As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: Ma Nouvelle Vie | Jane Belrose's Journal  (Read 64 times)

Jane Belrose

(04/13/2019 at 17:26)
    • View Profile
Cher journal,

This camp is more than what I could have hoped for. Although I am a little disappointed I can't practice magic here, all the things we can do certainly make up for it. I still haven't caught a game of what they call 'Quidditch.' It sounds fun, and it makes me want to try to ride on a magic broom. Unfortunately, I don't think I can do so here, but perhaps that can be done at Hogwarts. What I can do is Gobstones, or Wizard's Chess even! The only problem is I'd need to find someone to play it with, and I've still been rather shy. Perhaps I should be a little more outgoing...

But who needs to be outgoing? I mean, I suppose it's the only way to make friends, but it's hard! Socializing drains me and I always slip up somehow. It's embarrassing and it cost me a number of friendships in France.

Maybe summer camp will be different. I've been doing better in masking my faults, so maybe the students here won't notice it as much. Maybe I'll learn more from my mistakes this time and become even better at this 'socializing' thing at Hogwarts!

- Jane Belrose
« Last Edit: 04/19/2019 at 17:51 by Jane Belrose »

Jane Belrose

(04/14/2019 at 16:21)
    • View Profile
Cher journal,

I still can't get over the fact that this summer camp is so well modeled after France! Even the teams are named after French painters! In fact, I was put on Team Matisse, though I have to admit I am a bit jealous that Team Daubigny's cabins are in Toulouse. Even though it's not the real Toulouse, I still would have preferred to be there, though Bordeaux is nice too. Where I lived at least, it's closer than Paris or Marseille.

I really shouldn't be complaining. Our cabins are in Le Grand Théâtre, which is absolutely stunning. I hardly got to see any films in France, and now they are played in summer camp all the time! My fingers are crossed that they'll play a French one soon, though I highly doubt it. Even though this camp is modeled after France, I have yet to see another student who speaks the language.

Needless to say, I'm still very excited about this camp. Sadly, I have not met many other campers as of yet. I'm not sure how many people I will meet, much less how many I'll even befriend, but I'm hopeful the upcoming school year at Hogwarts will bring some new opportunities.

- Jane Belrose
« Last Edit: 04/15/2019 at 21:26 by Jane Belrose »

Jane Belrose

(04/15/2019 at 21:23)
    • View Profile
Cher journal,

I finally learned what gobstones are! This whole time I thought they were something far different than marbles, but no. They are remarkably similar, but gobstones just squirt out this foul smelling liquid. I still have no idea how they actually function though. Perhaps that is just another thing I could learn at Hogwarts.

Speaking of Hogwarts, I am anxious to go. Spells, potions, magical creatures... I want to learn about them all. From talk around camp, I've heard a bit about Care of Magical Creatures, or 'COMC' as some call it. I have to say, even from the bits and pieces I caught wind of, it seems very intriguing.

COMC isn't the only elective, I know, but it's one I already feel strongly about. I'm already good with animals in the Muggle world, so I think I'd do well with magical ones, though I can't, er... what's the expression? 'Put all my eggs in a basket?' I should probably take some other electives at Hogwarts.

- Jane Belrose
« Last Edit: 04/15/2019 at 21:26 by Jane Belrose »

Jane Belrose

(04/17/2019 at 23:25)
    • View Profile
Cher journal,

Everyone at this camp seems to be so kind. I know it's not something I should necessarily be impressed about, but it is. Nobody has made fun of me, even with my complete lack of magical knowledge. Whenever I asked about something, people were very nice and answered completely.

Not only were people nice, but I got to formally meet some of them too. Henry, a Hufflepuff, was kind enough to teach me about Gobstones, and Astro is around my age! It'll be nice to see some familiar faces once I get into Hogwarts.

Speaking of Hogwarts, I think I still have a tendency to say 'ogwarts by mistake. It's how my aunt said the name, and I guess I just picked up on it. Some words with an 'H' in it can be hard to pronounce since I'm so used to not doing so in French... hopefully that changes soon. I can't be mispronouncing the name of my own school.

- Jane Belrose

Jane Belrose

(04/18/2019 at 18:00)
    • View Profile
Cher journal,

I wonder if my parents miss me. I haven't gotten a letter from them... but perhaps that's because they're Muggles? This is a magic camp after all. Even so, I'm certain my dad at least would have said something to my aunt.

Maybe they just want me to enjoy myself at camp. Maybe they just want me to have a purely magical experience without any Muggle contact. Whatever the reason, I'm sure it's logical, but I still wish they would have said something-- anything.

I will admit that without talking to them, I'm getting a little anxious. I'm not exactly homesick, but I'm nervous being out of the comfort of home. You get what I mean? Home is what you're used to. I'm used to being in a normal, non-magical world, and now I'm being thrust into this land that only used to exist in my fantasies. Don't get me wrong; I love it, but I hate how unfamiliar it is. I want to learn more about it, but I think I secretly want things to go back to the way they were...

- Jane Belrose

Jane Belrose

(04/19/2019 at 17:44)
    • View Profile
Cher journal,

As I read these past journal entries, I believe I've come to a realization. I... I think I've been lying to myself. I often find it difficult to recognize my own emotions, but this one in particular has been eating at me the moment I arrived at camp-- no-- the moment I found out I was a witch.

Don't get me wrong. The idea of Hogwarts is absolutely amazing. The potential to learn magic is beyond my wildest dreams, but there's something else. I think I'm scared.

All my life, magic was just a concept, and a fictional one at that. Everything is so different now, and the drastic change has been making me very anxious. I'm nervous to be sorted into a house that might not accept me. I'm nervous that I won't be good at magic. I'm nervous to be away from my family, but these feelings will pass, right? They always do... eventually.

- Jane Belrose
« Last Edit: 04/20/2019 at 01:24 by Jane Belrose »

Jane Belrose

(04/20/2019 at 15:19)
    • View Profile
This entry has notably worse handwriting
Some words end with letters being trailed off

Cher journal,

I can't think straight. The closer I get to attending Hogwarts, the more anxious I become. I'm literally shaking as I write this entry, but I have to get it over with.

Writing has always been therapeutic for me. Getting all my thoughts out on paper helps them to be sorted. I can read them over and understand my mind better than if I just kept all my emotions pent up in my brain. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's how I survived school in France. Without my journal, I'm not sure what I would have done.

I can't talk to people about my problems. I don't want to worry them and I don't want to feel like a burden either. It's not what most would call a healthy frame of mind, but I can't help it, especially since I'm around people I don't know well. Being home would be so much easier, but that's not really an option now. I'm the witch and I'm the one who wanted to attend camp. As much as I want to go home, I can't. Even if it was possible (which I'm sure it is under certain circumstances), I'd be too embarrassed to. What would my parents think? If I can't survive summer away from home, how can I survive Hogwarts?

- Jane Belrose
« Last Edit: 04/21/2019 at 17:29 by Jane Belrose »

Jane Belrose

(04/21/2019 at 17:28)
    • View Profile
A letter written in French
Addressed to Mrs. Adelaide Belrose

Chère maman,

You said you would write to me over the summer, but I haven't gotten a letter yet. Is it because I'm at a magical camp and you can't, or is it because you'd rather me enjoy the wizarding experience? If it's the former, then I'm hoping this letter reaches you. Maybe you could ask Aunt Aurélie for help sending a letter back, but if it's the latter, I was really looking forward to hearing from you.

Either way, I really would like it if I got a letter back, though I understand if you can't. I'm still trying to figure out this whole magical nonsense myself, and I'm the actual witch here. Looking at it all, it seems so simple. You wave a wand, say a few words, and bam! Magic! Actually putting it into practice though... Well, to be fair I haven't had the chance to practice spells with my wand since it's banned unless you're in a dual, but considering I couldn't even figure out how to play a simple wizarding game alone, I don't like my luck.

Overall, camp is really interesting though. Despite not being able to use any real magic, I've seen a lot. Like did you know witches and wizards ride on brooms? It's not just in fairy tales! I haven't flown on one yet, but I'm trying to build up the courage to. It seems really fun, and I want to see what it's actually like to fly! If I don't end up doing so at Camp Loki, I'm sure I'll be able to learn at Hogwarts. Oh! And speaking of Hogwarts, don't worry about me. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but what Muggleborn wouldn't be? I may be anxious, but I'm thrilled all the same. The chance to learn magic is beyond my wildest dreams, and I can't wait to tell you all about it once I get there.

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you!

- Jane

Jane Belrose

(04/22/2019 at 15:50)
    • View Profile
Cher journal,

I feel awful. I didn't lie in my letter, but I downplayed everything. My parents know I don't do well in large crowds. They know I'm not good with change, and, well... I don't know if what I said will ease their mind, but I really don't want them to worry.

If my parents get nervous, then I'll just become even more nervous. I'm sure they won't be though, especially since I said how excited I am for Hogwarts. Of course that wasn't a lie, but I still can't seem to decide if I'm more anxious or more excited about the whole prospect.

Honestly, it's about an even mix of both, at this point at least. I'm most elated about the idea of magical creatures, obviously. Charms seems rather interesting as well! I believe that's the category most spells fall under at least, so it's doubtlessly a critical subject I'd have to learn at Hogwarts. That being said, what wouldn't be super important? I suppose I'd just have to figure out when I see the full class list.

- Jane Belrose

Tags: