As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: tangled || téo  (Read 77 times)

* Nashira Nettlebed

(12/22/2018 at 00:08)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
It had been almost a month now since she'd spun the infamous bottle, and Nashira could now finally say that she was so over it. Unfortunately, it seemed as if her eyes had not gotten the memo. Not for the first time, her blue eyes surveyed the dining hall for any trace of Téo Wittington. Not for the first time, her eyes would lift several times over the duration of lunch. Not for the first time, in those occasions when Wittington looked back, Nashira responded to a warm smile with warm cheeks and a blank stare.

However, today was one of the few times when Vega Nettlebed was nowhere to be seen. Though she'd balked at the occasion before, Nashira knew, now, that if she did not confront this problem head-on, she would continue to stare, to lock eyes, to make a fool of herself.

This had to stop.

Confronting Vanessa had yielded successful results on that front. While she'd gone in without a plan, and the conversation hadn't exactly been a pleasant one, Nash was no longer plagued with the memory of the look in her friend's eyes after their lips had parted. She still remembered the kiss itself all too regularly, bit at least the air around it had been generally cleared. Of course, Nashira didn't know Téo Wittington like she knew Nessa Naoi, but she did know that she was a close friend of Vega's. The way she saw it, there was no way that someone smart, fun or cool would hang around someone like Vega. And if someone was neither smart nor fun nor cool, then they had no place lingering in Nashira Nettlebed's waking dreams.

This had to stop.

Her heart seem to thrum a little faster as she set her fork down by her plate, still half-full with a half-eaten lunch. Her gaze lingered on the table for a moment while Nashira collected thoughts, courage and cool before pushing out her chair and standing. With a deep breath, she settled her exterior into something respectable, smoothing the folds of her black blouse (the same one, she now realised, that she had worn to the party), clearing her throat and pulling back her shoulders. With a measured gate, she walked over to the table where Maria Teodora Wittington sat.

She stopped to stand before the seat opposite the Gryffindor. The fingers whose tips reached to settle on the tabletop were the only sign of movement as Nashira stilled, intent on hiding every bit of her shaky nerves beneath an unwavering facade. When she spoke, her lips barely moved at all.

"Did you want something?" She asked, hoping to make it seem like Téo had been looking first, this time and all the times before, and thus protect her own aloof dignity.
if I win the lottery you'll never see me again
i'll be downtown

see you around

Maria Teodora Wittington

(12/23/2018 at 23:49)
  • Sixth Year
  • C7D6T8S5
    • View Profile
Nashira Nettlebed was the first—at least that Téo had noticed—person to just watch or look at her so much. Though she was aware of the attention she received from boys, she was not at all familiar with feminine attention. She was the watcher. Having the role reversed had her both intrigued and slightly uncomfortable (though, Téo wasn’t sure what exactly was making her uncomfortable about having Vega’s sister constantly seeming to look at her).

During those times that their eyes would meet, Téo merely smiled easily back at the younger girl. At times, she was not even sure who looked first. She thought maybe Nashira, though she had caught the blushing, and less than pleased expression, as if the other girl was surprised at her own reaction to staring at Téo. So she had a feeling that Nashira did not intend to look at her as much as she was. Much like during Spin the Bottle, the younger Nettlebed appeared like she was up to something, but as soon as she met Téo’s eyes, it was as if she’d fumbled and her plans had shattered on the floor.

Sometimes she wondered if Vega noticed what her sister was doing.

Vega Nettlebed, however, was not at her side at the moment. Instead, Téo sat mostly alone, with a terracotta mug of steaming coffee in one hand and the fingers of the other were drumming lightly on the tabletop. She was thinking mostly about one of her paintings, one that was unfinished; out the corner of her eye, however, she managed to notice Nashira still looking at her.

"Did you want something?"

So she was unsurprised to find the other girl at her table. Tilting her head upward in order to meet blue eyes, red lips curved slowly into a grin. “Well,” Téo started, voice steady and tinged with a bit of amusement. “Hola to you too.”

Nashira Nettlebed was another first, but it was a first that Téo did not really feel like admitting to herself at the moment.

Whenever Téo was presented with her chosen model (whether they knew this or not), the intensity in her gaze could not be helped brightening, and she studied the younger Nettlebed for a moment before one darkly shaped eyebrow arched a little.

“Funny,” Téo’s smile had widened a little, though it was entirely good-natured, “I could ask you the same thing.”

* Nashira Nettlebed

(12/24/2018 at 07:28)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
"Yes, hi."

Hi had become a taboo word in Nashira's mouth, especially when the person across from her was Maria Téodora Wittington. Hi, in her own voice turned unnaturally shy, demure and nearly mute, still rang clear and loud in her memory. Hi was what Téo must surely remember her for most. After all, despite her best efforts, it was what Nashira remembered most -- the beginning of a kiss that surely earned her more embarrassment than pride.

Nashira wanted to forget, she wanted to look away, and she wanted to ignore Téo just as everything connected to her irksome sister deserved to be ignored. But like an itch she couldn't quite scratch, her eyes could never quite stray too far. She couldn't help but wonder whether Vega had noticed -- or what Vega would think of her standing across from where Téo sat, now. She knew she would absolutely loathe to see Vega speaking with Virtue after their own kiss and so, with no small measure of satisfaction, Nashira deduced that Vega would hate this very much.

Yet now that she was standing here, Nashira wasn't sure what she should do. As fierce as her resolve had been a few seconds ago, she now found herself without any idea of what she wanted to do. While she kept her stony-faced facade well in place, she could feel her structure beginning to crumble.

“Funny,” ... “I could ask you the same thing.”

Her head turned slightly to the side -- not quite a shake but an attempt at denial nonetheless. Perhaps it had stalled because Nashira knew that Téo was right. Honestly, she wasn't quite sure. She had no bearings in this uncharted territory. She didn't have a clue what she was doing -- or even what she wanted.

"I--" Nashira's mind raced to come up with something -- anything to say. A more rational part of her mind urged her to simply march away and never think back on this moment again. A more dignified part of her mind reeled at the thought of how embarrassing such a retreat would be. A more terrified part of her mind imagined Téo and Vega laughing about that in the privacy of their bedsheets just like Nashira and Virtue would often laugh at Muffy Sandersbury or Gertrude Morningdew in that very same way.

So, Nashira stayed.

"I suppose I wanted to talk." Still, it sounded irrational and undignified in a way that left Nashira enduringly terrified. She could only hope her emotions were not too transparent as she ultimately opted to sit down. Already, she regretted it. Nashira had no idea what she wanted to talk about with someone with whom her only prior interaction was a kiss.

Without a clue and without a plan, there was no way this could end well.
i'll be downtown

see you around

Maria Teodora Wittington

(01/02/2019 at 08:34)
  • Sixth Year
  • C7D6T8S5
    • View Profile
Téo was unable to stop her lips from quirking upward even more at the Hi; and, just like at the event, she felt compelled to put the younger girl’s nerves at ease. Though, she was still confused why Nashira Nettlebed practically became another person around her, all shy and uncertain, because from what she had heard, this was not at all what Vega’s sister was like.

It was very intriguing. 

Taking a drink of her coffee, Téo briefly wondered if her right eyebrow was just going to stay perpetually arched when it came to Nashira. But as she lowered her mug, she was wearing a warmer smile, and at the other girl’s halting ’I—‘, her gaze turned sympathetic.

"I suppose I wanted to talk."

That was not what she was expecting, yet again, from Nashira Nettlebed. So Téo’s brow creased as the other girl took the seat opposite her. Propping her elbow up on the table, Téo rested her chin in her hand, and met the other girl’s gaze.

“I don’t suppose it’s about what kind of meat is in the Wednesday lunch special? Because I’ve made it a habit to stay fifty feet away from it.”

Though there was a hint of teasing in her voice, Téo actually did have a pretty good idea of just what Nashira wanted to talk about, and it had to do with a damned bottle and a particular kiss.

* Nashira Nettlebed

(01/04/2019 at 04:41)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
“I don’t suppose it’s about what kind of meat is in the Wednesday lunch special? Because I’ve made it a habit to stay fifty feet away from it.”

To Nashira's surprise, Téo was cracking an awful lot of jokes. It wasn't that the Gryffindor didn't look like the sort of person with a good sense of humour, or even that this wan't the moment for it (although, in Nash's opinion, it certainly wasn't the best time for wise-cracking) -- it was that Téo was Vega's friend. And if there was ever a person with a sense of humour worse than Nashira's, it was her older sister.

(Or so Calvin Sharppe had lead her to believe.)

More surprising still was the ghost of a smile that began to draw upon the corners of Nashira's lips. It wasn't quite the sort of smile she wore for Virtue or Vanessa or Lia or even Calvin when he'd been worthy of them, but even the smallest smile upon these lips was a rare sight, indeed. But the thought of what she had to say, the thought that she'd have to rectify Téo's jest, kept Nashira's lips from inching any further upward.

"No," She confirmed. "It's not about the food." With a deep breath, Nash tried to find her cool, to collect her thoughts, and settle into her usual poise. It worked, but not quite as much as she'd hoped.

"I wanted to talk about the kiss. Namely, did you--" Initially, Nashira had wanted to asked whether Téo had liked it. Somehow, that sounded too personal, too much like she'd liked it, too. So, she opted for another way to pose her question.

"--hate it?" But as soon as she said it, Nashira realised this was far worse. Now, she just sounded insecure.
i'll be downtown

see you around

Maria Teodora Wittington

(01/09/2019 at 05:15)
  • Sixth Year
  • C7D6T8S5
    • View Profile
She had noticed.

Maybe it was because Téo wanted to paint the girl sitting across from her. Maybe it was because part of her was thinking about the potential subject matter that Nashira wanted to talk about. Maybe it was just that she had a good deal of experience when it came to Nettlebeds.

Regardless, Téo had caught the smile.

Though faint, she’d followed the movement of the other girl’s lips as they curved. Full, smooth, and entirely contradictory, if she had to guess. Nashira Nettlebed was an interesting contrast to her sister. Because in some ways, they were actually relatively similar (not that she’d share that with Vega), but then there were these.

Differences; like how Nashira’s hair was a brighter shade, and fire seemed to reflect off of it; Vega’s was more of a deep, shining gold. How Nashira’s features were a tad sharper than Vega’s were. And how much more Nashira Nettlebed’s armor seemed to crack. Crack, and crack, until jagged lines ran all through it.

Téo wondered what would happen once all those cracks grew and expanded, completely shattering that shiny armor.

"I wanted to talk about the kiss."

Téo felt her entire body freeze, dark eyes snapping upward and away from the fine details of the other girl’s face. Oh. She knew it, she did, but it was a whole other thing to hear it, and from that very person, that happened to be directly in front of you.

“Namely, did you--

Breathing seemed oddly restricted, and she was suddenly thankful she hadn't been drinking her coffee at that moment. The stiffening of her muscles had caused her to sit up straighter.

"--hate it?"

Téo’s lips parted, but only for a moment, as if she were going to say something. Nothing happened though, and red lips pressed closed, as she studied the younger girl. Largely because she wasn’t sure she wanted to face her feelings towards the kiss. They were an impressive mess. Still, why was Nashira even asking this question?

“Uh,” not a real word came out of her mouth, and she shifted, resting her arms down on the table. Téo knew that you were not, under any circumstances, to like kissing another girl. Or worse, like kissing a girl over any boy. Worse still, only like kissing girls.

Biting her lip a little, Téo focused on a splintered piece of the table, before eventually sighing. “I didn’t—“ her jaw worked, and she ran a hand through her hair.  “—hate it.”

Wait.

Téo gave the younger girl the look (right eyebrow arched, amused smile) that she was pretty sure her face had conjured up specially for Nashira Nettlebed.

“Did you?”

* Nashira Nettlebed

(01/12/2019 at 00:36)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
Nashira did not like feeling vulnerable. Every action she posed was usually a deliberate effort to protect herself at all times, from all sides. But beneath Téo's smoldering gaze, talking about a kiss and the [/I]liking[/I] and [/I]hating[/I] of it, she felt more exposed than ever before. While her composure had not yet entirely shattered, she feared it would. She feared her carefully constructed wall of ice would shatter beneath Téo's summer sunshine, leaving Nash naked and exposed, with nothing to protect her from being burned.

“Uh,”

If she'd regretted the question already, she certainly regretted it now. There was a sinking feeling, starting from the back of her throat and falling into the pits of her stomach. Nash could feel herself going slightly numb, but through it all, she could still feel her expression hardening; a last line of defense when everything else threatened to cave in.

She shouldn't have asked this. There were so many logical reasons not to ask this sort of thing that Nash couldn't help but marvel at all the irrational thoughts that had lead her here in the first place.

She should have known from the moment that she'd ardently wanted to kiss Téo despite Vega no longer being there to witness it, that this was a bad idea. She should have known from the moment Calvin Sharppe had doubled down on his position that it just wasn't right that no good would come from pressing the issue further. Even when Téo finally assured her that she had not, in fact, hated the kiss, Nashira had already made up her mind that she had steamrolled this conversation in the entirely wrong direction.

“Did you?”

"It was--"

The honest answer would have been that she had quite enjoyed it, actually, and more so than she was comfortable with. But an honest answer would leave her open to rejection or worse, ridicule -- this was one of Vega's best friend's, after all, and who knew what sorts of things her sister said behind her back. And though she'd waited a whole month before initiating this conversation, these were not outcomes she'd prepared for. A minute ago, the smile Téo matched to her question might have assuaged her doubts, but her previous hesitation had sent Nash spinning far too deep within her doubt.

So, Nashira shrugged, trying to seem aloof despite the blood that still stained her from the face down.

"--just a kiss."
i'll be downtown

see you around

Tags: