Participate in our 20th birthday challenge!

Author Topic: Crocodiles and Cassowaries and Bandicoots, Oh My! | Team Platypus Event  (Read 481 times)

Cecelia Bramston

(08/16/2018 at 02:08)
  • Junior Healer - Emergency & Triage / Bartender at The Snake Pit
  • C10D4T8S8
    • View Profile
oppressively hot and sunny
early afternoon
Tuesday, August 3, 1954

It was lucky, Cecelia thought to herself, that the path through the rainforest was so clearly marked (thanks to Marina's dutiful efforts earlier that day.) The Slytherin girl could navigate city streets and back alleys without a second thought, but the idea of ambling through the forest for fun was entirely foreign to her. Apparently, this was a thing, though, so here they were.

The path Marina had marked lead through towering trees strung with vines that begged to be swung on and drooping leaves shining with dew that never seemed to evaporate. A few portions of it crossed water -- jewel bright ponds and small streams that were easily leaped or carefully traversed using strategically placed stones or logs as bridges. Lizards, birds, and small mammals abounded, most of which were best left untouched. One memorable segment required crossing a rope bridge, sturdy yet prone to swinging back and forth no matter how carefully a hiker walked on its creaking boards.

The breathtaking beauty of the forest made even a casual walk feel intrepid.

A flier on the bulletin board in Sydney Town Hall was all that Cece, Jere, and Marina had done to advertise their team event. Surely Marina had longed for something grander -- an elaborate game or event with a theme and week’s worth of work to prepare it -- but the fact that the Ravenclaw had made a profession out of avoiding her Platypus co-counselors meant that Simple and Easy were the only themes that day.

“Alright everyone,” Cecelia turned around to face those who had arrived with a smile, “Welcome to the Team Platypus bushwalk. The trail behind me leads through the Daintree Rainforest and at the end we have a picnic on the beach waiting for us.”

She hoped that Jeremiah had remembered to ask the house-elves to lay out the picnic earlier that day.

“Go ahead and take the trail at your own pace. There are a few areas where the path branches off in different directions so we’ve marked the correct direction with a little blue flag. I don’t fancy tracking any of you down so please mind the markers.”

Stepping aside Cecelia added casually, “Oh, and watch out for snakes.”

Hello and welcome to the Team Platypus event! This laid-back bushwalk through the Daintree Rainforest will end on the beach with a well-deserved picnic lunch.

Your character can set their own pace, stick with friends or the counselors, or venture off on their own if they're feeling bold. The Rainforest is bound to have some local wildlife inhabiting it -- 21 of the 25 most venomous snakes live in Australia (not including Jeremiah and Cecelia) -- so shortcuts off the trail or in the canopy are taken at your own risk. Please bold your actions for clarity, otherwise - enjoy!

And don't hesitate to pm any Team Platypus counselors with questions.

« Last Edit: 08/16/2018 at 02:28 by Cecelia Bramston »
got hands like an ocean
push you out pull you back in

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/16/2018 at 09:11)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"We should've done it in the morning."

This was directed at both Cecelia and Marina, as he wiped sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand and scowled at the beating sun overhead.

If he could have had it his way, there would have been no walk at all, for even this -- no ball, no carefully-planned party -- was a whole lot more effort than he had been planning to provide. He'd considered not turning up at all and just leaving the two girls to it, but Cece must have suspected that he'd try to pull something like that, because she'd come to get him rather than leaving him to make his way to the rainforest alone.

The campers began to move, slowly but surely, some of them looking at least as lethargic as he felt. Jere wondered why they'd bothered to turn up at all; they weren't being forced into participating by their fellow counsellors.

"C'mon, then." He was mostly addressing Cece, but his gaze flickered to Marina at the last second to show that she, too, was included in the invitation. "The sooner we get this over with, the better." He turned and began to head along the path.

To nobody in particular, he added, "How many people d'ya think are gonna get lost or bitten before the end? I'm bettin' six."
« Last Edit: 08/16/2018 at 09:12 by Jeremiah Smallweed »
I promise tonight not to do no harm
I promise you, babe , I won't do you no harm
and we’re caught up in the crossfire
of heaven and hell

Gilroy Locke

(08/16/2018 at 14:42)
  • Slytherin '56
  • C9D5T8S6
    • View Profile
Gil felt more miserable than he looked, since the oppressive heat wasn't doing him any favors. Not even after spending most of the morning in the waters of Alexandrina up until it was time to gather for this death march disguised as a bushwalk. Because in his eyes, that is what it would end up being.

He had tried to dress in a way that would keep him as cool as possible, but Gil wasn't holding his breath on staying that way. All possible paths in his mind ended with him being hot, sweaty and wrung out by the time they reached their prize - a beach picnic, or so Cece claimed. In addition to dressing lightly, the teen packed a decent amount of water and other provisions in a brown backpack that he had slung over his shoulder, in hopes that it would at least mitigate some of the expected misery.

“Oh, and watch out for snakes.”

At this point of the explanation, Gil laughed quietly to himself, and wondered which snakes she was referring to. The ones that inhabited the forest, or the ones that had been gathered in the group. Once they all had gotten moving, Gil took to the path at a slow and steady pace and kept towards the middle of the pack for now.

"How many people d'ya think are gonna get lost or bitten before the end? I'm bettin' six."

"Bitten by what? Snakes or bugs?" If it was snakes, then he'd take the bet. Bugs, then that was almost a given. They'd probably all be eaten alive by the time the goal was in sight. Well, at least those that hadn't had the foresight to bring some kind of repellent.

at your worst, you're still the best
but at my best, i am the worst

* Marina Lamont

(08/16/2018 at 15:21)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C13D8T14S8
  • ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Smallweed was right. Again. Knowing this, Marina nonetheless responded with no more than a shrug, resisting the urge to wipe the sweat from her brow. Though she didn't harbour the same revulsion for Jeremiah as she had at the start of last term, she still wasn't eager to associate herself with him, especially now that he and Cecelia seemed to be… reunited. Still, if Jeremiah was that blonde witch's fallback now that Calvin was completely off limit, Marina would keep her mouth shut on that front -- and only on that front, because when it came to literally anything else, Cecelia Bramston deserved every ounce of ire Marina had to offer.

Even the girl's polite invitation for the campers to follow the trail Marina had diligently marked for them that morning (she didn't trust either of her fellow counselors to do it right) made the Ravenclaw bristle with loathing, annoyance and anger. She wanted to warn everyone not to follow such a deceitful person, that, indeed, snakes were not to be taken lightly whether they were those found in the Australian bush or those who wandered the halls of Scottish boarding schools.

"How many people d'ya think are gonna get lost or bitten before the end? I'm bettin' six."

Though such a statement should have been anything but a relief, Marina gladly latched on to the distraction before she said something she might regret.

"Not a single one of I can help it." She declared, proudly brandishing the broom she had used that morning to navigate and mark their path. She may not have her wand handy to keep  any dangerous critters at bay, but she did have her one remaining broom to sweep away anyone who might be in trouble and swoop them back to relative safety. "Well, 'cept maybe by bugs, you can swat those away yourselves."

With this, and an intent to keep away from certain less savory people, Marina announced, "I'll take up the rear," and slowed her pace to do just that.
I put my armour on, show you how strong I am
I put my armour on, I'll show you that I am
— I'm unstoppable

Virtue Hir

(08/16/2018 at 18:07)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D7T7S7
    • View Profile
It was a french braid again.

On her life, Virtue Marie Hir swore to herself then and there, standing with a hand on her hip and a thin sheen of sweat on her upper lip, that she would, after this summer, never wear a french braid again.  No, no; in her head she took that back almost immediately.  She could wear a french braid better than anyone at Hogwarts.  Three solid months, though--for three solid months after she left camp, she swore she wouldn’t wear a french braid, or any braid at all, and would only and ever let her curls hang loose and long.

“Come on, Theo,” she said as she tucked a stray tentril behind her ear.  Stubbornly, it slid back out of place, frizzy and defiant from the humidity.  Virtue shook her head, and she looked to her left at the boy beside her.  She would have liked to have blamed this on him--a day in the rain forest was not exactly the Hir girl’s idea of fun--but that would have been a lie.  If something was happening, Virtue liked to be there, even if it meant, as it did in this case, doing something perfectly dreadful.  The two of them had set out from the common room of their cave together earlier, stopping at the dining hall for a supply of shortbread (sans chocolate, which did about as well in the heat as Virtue's hair did), which rested inside a carefully-wrapped napkin at the top of the cross-body purse she carried.

Virtue fell into pace as quickly as her flats would let her, which was at a slower speed that entirely coincidentally kept her closer to Marina Lamont that Cecelia Bramston--and, of course, to Theodore Ptolmey, who, despite what she assumed were far more sensible shoes, stayed beside her.  It was a good thing; as her shoes caught on something in the path, her arm reached out to catch his, to steady and stabilize.  Shaking her head, she carried on plodding forward and adding forests to her list of things to avoid for three solid months on the other side of her time at Camp Loki.

“I heard there’s birds in here,” she said to Theo (and to anyone who was close enough to hear; True’s voice carried notoriously), the tone of her voice light and conversational, but the curl of her smile a little wicked, “that can kick a man in two.”

She hadn’t heard this at all, but she’d seen an illustration in one of the pulpier books she found in a room at Sydney Town Hall.

“I don’t know about that,” she said, the idea of it in slant when she said it, “but I bet it could break a few ribs.”
they say love is a virtue, don’t they?

Cecelia Bramston

(08/26/2018 at 01:50)
  • Junior Healer - Emergency & Triage / Bartender at The Snake Pit
  • C10D4T8S8
    • View Profile
Cecelia visibly cringed at Jeremiah's question, her frown deepening at Marina and Gil's follow-ups to it. It was bad enough to anticipate having to handle a snakebite in the middle of the rainforest, but she hadn't thought about the bugs...she'd happily take a reptile underfoot than an insect crawling across her skin any day.

Under the cover of the canopy, it was, unbelievably, hotter. Cece undid her hair, which had been loosely braided, and pulled it back into a high ponytail, looking for any respite she could find. A bushwalk was nicer said than done. They should have just done a day at the beach.

As some of their campers spread out - a few bouncing ahead, certain others (mercifully) trailing behind, Cece allowed herself to fall somewhere in the middle of the group. Somewhere around Gil. "Here's the deal. You get yourself bit by a snake or maimed by some wild animal, I'll patch you up." She blew a stray strand of hair out of her face, "And in return if you see any spiders within a three-foot radius of me you light the forest on fire and get me the hell out of here." She grinned.

Count my blessings easily
It goes 3, 2, 1,
ME.

Gilroy Locke

(08/26/2018 at 22:15)
  • Slytherin '56
  • C9D5T8S6
    • View Profile
"Swatting them doesn't do much good if they've already bitten you," Gil pointed out as he looked back at the older counselor. At least Lamont had the same thought as Gil had about the bugs being there to bite people too. While he hadn't really interacted with her much outside of the time of the picnic - during which he was still a little concerned about the fate of all those sandwiches she piled onto her plate - the girl at least seemed like decent people.

Cece, on the other hand, drew a smirk from him as she pulled up near him. Green eyes flicked from the path ahead of him to her, noting the change in hairstyle. As much as the idea of setting everything on fire had appealed to him for the sake of random arson, he needed the forest intact for the duels coming up at the end of camp. But still, he entertained the thought, if only to make the trek more enjoyable.

"Only if you don't mind being thrown over a shoulder," he counter-offered to Cece. "After all, I'd need to know how close the flames are to catching us. And I'd rather not need to deal with burns on top of everything else." He'd need a way to start a fire too, since his lighter had been nearly empty at this point, after having finished off the pack of cigarettes he had lifted from Orion and signaling for anyone to find him that night Smallweed found him.
black ocean, cold and dark
i am the hungry shark
fast  and  merciless

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/26/2018 at 23:35)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"Snakes, sure."

Or anything else that was bigger than a finger.

Neither Marina nor Cecelia seemed to appreciate his topic of conversation. The former made her excuses and fell promptly to the back of the line, though Jere suspected that was less about what he'd said and more about the girl standing beside him. And as for Cecelia -- well, it took less than two minutes for her to find a place by Locke's side.

He thought back to the picnic, to her Let me steal you for a minute? and her Nothing at all; to the way she'd left him there and gone back to the three of them, to the way she'd left with the one she walked with now.

He didn't know why he was bothering to think about her at all. He shouldn't have been thinking about her, he should have been thinking about Virtue Hir, a long way off and to the back of the group, walking with the boy from the picnic that they'd left behind yesterday so that they could do something else, a something else that had stretched all the way up until this morning.

He slowed his pace, and eventually, came to a total stop. As Cecelia and Gilroy passed, he looked straight past them, apparently failing to notice that they were there at all, to the girl still a little way behind. And when True finally approached, he caught her fingers with his.

"Hey, True."
darling, don’t you see?
while this has been hard enough on you
it’s been hard enough on me

Virtue Hir

(08/28/2018 at 01:16)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D7T7S7
    • View Profile
Theo was quiet--no doubt peering through the undergrowth for whatever bird it was that could kick a man in two--and so, too, was Virtue, or at least she tried to be.  The jungle wasn't a terribly quiet place for a girl like Virtue, and that was discounting the sporadic howls in the trees of whatever animal might be in a tree and howl (she didn't know or particularly care).  The act of simply walking through it was a noisy affair; the girl's hand swatted and smacked at bugs where they landed or, more accurately, at her own skin, missing the bugs entirely, or otherwise fanned the air by her cheeks to keep them dry so that her mascara didn't flare across them, wet and and running, when she blinked.  Her steps were slow, slower still the further she went, her legs sore from the previous night's activities and not quite willing to lend themselves fully to this much less exciting one.

They quickened surely enough when she saw that Jere's had slowed, and further still when she saw him stop.  It didn't take too long to close the space between them, Theo once again left behind to catch up if he would.

When his fingers caught hers, her own didn't hesitate to close against the back of his hand.  A smile twitched not-quite-fulfilled at the corner of her lips; this was new.

"Hey, Jere."

Looking ahead, she took a leading step as if to start them off down the path again, the patent leather of her flats looking especially shining in the humidity of the forest.  Bobbing along further up with a flash of red was a blonde head of hair.  Her her fingers knitted together with Jere's, she wasn't terrible eager to head in the same direction.

"Would it be terribly mutinous of us to turn around now?"

She knew it would.  She didn't want to do it any less.
« Last Edit: 08/28/2018 at 01:22 by Virtue Hir »
i fell in love 'cause no one saw me the way you did
and no one's seen me that way since
but for a short time that's how i lived

* Orion Alricsson

(08/28/2018 at 02:32)
  • Slytherin '56
  • C11D7T7S12
    • View Profile
Quite fortuitously, Orion had been at the very end of the procession. And truly, for the boy who had been waiting for the right spectacle to unfold in front of him it was quite rewarding to be people-watching on this hike rather than taking in the rainforest environment.

It was a good excuse to stay isolated, to shed the spotlight for once and simply watch the theatre unfold before him. Luckily, he was tall enough to witness most of it. As small clusters of voices pooled between him and the front of this team exercise, one that was suppose to be rewarding on its own merit but he assumed most had signed-up for the beach picnic, the counselors stole his attention.

If Orion planned to remain inconspicuous, he had failed to dress for it. The seventeen year-old had decided that, even in this suffocating humidity, a black, silk scarf had been a necessary accesory to wear. It wrapped loosely around his neck with only one end hanging off his right shoulder and down his chest. His suncheaters matched its color while his tight, royal purple tee matched its texture. Swimming trunks as red as the setting sun left his legs open until they ended with white sneakers. Those, of course, had been "borrowed" and would most likely be returned.mote.brown than white.

With his hands in his pockets, Orion meandered from one edge of the path to the either, making a slow march to remain on the heels of the group. He watched, ever smirking, until he focused solely on the approaching Marina Lamont. He tried to meet her gaze and offer a smile, the one that you'd reserve for a good friend who needed some rescuing from a situation.

Of course, coming from him, it was aimed to send her running right back the other way.

SLYTHERIN
don't tempt me

* Marina Lamont

(08/28/2018 at 14:31)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C13D8T14S8
  • ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week
    • View Profile
"Swatting them doesn't do much good if they've already bitten you,"

"That's why you gotta swap 'em before," Marina specified, demonstrating as she gave an intrusive mosquito a good slap that didn't kill it, but sent it off to fly rattled and disoriented much closer to the ground. "But if they do get to you, you can rub a tea bag or--" But she didn't get to the next of her mother's handy homemade tricks before she saw Bramston approaching like a snake on the prowl. And though she'd promised to save everyone from the worst of the snakes, something in his expression told Marina this guy didn't want to be saved.

So, she hung further back, finding a comfortable, if lonely, spot at the tail end of the procession. She heaved a sigh as she finally wiped the sweat from her brow before it could start dripping into her eyes. This was going to be a long trek, and a longer lunch, too, if these were the people she'd be stuck with. She barely knew Gil or Virtue, and though neither of them seemed bad, it was hard for Marina to believe that people who hung off the arms of Cecelia Bramston or Jeremiah Smallweed could be anything but. Smallweed may have had the decency to be honest about what Calvin had been doing behind her back, but from the rumours surrounding him, he was clearly cut from a similarly stained cloth.

And if the company of her fellow counselors wasn't enough to send her mood into the gutter, the approach of a smiling face made Marina want to mount her last remaining broom (before he could steal that one too) and leave the lot of them to the snakes. Instead, with a grip that tightened around her broom -- her last prized possession -- she moved decidedly forward, with an accelerated step to catch up with the back of the group. Hopefully, if she didn't stray too far from the group, Alricsson wouldn't be able to corner her away from witnesses to pull off more of his terrible antics.

"What do you want?"
I put my armour on, show you how strong I am
I put my armour on, I'll show you that I am
— I'm unstoppable

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/29/2018 at 16:49)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
He wanted to turn around and leave with Virtue Hir, he really did.

But trying to explain to Cecelia and Marina -- the latter of which was behind him, and could therefore see what he was doing -- that they'd accidentally gotten lost and not managed to find their way back would probably not go down well.

And whilst he particularly care what either of them thought, the tension was running high between them all as it was. It made more sense to stick this one out.

"What, you tired already?" Though, if she was, he could hardly blame her. "D'ya need me to carry ya?" He grinned, a flash of a thing that stayed laughing in his eyes even as it disappeared from his lips. "'Cause I will."
juliet, the dice was loaded from the start
and I bet, and you exploded into my heart
I can’t do everythin' but I’d do anythin’ for you
I can’t do anythin’ ’cept be in love with you

Virtue Hir

(08/29/2018 at 19:21)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D7T7S7
    • View Profile
Though she had not been exactly four seconds ago, Virtue Hir was suddenly terribly tired because, yes, that was exactly what she needed.

She couldn't say this, though.

Instead, she caught his smile like it was something contagious, her own flashing red and white across her lips revealing teeth, and then flickering to only the corners of her mouth like it did sometimes for him.  Hers, too, stayed in her eyes, which stayed focused on only his.  There were others in the forest, of course, but none of them in the moment mattered.

"I'm not terribly well-rested, I have to admit," she said; she particularly didn't have to admit it to Jeremiah Smallweed.  "And I can think of about thirty things I'd rather be doing than this--"  This was a lie; as suddenly as she was tired, she was quite enjoying herself.  "--but I think I can manage for now."

She hoped he did it anyway.  Virtue took another leading step forward, the soles of her flats slipping against bits of cut vine.
they say love is a virtue, don’t they?

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/31/2018 at 21:25)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
He could think of about thirty things he'd rather be doing than this too; at least half of them involved her and the chair and the desk in his cabin and her notebook and her pen. The rest might have involved Cecelia, but he was trying not to think about her. A flash of red and gold up ahead, of sunlight falling through leaves onto hair, had him quickly diverting his gaze back to Virtue.

"I'm gonna have to disagree."

She stepped forward and his hand shot out to curl around her wrist, to pull her back in towards him. "You don't gotta pretend you don't want me to," he murmured as his hand slipped from her arm to curl around her back, just beneath her shoulder blades. His other arm dipped to catch her by the backs of her thighs, and he, too, ducked momentarily to lift her.

Jeremiah Smallweed pulled Virtue Hir up into his arms.

"'Cause," he leaned in to murmur against her ear, her perfume swelling in what space was left between them, "I know you do."
I promise tonight not to do no harm
I promise you, babe , I won't do you no harm
and we’re caught up in the crossfire
of heaven and hell

Virtue Hir

(09/04/2018 at 17:40)
  • Sixth Year
  • C10D7T7S7
    • View Profile
Though she didn't mean it to, it escaped her, a kind of laugh that was only half a laugh and which was at least a quarter yelp, as up into his arms she went.  It dissolved into the kind of laughter she so seldom laughed, a sort of low and sweet giggle, which she would have felt terribly embarrassed by if it had been produced under any other circumstance.  As it was, she was much too busy delighting as she did in that up-ended feeling of having had two feet on the ground a half-second ago only to find them now dangling free in the air, at the sudden closeness of her face to Jeremiah's, at the feeling of his arms tensed beneath her.

Jeremiah was, of course, right.  She didn't have to tell him, though.  He already knew.

“All right,” she said instead, the noise of her laughter lingering kindly in her voice.  Behind the curtain of her hair, she smiled, wide and white-teeth and red-lipped.  Her arms, which had somewhere between there and here wrapped around his shoulders, tightened briefly, then relaxed to hang easily off him with her hands clasped, fingers knitted together, over his right clavicle, as if this was something that not only she had done a hundred times before, but that the pair of them did with frequency together.

She hoped it would be, that this was a secondary perk of her time spent writing at his desk. Virtue gave a sigh as if she was being terribly indulgent in letting him do this, though the sound of it did little to quell the glint in her eyes.

“Well, then, let's get moving,” she said, head jerking to her left--the direction of the roughly-cut path.  “We don’t want to fall behind.”
i wanna confess it in a whisper that's just loud enough to make out.
i want you to listen from the kitchen to me confessing on the couch.

Tags: