Give our summer workshops a go!

Author Topic: Restless || Brackette  (Read 609 times)

Bracken Thomas

(08/07/2019 at 15:50)
  • Seventh Year
  • C8D5T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
WOLF MAN'S WOOD
July 5
3 PM

For the middle of the afternoon, the wood was surprisingly dark. He wondered how the floor could be covered so thickly in plants that only saw shreds of the sun, though perhaps this had something to do with the rarer and useful strains being exclusively found here.

"So, uh, would you say you're - over it?" he posed, a silent finally as the ribbon on top, his fingers probing through underbrush as his words did the same. Merlin knew this poor girl needed to be. Stupid humans, their hearts never worked like that.
RELIGION

picking
wings off of angels
has
always
been
my

* Olette Carroll

(08/07/2019 at 16:19)
  • Gardener at Elixirium
  • C0D0T0S0
    • View Profile
Olette paused for a moment at his question. She knew the answer she should say, the one he wanted to hear. But how could she be over it, over him? Even if she did eventually get over him, she’d never get over it. She’d never get over the feeling that she wasn’t good enough, that even in the few hours of one of their dates, he felt the need to seek someone else out. She’d never get over this feeling of betrayal.

“Over him or over what he did to me?” It didn’t matter, because the answer was no in both cases. She knew she should be over him after everything that he did, but she’d seen how badly he felt about it. He was always so nice to her when they were together. It was part of why she had avoided him for months.
You can look right through me
Walk right by me
And ne
ver know I'm there

Bracken Thomas

(08/07/2019 at 17:32)
  • Seventh Year
  • C8D5T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
In the brief bout of silence he filled with inspection. Fluxweed did not have terribly unique physical traits, but he knew that special texture of its leaves well. Olette, he was coming to realize, did not differ terribly from fluxweed.

This plant was not the one. He stood up and glanced at her, bundled in pensive thoughts as she was. He knew she wasn't going to tell him yes, or if she did, he'd have a lie from her.

No, it was not that simple.

"Over him," Bracken decided. She might not ever get over the cruelties committed by Smallweed, cruelties that Pilar had also inflicted upon the Ravenclaw, but, like the youngest Thomas, maybe Ole could move past her assailant.

They came to a fallen log, tall undergrowth on either side. He stepped onto the mossy wood and offered the girl a hand- "careful" he warned - then bounced to the other side, deeper into the wood.
RELIGION

picking
wings off of angels
has
always
been
my

* Olette Carroll

(08/07/2019 at 17:50)
  • Gardener at Elixirium
  • C0D0T0S0
    • View Profile
She took his hand as he helped her over the log.

“No,” she sighed. “I know I should be, but… I can’t.” She spent too many hours thinking about how she could get him back, how she could be enough for him. He had told her that she was his type, but she knew that was a lie. Girls like True and Cecelia were his type.

“Brax… Do you think I’m too plain? Like, why don’t guys want good girls? How can I be more appealing?” Why Jeremiah had ever wanted her in the first place was still a mystery. She was shy, quiet, and boring company in her opinion. Bracken had found her attractive when she was dressed up like True at that one party, but otherwise, in her normal attire, she was back to being a plain Jane.
Walk right by me
And ne
ver know I'm there

Bracken Thomas

(08/07/2019 at 18:47)
  • Seventh Year
  • C8D5T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
"No," he spit out immediately, though it did not stop her from going on. Plain, good girl. She was kind of plain looking if she didn't tend her appearance, and by no means did he think of her anything near a bad girl. But that didn't equate to unappealing.

"Aw, Ollie." He stopped and offered an arm and squeeze for her sagging shoulders. "C'mon, you're beautiful and you're probably the nicest person I know." He knelt down again, reaching to feel leaves.

"I don't think you need to change anything. But you know, it might help to talk to people more? Do you notice boys, do you talk to them?"
RELIGION

picking
wings off of angels
has
always
been
my

* Olette Carroll

(08/07/2019 at 19:34)
  • Gardener at Elixirium
  • C0D0T0S0
    • View Profile
She knew she wasn’t beautiful. There was nothing special or striking about her appearance. She was just there, fading into the background constantly. And nice, sure. But she didn’t want to be nice. Other girls weren’t nice like she was. Sure, she liked True and Pilar, but they weren’t always ‘nice.’ She wanted to be more like them.

She supposed he was thinking she was interested in making herself appealing to other guys. “Well, me and him have talked for years and that didn’t stop him from leaving me at a wedding to be with someone else. I want to be that someone else. I want to be enough.” Her voice was stern, in contrast to the soft it had been moments ago. “No one wants the nice girl.”
Walk right by me
And ne
ver know I'm there

Bracken Thomas

(08/08/2019 at 22:03)
  • Seventh Year
  • C8D5T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
The clearing of his throat came not as function to remove an itch, nor to catch her attention; he needed a second to wrangle with the frankly mind-boggling truth that Ollie just let slip.

"You mean," he sighed, fingers still on the leaf that he suspect to be of the desired texture, though that now had removed from his frontal conscious. At no great speed he turned to look at her, this lost girl. "Enough...for Jeremiah Smallweed."

He turned back. "I think this is my fluxweed." Carefully his fingers padded about the base of its stem, then fished in his bag for a small trowel. "And I think-" What was the name she used for him? "-Jere isn't your Smallweed."
RELIGION

picking
wings off of angels
has
always
been
my

* Olette Carroll

(08/08/2019 at 22:19)
  • Gardener at Elixirium
  • C0D0T0S0
    • View Profile
She rolled her eyes at him. The boy from the wedding had tried to have a similar conversation with her. “Let me guess, you think I deserve better? You know I can’t get better. Even if they can get over the whole disowned squib thing, there’s still the matter that guys would rather go after the pretty girl, even the ones they can’t have.” How many guys now had crushes on Pilar, despite the fact she was engaged to someone else?

“I know you said ‘all or nothing,’ but wouldn’t something be better than nothing?”
Walk right by me
And ne
ver know I'm there

Bracken Thomas

(08/11/2019 at 22:34)
  • Seventh Year
  • C8D5T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
It touched him, slightly, that she she sealed his words in her memory bank, though she now meant to defy them.

Into the nutritious soil plunged metal, one of the most soothing sounds to him. "Look, I think you're packing this into a simplified box." With practiced care the plant was uprooted from its home, destined for a cauldron. The dark haired lad stood and held out his find, a pretty but sort of ordinary green thing, so she might situate the bag for him to place it into.

"You've seen Pilar? Finest physical specimen around? And Alice Swan too. Then look at me." After transferring the fluxweed to a carrying sack, he, with dirt-powdered fingers, gestured to his body. "Look, I'm cute, handsome, smile to melt hearts-" At this he demonstrated, cockily so. "-but it's not like the Greek gods handcarved me a trunk of muscles, not like James or someone. And I'm a halfblood in a pureblood's world. But...I've some personality, right."

Pausing a moment to wipe the humid sweat from his brow, Bracken mulled over what aside from her body attracted him to his current fling, Alice. "Personally I fancy a flirty bird. A light touch here, a coy smile there, a kind of little tease or like, good-natured insults. I dunno, like playful? You know what I mean? Anyway, what I'm getting at and what I meant before is - you can't just be a bystander and expect chaps to flock. But don't be super obvious either. A light brush over the hand, then pull away, yeah? It's terribly intriguing, swear to Merlin."
RELIGION

picking
wings off of angels
has
always
been
my

* Olette Carroll

(08/11/2019 at 22:58)
  • Gardener at Elixirium
  • C0D0T0S0
    • View Profile
At first it felt as though he was rubbing it in how much prettier everyone was than her. Olette crossed her arms, frowning as he went on to describe Pilar and then himself. And complaining that he wasn’t a greek god. So what? He still was handsome, and she was just there. And a halfblood in a pureblood’s world? So what. He couldn’t possibly think that compared to being a squib in a pureblood world. She’d give anything to even be a halfblood, as long as she was something.

She was about to interject when he started talking about what he liked in girls. Teasing. Playfulness. Her and Jeremiah had a bit of that at one point. But that was long gone. But she supposed she could try it out. And she had 2 months to practice it.

Coy wasn’t something she was good at. “Can you teach me how to be like that?” She asked, looking up at his eyes, pleading.
I've been thinking too much

help me

Bracken Thomas

(08/13/2019 at 20:53)
  • Seventh Year
  • C8D5T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
He laughed. "Me?" Desperation swallowing her eyes indicated that yes, him, and the humor fell. Just because he melted for a bird with the right touch did not mean he had perfected those flirtatious ways himself. In fact, if it came to talk of coy he had to be the absolute antithesis.

"You might be better off if I pointed you in the direction of Alice..."

THE CREEPY INFIRMARY
Fourteen minutes later

Well, he warmed up to it. Seated on top of one of the hospital beds, he gestured for Ollie to take up some real estate next to him. There were others present whom he mostly ignored.

"So we're talking, clever or stupid or funny ideally. Just kind of like, touch my arm when you say something. I guess. Like..." Suddenly he was overcome with a plastic smile, juicing as much femininity as he could.

"Oh, in your dreams," he purred, fingertips tracing across her arm. No doubt this wasn't hooking Ollie, not to mention anyone alive, but it was the best he could do.

"Something like that."
RELIGION

picking
wings off of angels
has
always
been
my

* Olette Carroll

(08/13/2019 at 21:05)
  • Gardener at Elixirium
  • C0D0T0S0
    • View Profile
She laughed as he did his best girl impression. “So, like…” She tried to brush his arm like he’d done hers, but erupted into a fit of giggles. “Sorry, sorry,” she apologized, her cheeks turning a bit pink. She tried to compose herself before trying again.

She had trouble though, because every time she tried to, she burst into giggles again. It was different because he was a friend. If he were someone like Jeremiah, or even a stranger, this would be easier. But she couldn’t stop thinking about his awful impression.

“Okay, okay, okay.” She took in a deep breath, and ran her fingers up his arm. “You’re so funny,” she attempted in her best sultry voice. But it sounded so unlike her that her cheeks went from a light pink to red. She tried to laugh it off. “See, I’m awful at this!”
I've been thinking too much

help me

Bracken Thomas

(08/16/2019 at 23:47)
  • Seventh Year
  • C8D5T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Contagious was not a foreign term in the dingy infirmary, though he suspected it might not always be applied toward giggling. The end goal was known, yes, and it also had a way of fading into the background with each of Ollie's attempts to at coquettish.

"Yeah yeah," he encouraged after also gathering himself, smiling ear to ear. It did not help that the touch of her fingers tickled more than anything, Bracken twitching in effort to keep his sniggers down. Maybe he wasn't cut out for teaching this. Hell, he'd never thought he was.

"You and me both." He could've told her she wasn't, but he hadn't come here to lie. "I mean, okay, we could try a little more seriously." The mood had obviously gone awry with his impressions. He cleared his throat of extra saliva and his veins of tinkling mischief. Actively his thoughts bent upon her redeeming qualities, the fullness of her lips, fair skin and eyebrows, carefree laugh, how she'd dolled up in the past.

"So I've been working on this song," growled his deepened voice, eyes playing on the floor before lifting to meet the girl's, the slightest shrug in his shoulders. "I'd love play it for you sometime..." The gap between their hips closed significantly as he penetrated deeply into her personal bubble, placing his elbow right next to hers. "...alone. What do you think?" He made a point not to touch her, not to demonstrate, but to let her react. At least Alice would come up with some scintillating spinner.
RELIGION

picking
wings off of angels
has
always
been
my

* Olette Carroll

(08/17/2019 at 16:46)
  • Gardener at Elixirium
  • C0D0T0S0
    • View Profile
“We could try a little more seriously.” Olette nodded. It would probably help if Bracken didn’t do impressions of girls.

Suddenly he was moving closer to her, talking about being alone. A chill ran up her spine. She stared at him, shocked. “Bracken, I-” she started, confused as to why he suddenly wanted to be alone with her like that.

Then it hit her. And she felt dumb. It was part of the game. Imagine it’s Jere she told herself. If it were, she would have reached for his hand. But that wasn’t subtle, like he’d said.

She slowly reached over with her opposite arm, lightly brushing like he had. “That sounds… nice…” She moved her hand and sat back. “That didn’t sound very flirty, did it? How do you know what to say right then and there? You don’t have time to think about what would be the best thing to say.”
Everybody loves a winner
So nobody loved me

Bracken Thomas

(08/20/2019 at 21:24)
  • Seventh Year
  • C8D5T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
The hard questions. No one ever really knew what to say. He was a big proponent of the how you say it making a bigger difference. At the same time, he said the wrong thing in the wrong way probably as often as the contrary. Was he really qualified to guide her?

"Yeah," he agreed, taking a second. "I guess like, especially if you're processing, just like...pause. In this situation where I take a chance and make an offer, for you to hesitate, to have to think about it or even just pretend to, would make my heart rate skyrocket. So while you have me sweating bullets, you could take the second to think about what to say." Which would be...?

"Like something simple," Bracken explained, to her as much as himself. He hadn't really thought through this kind of thing before, but it was slowly coming to him. "Maybe. Only if you're good. You know like, don't tell a bloke what he wants to hear if you can string him along instead. Then it becomes a chase, and chaps love a good chase. Does...does that make sense?"
RELIGION

picking
wings off of angels
has
always
been
my

Tags: