As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: weaving time in a tapestry // closed  (Read 247 times)

Adam Hoying

(03/26/2019 at 21:29)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C7D8T7S7
    • View Profile
There were two ways he could respond to this situation.

A: continue to apologize profusely for what she had missed.

or

B: offer a solution to what she had missed.

Typically, Option A felt more natural to the Ravenclaw. This time, something prompted him to choose the latter.

It took a considerable amount of convincing to persuade her to let him buy her ice cream; he pointed out how much she had already done for him that she hadn't needed to, insisted that it wasn't nearly enough to repay her, but he had to try.

(And Adam Hoying, no matter how difficult it got, always tried.)
old but i'm not that old
young but i'm not that bold

And I don't think the world is sold
on just doing
what we're told

Mia Green

(03/26/2019 at 21:35)
  • Montrose Magpies Keeper
  • C10D8T8S9
  • Player of the Summer ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
At first, she didn't want to accept the offer.

In the end, she caved.

sunday, june 24, 1956
residential wizarding london
outside adam hoying's flat

Just like any other Sunday mornings Mia had free, her first stop was a trip to Diagon Alley for pastries at Bryce & Co. Bakery. This time, however, instead of eating what she bought on location, she made her way back to what she called home base and left a little bag with the bakery's insignia depicted on it outside the flat above hers.
look, if you had one shot, one opportunity
to seize everything you ever wanted

o n e  m o m e n t
would you capture it or just let it slip?

Adam Hoying

(03/26/2019 at 21:38)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C7D8T7S7
    • View Profile
It was not often that a smile appeared on the face of Adam Hoying, but it seemed it did not take much to bring it out. A small act of kindness was more than sufficient.

An hour later, he brought a cinnamon roll from Bryce & Co. Bakery to St. Mungo's, and, with her nurse's permission, presented it to Martina Wells. She didn't know who to thank for it, but, as she reiterated over and over, it sure tasted good.
I created a monster
a beast inside my brain
i've nowhere to go, i'm out on my own, my mind impaired
Awake me from my nightmare

Mia Green

(04/05/2019 at 12:18)
  • C10D8T8S9
    • View Profile
monday, june 25, 1956
outside the flat of mia green and marina lamont

Upon arriving back from a particularly tough Quidditch practice, the sight of a thank-you note fixed onto the door was certainly enough to lighten her spirits. She hadn't expected anything in return, and the poetic, flowing words of Adam Hoying were quite capable of warming a heart. She resolved to ask him about his aunt in person the next time she saw him.

Three days passed before she did.
did you think i'd lay down and die?
Oh no, not I

I  w i l l  s u r v i v e

Adam Hoying

(04/08/2019 at 21:58)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C7D8T7S7
    • View Profile
monday, june 25, 1956
st. mungo's hospital for magical maladies and injuries
magical psychology ward

A day after receiving it, Martina Wells was still very much so fixated on the cinnamon roll.

However many pictures he showed her, they barely triggered even a spark of recognition. She did not know the people in the photos that smiled and waved from the moments they were forever captured within, nor the memories that took place then. But the pastry, from the bakery she should have remembered but did not, kept returning to her mind.

She contributed a few words to his thank-you note - perhaps the most coherent sentences she had spoken in a while.

tuesday, june 26, 1956
magical psychology ward

He brought her another pastry from Bryce & Co. Bakery. She thanked him, but he could tell it was not nearly as good; it did not mean nearly as much. He again felt profound gratefulness for one Mia Green.

wednesday, june 27, 1956
magical psychology ward

Adam rarely, if ever, talked for a minute straight. Today he talked for hours, telling her of all the places she had once gone and wanted to take him to as well. The Taj Mahal, San Francisco, Rome, Sydney...he had only a second-hand account of all the places Martina Wells had seen before, but the boy tried his best to paint the first-hand experiences she had forgotten with words.

It surprised her, when he said it was she that had given him all of this information that she listened to with rapt attention.

thursday, june 28, 1956
magical psychology ward

As the time ticked by, Adam continued to spend his days telling stories. As a boy who liked to write, this was really what he did, though it was typically more difficult out loud. But it was a suggestion of the nurses, and so, despite how hopeless it could feel, he continued on, telling Martina Wells the stories that had slipped away from her, like novels recently read but too easily forgotten.

"That's nice, dear," was her response to a story about the first few weeks they had lived in Wales together.

To anyone else, it might not have seemed like much. But it was the first term of endearment she had directed towards him since the incident, and it meant everything.

He headed back to the flat that evening with a slightly lighter heart and a hope for further progress. There was a long, tough road ahead, but he thought they (for this, he was determined, they would do together) might have taken the first steps.
I created a monster
a beast inside my brain

Mia Green

(04/08/2019 at 22:02)
  • C10D8T8S9
    • View Profile
thursday, june 28, 1956
outside the flat of mia green and marina lamont
evening

Having been sitting on the front steps with a popsicle (she may be nineteen, but that didn't mean she was completely grown-up yet), she spotted Adam Hoying approaching the building and waved cheerfully in the younger boy's direction. "Hey, Adam! How are you doing?"

did you think i'd lay down and die?
Oh no, not I

I  w i l l  s u r v i v e

Adam Hoying

(04/08/2019 at 22:05)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C7D8T7S7
    • View Profile
"Well," he said, an answer that somehow both surprised him and made sense all at once. "You?"
I created a monster
a beast inside my brain

Mia Green

(04/08/2019 at 22:07)
  • C10D8T8S9
    • View Profile
"The same," she responded with a grin. A second or two passed before the smile sobered, fading in luminosity at the arrival of a more somber topic. "How's your aunt?" Mia desperately hoped he wouldn't mind her asking.
I give love to all of my people

All of my people need
love

I give some

Adam Hoying

(04/08/2019 at 22:10)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C7D8T7S7
    • View Profile
He hesitantly stepped a bit closer to the steps, leaning himself against the railing before responding. "There are ups and downs," he answered honestly, "Today was an up."

The hint of something rare from Adam Hoying - a little smile.

"I think she might be making some progress."
old but i'm not that old
young but i'm not that bold

And I don't think the world is sold
on just doing
what we're told

Mia Green

(04/09/2019 at 12:12)
  • C10D8T8S9
    • View Profile
"That's excellent, Adam!" Once more, her grin was radiant, seeming to almost shine in the pale evening sunlight (she was frequently told she had great teeth). "I'm so glad for that." A pause, and then, "If you ever need anything, feel free to ask."
look, if you had one shot, one opportunity
to seize everything you ever wanted

o n e  m o m e n t
would you capture it or just let it slip?

Adam Hoying

(04/09/2019 at 12:15)
  • Ravenclaw '57
  • C7D8T7S7
    • View Profile
"Will do," he said before bidding Mia goodbye and heading up to his flat for the night.

He hadn't really meant it.

(Or maybe, just maybe, he had.)

wednesday, july 4, 1956
adam hoying's flat
morning

He had barely woken up and begun to contemplate breakfast when there was a knock at the door.

we're going too fast, fast save us
--we're going too fast, fast--
s a v e  u s  n o w