Vote for Player of the Summer!

Author Topic: Duel Two: Ayres v. Dumont v. Marquis v. Palmer v. Reed  (Read 546 times)

Virtue Hir

(04/13/2019 at 17:40)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D7T7S7
    • View Profile
Round 4 Results:

A1.  Henry attempts to cast Orchideous.  Success!  Henry now has a bouquet of pretty flowers that really cheer the place up and tie all that color together.

A2.  Henry attempt to cast Stupefy at Alise.  Unfortunately, his wand doesn’t do much more than make a hissing, squealing sort of noise.  The spell fails.

A3.  Alise attempts to cast Protego in front of herself.  The spell fails, producing no effect at all.

A4.  Alise slams against the side of the hole to attempt to dodge.  VOIDED.
[Ref’s Note:  Please do not assume your action has been successful.  For more information on how to word your actions, please see here.]

A5.  Alise attempts to cast Confringo at the air.  VOIDED.
[Ref’s Note:  Targets of spells such as Confringo must be a tangible object or surface that can reasonably be wrecked.]

A6.  Alise attempts to twirl in place to dodge.  The action fails, so she does not successfully dodge, and instead does a sort of half-turn in place.

A7.  Lia attempts to cast Furnunculus at Alise.  Success!  Alise breaks out in boils.  Ouch! 8% Damage!

A8.  Charles attempts to play a fantastic beat with his tambourine and drum.  Success!  And what a beat it is.  Charles feels inspired!

A9.  Charles attempts to throw a shoe at a floating bag of paint, hoping to make a distraction.  Success!  Down comes the bag.  Splat goes the paint.  It’s distracting indeed!

Round 5 of 7:

Lia Ayres - 61%, may Act Twice

vs.

Alise Dumont - 16%, -2 Resistance

vs.

Artemis Marquis - FORFEIT

vs.

Charles Palmer - 105%, +1 Agility, +3 Strength, may act four times

vs.

Henry Reed - 71%, +1 Ability, may Act Twice
all the very best of us string ourselves up for love.

* Lia Ayres

(04/13/2019 at 20:47)
  • Expelled
  • C13D6T10S10
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Alise was in a hole. Brilliant. She could stay there for the rest of the duel, though it would be less fun than just taking her out once and for all.

"I'll remember this moment Lia, Reed. You'll regret this."

Lia glanced over at Henry, grinning. "She can't even be bothered to learn your first name. That's rather rude."

Not that she particularly expected the girl to be polite after how they'd both been gunning for her. They'd kind of passed that point already. She, at least, would definitely be in trouble if they ever had a rematch of this duel. Maybe she should get some extra practice in before school duelling started up again.

She glanced over at her other opponents, trying to see what else was going on. Henry had flowers but was still going for Alise. Neddy was... Did he have a drum? Where had that come from? Had he actually brought a drum to the duel?

More importantly, how did he feel about group playing? Not now, but just in general.

"You know, Neddy, we could use a drummer for our little music group," she said, ready to dive into the next round of spells. She was enjoying the fact that there was now some music to go along with their duel.

Lia moved forward towards the hole in the ground and pointed her wand at Alise, attempting, "Stupefy!" She followed this up immediately with an attempt of "Impedimenta!", also at Alise.
but my unsteady heart's not ready
and you would only get
what's left of me

* Charles Neddy Palmer

(04/14/2019 at 04:00)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D4T7S4
    • View Profile
In all honesty, Neddy was having a blast.  Sure, it was still unclear to him what he was meant to be doing, or if he was even allowed to be on the block without casting spells.  It seemed that the referee had been fooled when he'd waved his wand a minute ago, though, so he felt fairly confident they wouldn't pull him out just yet.  With Alise down in a hole and effectively out of the duel-- he felt only a little bad about that; she didn't seem super nice-- he was left alone with the hexing duo.

And somehow, he wasn't afraid.

His opponents seemed surprisingly forgiving, Henry's flowers looked beautiful and had left such a cool effect on the canvas, and Lia's dress looked right swell covered in all that paint.  And her hair!  It was that sort of blonde that sometimes looked red and sometimes brown and sometimes a coppery-gold or warm gray (sometimes all of the above!), and always looked soft.  Neddy touched his own hair and wondered what charms or shampoos she used, and if she'd give him tips on his plain dark locks.

"You know, Neddy, we could use a drummer for our little music group,"

His eyes widened as he remembered.  Bracken had talked about Lia before, crediting her for some melodies and chords he'd shown to Neddy up in the tower.  And here he'd totally forgotten.  They could've been talking about music this Whole Time, but instead he'd been sticking to the back and playing music for his own selfish reasons.

"That's right!" he exclaimed, tapping his fingers eagerly on the top of his drum.  "I've been practicing with Bracken-- we should totally play together!"  Then he looked away, tucking his chin into his collarbone, before quietly mumbling, "I also play the saxophone..."  His sax took precedence because he was better at it, but he was practicing his drum every single day, so soon he hoped he'd been good enough to play with Bracken's band.

Wow, that'd just be so cool.

Suddenly motivated, Neddy attempted to rat-tat-tat a more complicated beat, hoping it would boost his confidence further and give him the energy to move faster [+2 Strength, +2 Velocity, Act Twice to Neddy].  And that wasn't all.  Fueled by the high of an invitation, and the fact that he still had yet to be hit, Neddy attempted to add a jig to the show, hoping the moving around would help him avoid any errant spells, and that the performance would entertain Henry [+3 Agility to Neddy, +Health to Henry].  (He still had such pretty eyes.)

They were in a duel, but it didn't feel like that anymore.  He felt pleasantly focused, probably because instead of just the incentive of hurting others, which wasn't very appealing, he might get to go home with an Awesome canvas.  He couldn't wait to show Goose-- she appreciated colors just like he did, and she knew that every day had its own shade, and that every shade had its own personality.

He dipped his wand-brush into the barrel of orange paint, and attempted to fling it all around the dueling area, hoping the pretty splatters of paint would distract the other duelists enough to give him an edge of control in the situation [+3 Velocity, +1 Resistance, Act Twice to Neddy].  Plus, it would look great.

Next, the purple.  He retrieved his discarded right shoe and removed the shoelaces, dipping them in the barrel of purple paint.  Neddy then attempted to drag them in figure-eights across the canvas floor as if he was in preschool again, hoping the pretty swirly lines would cheer him up further and give him that sweet Creative Edge [+3 Strength, +Health to Neddy].
someday, somebody else besides me
will call me by my stage name

* Alise Lillian Dumont

(04/14/2019 at 04:46)
  • Teenager
    • View Profile
"Oh I know what his first name is. I should, after all my little cousin has taken a liking to him. Just like he doesn't shut up about you Lia." she chuckled as she staggered slightly. "I made a mistake though it seems..very unlike me that is. I should have gone for you first." She finished.

Alise was close to finished and she knew it. Still making it to the fifth round, especially after taking as much fire as she had? It wasn't anything to sneeze at. "I won't make that mistake next time and trust me...there will be a next time. So don't you go soft over the next year because...when I beat you next Summer? I want it to sting." She hissed.

Alise brandished her wand-brush for possibly the final time of the duel and attempted to cast "Wingardium Leviosa" at Lia. Her hopes were to at least leave the girl floating if she was knocked out. Her eyes focused on the other girl and she waited.

* Henry Reed

(04/14/2019 at 15:45)
  • Seventh Year
  • C15D7T15S7
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Henry had gotten a little distracted by scattering the flowers to listen in to Lia and Alise's conversation. He was getting tired of the hostile tension. His first ever fight with Bracken had most certainly given him enough of that to last a lifetime.

He'd walk through the paint that was on the floor. Henry attempted to continue to walk on the clean part of the canvas to leave colourful footprints, in hopes that it would lift his mood a bit so he wasn't so tense and could concentrate on the duel more.[+ Health to Henry, Act Twice]

He would then glance over to the two girls, sending Lia a smile.

The thin teen sighed, walking over to the hole that Alise was in. "Alise, look, the rest of your summer is going to be lonely and boring if you're too busy hating everyone. Why don't we just call it quits and have fun the rest of the duel, yeah?"

Henry attempted to hold his hand out to Alise in offer of assistance. He was hoping that offering to help an opponent out might make him feel more confident and give his own spellwork a boost, and that it would be enough of a surprise to give him an advantage [+1 ability, act twice].

At least he was trying to be kind because he wasn't fond of the idea of hurting others, in a duel or ever.

Virtue Hir

(04/14/2019 at 17:04)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D7T7S7
    • View Profile
Round 5 Results:

A1.  Lia attempts to cast Stupefy at Alise.  Success!  It’s not too stunning, though!  4% Damage!

A2.  Lia attempts to cast Impedimenta at Alise. Success!  But Alise is nimble and dodges out of the way at the last moment.

A3.  Alise attempts to cast Wingardium Leviosa at Lia.  Success!  Up she goes.  3% Damage!

A4.  Charles attempts some more rousing drumming.  Success!  His rhythm is on fire today, folks.

A5.  Charles attempts to do a little dance.  Success!  Henry is in to it, apparently, as it makes him feel a bit better.  1% Health!

A6.  Charles tries to splatter the other duelists with paint from his wand-brush.  Success!  That really brings him quite a lot of joy.

A7.  Charles attempts to create some swirly-twirly patterns on the canvas ground.  Success!  Those are some very impressive whirls!  +4% Health

A8.  Henry attempts to leave paint footprints on the canvas ground.  Failure.  Henry struts around the Block, but maybe his shoes aren’t as paint-y as he thinks.  He leaves nary a track!

A9.  Henry tries to offer Alise a helping hand. Success!  You both get by with a little help from your friends.

Round 6 of 7:

Lia Ayres - 58%, -2 Ability, in the air for two rounds or until Alise successfully casts another spell, cannot use physical actions to recover objects from the ground, will suffer additional fall damage, may act twice

vs.

Alise Dumont - 12%, -3 Velocity for Two Rounds

vs.

vs.

Charles Palmer - 109%, +3 Agility, +1 Resistance, +5 Strength, +5 Velocity, may act four times

vs.

Henry Reed - 72%, +1 Ability, may Act Twice
they say love is a virtue, don’t they?

* Lia Ayres

(04/15/2019 at 00:05)
  • Expelled
  • C13D6T10S10
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Neddy seemed completely and utterly sold on the whole idea of jamming with them, which was great. Their guitar and piano and voice combo sounded good, but adding drums to the mix would take them to a whole other level. And saxophone... well, they were starting to look like a proper band now, weren't they?

"Let's chat about that after this, okay?" she said, grinning. This was going to be brilliant! "We should probably focus on... woah!"

Her words were cut off as she soared up into the air, a strangled sound escaping her lips in her surprise. It didn't take her long to figure out who was the culprit. Even if she couldn't see from her fantastic new vantage point, she could have put two and two together. There was a clear line dividing the participants in this duel.

She grinned at Alise, wiggling her fingers in the girl's direction. "Oh, don't you worry. I get to practice with some of the best duellers England has to offer at school. I'll beat you just as soundly next year as I will this year."

Alise had made a terrible mistake, both times she'd sent Lia up into the air - she'd forgotten to do away with Lia's wand before getting her up there. So Lia pointed her wand at Alise with a shout of, "Confundus!" She followed this up with another spell at Alise. "Langlock!"

She glanced down at Henry and Neddy. "You have no idea how cool this whole place looks from up here!"

It really did too. All the colours and flowers and paint left the most amazing art everywhere.
If I wasn't so afraid
I'd shine a light up to space
Then my soul could be
Strong enough to see your face

give me one more day

* Alise Lillian Dumont

(04/15/2019 at 04:09)
  • Teenager
    • View Profile
Alise didn't know how it was possible but somehow Lia had managed to keep her wand when floated into the air. Logically, she assumed the shock or the force of being pulled upwards would leave it grounded. Her mistake. She glared at the other girl whom she was finding to be quite nasty indeed and once more?

Alise raises her wand to aim at the floating Lia. "Let's see you spit spells if you're vomiting slugs." She mutters before attempting to cast "LIMAX!"

She wasn't sure it would work but if it did she'd feel better. She was rapidly deciding she didn't like the other girl.  Her eyes scanned the Arena and she sighed.

* Charles Neddy Palmer

(04/15/2019 at 13:48)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D4T7S4
    • View Profile
"We should probably focus on... woah!"

Neddy paused in his eager rambling to watch Lia rising suddenly into the air, suspended by a paintbrush sticking out of the ground.  Oh that's right, Alise was still in.  In all honesty, he'd given her barely a passing thought the past few rounds, mostly because it didn't seem like she was going to last until the end of the duel, and also because he didn't like to dwell on things that vicious.  He was sure if he got a better look at her that he might find something interesting to write about, but she certainly wasn't as aesthetic as Mayfield had been, though she was just as mean.

He shook his head and returned his gaze to Henry, who was stomping around, seemingly trying to decorate the canvas even further.  Neat!  Unfortunately, it didn't seem like Henry had stepped in enough paint, so the footprints weren't really showing.  Nevertheless, it was an awesome idea, so Neddy decided to join him.  He attempted to smear his shoes in a pile of swirling orange-and-persimmon and stop around just like Henry, hoping the demonstration would make Henry feel better about the idea and make it easier to replicate [+Health to Henry, +3 Strength to Henry].

Next he dipped one hand in the purple paint and the other in the yellow paint.  He grinned and attempted to smear them across his cheeks, like pretty war paint, hoping it would make him feel super cool and ready for a battle [+3 Strength, +1 Resistance, Act Twice].

"You have no idea how cool this whole place looks from up here!"

Neddy peered up at Lia again, whose hair looked totally awesome falling in her face like that, and suddenly felt a little pang of jealousy.  He wanted to do that!  "Gosh, I bet it's amazing!  Also, your hair looks totally nifty from down here!"  Neddy attempted to give Lia a big double-thumbs-up, hoping the encouragement and compliment would boost her confidence and give her an advantage in the upcoming fight [+Health to Lia, Act Twice to Lia].

He kept looking at her for a minute after that, eyes squinting against the bright summer sun, wondering how he could get up there to get a look.  He could climb a ladder, but he wasn't sure it would be high enough for a view that great.  An inkling of an idea crept into his mind, and the longer he thought about it, the more appealing it became.  "Lia!  Henry!  One of you guys should totally cast Wingardium Leviosa on me!  Give me a minute though, I need to get ready for it."  Neddy then attempted to calm himself enough to slow his reaction time, hoping it would keep him from dodging the spell if it ever came.  He hoped that trusting them would also give him a nice boost in the form of friendship [-3 Agility, +Health].

If anyone asked Neddy, he'd say that it had been a very successful duel.
pretty soon you'll find some nice young satanist with braces and one capital o significant other, and you can take him home to your mother and say ma, this is my brother!

* Henry Reed

(04/15/2019 at 16:09)
  • Seventh Year
  • C15D7T15S7
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Henry'd walk away from the hole when Alise didn't take him on. He was only trying to help.

His attention was caught by Neddy, who was repeating what he had tried before but failed. "Nice one, Neds!" He'd call over as he walked closer, the trio of duellers now seeming to just be having a chat rather than fighting each other.

"Lia!  Henry!  One of you guys should totally cast Wingardium Leviosa on me!  Give me a minute though, I need to get ready for it."

Henry'd laugh, shaking his head at Neddy's request. He'd attempt to bounce up and down on his toes to warm his body in hopes that he'll warm up and start to perform better for the remainder of the duel. [+Health, Act Twice]

Glancing up at Lia, he'd have to agree that her hair did look good. But then again, when did it not?

"Alright Neddy, come here then." Lia seemed to be having fun up there so he might as well help the other dude out. Not that he wanted to be responsible for potentially dropping the fellow fourth year. Henry would grip his paintbrush, attempting to aim it at Neddy and  try tocast "Wingardium Leviosa!" at Neddy, in hopes to send him in the air like he'd wanted.

Virtue Hir

(04/15/2019 at 17:54)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D7T7S7
    • View Profile
Round 6 Results:

A1.  Lia attempts to cast Confundus at Alise.  Success!  Even from on high, she’s a formidable opponent!  6% Damage!

A2.  Lia attempts to cast Langlock at Alise.  Success!  It’s now as if Alise’s tongue is glued to the top of her mouth.

A3.  Alise attempts to cast Limax at Lia.  VOID.  Alise is Langlocked and can only cast silent spells.

A4.  Charles attempts to scoot around in paint shoes, hoping to inspire Henry.  Success!  That’s some good shoe shuffling.
[Ref’s Note:  When requesting effect, please make sure they are logical to the action/spell/potion you are using.  Here, it seems like a stretch that scooting your feet in paint would physically strengthen another duelist.  Some refs may void actions with illogical effects.]

A5.  Charles attempts to smear on some inspiring war paint. Success!  He's ready to rumble.

A6.  Charles attempts to give Lia a double thumbs-up in the hopes of boosting her morale. Success!  I heard Neddy gives the best double thumbs-up in all the camp.

A7.  Charles attempts to Calm Down.  Success!  He’s cool as a much slower cucumber now.

A8.  Henry tries to do some bouncing to warm himself up for the rest of the duel.   Success!  Henry feels ready to carry on!

A9.  Henry attempts to cast Wingardium Leviosa at Charles.  Success!  Unfortunately, Charles is a slippery one, and he dodges out of the way.

Round 7 of 7:

Lia Ayres - 64%, in the air for one round or until Alise successfully casts another spell, cannot use physical actions to recover objects from the ground, will suffer additional fall damage, may act four times

vs.

Alise Dumont - 6%, -2 Ability,  -3 Velocity, cannot speak and may only cast silent spells for Two Rounds

vs.

vs.

Charles Palmer - 112%, -3 Agility, +1 Resistance, +3 Strength, may act twice

vs.

Henry Reed - 81%, +3 Strength, may act twice
i fell in love 'cause no one saw me the way you did
and no one's seen me that way since
but for a short time that's how i lived

* Alise Lillian Dumont

(04/16/2019 at 03:05)
  • Teenager
    • View Profile
Alise looks around irritably as she tries to decide what she's going to do for the final round of the duel which she can't even speak for. Looking between the other three remaining duelists she must admit that they were far more skilled than she had given them credit for...well maybe apart from Neddy who seemed to just be running around playing instruments the entire time.

she really wasn't left with many options considering everything going on around her and the fact that she had been hit with such a spell. Alise attempts to sooth herself and calm her mind. [+Health?, +1 Resistance] It wasn't as if this round really mattered considering everything was going to be over soon one way or the other.

She sighed to herself. There wasn't much else she could do at this point besides wait for the final results. If nothing else she could at least be proud of herself for making it this far, even if she wasn't the winner.

* Lia Ayres

(04/16/2019 at 03:34)
  • Expelled
  • C13D6T10S10
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Granted, Lia had basically only met Neddy in this duel, but she was not at all surprised when he requested that they send him up in the air too. Of course, he'd want to see the view. Though it was rather spectacular, in all honesty.

Did whoever won get to keep the canvas? They had in the last duel, hadn't they? She was pretty sure that Neddy was doing the best of all of them, so it would likely be him to walk out of this on top. He'd probably love the big, crazy, colourful thing they'd created. She'd have her dress to take home as well, she supposed. She wondered if the paint would wash out, or if she could just add it into her wardrobe. It was rather fantastic.

Lia glanced around the area, noticing that not all of the paint had been set free yet. Well, that seemed like a waste of perfectly good paint. Lia pointed her wand at a waxed bag of marbled pink. "Expulso!" [make it pink!]. She then pointed it at a barrel of purple. "Expulso!" [make it purple!]. Finally, she pointed her wand at a barrel of green paint. "Expulso!" [all the colours!]

She grinned at all the colours around them, kind of wishing they'd all just ignored the duel and got covered in paint. It was making her feel like a kid again, making it easier to forget all the horrible things that had happened last year. Too bad she'd had Alise to deal with, though she had rather enjoyed kicking the Dumont girl's behind. She was already looking forward to a rematch next year.

For good measure, Lia pointed her wand at Alise one final time, "Confundus!"
but my unsteady heart's not ready
and you would only get
what's left of me

* Henry Reed

(04/16/2019 at 16:07)
  • Seventh Year
  • C15D7T15S7
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Yes! They'd all made it to the end of the duel! They were so, so close to finishing.

Henry laughed as he looked around the area, at the artwork on the canvas made by splatters of paint. He noticed that Lia was attempting to make it brighter and he was glad that she was having fun.

The thin teen walked over to Alise, paintbrush loose in his hand. He attempted to offer a hand out to Alise, in hopes that she would shake it and they'd leave the duel on a good note. This would hopefully brighten Henry's mood. [+Health to Henry]

He'd send her a smile as he moved to one of the paint puddles left from his earlier blasting of barrels. Taking his paintbrush, hoping that it wouldn't actually damage his wand, Henry would attempt to dip the brush end into the paint and try to write on the canvas, 'H.R was here- Congrats Neddy!', in hopes that it would be a good end to the duel, especially since Neddy was most likely to win. The phrase was used in hopes to encourage Neddy to succeed at winning the duel.[+Health to both Henry & Neddy]

"Thanks for a good duel, guys!" He'd call as he stood up to look around at the others. Henry felt like this had been a good bonding opportunity.

Virtue Hir

(04/16/2019 at 18:02)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D7T7S7
    • View Profile
Round 7 Results:

A1.  Lia attempts to cast Expulso at a bag of marbled pink paint.  Success!  She makes it pink!
[Ref’s Note: I know you’re being playful here--and I love it!--but just for clarity for everyone--make sure to request effects for any Creative Use spells so that your ref knows what to grant you.]

A2.  Lia attempts to cast Expulso at a barrel of purple paint.  Success!  She makes it purple!

A3.  Lia attempts to cast Expulso at a barrel of green paint.  Success!  She makes it ALL THE COLORS!

A4.  Lia attempts to cast Confundus at Alise.  Success!  But Alise is able to move out of the way at the last moment and dodges.

A5.  Alise attempts to soothe herself.  Unfortunately, she doesn’t feel very soothed.  The action fails.
[Ref’s Note:  Don’t short yourself on modifiers!  Because the effects you requested totaled three modifiers, the action is Advanced.  You could request up to +3 in one modifier for Advanced actions.  You can read more about Creative Use Physical Actions here.]

A6.  Henry attempts to shake Alise’s hand, hoping the good sportsmanship lifts his mood. Success!  He feels like he’s ending the duel on a high note, at least.  5% Health!

A7.  Henry attempts to write a message in paint on the canvas to bolster himself and Charles.  VOIDED.
[Ref’s Note:  The effects you requested total four modifiers.  Advanced creative use actions, the highest Physical Action may go, only allow for a max of three modifiers. Please make sure you stay within the modifier limits.]

A8.  Lia falls from Wingardium Leviosa.  Ouchies!  ...but not too ouchie.  1% Damage!

Final Results:

Lia Ayres - 63%
vs.

Alise Dumont - 6%

vs.

vs.

Charles Palmer - 112%

vs.

Henry Reed - 86%

congratulations to

charles "neddy" palmer

who is today's winner!

The following characters will receive +1 bonus point to add to any stat in their duelling profile for the 1956-57 Duelling Tournament: Lia Ayres, Alise Dumont (if applied as a student), Charles Neddy Palmer, Henry Reed.
« Last Edit: 04/16/2019 at 23:11 by Virtue Hir »
all the very best of us string ourselves up for love.

Tags: