Don't forget to sign up for a cabin!

Author Topic: long way to happy || calrina snaps  (Read 277 times)

* Marina Lamont

(08/23/2018 at 14:08)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
  • ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week
    • View Profile
July 26th
After this

Marina needed to be alone. She needed to be away from Cal, too. At least that's what she told herself. Her feet had other ideas, leading her to the privacy of his room instead of hers.

With all her cuts and bruises and missing curls, her deepest wound was external, cradled against her chest by hands that couldn't bear to pull it away, for chance she might, once again, catch a glimpse of the damage. Holding it tightly still, she curled into the sheets of his unmade bed, staining the white sheets with crimson that poured shyly from the scratches and gashes on her lip, arms, knees, and somewhere near her collarbone.

The moment her head hit the pillow, Marina burst into loud, choking sobs -- the sort that threatened to choke her. But this time, she managed to keep on breathing, crying, crying until the strain of her tears tired her out and lulled her to sleep.
« Last Edit: 08/23/2018 at 14:10 by Marina Lamont »
HELP I'M ALIVE
(my heart keeps beating like a hammer)

Calvin Sharppe

(08/23/2018 at 14:53)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
  • Player of the Summer ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
He'd actually fallen asleep longer than expected on Daydream Island. That hammock stationed a few hundred yards from the waters practically had his name etched on it, he spent so many nights there. So to get back to the comfort of his own bed, he had to cross the entire camp and then some. It was late, probably too late even for a counselor. That was why when he turned the knob into the entrance of his cabin, he did so with the utmost silence in fear of waking Rina up.

Not unusually, he found her cradled in a ball, her small stature made even smaller by the way she curled up. He blinked to adjust his eyes to the dark of the room and saw the eagle clutching an object like a child would a teddy bear. He leaned in, touching the object to find that it was her wand, firmly snapped in half with its splintered ends distorted and jutting out like a stake. Dried tears streaked on the sides of her cheek with cuts and bruises that rivaled that of his fight with Jere.

Features contorted in confusion as he'd never seen his girlfriend injured in such a degree. Immediate thoughts went to Alricsson, for who else would wreck havoc upon Rina than her most noteworthy bully. Calvin got up from his crouched position and became fumbling through the drawers of his desk, getting out the bandages and salves that he usually kept for First Years or to mend simple scrapes on his own now that he couldn't rely on the infirmary staff. The clatter of going through his drawers were loud but his mind ran at a million miles an hour, attempting to rationalize his anger and confusion into something productive.
RECKLESS

maybe i might get a little

* Marina Lamont

(08/23/2018 at 15:50)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
Her dream took her somewhere new, but whether it was someplace better was questionable. In it, she watched as Calvin gallivanted about with a new girlfriend, one whom he'd acquired while forgetting to break up with Rina. Not that it mattered much, because when she saw them, together, happy, she knew that was something she could never give him again, so she walked away and let them be.

When her gaze ripped away from the happy couple in that world, her eyes fluttered open in this one, roused by the sound of rattling wood and the clatter of objects. The deep pit dug by her dream faded momentarily as Calvin's blurred silhouette drew itself a few feet away, hunched before his nightstand. Very much alone. Very much hers.

But the pit returned when she felt the stab of a splinter pressed against her chest, and she remembered what it was she held so tightly in her embrace. She felt the dull ache in her head left behind by the bruising rampage of too many tears. Stirring in the sheets, Marina lifted her head just high enough to get a glimpse of the contents of his drawer. In the darkness, and in the dull haze that marred her eyes, she couldn't see a thing.

Weakly, in a voice made raspy by sobs and by sleep, Marina asked, "Do you have any spellotape?"
HELP I'M ALIVE

Calvin Sharppe

(08/23/2018 at 17:04)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
"Do you have any spellotape?"

The sudden sound of Rina's voice, croaky and guttural, turned Calvin's head. He set the roll of gauze back on the desk and sat himself on the side of the bed by Rina's feet. His gaze was hard, searching for answers inside Rina's eyes but found they were simply vessels of sadness carried in the form of dark brown eyes.

"No," he responded sadly, and took hold of her hand. She was warm from sleep; Calvin was the one who usually ran hot. "Who did this to you?" His tone was of one who already had an answer in mind but just needed someone to affirm his suspicions.
RECKLESS

* Marina Lamont

(08/23/2018 at 20:11)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
No spellotape... Her heart sank lower as Marina pushed herself into a sitting position. The movement was painful, sore muscles and aching bruises reminding her of every hit thrown and every punch received. Her heart beat off-beat somehow, as if weighed down by an anchor that wanted to keep her tethered to the safety of the sheets. Even if it meant she'd return to her lousy dream, sleep seemed much less difficult than reality.

Calvin took one hand and the other moved to catch the piece of wand it had been oressing against her front, but fumbled and let the piece of oak drop. Lacking the energy to reach out for it, Marina simply watched it fall to the ground with a clatter while the other continued to cling to the handle, and the brilliant red feather sticking out of it, bent and crooked.

As she took in a deep breath to ready an answer, Rina found it was too difficult to look at him. Whether it was resentment that lingered after her dream, or resentment born from the knowledge that if he'd never let his affections stray, then none of this would have happened in the first place, there was simply too much of it for her to bear the sight of him.

"Bramston."
I set my sail

Fly
the wind it will take me
Back to my home, sweet home

Calvin Sharppe

(08/23/2018 at 20:44)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
The clatter of wood hitting wood was harsh and loud compared to the dead of night quiet. He flinched slightly at the sight of Rina's broken wand, the phoenix feather managing to still shine brightly despite the dimness and despite the tattered circumstances in which it was displayed. His wand also had the core of the phoenix feather and Calvin couldn't help but have his chest tighten at the thought of his own wand snapping in two.

"Bramston."

"Wh-" Disbelief at the answer, Calvin looked incredulously before the hardened look on his face reappeared. 'She'll get kicked out of camp for this-' Calvin would have said, to any other person. 'I'll kill 'em' he would have said, had it been any other person. 'I don't believe it' he thought to himself silently, though realizing that Cecelia had basically spent every waking moment of camp with Jeremiah Smallweed, figured that more of the slimy boy's tactics and maneuvers had transferred over.

If he hadn't been avoiding her like the plague, could he have prevented this?

Delicately, Calvin took the piece of wood from the floor and tried to fix it back into place with the end. Marina might as well have been holding a tree branch for how limp and lifeless the thing was. Not even a spark or a glimmer of magic left in the thing. He then moved onto Rina's face, grazing a hand against her cheek which was red and battered. He bit his lip and shook his head, disappointed in Cece's actions. Whatever had happened, there was no way he could forgive Bramston for what she did.

"I'll buy you another wand. It'll be bigger and better than.. than this."
RECKLESS

* Marina Lamont

(08/23/2018 at 21:04)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
Marina tried to muster the willpower to lift her eyes to him, to lock her eyes upon him long enough to gauge his reaction, to watch as he realized what a horrible person his precious Cece truly was. A part of her -- the same part of her that had thrown the first punch -- wanted to revel in that satisfaction. But that was too small a part, with not a single unbroken leg left to stand on. Her meeker self won out instead, her eyes remaining on the fallen piece of her wand while Calvin processed everything he had to process.

Eventually, he went to retrieve it, and Marina's brown eyes trailed after the piece of oak as he futilely tried to put it back in its proper place, further ruffling the phoenix feather as he did.

(As if she hadn't tried that a million times before.)

"I don't want another one." She insisted. "It just needs a bit of spellotape." The impossible nature of her words and false hopes brought tears spilling from her eyes once again. Instinctively, forgetting her resentment in the flood, she leaned toward him in search of the comfort he kept hidden in the crook of his neck and the warmth of his arms.
I set my sail

Fly
the wind it will take me

Calvin Sharppe

(08/23/2018 at 21:41)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
Had it been anyone else, he would have shaken them, told them to get a grip and that the dead stick in her hands would be nothing but a hindrance. If anyone was going to have a chance of defending themselves against the likes of the snakes (and other platypuses) around camp, it was with a working wand. His right hand curled tightly around the meat of his thigh, withholding his own expression of anger and aggression onto Rina.

"Um. Right. 'Course." He did his best to sound comforting but probably fell short in his required enthusiasm. But at least he could be a human pillow to her. Arms wrapped around the crook of Rina's neck, Calvin finally getting into bed. He gave his arms to be cuddled, and he gave pecks of affection towards Rina's wounds. Calvin smothered himself in her hair and the scent of lingering tears as his mind wandered off elsewhere.

He thought of where the Cecelia Bramston who had been caring, fun, and feisty went and when exactly she had been replaced with a girl who broke other people's wands, abandoned her duty of care, and gallivanted off with boys who couldn't give a damn whether she was doing right or wrong. He felt an odd guilt over the events that seemed to unravel before him, even if he had taken no part. Calvin gave a sigh, for the physical tiredness he felt was now incompatible with the emotional restlessness his brain had decided to conjure up for him.

It would be a long while before he fell asleep.
I BREATHE YOU IN WITHOUT F A I L
     and then I think t w i c e before I exhale.

* Marina Lamont

(08/23/2018 at 22:49)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
When the tears dried out and Marina fell back to sleep in the cradle of Calvin's arms, it was more soundly this time. Her dreams, though she would not remember these ones come morning, were free of new girlfriends and forgone breakups. Her fingers would eventually relax enough to free the bottom half of her wand slip from their grasp, letting it fall onto the bed where it bled bright crimson against the stark white of the sheets.

The next morning
Shortly after breakfast
At a table near the entrance of the Sydney Town Hall

Finally she had spellotape.

With her tongue peeking through her teeth, Marina approached her task with the meticulous precision of a neurosurgeon. Calvin had managed to dig out the spellotape from a closet full of supplies, and she was more than eager to put it to good use. She placed the first bit of it sticky side up on the table, then carefully lowered the wand, its two pieces stuck together like puzzle pieces, with a few splinters missing and the bristles of crimson feathers sticking out from between the cracks. Careful not to move it too brusquely, the piece of the fracture that ran the straightest - the part of it which had made direct contact with Cecelia's knee - landed upon the spellotape.

"Wrap it around for me, would ya?" She asked Cal, nodding vaguely toward the primed piece of spellotape. Her own fingers were busy keeping the wand pinned down, frightened that even the slightest twitch could crush whatever hope of survival it had left.
HELP I'M ALIVE

Calvin Sharppe

(08/24/2018 at 01:08)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
It would be futile, but no one could ever say that Calvin wasn't a supportive boyfriend in Marina's endeavors. He'd found some spellotape in one of the spare counselor closets in the large Kangaroo cabin and offered it up first thing in the morning. Sitting on the edge of the long dining table, Cal scratched his head with a grimaced look of observation on his face in the moments Marina wasn't looking at him, when her face wasn't so close to her broken wand, piecing each wood fragment together like she was constructing an intricate sculpture.

There were blatant and apparent gaps of where little chips of wood had fallen off and would never be fully repaired again. Calvin, who was used to only using the most updated version of equipment, who never got anything second hand, cringed at the way Rina was attempting to salvage what was left of her wand. He wanted so desperately to toss the lifeless stick into the bin.

"Wrap it around for me, would ya?"

At the suggestion of finally helping out Calvin lifted his head up, chin jutted out, and nodded. He took a piece of the tape and began to roll the material around the thin strip of wood, attempting to stick as close to the wood without creating air bubbles. "Like that?" Calvin asked, in a tone of genuine concern despite his already fixated opinion that it didn't matter if they rolled on the spellotape delicately or wrapped it around like a mummy. That wand was as dead as a doorknob.
RECKLESS

* Marina Lamont

(08/24/2018 at 01:46)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
"Yeah." She confirmed, eyes watching his handiwork under eyebrows furrowed with worry.

Deep down, Marina knew this endeavour would most likely prove fruitless. Still, she had to try. This wasn't just some silly toy, or an old worn out textbook. This was her wand. After six whole years, it had become an extension of her self and the source of everything magical about her. Before she'd had Cal to calm her nerves or Dorian to share her anxieties, she'd had this wand of oak and phoenix feather to carry her through the worst of times. Anyone who bothered to look beyond the missing splinters would see the damage done not by Cecelia, but by Marina herself, where her nails had dug below the polish to mark the wood. These scratches were, in a way, the imprint of her time at Hogwarts.

This wand was irreplaceable.

When he was done, she set the wand carefully down on the table and ripped off a few more strands of spellotape, wrapping each one with the same meticulous care Calvin had so graciously supplied. And when she was done, too, she lifted the wand and gave it a quick flick -- a gesture that should have easily conjured a shower of brightly coloured sparks from its tip.

But it didn't.

Despite her expectations, frustration hit Marina like a ton of bricks. Her face scrunched up into a scowl and she chucked the wand away as far as she could. Thankfully, it flew over everyone's heads instead of hitting anyone before hitting the ground with a clatter. "Stupid bloody thing."

But as soon as the wand left her hand and as soon as the words had been spoken, Marina regretted it all at once. "Sorry…" She mumbled, dropping her eyes as she shamefully as she started to scramble to her feet.
I set my sail

Fly
the wind it will take me

Calvin Sharppe

(08/24/2018 at 03:09)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
With a firm grip, Calvin pressed the tape onto the wood of the wand hard, until his skin turned from his natural light pink hue to a white. Only then, when he was satisfied that he had put in the right amount of effort did he release it back to Rina. He watched as she wrapped the wand in a few more layers, perhaps more of the sticky repairing properties would rub off, before testing it out with a firm flick.

Defeated eyes followed Rina's hand, and a subsequent sigh followed as nothing, not even a spark, came out. His hands, which had been limply resting on his side, reached out impulsively as Rina hurled the thing across the room, the clatter shaking the mostly empty dining hall. A few heads turned, some 'Oh dears' and other exclamations of surprise. His own face twisted up in surprise before the remorse fell back onto the Ravenclaw's face.

"Sorry…"

Seeing the direction she headed towards, Calvin kicked his legs from under the table and in a quick dash, ran over and scooped up the wand into his own more level-headed hands. He thought about handing it back over, letting Rina continue to push out her aggression and frustration until it wore out. Instead, where he found himself was facing her, hiding the broken wand behind his hand and with his other, placed gently on her shoulder. "Why don't you use my wand for the time being?" he offered, though he wasn't sure if such a offer would even work. Maybe it would only work to make Rina more upset.

He backtracked.

"O-or you can try again." His hand however, didn't move from its position.
RECKLESS

* Marina Lamont

(08/24/2018 at 19:47)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
Her cheeks burned bright with embarrassment and more anger than she cared to keep bottled up inside. She'd kept quite enough of it, tucked away in the recesses of her mind, where it had grown and fermented, accumulating and becoming steadily more toxic with every day she left it unchecked. Every now and then, it would bubble over, and whether it came in the form of throwing a punch or throwing a wand, it rarely wrought anything good.

Though her feet slipped out from beneath the table and over the bench in a timely manner, Calvin was quicker, almost as if he'd been expecting things to go wrong. As if he'd been ready for her to lash out. Marina wondered whether this was actually the case or if she was just reading into innocuous things, but for now, she preferred to think it was the former. She knew how she'd been acting, with her mood as changing as the weather. She knew he must be constantly on the lookout for signs of her coming storms.

When he returned with her wand behind his back, the image of eternal undying patience despite being Calvin Sharppe, Marina was grateful for him. However, this gratitude did little to templer her frayed nerves. Automatically, her hand dug into her pocket, reaching for the familiar feel of wood though she knew wouldn't be there. Instead she felt empty air.

Empty air that no other wand could properly fill.

Empty air her own wand might never touch again.

"No, trying again won't work, this is bloody stupid." Whatever new damage it had acquired when she'd chucked it across the room could attest to that.

She hesitate to accept the earlier offer, however. She wanted to say she could manage without it. But what if Alricsson decided he wanted to have more fun at her expense today? Or what if Cecelia had had a taste of victory and wanted to go another round? Marina had proven an easy prey, and if she was unarmed and defenseless, then that only made it easier for them to pick her apart like vultures to carrion.

"You sure you won't need it?"
I've got to be free

Free to face the life that's ahead of me

Calvin Sharppe

(08/27/2018 at 18:24)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
Eyes looked uneasily from the wand to Rina’s face to Rina’s empty hands, back to the wand with the white divider of the tape. He gently placed it on the table, for holding the broken tattered thing made Calvin uncomfortable, as if being near it would put his own wand in danger. Nonsensical, really. But then again, nothing that the two of them did made much sense any more. Rina had wanted to continue using the broken wand despite knowing it would never work again. And here two of them were, continuing their relationship despite the strains and cracks that were also apparent.

"You sure you won't need it?"

‘Of course I’d need it’ he thought selfishly. He did everything with his wand. From the moment he learned how to clean without using his hands Calvin relied on his wand to keep his room in a somewhat sorted order. He used his wand for little things like flipping the pages of the textbooks he read to bigger things like charming his blankets larger to share with Rina on cold summer evenings.

But that wasn’t the point.

“You can have it for the time being- until you get a new one. Won't be too long.” he assured with a strained smile. His lips curled up in an exaggerated fashion but the genuine intention of wanting to make Rina happy was there. It was hard, being… selfless. Calvin would have rather given her a bag of Galleons and accompanied her to Diagon Alley at this very moment to purchase a new wand. But that wasn’t the right way to do things. He extended his hand which held his wand while the other lay squarely behind his back, a fist wound tightly.
It's a beautiful day and

I CAN'T STOP
myself from smiling

* Marina Lamont

(08/27/2018 at 21:13)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
Marina could tell that Cal wasn't all too happy about having to share his wand, but then again, neither was she. She could have reminded him (once more) that none of this would have happened if he'd just exercised a little bit of self-control. That the bruises she wore both outside and in came from Cecelia's hand, but that, when it came right down to it, there was more than enough blame to lay on Calvin's shoulders, too.

But just this once, Marina bit her tongue. He had, after all, offered his wand. For that, she owed him enough gratitude to ignore his reticence and simply accept it, lifting it from his hand to put it in her back pocket.

"Thanks Cal."

It was a bit heavier than hers had been, and a bit fatter where it pressed against her buttock, but it was undeniably better than the broken thing she retrieved from the table to place more carefully in her other back pocket.

Team Wombat Picnic

Marina couldn't take it anymore. Her mood had soured as soon as she'd spotted Cecelia Bramston, and if Calvin's spectacular entrance had lifted it momentarily, his wayward glance sent it tumbling down to new lows about a heartbeat later. She tried to distract herself with different company, but somehow the subject had turned to wands, and that certainly didn't help matters. Soon enough, almost everyone had vacated her blanket and Marina was pretty sure they were fleeing the raincloud that perpetually loomed atop her head.

Calvin, meanwhile, was jovially helping out a little first year girl. While she couldn't be mad at him about that, the anger wrought by the look still lingered, and was plenty enough to prompt her decision to leave. Making sure her sandwiches and salads were still properly balanced atop her plate, Marina scooped it up with both hands and made a beeline toward the path that lead back to the Platypus cabins. She made a point, though, to angle that beeline so that it took her storming right past where Calvin sat.
HELP I'M ALIVE

Calvin Sharppe

(08/27/2018 at 21:53)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
He was stuffing his face full of whatever it was that was spread out on the picnic blanket. Bread and fruit, meats and cheese, some scoopfuls of pasta on the side of his plate. He was being a dutiful counselor, helping out the smaller kids who wanted food when the rather brusque departure of Marina Lamont made him pause mid-chew.

The look was not good. He scrambled to keep everything on his plate, the silver fork which had already been dangling precariously on the side, fell into the grass somewhere. He stomped on the edge of the picnic table cloth and then another heavy step flattening the tall green grasses after her. Once more, it seemed, their drama on display for all to see.

"RI-!" His mouth was full of carbohydrates and muffled the cry to his girlfriend. He hastened the pace of his steps to keep up with the petite brunette, dropping a few leaves of lettuce and chopped radish slices along the way. For the ants. He swallowed what was in his mouth and worked his way to block Rina's path from going further. They were farther away from the crowds now, having maybe an ounce of privacy to themselves. "What did I do this time?" His tone was tired and edged on exasperation.
RECKLESS

* Marina Lamont

(08/27/2018 at 22:10)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
Marina didn't want to make a scene. She really didn't. That was, after all, the whole point of leaving before everyone caught on to why her mood was so dour, or before her beef with Cal began rubbing off on some other relationships.

(Oh, Merlin, she'd almost snapped at Mia just for accepting Cecelia's thanks. What sort of monster was she turning into?)

It didn't surprise her to hear Calvin's loud steps trotting after her. That was, after all, the whole point of her detour around his blanket. She didn't slow down, however, continuing on her path until he caught up with her and properly cut her off. This served two purposes: one, to ignore him and thereby make sure he understood she was cross with him, and, two, to get as far from prying eyes as possible. The last thing she needed was more rumours spreading around.

"What did I do this time?"

Marina hadn't been expecting this tone, nor did she think she deserved it. But if he was looking for her to remind him, yet again, what he'd done wrong, she was more than ready to remind him.

"I was talking to you, Cal, I was making a joke, but you were looking at her."

(It hadn't felt all that great that Cecelia Bramston had somehow made Marina invisible -- this time without even trying.)
HELP I'M ALIVE

Calvin Sharppe

(08/28/2018 at 15:05)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
The fact that he didn't even remember a joke meant he was in really big trouble.

Calvin couldn't help where his eyes wandered, and it wasn't for lack of trying. He'd been avoiding the gaze of rather large chunk of camp and he had thought that the picnic would have been a good place to unwind and let his inhibitions roam free a bit.

How wrong he was.

Uncomfortably shifting the weight of the food on his plate, his appetite waning slightly, Calvin attempted to defuse the situation. Not everything had to be made out to be such a big deal.

"It wasn't even a good look-" Calvin started, remembering how if Cece wasn't clinging onto Jeremiah, she was pointedly fixated on another boy. Gilbert? Almost as if she was flaunting how much happier she was with his absence. "-it was a oh-what-a-slag kind of.. look."
RECKLESS

* Marina Lamont

(08/28/2018 at 15:26)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C12D7T14S8
    • View Profile
Of course, hearing herself saying it out loud, Marina realised how ridiculous she sounded. But even so, her insides were twisted into knots and her ears rang with the words of all those people who'd been so eager to point out that this had all happened because Cecelia Bramston was so much more enticing than Marina Lamont.

"-it was a oh-what-a-slag kind of.. look."

She knew it hadn't been that kind of look because she also knew that, no matter what, he'd never see Cece, or anyone else he'd once called a friend, in that way. She wasn't sure what kind of look it had been exactly, but she was fairly worried it might have been one of jealousy.

"Stop lying, Cal!" Rina hissed. She knew he was doing it because the truth wouldn't make her any happier, but this wasn't any better. If he was lying about the type of look he gave Cecelia, what else might he be lying about? She took a deep breath. "Go back and have fun with your friends if you want. I need to be alone."

She took a step forward, expecting him to move out of her way.
HELP I'M ALIVE

Calvin Sharppe

(08/28/2018 at 15:45)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C14D11T8S12
    • View Profile
"I'm not lying!" He said, his voice slightly harsher this time. Calvin wished that he could say he didn't give a damn about Cecelia Bramston and the many frivolous men she decided to spend her time with. But the shame of it was that he did indeed care. He cared and judged. And that judgement of who she chose to keep her company with was what the look was. He thought that Marina would have at least agreed with him on that part. He couldn't believe that even where he thought they stood on common ground there was space for disagreement.

"Go back and have fun with your friends if you want. I need to be alone."

She walked up and he continued blocking her with his presence. His plate shook and a piece of bread fell into the grass. "I can't." He declared, angry that a perfectly decent afternoon was ruined and his mood turned sour like milk.

Faced with a choice to go back and try to put on a happy face with the rest of Camp Loki (while Cece was still there along with Jeremiah and Orion and probably a lot of other people who hated him) meant Rina would only get more upset with him for abandoning her. Leaving her alone to simmer in her own hate and anger at him was also a strike against him. "I leave you alone and you'll get angry. I don't and you're still angry. I can't win with you."

Not that it was supposed to be a race or competition to win. They were supposed to be a team and yet it felt like he was being pitted against her in a dueling ring.
RECKLESS

Tags: