Vote for Player of the Summer now!

Author Topic: suspicious character || jerx  (Read 253 times)

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/15/2018 at 21:13)
  • Bartender & Security at The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
monday 2 august 1954
towards the end of breakfast

Lecia hadn't shown up in the dining hall, and he was pretty sure it wasn't just that he'd missed her coming in. Jeremiah Smallweed tended to be one of the first through the doors each morning, and one of the last to leave.

To say that he was worried about her was an understatement, for she hadn't really seemed like her usual self in these past couple of weeks. Hell, she hadn't seemed like herself in a while.

Jere climbed out of the rowboat, dragged it the final few feet up the beach, and left it there in the sand, not bothering to secure it properly to one of the posts. The island was devoid of campers; they must all have been either on the mainland or still waking up.

He didn't see Pax Fellwater until he almost stood on him.

"Oh, for the love of God." He scowled at the figure sprawled out in the morning sun. "You allergic to t-shirts or somethin'? We don't need to see your seventeen abs every bloody minute of the day."

permission to powerplay lecia dorset granted by her player.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2018 at 21:14 by Jeremiah Smallweed »
'cause my baby, she's a real peach
even when the night come crashin' down
real peach, and the nighttime rolls away, alright
and we're comin' back to the demon-killin' work of love

* Pax Fellwater

(08/16/2018 at 22:17)
  • Seventh Year
  • C9D7T5S5
    • View Profile
Pax’s breakfast was the sun. If he ever went this early to the mess hall, it was only for the social aspect. The beach was far more inviting than that food anyway, and sometimes the emptiness of it while everyone else stuffed their faces was the calmest he’d see til he was face down in his pillow. Unless the inexpert drag of a rowboat on sand scratched through his peace and quiet.

He heard the footsteps, but wasn’t concerned enough to open his eyes beneath the dark lenses of glasses until a shadow fell across him. Even then, the shadow’s voice made looking unnecessary.

Of course it was Smallweed choking the sun and keeping him from photosynthesizing.

“Oh,” Pax replied simply, lifting his head to stare down the length of his own torso, “Is that how many there are now? I’d stopped counting. Good of you to notice.”

He laid his head back down, and without moving, Pax probed for which pocket he felt the press of his wand in. Here, after all, was the reason it was always on him.

“I didn’t think they let you out of your cave during daylight. You’re more than welcome to head back there if the heat’s too much for you.”
**************Be Humble

Sit Down]

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/17/2018 at 12:29)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"Yeah, right. We both know you was probably gloatin' over them in the mirror this mornin'."

He was lucky enough never to have had to share a cabin or a dorm with Pax Fellwater, so he couldn't be certain, but if the rest of the Ravenclaw's behaviour was anything to go by, Jere was pretty sure that he couldn't be that far from the truth.

He almost felt bad for Dumay, having to share such a small space with such a large ego, and probably would have felt bad for him, if the Gryffindor had been anybody else.

"I could head back," he agreed, for that would be infinitely preferable to having to remain in Fellwater's company any longer than he had to, "Or I could kick sand into your hair." He took a step back and to the side, aligning himself with Pax's head. "It's a tough call."
and watch him grow into a shell of a man
everythin' is takin' shape and goin' to plan
how quickly, though, life can turn around
                   one step forward,
two steps back,
he’s lost in the crowd

* Pax Fellwater

(08/23/2018 at 22:26)
  • Seventh Year
  • C9D7T5S5
    • View Profile
He rolled sideways, landing on hands and knees. There was no point in waiting for Smallweed’s foot to scrape the sand. Pax’s only concern was dodging whatever particles were set to come flying his way. Half of him hated himself for moving, for surrendering this small game of chicken, but there was a very high likelihood that Jeremiah was, in fact, not bluffing.

Pax pushed himself upward, getting his feet under him so he could stand tall and Smallweed could better admire the ripples in his stomach. He let a genuine distaste color every line of his expression looking at the boy across from him. It always escalated with this one, Pax thought to himself bitterly, he could never leave it.

“Look,” Pax began with an exaggerated huff, brushing grit from his hands, “I know it’s hard for you to understand when the mirror offers you that every morning, but just because you look like a beast doesn’t mean you have to act like one. What’ll it take to get you out of my sun?”

DON'T FALL ASLEEP WITH THE
MOONLIGHT
SHE'LL MAKE YOU SWEAT IN THE WATER

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/24/2018 at 22:21)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
Watching Fellwater scramble, even if he hadn't had the chance to kick any sand in his face yet, was worth sticking around for. They tended to avoid each other these days, so it was a welcome sight to watch the other boy panic at his feet.

After everything that had happened in the last few months, it had been easy to forget just how much the Ravenclaw irritated him.

Jere grinned, and his smile didn't slip at the insult that was soon delivered, for something of the kind -- if not those exact words -- had been expected. At the question, though, his amusement faded.

"You ain't seen Lecia this mornin', have ya? She weren't at breakfast."
juliet, the dice was loaded from the start
and I bet, and you exploded into my heart
I can't do everythin' but I'd do anythin' for you
I can't do anythin' except be in love with you

* Pax Fellwater

(08/26/2018 at 07:39)
  • Seventh Year
  • C9D7T5S5
    • View Profile
The question had been largely rhetorical. Pax had not expected anything from Jeremiah outside of a sneer and a snide remark, something aimed to put them both at each other’s throats in the sand. He certainly hadn’t prepared himself to actually listen to whatever words fell out of Smallweed’s mouth.

It was the tone that caught him.

And even when it had, Pax took a moment filing through his memory for a time the two of them had exchanged anything close to civility since at least third year. He couldn’t find one. His face went through a course of subtle changes, sneer fading into incredulous shock and settling on narrow-eyed suspicion as the words sank in.

Pax hadn’t seen Lecia. Not that they made much of a point to cross each other’s paths (a prime reason why standing right in front of him), but they didn’t make a point of avoiding each other, either. That wasn’t really the important part, however. The important part was Jeremiah Smallweed and the audacity he had to threaten kicking sand in Pax’s hair then expect a serious answer to a question!

Without an inkling of why Lecia’s absence might have been strange (he skipped breakfast all the time), Pax let several beats float by before answering levelly, “Saw her earlier, said she was headed up to the gardens.”

That was far away from here, wasn’t it?
HERE'S WHERE YOU LOSE YOUR MIND
          THE  WATER   HERE'S
Divine.....

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/26/2018 at 13:22)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
He might have believed him, if he hadn't caught the suspicion in the other's gaze. He might have believed him, if he hadn't known that Pax Fellwater had every reason not to give him an honest answer. He didn't believe him, and said as much:

"I don't believe ya."

Maybe Lecia was in the gardens. Maybe she was in the dining hall. Maybe he'd just missed her, and she'd been there all along, and she was fine, absolutely fine. Maybe all of those things were true; except that he was so sure that she wasn't fine, that she hadn't been there, that something was wrong and had been for a while.

She was one of his closest friends, after all.

He gave Fellwater a second chance, "Don't be a wanker." A bit of advice that would undoubtedly be difficult for the Ravenclaw to follow. "She ain't been herself recently, maybe you'd've noticed, if you ever bothered to look at anythin' 'cept your own reflection. So," brown clashed with brown, "you seen her or not?"
« Last Edit: 08/26/2018 at 13:23 by Jeremiah Smallweed »
and watch him grow into a shell of a man
everythin' is takin' shape and goin' to plan
how quickly, though, life can turn around
                   one step forward,
two steps back,
he’s lost in the crowd

* Pax Fellwater

(08/26/2018 at 20:06)
  • Seventh Year
  • C9D7T5S5
    • View Profile
“Jesus Christ,” he rolled his whole head along with his eyes, crossed his arms over chest, “You know, I don’t care if you bel--”

“Don’t be a wanker…”

This. Guy. It was almost enough to make him ignore the next statement, the follow-up almost enough to make him forget it. If it weren’t for the fact that he was asking about Lecia and for that hint of worry in the words, Pax would have called this tanning session a failure, told Smallweed where he could stick his belief and been on his way.

That Jeremiah was concerned enough to actually ask him for help--because that’s exactly what he was doing, Pax noted smugly--gave him pause.

Eyes still pinched, voice still flat, he asked, “What do you mean ‘not herself’?”
« Last Edit: 08/27/2018 at 00:11 by Pax Fellwater »
DON'T BE MAD CAUSE

I'm doin' me better than you doin' you

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/29/2018 at 00:34)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
He was wasting his time with Fellwater.

It was becoming increasingly obvious that even if Pax had seen Lecia, he clearly wasn't aware of the situation. To be fair, Jere was entirely sure of it himself -- he thought back to how absolutely insane she'd sounded on the beach that night, babbling about a baby, and how he was half-convinced that he'd dreamt it.

"Look, I dunno."

He genuinely didn't.

"She's been miserable ever since--" He realised that maybe Lecia Dorset did not want him sharing her private life with Pax Fellwater, and changed the subject. "How come you two ain't friends no more?"

It wasn't something he'd ever wanted to bring up with Lecia, half-afraid that she'd yell at him, or worse, cry.
« Last Edit: 08/29/2018 at 00:34 by Jeremiah Smallweed »

* Pax Fellwater

(08/31/2018 at 01:04)
  • Seventh Year
  • C9D7T5S5
    • View Profile
He was really trying, Pax told himself, to resolve the genuineness he perceived behind Smallweed’s words. The part of him that cared for Lecia begged him to while his curiosity nagged him to remain neutral and dig deeper. But all of it was dim in the shadow of his much larger distrust and resentment.

This information was coming from the last source he would turn to, regardless of how sincere it sounded. He almost held out when the word ‘miserable’ came up--for if Lecia was miserable about something, then he was worried--but then the Snake had to go and ruin it (not surprisingly) with a last minute dodge into territory that was really none of his business.

“Who said we’re not friends?” he answered quickly, then squared his shoulders, releasing his arms tensed to his sides, “And why’s she miserable? You do something to her?”

It wasn’t implausible at all, Pax decided, and why else would he be so shifty about what was going on after he’d already made the effort to come over and ask about it in the first place.

DON'T FALL ASLEEP WITH THE
MOONLIGHT
SHE'LL MAKE YOU SWEAT IN THE WATER

Jeremiah Smallweed

(09/01/2018 at 20:32)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
Nobody had said they weren't friends. Nobody had needed to. All he'd needed to do was to use his eyes; Pax and Lecia were not as close as they had once been, Jeremiah thought, and he was almost certain that that was the Ravenclaw's fault, in some way or another.

It always was, wasn't it.

He opened his mouth to tell Pax as much, but the other boy got in there first before he could.

"Me?"

Pax Fellwater had hit a nerve.

Jere thought of Cecelia, and the knife, and the scar on her throat. He thought of her brothers kicking him into the ground.

I never touched her.

"I ain't done anythin' to her!"

If Pax had still been lying down, he definitely would have kicked sand into his hair at this point. Unfortunately for Jeremiah, Pax was not still lying down. He had to settle instead for several expletives hissed between gritted teeth, as he turned and made his way, seething, back down the beach.

fin.