Camp Loki is currently closed. See you next summer!

Author Topic: Mooder and Muddier || Alex  (Read 113 times)

Rebecca Silvers

(12/06/2018 at 19:56)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D6T10S10
  • ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
Rebecca had taken a wrong turn on her way down to lunch and this was not a good place to take a wrong turn in. Her foot landed in another marshy section of a very large marshy section, which wasn't ideal to begin with, especially given she was wearing her sandals. Muddy water seeped in through every strap and if her feet weren't already brown from it, this last step would have made sure they were nicely stained.

All in all, it didn't put her in a good mood to begin with. Her feet were muddy, her stomach was empty and if she had just decided to go back and around the marshland, she wouldn't be having this problem.

Of course, when she had first realised she'd gone down the wrong path, she had had the bright idea of just continuing forward instead of retracing her steps.

It wasn't like her marvellous mood needed anything else to spoil it. But fate was not on her side at all.

There, probably laughing at her inside, probably here for that very reason, was Alex Thompson. With her frustration at walking across the marshland, Rebecca hadn't noticed the other girl there until she was far too close to just ignore.

"What are you doing here?" Rebecca snarled, in too bad a mood to even try civility, "In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't the lunch hall."

Not that she had any good reason for herself being here. But she had someone to take her anger out on now. Which probably wasn't going to go well for her.

Thanks Marilyn for the title!

Alex Thompson

(12/07/2018 at 15:41)
  • Sixth Year
  • C6D5T5S8
    • View Profile
Rubber boots. She had a long lasting love-hate relationship with rubber boots. On the one hand it reminded her of fun times, walking across the hills being artsy and somehow feeling free, on the other hand it reminded her of trouble at home. This day was one of those days in which that particular fact regarding rubber boots was in her mind; specially because she was wearing them as she walked through the Marshlands while holding a howler in her hand; it had been sent by her mother before Summer camp, which had lead for the snake girl to decide not to return home, again.

Alex had an idea what it might be about so she hadn't really opened it, but she was about to do just that. Once she crossed some muddy areas and felt like she was sufficiently far from anyone to hear, she decided to open the particularly red and rather hot howler and let it rip in her mother's voice

Alexandra Thompson! What have you done?! People are talking!....THINGS on your head? Trouble and detention?! What have you've gotten yourself into?! Unacceptable! I knew we shouldn't have sent you to that... that school! You should've gone to Beauxbatons, like I did! Maybe you would've learned how to be a lady by now. Who'll want to marry you like this?! Don't bother coming home for the summer if you haven't yet FIXED yourself!

The howler tore itself to pieces and disappeared as Alex stared at the now empty space where it had been. She felt.... nothing. There was nothing there except for her repressed anger. In a moment of impulse she took out her wand, pointed at the first bug she could find and shouted "Incendio!", and watched as the little innocent insect burned. A strange satisfying sensation invaded her body, and before she realised it she was casting the same spell over and over again on anything that moved.     

After a few more bug fiery zaps she grew tired, sighed loudly in frustration and took her hands to her face as she closed her eyes. She thought about never returning home, she could run away or something. These thoughts invaded her mind but were suddenly interrupted when she heard a nasty squishy sound coming from... somewhere around her. What was that? She lifted her gaze and opened her eyes to find what the sound was and it was then she heard it, that voice.

"What are you doing here? In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't the lunch hall."

She'd recognise that voice anywhere, this girl was the culprit! Rebecca Silvers was responsible for the trouble she was in. Luckily for her, Alex was in no mood to fight (for the moment) so she sighed and without even bothering to look at the girl, she sarcastically stated: "As usual Silvers, you have a fantastic knack for stating the obvious...."

Alex then turned around to find a mud soaked Hufflepuff in the marsh and the very sight of it made her laugh. It was obvious the girl didn't know how to walk through a marsh and she looked ridiculous, and so in a mocking tone she added "So, how's your daily bath going?? I definitely see how the stinky, bug filled marsh complements you perfectly..."

Rebecca Silvers

(12/08/2018 at 11:53)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D6T10S10
    • View Profile
The girl looked as evil as ever. Pieces of ash were floating around her, which Rebecca refused to believe were there for any reason other than to intimidate. She wouldn't be surprised if the Slytherin was constantly surrounded by a cloud of ash, just for the effect. After all, she had definitely gone with the whole demon look when she had been given those antlers.

She spoke with that usual tone. Sarcastic. Done with everything but most importantly done with her.

"So, how's your daily bath going?? I definitely see how the stinky, bug filled marsh complements you perfectly..."

Rebecca winced at her laughter, prying one muddy foot out of the marsh to land it on some (only very slightly) firmer ground. She wasn't going to hex her, she wasn't going to hex her, she wasn't going to...

But she had looked so good with antlers on!

It was lucky for Alex that Rebecca had left her wand in her room and that wandless magic wasn't exactly her thing. "I'm sorry to be correcting you again," she called back, almost yelling but not quite at that volume. She was glad she had to restrict herself from hexing, because it gave her time to find a better reply than: you're stupid. It wasn't much different from that line of thinking, but Rebecca wasn't good at this.

"But this isn't a bath. I know you probably lack the brain cells to understand what that is - and the experience with them to recognise one - but yeah, no bath here. It's a marsh. Here that? Ma-r-sh. That's not too difficult for you to understand?"

Her face was pulled into one of disgust, the corners of her lips twitching slightly with amusement.

Alex Thompson

(12/08/2018 at 17:53)
  • Sixth Year
  • C6D5T5S8
    • View Profile
Alex couldn't help but roll her eyes at Rebecca's reply, it was obvious sarcasm wasn't really her thing. "Wow, congratulations.. you learned how to pronounce things. I'm glad you're learning things in Hogwarts.

She followed the girl with her eyes as she (rather clumsily according to Alex) managed to walk up to firm land in a patch not far from where she stood, and it was at that moment she revealed her sandals. It was definitely the worse choice of outfit to take a walk through the marsh with, but of course, it was Silvers she was talking to. How could she expect anything from someone like her? The one Hufflepuff she actually didn't like (not like she liked anyone really, but badgers tended to be ok util Silvers showed up).

Alex couldn't help but laughing at the sight of the mud filled sandals and mockingly added "Whoever could excuse that incompetent choice of footwear? I wonder, how it is that someone like you manages to get lost in the... Ma-r-sh" She took a few steps forward while thinking this could be the perfect place to get rid back at the weasel's transgression when she dared hex her. Silvers was responsible for the howler she'd received earlier and this was a perfect opportunity to make things even, she just had to take advantage of the situation.

"But first, some intimidation, maybe?" she thought to herself as she stopped walking, stretched her arm while lifting her wand, aiming directly at the Hufflepuff. "Why do this if I won't have fun?", she continued to think as she tilted her head and grinned right before saying in a firm and eery tone of voice "Incendio". She didn't take her eyes off Rebecca, after all, she wanted to see the look on her face as this whole thing happened. Having Silvers mistakenly think Alex would actually cast that spell and try to burn her down or something was a hilarious idea.   

Instead, Alex was aiming at the insect that was flying right in front of Rebecca's face at the time. Instantly the bug caught on fire and a burned scent invaded the air. "That was one heck of a bug, wasn't it?" She said as she chuckled. No, she wouldn't cast that spell on Silvers... not yet, at least.     

Rebecca Silvers

(12/12/2018 at 22:23)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D6T10S10
    • View Profile
Her sarcasm didn't work. Rebecca couldn't do it and she couldn't do it and she felt the blow from Thompson even before it came. Glad to hear she was learning something at Hogwarts? Rebecca was learning plenty at Hogwarts. "I learn more than pronunciation!" she called back, without thinking about it, then instantly regretting her decision. She was giving Alex all the power. "Like hexes. Although, I'm sure that you're well aware of that already, aren't you? I can do more than just give you antlers, you know? Want me to show you?"

Just plain threats was easier. A Hufflepuff's determination flooded her eyes and she really wished she had her wand on her. Just having it would make her feel so much better here. Instead, she was forced to balance awkwardly on drier land and wait for the onslaught about her choice of footwear come for her.

Rebecca held back the impulse to excuse herself, because she knew that she hadn't planned to enter the marsh and so did Alex and they weren't joking here. It was best not to give her more ammunition and just wait for her to get bored.

But she couldn't help flinching at the step she took towards her. By the time her wand was out, Rebecca was ready to run. If it wasn't for the fact that her get away would be just as painful as any spell, she would have.

And then she cast fire.

Rebecca ducked, slipping on the grass she stood on and finding one foot land in the marsh. It sunk to her ankle, squelching as she did. The rest of her body flung forward and she caught herself before she landed fully in the mud.

A burned scent filled the air, a bug flaming into a ball of smoke above her. The spell hadn't even been at her.

"What are you playing at?" she growled, pulling herself up from her awkward position without any dignity, "That's not funny. That's really not funny. Please don't mess with me."

Alex Thompson

(12/13/2018 at 03:20)
  • Sixth Year
  • C6D5T5S8
    • View Profile
"I learn more than pronunciation! Like hexes. Although, I'm sure that you're well aware of that already, aren't you? I can do more than just give you antlers, you know? Want me to show you?"

"Now we're getting somewhere!" Alex thought to herself as she heard Rebecca's threats. She felt the weasel was finally growing a backbone and showing some character. The snake didn't flinch, the marsh seemed to go on forever so if they did get into some kind of illegal duel nobody would know. She'd played nice that time in the kitchen only because they were on castle grounds so, this time, things would be different.

This time she would be the one with the advantage. The badger seemed uncomfortable, not only because she was having a face-off with her, but because she was unfamiliar with the marshlands. It was obvious she was having a hard time maintaining her balance, and her sandals didn't help at all; if she tried to run she would probably trip and maybe even wind up in one of the more swampy areas. Whereas Alex did know how to find her way around the marsh, maybe not so much in this particular land but she would live, and besides, she was wearing the appropriate attire for the place.

Alex didn't reply to the comment right away, there was no need for it since she already had a plan to scare Silvers and it was already in play. She watched in amusement as Silvers ducked and tried to take cover; the snake had to admit that the badger's reflexes were on point, but the rest of it wasn't. A roaring laugh followed after watching her slip and cover herself in mud, it was truly a magical moment.

Too bad her face wasn't covered in mud as well...

"What are you playing at? That's not funny. That's really not funny. Please don't mess with me."

Still chuckling she said in a condescending tone "Aw.. Are you gonna cry? Where did the threats go?" She lowered her wand and fiercely stared at Rebecca while glaring, "Not so brave now, are we?" All that accumulated rage was starting to flourish in a very dark and manic way, and she was feeling like some kind of wild animal defending its territory.

It was safe to say that it really wasn't Rebecca's fault, this whole ordeal, she was merely at the wrong place at the wrong time, it being the Quidditch pitch, then the Kitchen and now the Marsh. It was her fault, however, to have hexed her and with it creating a sort of butterfly effect that had brought this situation upon her. 

Now, it was her turn to make threats, "Lets make one thing very clear Silvers, you don't mess with me without paying the price. Consider yourself warned." She turned around as if to leave but then stopped on her tracks, turned her face over her shoulder and defiantly said "Unless you want to show me what you've learned..."   
« Last Edit: 12/13/2018 at 03:24 by Alex Thompson »

Rebecca Silvers

(12/28/2018 at 08:47)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D6T10S10
    • View Profile
The laugh that erupted from Alex was mean, spiteful and made Rebecca hate everything about this marsh. She wished for the chance to run back to her cabin, scrub the mud from her and scrub the red from her cheeks. They burned with embarrassment, and the girl knew not to look directly at Alex so she couldn't see them. It was bad enough to have her there, shooting spells and laughing at her misfortune. The more she saw the effects of it, the more she would be coaxed to continue.

As Thompson spoke, Rebecca wondered what she had done to deserve this. The guilt muddied her hands more than the mud she had fallen into and she wondered why she hadn't just let Alex get away with whatever she had done. Yes, Alex deserved what had come to her, but Rebecca should have been the bigger person and left it be. Instead, she was responsible for all of this.

She might have even apologised if the antlers hadn't been so worth it.

The glares almost did make her cry. But she was no child and it was time that they stopped acting like them. Unable to truly comprehend where that evil was seeping from, Rebecca stood her ground, knowing there wasn't much else she could do.

The ground was too uneven to run away - she'd fall and risk more embarrassment, even without including the cowardice of running away. She had no wand to fight back with. They were in the middle of nowhere, no one to come to her rescue. Her only option was to see this through (and if she wasn't feeling particularly mature, let Thompson feel the effects of this later).

And the girl turned. Rebecca hadn't been focusing on what she had been saying, not wanting to hear exactly, more busy trying to plan, trying to figure out some tactics. But the girl had started to turn on her heel and her attention snapped back. Over so quickly?

"I'm warned," she stated simply, trying not to let relief flood to her face. The girl was leaving. She was leaving - except she was still baiting her. "And I'm good. I've done enough practice. Sorry to disappoint."

Please leave, please leave, please leave....

Tags: