Camp Loki is currently closed. See you next summer!

Author Topic: watch it! | Lysander  (Read 71 times)

Lia Ayres

(12/04/2018 at 03:13)
  • Fourth Year
  • C6D3T5S5
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
It was a chilly evening, so the firepits seemed like the place to go unless one wanted to freeze to death doing some outdoor activity or spend the whole evening stuck in the cabins. Lia had done enough of both of those things this summer already, so the firepits it was. She'd filled up a thermos with herbal tea, contenting herself with an evening of people watching or, if she got lucky, hanging out with friends.

A quick glance around provided her with no familiar company, so she opted to settle down on the nearest bench and people watch. It was still fairly early and there was plenty of time for someone she knew to show up. Though maybe this wasn't the place everyone was hanging out at tonight. It seemed weirdly quiet.

Dissatisfied with the small number of people available to be watched, she pulled a notebook and a biro from her bag - stolen from her father's house before she'd left for camp - and started writing out some ideas for potions she wanted to create. Between the lamp and the fire, it was just bright enough to see what she was doing. She unscrewed the lid of her thermos so it would cool down enough to enjoy., holding it in the crook of her arm as she wrote.
do you like the person you've become?

Lysander Stone

(12/04/2018 at 19:05)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C0D2T1S1
  • Player of the Week Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Lysander had no intention of staying in the cabins where Aphrodite was. She was probably at camp right now doing Aphrodite things. She was a sickness, and Lysander did not want to catch anything. This was as far away a place as he could find.

He was practicing with the quaffle-ball he had borrowed from the quidditch shed. Noone would miss it at this time of day, and he could run around as much as he wanted without getting hot. Unfortunately, with noone around, he could only practice by aiming and throwing at stationary targets.

So it went. He threw the ball at trees and at rocks and at fences. The game had been ongoing for some time before he found the perfect target. He aimed and shot at the lamplight far above. It missed by about a foot and sailed further away than he had anticipated. He did not see the girl doing her bookwork until after the ball had left his hand.

"Heads!"

He pushed his legs to carry him as quickly as he could. He was big for his age, and very fast. Catching up with the ball was no problem. Once he had picked up the speed, though, he found it hard to put it down. The ball landed several feet away, as if it had never intended harm.

The boy was not so fortunate, and clipped the thermos that in her arm as he desperately attempted to stop. It tumbled as if magically attracted to the earth. Looking down at the leaking liquid container, Lysander frantically thought of something to say that would make it okay.

"Oops."
The universe falls in love with a stubborn heart.

Lia Ayres

(12/08/2018 at 23:53)
  • Fourth Year
  • C6D3T5S5
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
"Heads!"

She glanced up from her notebook, trying to see where the voice was coming from. What did that even mean anyway? Was someone playing an awful game of head or tails or something? Who did that at camp?

But her answer came a moment later, when a boy whizzed by her at rocket speed, catching her thermos and dumping the majority of her tea onto the ground. She stared down at her thermos and her tea seeping into the ground, before rounding on the boy who'd caused this whole thing.

"What the hell were you doing?" she demanded to know.  "This is the dumbest place to be running around, and now you've wasted my entire thermos of tea!" She knew she could make more and it wasn't that big a deal. But she was really annoyed by the whole thing, for whatever reason. "Go play somewhere else, would you?"

Lysander Stone

(12/09/2018 at 20:02)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C0D2T1S1
    • View Profile
Boy, she was mad.

Mad-mad. Not the kind of mad that one gets when you step on a sharp rock or you gotta clean your room. This girl was absolutely mad. She was yelling. She was saying bad words. She was red in places. It was surprising that her eyes had not turned red.

"What the hell were you doing?"

There was no response that would make her not-mad. No bandaid for this injury. He stared at her without any form of defense from her onslaught.

"This is the dumbest place to be running around, and now you've wasted my entire thermos of tea!"

More staring. There was no precedent for this situation. When boys were mad you could just tell them to shove off. With this girl being mad, Lysander could only look on in shocked terror.

"Go play somewhere else, would you?"

He felt tears welling in the corner of his eyes. It seemed they held themselves back. Lysander certainly did not have the strength to hold anything at this time. He bit his lip to stop the shaking.

"Ididn'tmeanto - itwasanaccident - hereletmegetit."

He stumbled over himself to respond all at once and to excuse himself. He wished he could disappear through magic the way grown-ups did. He could get out of this situation so easily.

Unfortunately he was left with the consequences of his actions. He had to mend what he had broken. With trembling hand he took the leaking thermos from the ground and extended it to the mystery rage-girl.
If you have control, you're not going fast enough.

Lia Ayres

(12/10/2018 at 04:38)
  • Fourth Year
  • C6D3T5S5
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
There was no use getting mad over spilt tea, and yet that was exactly what Lia was doing. She generally didn't have much of a temper over such small things, but she never did well when she was surprised or scared or upset and she was very much the first of those now. One would think that a year of Games & Sports class, she would do better with random projectiles flying at her, but apparently, she had gotten absolutely nothing from that class.

Yelling at the poor kid was probably a bit much for a bit of spilt tea. But it happened anyway.

"How did you get to this age and still not be able to throw a ball? Maybe you should stick to stuffed toys and soft things until you can get it together!" she continued, ranting through her anger. "Grow up!"

The kids just stared at her. She didn't know what to make of that. And then a stumbled set of words tumbled out of him. "Ididn'tmeanto - itwasanaccident - hereletmegetit." He picked up her thermos off the ground and handed it to her with trembling hands.

Aw hell. The kid looked about in tears and she could feel her anger dissipating quickly. It was hard to be mad at a kid when he looked like he was going to starting crying at any second.

"Sorry," she said, feeling more and lousier by the moment. She'd way overreacted. And this wasn't like the situation with Calvin, so she didn't like the thought of just leaving it like this and stomping away like she'd planned to a moment ago. "I shouldn't have yelled. It scared me and I overreacted."

She really hoped the kid wouldn't cry. That would not be good. "Are you okay? You didn't get hit with any of it, did you?"

Lysander Stone

(12/18/2018 at 18:09)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C0D2T1S1
    • View Profile
"How did you get to this age and still not be able to throw a ball? Maybe you should stick to stuffed toys and soft things until you can get it together!"

Balls were meant for kicking, not for throwing. Warlocks and witches did it all wrong. Lysander was doing his best to do it wrong as well, but he had stuffed it all up.

"Grow up!"

If he felt any smaller, he might fall between the cracks in the path. It would not be a bad alternative to being here before this girl. The thermos was still in his hands, a tiny dent permanently fixed into its casing by Lysander's actions.

"Sorry," she said, and he felt worse at once. What did she have to feel sorry for? Lysander had been the one who messed up. He took deep breaths to hold the waves of emotions at bay.

"I shouldn't have yelled. It scared me and I overreacted."

"I'm awful sorry. Really. I didn't mean to. Didn't even know you were there."

Poor excuses for poor behavior, as his mother would say.

"You didn't do nothin' wrong at all. You was right to yell."

He spoke softly. Yet he was not speaking to the girl, but rather to his feet. To speak to the girl would be inviting danger.

"Are you okay? You didn't get hit with any of it, did you?"

"No, ma'am. I'm sorry for your drink. I didn't get none on me. I'm sorry for your tin. It's all dented now."
Half-heartedness doesn’t reach into majesty

Lia Ayres

(12/23/2018 at 22:57)
  • Fourth Year
  • C6D3T5S5
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
She really shouldn't have yelled at that kid. It was an accident, everyone was fine, tea was easily remade and she wasn't overly attached to the thermos that had taken the worst of the damage. It really wasn't a big deal and she had way overreacted. And now she'd scared some kid. Great.

"It was an accident," she said, taking a couple of deep breaths to bring the adrenaline in her body back to a normal level. "Unless you're throwing things at me on purpose? But I shouldn't have yelled."

He seemed alright and said he was as well. She wasn't sure that he would tell her if he'd been injured at all given how she'd reacted already though. She waved off his apology about her tin.

"It might be able to be fixed and if not, it's just a thermos. I have more." One didn't drink as much tea as Lia and not have extra ways of carrying it around.

"You don't happen to play quidditch, do you?" she asked, curiously, as the idea popped into her head. "Because with a hit like that, you'd probably make a good beater."

Lysander Stone

(12/31/2018 at 05:17)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C0D2T1S1
    • View Profile
She was calm now, and he felt himself becoming calm as well. The echoes of his fluster were still bouncing about in his mind and threatening to reform into something solid. He held onto the sound of the girl's voice but still did not dare look at her.

"You don't happen to play quidditch, do you?"

He did not. He was still struggling to get a broom in the air. Brooms were poor listeners and he was a poor order-giver. Though he wanted very much to play, he had told himself that he should know what he was doing first.

"Because with a hit like that, you'd probably make a good beater."

His heart soared. The last few minutes were forgotten; there was only now.

"You think so? A beater hits the heavy ball, right? You think so, really?"
The universe falls in love with a stubborn heart.

Tags: