Vote for Player of the Summer!

Author Topic: look, i didn't want to be a half-blood // Mari AU  (Read 985 times)

Adam Hoying

(06/25/2019 at 20:34)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood.

MODERN DEMIGOD/CAMP HALF-BLOOD AU. In which Marilyn-Rose Wilson is a child of Aphrodite with a love for plants who's eager to take on the world and Adam Hoying is a child of Athena with a sassy side who's just trying to get by.

Don't feel bad, I'm usually about to die.

First day of summer, 2019
Camp Half-Blood, Long Island, New York
Mess Hall

"Marilyn."

Adam Hoying let out a sigh - one that would have been utterly exasperated for anyone else, but he just didn't have it in him when it came to Marilyn-Rose Wilson. This was unfortunate, because Marilyn-Rose Wilson was the one who insisted on attempting to sit at the wrong table every single summer.

"How many times are we going to have to tell you to stay at your table this summer?"

« Last Edit: 06/26/2019 at 10:49 by Adam Hoying »
I created a monster
a beast inside my brain
i've nowhere to go, i'm out on my own, my mind impaired
Awake me from my nightmare

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(06/25/2019 at 21:05)
  • Dancer & Waitress at The Snake Pit, Model
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
"Adam."

She spoke calmly, as she let out an overdramatic sigh in a friendly mocking of Adam, though, when they had first met, she'd thought his name was Allan, back when she was younger, and he appeared in the camp after her.

"You will let me sit here." She spoke, her voice sugarcoating the order that came from her mouth. She then sat down beside Adam, a smile on her face. "Anyways, I've had the most dull school year ever."
well, my heart knows me better than i know myself,
so i'm gonna let it do all the talking

Adam Hoying

(06/25/2019 at 21:14)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
Immediately after she spoke, he moved almost involuntarily. A second later, he let out a groan. "Unfair, Mari. Chiron will make you move, you know." That was if he even noticed. The centaur was currently engaged in an apparently very intense conversation with a group of satyrs.

"What's so bad about the Aphrodite kids anyway?" But it seemed she was determined to change the subject. This was not a surprise, really; the girl always had to have things her way. Figuring he probably wouldn't get a straight answer to his question, he resigned himself to the topic change. "Same. My science teacher acted a bit odd around me, but he wasn't a monster." Adam's eyebrows furrowed. "At least, I don't think he was."
we're going too fast, fast save us
--we're going too fast, fast--
s a v e  u s  n o w

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(06/25/2019 at 21:36)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
She smiled smugly, as the table immediately accepted her as a part of the group. Before they realised what she had done, and then she was hit by a series of groans.

She looked over at Chiron, "No, he won't," she spoke smugly, as she plucked a strawberry from her plate and bit into it. She ignored his question in the best possible way that she could. Aphrodite kids were great, but they were also makeup fuelled people and sometimes she wanted a discussion more than the best shades of eyeliner and she trusted Adam enough to not discuss that, and so the blonde sat with him.

"A monster would have been more entertaining than my summer." She sighed dramatically, "Nothing ever happens in Texas, and I can't even have a phone."

Adam Hoying

(06/26/2019 at 00:34)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
"I heard the son of Pasiphae was masquerading as a bull on a cattle farm in Texas..." Adam countered, making sure to exclude the real name of the monster just in case (names had power, after all). There was a brief pause before he acknowledged the rest. "...a couple years ago." He had never been to Texas, but that was just about all he'd ever heard about all the place, so perhaps Marilyn had a point.

"I always forget how far you come to get here." While Mari had to cross somewhere around two thousand miles to get to Long Island every summer, Adam could just take a simple road trip. "You think nothing ever happens down there, though? Try living in a tiny town in upstate New York." A town with a population of barely over one thousand people was pretty much the definition of uneventful - but it was also rather peaceful. Camp Half-Blood was the stark opposite of both of those.
When you're falling in a forest
And there's nobody around
Do you ever really crash
Or even make a sound
Did I even make a sound?
It's like I never made a sound
Will I ever make a sound?

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(06/26/2019 at 07:28)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
“You do realise how big Texas is? Right? It was nowhere near me so I was stuck in boredom with only cactuses to talk to.” She spoke dramatically, as she looked at him, “I could’ve died from boredom, nevermind monsters.”

A sigh as she leant on the one elbow that was on the table, and dipped a strawberry into the little pot of chocolate she had on her plate. And then threw it in her mouth, chewing on it as she listened to him whine.

“At least you’re in New York!” She exclaimed cheerfully, “Try living in a desert, with nobody else. On the plus side, I got to do loads of training cause nobody would realise. Oh, and I did some more modelling.”

A cheerful smile appeared on her face, as she looked at the group around her. Sometimes it was a relief that she was with the Athena kids, not those who’d immediately judge her last shoot.

Adam Hoying

(06/26/2019 at 10:59)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
"Wouldn't that be a surprising way for a half-blood to go," he remarked, "What heroic death did Marilyn-Rose Wilson die? None, she just died of boredom." A good-natured grin. It was all in good fun; in the summers they had been at camp together, they had developed quite the rapport. "What are you modeling for now?"

Just then, the nymphs appeared to deliver the rest of their dinner apart from the appetizers Mari had been snacking on, and the air was soon filled with the general noise of campers choosing drinks, then hurrying over to the fire. "Iced tea," Adam told his glass after a moment of thought, and it was quickly filled with the liquid in question. With a quiet, resigned sigh, he stood to make his way over to the fire. Athena apparently liked the smell of his food burning, but that didn't mean she would deign to show up to say hello to her son every once in a while, so Adam wasn't quite sure what the point was.
we're going too fast, fast save us
--we're going too fast, fast--
s a v e  u s  n o w

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(07/01/2019 at 22:08)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
A laugh escaped the blonde at his jokes, and the smile on his face, "they'll sing songs about me, Adam Hoying, just you wait. They'll talk about Marilyn-Rose Wilson, the prettiest girl in the world who always seemed to get what she wanted, unless it was excitement, because she died of boredom."

"Honestly? No idea, some big fashion company, my step-mum does all of that stuff, I just show up and look pretty. Really difficult for me, totally not like my powers involve looking beautiful." The sarcasm was thick in her voice, as the nymphs moved around her.

"Pink Lemonade." She murmured, as she watched her goblet fill up with the magenta liquid. She then picked up her plate, and threw into the fire the juiciest strawberry that she'd saved, and the best bit of her meat. Hopefully, Aphrodite would like it enough to visit her, though that never happened. Unrealistic expectations as she was sure Adam would say.

Adam Hoying

(07/02/2019 at 01:43)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
"If you're the prettiest girl in the world, you can't be that bored," he teased playfully, "Just go seduce some poor southern mortal guy." Adam felt a little bad for giving this 'advice'; if she decided to take it to heart for some strange reason, some mortal down in Texas would not know what had hit him.

"That's so much work, Mari," he said, sarcasm (courtesy of his dad) most definitely slipping in. "And all I had to do was work at my stepmom's bakery. Apparently, I'm the worst at making pie."

A slice of pie that had appeared on his plate went sliding into the fire. It did look really good, but Adam was a little sick of pie after a whole summer selling Louise's well-known ones and attempting (and drastically failing) to imitate her recipes. Hopefully, Athena wouldn't mind his reasoning for sacrificing this dessert in particular.
When you're falling in a forest
And there's nobody around
Do you ever really crash
Or even make a sound
Did I even make a sound?
It's like I never made a sound
Will I ever make a sound?

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(07/08/2019 at 14:13)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
"Prettiness is useless when all you have to talk to is jumping cactuses." Sighed Marilyn, a bright smile on her face at his teasing, "And all the boys are useless here, the cows are preferable."

She smiled brighter as she looked at Adam Hoying, who, although being sarcastic, was probably one of her best friends.

"Pie isn't difficult, Adam," replied the blonde, "did you overwork the pastry? That tends to be what causes bad pies. The pastry goes dry, and the pie is ruined. I made loads of apple pies for my dad, but if you want me to teach you, I can."

Marilyn smiled as she slid the best piece of meat on her plate into the fire, though she knew that it tended to be preferred when she didn't use meat but instead more fruity things and cakes.

"I'm sure the harpy's won't mind."

Adam Hoying

(07/08/2019 at 19:45)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
"Cacti," he corrected automatically. Though he supposed cacti and cactuses both made sense, cacti just sounded better. "You're talking to spiky plants now? I'd think you would write me a letter or something over that. You can't think I'm that useless." Adam raised his eyebrows, giving the other blonde a half grin.

"I don't-" Halfway through denying her request to help on grounds that he could do it himself (he couldn't), he switched gears. "Actually, yeah, sure, if you really want to."

If Adam could manage to make an apple pie even close to the level his stepmom's were at, she would definitely be impressed. If he needed Marilyn's help for that, so be it; as much as he refused to admit it, he found Mari's help useful quite often.

June 3, 2019
The Climbing Wall

"No no no no no-"

The heat was closing in. Adam scrambled for another handhold, barely managing to catch hold of it in time to prevent his shirt from getting singed by the lava (which was insanely close for a summer camp, even if it was for half-bloods). How had Mari even convinced him to do this?

"Get up here or...or else!" he yelled down at the daughter of Aphrodite, who for some reason could take her time to make Adam to do this but not bother with trying herself.
i was told when i get older all my fears would shrink
But now I'm insecure
and i care what people think

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(07/08/2019 at 22:48)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
"Less talking, more moving!" Called the blonde up cheerfully from her position at the bottom of the wall, where she was chatting to a perfectly attractive Ares boy, which sure made her seem like her mum (and dear gods did she hate that) but it was just like whatever.

She looked up and watched her friend scramble against the lava that was very close to burning his shirt. That'd be a shame, since she was desperate to steal his t-shirt to cut up and wear as a crop top. Though, she supposed, it depended upon where the lava landed. Either way, it'd make for a new design that'd catch attention, since her old one was starting to become dull, or rather, copied around camp.

"I thought you didn't want me to show you up!" She called over to him, grinning brightly.

Adam Hoying

(07/09/2019 at 18:35)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
He absolutely and completely hated that she was right. Staying frozen was only going to get him killed, and Adam didn't want to die at the ripe old age of fifteen. The problem with this was that it was also very possible that movement in this insanity could kill him as well.

He made a muffled inhuman noise as he pulled himself up farther. The children of Athena definitely didn't have the weakest genes, but one could say that Adam still had trouble with athleticism. It was something he needed to work on, especially when it came to sword fighting and wall climbing (especially when those swords were held by rampaging monsters and those climbing walls featured a whole lot of lava).

"What I want is for you to save your flirting for later and come get a taste of your own medicine! You made me do this, you can afford to chip a nail!" Marilyn was really the only one he was so blunt around. Most of the campers viewed him as the quieter type; they weren't there for Adam and Mari's many ridiculous activities.
I'm afraid that's just the way the world works
it ain't funny, it ain't  pretty, it ain't  sweet...

it's not the end of the story.

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(07/09/2019 at 22:57)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
Marilyn laughed at the vague noise he made, not that she could understand it, as she turned away from her friend struggling on the wall, and focused on the hunk that was the Ares camper stood in front of her. Like oh my gods, he could have been a fully fledged god rather than a Demigod with those looks. In fact, she winked at him, smirking as they continued with their conversation.

"Okay then!" Exclaimed the blonde after he yelled down at her, she turned back to the Ares camper whispering a 'see you later', before she walked over towards the wall. Grabbing two hand holds, she speedily climbed up the wall.

Thirteen years of cheerleading, cardio every morning and night, stretching all the time. All these things had meant that Marilyn was incredibly athletic. Dumbest girl in camp, but good at climbing the wall. she could do it in full earthquake mode with no difficulty, which meant that she reached her friend without much trouble, even with the lava.

Adam Hoying

(07/10/2019 at 19:29)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
For a precious few seconds, he simply glared at her. The wall seemed to think this was a mistake, as it promptly began shaking violently. "I hope you ruin your nail polish," Adam told her without an ounce of shame.

The wall shook again, and the lava inched closer to him. "I get it, I get it!" He was, of course, speaking to absolutely no one, as the wall clearly couldn't hear him, but Adam didn't give much value to the opinions of bullheaded and headstrong Ares kids. The boy scrambled upwards, barely managing to safely slide his hands and feet into holds as the amount of them decreased. If he were thinking, he would be booking it down to the sweet, beautiful ground right now; scratch that, if he were thinking, he wouldn't have given this a shot at all. But it appeared he'd lost all pretense and thought whatsoever (gods, he hated charmspeak), and so up he went, internally screaming all the while.

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(08/04/2019 at 19:52)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
Marilyn laughed as he glared at her, pulling her hair up into a ponytail with one hand as she hung of the wall with the other, the act easy for the blonde. She finished with her hair just as the wall decided to go into earthquake mode once again, so had two hands on the wall in time, fortunately or the blonde, as she looked at Adam. Pulling herself up, she grinned brightly.

"I never do, you know that." She replied cheerfully, "One arm off the wall!"

It was mostly for fun, as she waited a couple of seconds before, "Two arms on the wall!"

Of course, she followed her own commands, as she continued to climb upwards. It was easy for the blonde, even with the wall shaking. She'd grown up with it, was so used to it. In fact, even in the hardest level, she barely singed her own hair.

Adam Hoying

(08/04/2019 at 20:11)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
He scrambled upwards, closer than he'd ever been yet so, so far from the top. If this was how he was going to die, Adam Hoying would be very, very upset.

He held on tighter; a tell-tale hint of mischievousness in Marilyn's tone suggested that she was up to something, and he was not looking forward to it. Sure enough, a sugar-sweet voice of saccharine suggestion slipped into his ears, and he was holding on with only one hand for dear life before he knew it. She was going to be the death of him.

The voice came again, and finally, he was only a little bit farther away from doom. "I hate you, you know that?" he said, without any real venom in his voice (he never could when it came to her), pulling himself up further. His muscles burned worse than his shirt had, and his fists turned white as he clutched to a handhold, trying to remain in one piece in the face of earthquake mode. He was done for.

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(08/08/2019 at 18:42)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
Marilyn almost fell off the wall just from laughing at his reaction to her charmspeak. Sure, Chiron had told her to specifically not use it in battles, or climbing the wall (naturally, capture the flag was fair game), but this was Adam, and it was always entertaining to watch him hang off a wall with one hand.

"No you don't!" She sang cheerfully, still climbing up easily, if he did, his voice would be harsher and colder than it was. And then came earthquake mode again, and Adam looked shattered, and nearly killed by the wall. She sighed, because she honestly didn't believe in giving him a leg up, before calling, "Hold on!" fully aware that he would do so.

She scurried up towards him, reaching a nice spot beside him, where she quietly began to murmer words, because if Chiron knew then he'd probably kill her, or Mr D would do something much worse, like take away her dehumidifier.

"You can do this Adam Hoying, I believe in you. You will climb to the top of this wall, and you will dodge the lava, and you will hold on, starting now." She murmured into his ear, before returning to her own climb, pulling herself up with ease, and moving her legs so she wasn't straining her arms too much.

Adam Hoying

(08/08/2019 at 20:58)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C8D10T7S7
    • View Profile
He chose to scoff in response to her rebuttal instead of responding properly because they both knew she was right, and also because he thought he might die if he took the time to try to speak. Adam was saved from nearly slipping by another command, and he clenched on tighter, squeezing his eyes shut in dread until she scrambled up the wall with her strangely-monkey-like agility to whisper into his ear.

"I'm gonna die," he said in the tone of a teenager resigned to their fate.

He made it to the top of the wall; even his shirt remained in decent condition.

June 7, 2019
The Archery Range

He pulled back his bow, squinting and waiting for the perfect time before letting the arrow fly. A grin of victory appeared when it sank into the target, awfully close to the bullseye. Even the glare of an Apollo camper off their game did not bring down his sense of small accomplishment.

He turned, watching Marilyn-Rose Wilson's arrow soar through the air. "Excited for capture the flag tonight?" he asked after it landed.
i was told when i get older all my fears would shrink
But now I'm insecure
and i care what people think

Marilyn-Rose Wilson

(08/10/2019 at 11:40)
  • C8D7T8S10
    • View Profile
Marilyn-Rose Wilson pulled back her bow, aiming really hard at the bullseye in the centre of the target. A minute after Adam let the string go, Marilyn did the same. She laughed at his stupid smug grin at the location of his arrow, scarily close to bullseye.

Whilst his arrow was practically in the centre of the target, the blonde's was embedded in a tree, very far from her own target.

"Yeah," Said Marilyn, with a laugh, as she had a genius idea, "You know, with your new climbing ability, you could get up a tree and shoot arrows down from trees. Until I tell you to lower your bow."