Author Topic: Brave the Bridge | Open  (Read 163 times)

* Pax Fellwater

    (12/09/2018 at 00:26)
  • *
  • Seventh Year
  • C9D7T5S5
    • View Profile
Late July
a good afternoon for a swim

Now that he was here, Pax was rethinking things. It was a big bridge. There was certainly water down there to be jumped into, but it would be a plummet long enough to regret every mistake he’d made in life before he hit the bottom.

He didn’t want to leave, though, and have come out here for nothing. Although, with the pointlessness of this bridge to begin with, maybe leaving disappointed was appropriate. Pax wasn’t a follower, though, not of trends, not of rules, and certainly not of themes of pointlessness. This bridge needed a purpose, and he was determined to bend it to his entertainment.

But it was a big bridge.

Tentatively, Pax stooped to loosen a bit of crumbling rock from the great structure. It was a pittance, smaller than his hand, but big enough to make a noise on its way down. So Pax, looking over as far as he dared, sent the stone falling, falling down. It took several seconds,  bouncing off both manufactured and natural stone before plopping hollowly into the river.

The thing about a time-weathered bridge, though, was that there were plenty of hand- and foot-holds all the way down where the stone had become uneven.

It might be possible…

“I could probably climb lower…”

DON'T FALL ASLEEP WITH THE
MOONLIGHT
SHE'LL MAKE YOU SWEAT IN THE WATER

Vanessa Naoi

    (12/09/2018 at 02:23)
  • *
  • Fifth Year
  • C5D2T2S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
"Scared, Fellwater?"

A flash of white teeth softened the taunt, clarifying that it was all in jest. Glancing over the bridge, she let out a low whistle— even Vanessa had to admit, it was a long drop— his hesitation was reasonable.

But she hadn't talked to the Ravenclaw boy much before, besides a few interactions here and there, and she wasn't about to make the impression that she was scared. As if she had been planning to jump all along, Vanessa strolled straight to the edge, teetering between solid stone and nothingness, daring Pax to follow. Standing there, still-wet hair speaking of a recent dip in Glasswater Creek and the sun's warmth on her cheeks, she felt awash in adrenaline, in triumph, wrapped up in some strange, never-ending summer exhilaration.

She turned to him then, a mischievous glint in her eye. "Say, if you're too chicken, I'll even hold your hand on the way down. Promise."
 
ΙΟΠ
GRYFFINDOR

speak up.

* Pax Fellwater

    (12/09/2018 at 20:52)
  • *
  • Seventh Year
  • C9D7T5S5
    • View Profile
For some, having an audience might be a mixed bag, torn between the confidence it bestowed and the pressure. Pax was certainly a prideful creature, enough that he would do stupid, dangerous, outlandish things for his reputation, but it didn’t rule him. Not when it came to risking his own life and limb anyway.

Some men might have rallied at the idea of a girl being braver than they, puffed up their chests to stride into some idiotic show bravado. Pax, however, had been raised by brave women and he liked when they did things for him. So when Vanessa showed up, passed him by to stare that great height down like it had insulted her mother, then called him a chicken, Pax’s predominant emotion was relief. She could go first.

He met her flash of teeth with his own, “I don’t think ‘scared’ is the right word, more cautious. But if you go first you can hold my hand and call me whatever you want.”
✯IF I WAS YOU, I'D WANNA BE ME, TOO

Vanessa Naoi

    (12/14/2018 at 03:47)
  • *
  • Fifth Year
  • C5D2T2S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
"Now that sounds like a challenge," a grin graced her face now, the stakes seemingly higher than before. Pride was on the line, and Vanessa wasn't one to back down first.

"I have to say, though," she turned her back to the wind and the staggering drop— a bit more daring, a bit more brave as the seconds ticked by—"how can I be sure you'll hold up your end of the bargain? The hand-holding and name calling really is a tempting reward, you know."

Maintaining eye contact, she leaned down to unlace the straps of her leather sandals, before carelessly tossing the pair off the bridge. Arms spread wide, facing away from the gorge, she tossed the boy a sly smile, eyes bright with excitement and adrenaline.

"Well, Pax," she let the name roll off her tongue, teasing, exultant. "Aren't you going to wish a girl good luck?"
« Last Edit: 12/14/2018 at 03:49 by Vanessa Naoi »
ΙΟΠ
GRYFFINDOR

speak up.

* Pax Fellwater

    (12/21/2018 at 23:47)
  • *
  • Seventh Year
  • C9D7T5S5
    • View Profile
Pax had known Vanessa for years now without ever actually knowing her, but he knew girls, and he knew that voice. That brash, daring flirtation so common among Gryffindor and quidditch women.

It was somewhat shocking coming from this girl he’d known as Nashira’s friend, almost the same way it had been shocking when True had sauntered into a new light. But Pax responded automatically, the way he’d always met that familiar tone. He matched it and tried very hard to best it, pushing the boundaries.

“I’d call it an offer,” Pax said, rolling his head to look at her sideways grinning.

”I have to say, though, how can I be sure you’ll hold up you end of the bargain?” He painted his face wounded, mock-pouting.

“My word isn’t good enough? I haven’t let a girl down yet.” Definitely a lie. “Ask your friends, they’ll tell you.” Quite possibly true. “But if you’re scared you can hold my hand now,” and he winked.

He made to move toward her, and then Vanessa’s voice did that very Grown Up thing where it dropped low on his name, teasing, asking him for luck. Vanessa wasn’t such a little girl anymore. Well the Lioness certainly understood Pride, he decided and his eyes went dark stepping closer, lips spreading wider over white teeth.

“What kind of luck you want, Ness?” he purred.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2018 at 02:13 by Pax Fellwater »
DON'T BE MAD CAUSE

I'm doin' me better than you doin' you

Vanessa Naoi

    (01/05/2019 at 00:33)
  • *
  • Fifth Year
  • C5D2T2S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
“What kind of luck you want, Ness?”

He really was very good, at this strange game they were playing. But Vanessa reminded herself it was just a game, and she wasn't quite sure if she wanted to venture beyond such a line, so she simply smiled and tapped a finger to her chin, as if pondering over his question. She moved closer.

And after a moment of silence, she extended a hand.

"Maybe I don't need any luck, after all."

She took a step back towards the edge.

"On three?"

fin.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2019 at 00:36 by Vanessa Naoi »
ΙΟΠ
GRYFFINDOR

speak up.

Tags: