As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: map on a wall | trash snaps  (Read 80 times)

* Virtue Hir

(12/10/2018 at 20:31)
  • Fifth Year
  • C7D5T5S5
    • View Profile
saturday, 2 july 1955
the chippingford saturday market
late afternoon
she's spoiling her dinner

"Nash!"

She caught her quite by accident, turning away from a stall with her skirt pockets several sickles lighter and a fat wad of candyfloss twirled around a stick in her hand.

She didn't, actually, quite catch her the first time.

"Nashira," Virtue said louder, jogging a steps behind her, her flats slapping out harsh sounds against the neat cobblestone.
i would sleep better on your floor than i would ever in my bed,
and if your carpet makes my face it, it would still be heaven in my head.

* Nashira Nettlebed

(12/12/2018 at 18:23)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
Nashira wasn't here to buy anything. Still brimming with anger from the night before, stirred into further turmoil by her discussion with Calvin Sharppe, the blonde was merely here in search of a distraction.

What she got instead was a reminder.

At the sound of Virtue's voice, heard only at its second call, Nashira's meandering stride stalled. She glanced over her shoulder, tentative with guilt, reticent with resentment.

"Virtue," She responded nevertheless, body only half-turned to face her friend.
« Last Edit: 12/12/2018 at 18:24 by Nashira Nettlebed »
if I win the lottery you'll never see me again
i'll be downtown

see you around

* Virtue Hir

(12/17/2018 at 21:57)
  • Fifth Year
  • C7D5T5S5
    • View Profile
"There you are," she said like she had been looking for her all this time and like the half-turn of her body was neither noticed nor terribly telling.  Like she often did, she tried to hook her arm through her friend's to crook at the elbow.

"Try this."

True held out the candyfloss like it was the natural thing to do.

"It tastes like pomegranate."
my head has thoughts. what a ridiculous place to start.
she said, "well how about my chest, or more specifically my heart?"

* Nashira Nettlebed

(12/17/2018 at 22:50)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
Virtue's arm fit so naturally into her own. It was so tempting to let it rest there and let all her anger rest with it. Nashira almost managed it, too, as her free hand reached casually for the candyfloss.

(Teo and Nessa had both tasted so sweet -- sweeter than she ever expected them to be. And Nashira had spent too much of the previous nigth awake, wondering whether she'd tasted just as delicious upon their own lips. And she'd wondered, too, more bitterly, what Virtue had thought of Vega's lips.)

Blue eyes lingered a moment upon the pomegranate candyfloss between her too-tense fingers before lifting to search Virtue's.

She knew she could never let anything rest if she didn't put it to sleep first.

"Why did you kiss Vega?"

i'll be downtown

see you around

* Virtue Hir

(12/17/2018 at 23:19)
  • Fifth Year
  • C7D5T5S5
    • View Profile
There was a reason it was Nashira Nettlebed above all other girls who was Virtue Hir's best friend, and it was that she was possessed of a ravishing frankness.  Under usual circumstances, it was a trait she quite liked.  On the pointed end of it, though, like was perhaps not the word choice she would make.

At least they wouldn't spend a half hour circling it.  That, like Nash, she could always respect.

Virtue, with her teeth, tore off a piece of pulled sugar.

"Christ, Nash, you say it like I chose to."  Virtue licked the corner of her lips, sticky already with pomegranate flavor and lipstick wax.  "She was the one on the other end of the bottle when I spun it.  What should I have done, given her a firm handshake?"

i would sleep better on your floor than i would ever in my bed,
and if your carpet makes my face it, it would still be heaven in my head.

* Nashira Nettlebed

(12/17/2018 at 23:27)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
It wasn't easy, to keep her eyes from circling in their orbits, but Nashira managed it. The restraint, unfortunately, seemed only to fuel the fire that was building in her gut.

"True, please." The nickname came out harder than she was accustomed to, a terse hiss as anger tensed up Nashira's vocal cords and straightened her spine. The second word seemed to fall even harder, weighed down by a bitter accusation woven into its undertones: don't take me for an imbecile.

"Why did you kiss her like that?"
i'll be downtown

see you around

* Virtue Hir

(12/17/2018 at 23:44)
  • Fifth Year
  • C7D5T5S5
    • View Profile
One eyebrow, the one with the sharp and angular arch, quirked.

Because she hadn't kissed Vega like she kissed Jeremiah Smallweed (which was to say opened-mouthed and with her fingers tangling in his hair, against his skin), or like she had once kissed Noah Arcilla (which was to say like she wanted to be kissing Jeremiah Smallweed), she wasn't sure what like that Nash was on about.

"What are you even talking about?"

It was less dismissive and more concerned.
my head has thoughts. what a ridiculous place to start.
she said, "well how about my chest, or more specifically my heart?"

* Nashira Nettlebed

(12/17/2018 at 23:57)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
"She's my sister."

As much as Nashira wanted to be crystal clear about what it was, exactly, that had bothered her about the kiss -- about so many of the kisses exchanged the night before but that one especially -- her own comprehension was muddy at best.

Nash didn't know why it bothered her.

It just did.

She finally lifted her own piece of candyfloss to her teeth and ripped off a piece. It did taste like pomegranate.

"That's just--" A scoff that sounded a little bit like 'ugh' crossed her lips as she chewed and sent her on a different path. "It looked like you liked it."
i'll be downtown

see you around

* Virtue Hir

(01/04/2019 at 00:55)
  • Fifth Year
  • C7D5T5S5
    • View Profile
"Like I--"

A scoff, one that was high and almost shrieking and which tasted like pomegranate, left her lips.  True's hand fluttered to her chest like her mother's, when startled, so often did.  When she realized, she instead plucked another fingers-full of candyfloss.

The truth of the matter was that Virtue Hir hadn't, strictly speaking, disliked her kiss with Vega Nettlebed.  Though she wouldn't seek one out again, he hadn't found it outright unlikable, like she imagined she would if she had the grave misfortune of kissing Patrick Primbleton.

This, however, was not something that even Nashira Nettlebed, who knew everything about her, needed to know.

"Come on, Nash," she said instead through a mouthful of candyfloss.  A grin fitted over her lips, but she quickly smoothed it out into a terribly serious look.  "Don't be like that.  You know you're the only Nettlebed for me."
i fell in love 'cause no one saw me the way you did
and no one's seen me that way since
but for a short time that's how i lived

* Nashira Nettlebed

(01/10/2019 at 16:23)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
As much as Nash wanted to hold onto her anger, to wear it like an armor and flaunt it for all to see, and as much as the image burned into her memory would forever fuel a spark of resentment, she couldn't stay angry at Virtue.

In a way, it was annoying to think she could be so easily mollified.

In a different way, Nashira knew that True was not the real culprit, here.

As she crossed her arms, Nashira gave a shrug that displaced blonde her blonde hair from its perch behind her ear. Her eyes moved slightly skyward -- not rolling, but avoiding meeting her friends gaze as Nash let herself move the discussion into territory that left her more vulnerable, more exposed.

"You should have seen the way she looked at me."
i'll be downtown

see you around

* Virtue Hir

(01/11/2019 at 18:15)
  • Fifth Year
  • C7D5T5S5
    • View Profile
“Oh, I did.”

Virtue had seen the look that Vega Nettlebed had given her younger sister--had watched it flower (which seemed much too kind a word, considering) on her features up close and personal, in fact, as she had been only a few scant inches away at the time.  Since the ice in Nash’s voice had started to thaw, it hardly seemed like the appropriate time to bring this back up.  Virtue redirected.

“She was just doing it to be a pain,” she suggested, because she was sure it was the truth.  Vega hadn’t so much as said a word to her the whole time, so she was sure it had nothing at all to do with Virtue as Virtue and entirely more to do with Virtue as Nashira’s Best Friend, a convenient prop to prove some (she was sure) sisterly point.  Clearly, whatever that point was had been made.

But what exactly it was, Virtue wasn’t sure.  She plucked off another fat finger-full of candyfloss, this time offering it to Nash.

“What’s it got you so down for?”
hold me closely.
i don't think you should love me.

* Nashira Nettlebed

(01/16/2019 at 19:54)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
So she'd seen and kissed Vega anyway. Nash bristled, her temper flaring for a moment before tempering itself again. It wasn't gone, simply tucked away for later. For Vega.

"She was," Nash conceded. She'd wanted to be a pain and she'd caused more pain than Nash could have anticipated. Even the good things -- the great things -- that had happened last night seemed intrinsically linked to that terrible beginning that had poisoned everything in its wake. "And it worked."

Nash didn't often admit that she was hurt. True was one of the rare few who had heard this sort of admission from her before. And yet, as much as she trusted her best friend, she felt incredibly vulnerable as she thought of an answer to the question that came next.

“What’s it got you so down for?”

Between her anger at Vega, Virtue, Vanessa, and even at Calvin Sharppe, Nashira knew she was on a rampage much more epic in proportions compared to her usual vendettas. But as righteous as her outrage seemed, she couldn't quite figure out why a game of spin the bottle was causing her so much turmoil.

She took the offered candyfloss, her eyes piercing through its sugar in their mission to avoid meeting Virtue's. Nash didn't eat it yet. She could feel the thin strands melting beneath the pressure of her fingertips.

"I don't know."
i'll be downtown

see you around

* Virtue Hir

(01/19/2019 at 16:12)
  • Fifth Year
  • C7D5T5S5
    • View Profile
There were few things that Virtue Marie Hir truly hated in the world.  Bad poetry was one, her father another (though she loved him in equal measure, and she hated that, too), the way it felt like ten minutes waiting for a film to start was much longer than ten minutes spent doing anything else.   She disliked much (it was, after all, Virtue), but she hated only a few things truly.

She added in that moment seeing Nashira Nettlebed, her indomitable and most steadfast friend, feeling like this to that short list.

"Don't let that dreadful troll get to you."  She said it a little more forcibly than she perhaps should have, which felt safer now that her friend's anger was directed at the dreadful troll in question at not at Virtue herself.  "Especially over something that meant precisely nothing to her, or, for that matter, to me."

True offered her hand--the one not holding the spool of candyfloss--to Nash.

"Come on," she said, softer this time.  "Let's find something to keep your mind off of it."
hold me closely.
i don't think you should love me.

* Nashira Nettlebed

(01/31/2019 at 15:12)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
Nashira Nettlebed was not fine.

She still stirred with tumultuous emotions she didn't quite understand. She burned with something fierce and world-ending at the thought of so many of last night's kisses. Virtue and Vega's was just one of the three that plagued her. It only happened to be the single one that did not involve her. The only one she had no control over. In a way, that made it worse than her confusion over Téo, or the hurt she felt when she remembered how Vanessa had seemed more embarrassed than pleased in their aftermath.

But Nashira Nettlebed was nevertheless fine with absolving True of any blame.

She was fine with shoveling all that blame to her older sister. It was Vega, after all, who'd gone out of her way to cause this pain Nashira felt. It was Vega who'd seen just how precious Virtue Hir was to her little sister and had gone out of her way to steal it away like a child of five might hoard the best toy in the family toybox.

So Nashira Nettlebed decided that she would be fine, that deep down, Virtue Hir was hers more than anyone else's, still, and took her best friend's hand into her own -- the one that was not currently dropping candyfloss onto her tongue.

"Alright," She replied. "Fancy a game of gobstones, then?"

Fin
i'll be downtown

see you around

Tags: