment which never quite seemed to be nice but often graced her lips when it came to the blonde. The soft laugh it came out with noted that Clara had tried and failed to hit the mark, as per usual. All Clara could manage, it seemed, was try, try, try.

She shifted into the girl’s space, and leaning, placed one long, manicured finger under her cousins jaw, as if she might tilt her head this way and that, the touch was light, barely there and then gone again. “I know you’re just not quite an Amberghast. But do try not to project those insecurities you’ve gained from your Darcy blood.” Her head tilted. “I’m sure you’ll grow into your father’s features some day.”

She presumed this was why grandmother didn’t have much favour for the younger granddaughter. It was a great misfortune for a daughter to be born with too much of her father’s face. “Unless this is all the limited grace life has offered you, of course.” Her eyes flickered over the book for another moment, the corner of her lips quirked and she shifted back into her own little space, taking a moment to hydrate and appreciate the view.

“For someone so smart, you are a touch obtuse. Not everyone who is intelligent needs to brag incessantly.” 
« Last Edit: 12/03/2019 at 09:43 by Calliope Amberghast »
why am I always running in circles
              between wanting you to want me
and when you want me
     deciding it is too emotionally naked
                for me to live with

Clara Darcy

(12/08/2019 at 00:07)
  • Fourth Year
  • C8D5T7S7
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
”Oh sweetie.”

The three syllables practically dripped in oily and condescending sarcasm, enough that Clara had to resist the urge to throw up. Nobody called Clara sweetie, but especially not like that.

Calliope stretched out one bony finger to scratch at Clara’s chin, the reapers pathetic attempt at dragging her across the Styx, and like clockwork Clara’s own hand snapped upwards to bat it away. She didn’t want whatever disease that rat was carrying.

“This might take you a while to understand Callie dear.” Two could play at that game after all. “But I really couldn’t give two shits whether I’m an Amberghast or not. I understand you need that fancy last name and the money that comes with it to make up for your pathetic excuse of a personality, but some of us are not so lacking that we need daddy’s power to prop us up.”

She smiled a saccharine smile, twirling one lock of silken gold hair (begrudgingly admitted to be very similar to Calliope’s own) between her fingers.

“For someone so dumb, you do like to broadcast it a lot. Do the world a favour and shut up will you?”
« Last Edit: 12/08/2019 at 00:36 by Clara Darcy »
PLAY TO WIN BECAUSE
ALMOST IS NOT ENOUGH