As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: Getting Over It [Jaiden]  (Read 310 times)

Aiden Duncan

(08/09/2018 at 00:53)
  • Hufflepuff '56
  • C12D6T9S8
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Second Week of Camp
Late Morning
Just Outside the Platypus Caves

Although he enjoyed being a camp counselor for the past few summers, Aiden had forgotten just how fun it was to freely roam around camp without worrying about any sort of responsibilities or duties.

It was a welcome change just to be able to explore around camp without having to come back to camp and face a bunch of angry co-counselors. And so, Aiden eagerly took advantage of his newfound freedom and went about on several adventures. From the lake to the forest to the vineyards. Aiden went wherever and whenever he wanted. Aiden had even tried some nighttime excursions, knowing that most of the counselors wouldn't get him into trouble.

The only place at camp Aiden did avoid was the Platypus cabins. He wasn't on the greatest of terms with Jeremiah and Aiden really didn't want to ruin his "Summer of Fun" with an all-out brawl. And yet... a large part of Aiden hated that he and Jeremiah weren't friends anymore over a little misunderstanding. He still wanted to make things right with him. He hated the mere idea of someone hating him with such a passion, even if Mia and Calvin both hated the boy with a passion.

So, making the trek over to the cave that he had only seen in passing, Aiden just wandered outside of the entrance. For once, he was hesitant to charge in... And so, he waited for his chance to have a single conversation with the brown-haired Slytherin. He figured Jeremiah would never answer an invitation and he would probably shoo him out of the cabins immediately, but Aiden hoped he might get at least a word in if he just "happened" to run into him outside.

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/12/2018 at 22:49)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
He'd spent the morning at his desk, with Virtue Hir in his head, in the lead of his pencil, being scrawled out onto the page. He'd spent the morning inhaling her scent from the bedsheets that she'd sat on, in the air that she'd breathed the evening before. He'd spent the morning thinking that True had come along right when he'd needed her, and wondering whether she'd known or if it had been an extremely convenient coincidence.

Jeremiah Smallweed didn't really believe in coincidences.

That was why, when he emerged from Koonalda Cave, he didn't buy that Aiden Duncan just happened to walking past at the exact same moment, That was why, as his expression shifted into something less neutral, he didn't consider that maybe the Hufflepuff was just waiting for somebody else. Who else would it have been? He could hardly imagine Aiden was dying to talk to Alricsson.

He thought about walking straight past and heading down to Sydney Town Hall for a late breakfast, just as he'd originally intended before he'd known that Aiden was out here. He thought about turning around and going back to his cabin -- but his stomach wasn't all too pleased with that option. He thought about calling the other boy a rude word, or aiming a punch at his face, or both.

He didn't do it.

Instead, a grudging nod, "Duncan." He paused, then added, "Was gonna see if I could grab a late breakfast."
I promise tonight not to do no harm
I promise you, babe , I won't do you no harm
and we’re caught up in the crossfire
of heaven and hell

Aiden Duncan

(08/18/2018 at 17:49)
  • Hufflepuff '56
  • C12D6T9S8
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
After several more moments of very obviously wandering his way around the Koonalda Cave entrance, pacing back and forth several times, finally the moody and wily snake emerged from his cove. He had the same unpleasant look, as though he caught a whiff of Aiden's sweaty armpits, as he always did whenever Aiden saw him. It had been quite some time since Aiden and Jeremiah had laughed or even chuckled together over anything. Most of their encounters over the last few terms had turned into full-blown arguments or even fights.

Aiden, for one, was sick and tired of being at odds with Jeremiah. He enjoyed having the Slytherin boy around as a friend. Aiden truly had nothing against Jeremiah, even if he didn't get along with Mia or Calvin. Aiden just wanted to let bygones be bygones and see if maybe he could patch things up between them all. After all, he knew Jeremiah couldn't stand Alricsson either, so he really couldn't have been as bad as Calvin thought he was...

"Duncan."

Aiden returned his curt nod with a friendly smile. At the very least, the Slytherin boy had acknowledged his presence and hadn't thrown a scathing glare or a tart comment his way.

"Was gonna see if I could grab a late breakfast."

"Yeah, I was - er - headed that way too!" Aiden said, not putting on a convincing performance at all. "Yeh know, I was jus' in th' neighborhood an' all an' I got real hungry!"

At the very least, the last part wasn't a lie. Aiden could always find an excuse to eat, even though he had already wolfed down a large breakfast a few hours ago.

"We could - er - walk over together an' grab a bite, yeah?" Aiden hoped Jeremiah would at least be open to hanging out at breakfast together.

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/24/2018 at 20:18)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
Jeremiah had already been convinced that Aiden had been waiting for him. The words that followed, an eager attempt at casual that was about as believable as the fact that Jere would become an Auror, seemed to further prove his suspicions.

After everything that had happened, being annoyed with Aiden Duncan wasn't really his priority right now.

"Yeah, fine," he said, not bothering to even try to inject an enthusiasm into the words. The fact that he was agreeing at all was a great improvement on the hostile silence that he had met the Hufflepuff with throughout the entirety of the last school year.

He continued walking, and didn't bother to check whether Aiden was following. It seemed inevitable that he would. Silence settled, but it was the awkward kind. At least if they were talking, Jere didn't have to imagine stilted conversation filling the space.

Grudgingly, and keeping his gaze fixed firmly on the path, he asked, "How've you been, then."
of heaven and hell

Aiden Duncan

(08/25/2018 at 15:57)
  • Hufflepuff '56
  • C12D6T9S8
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
"Yeah, fine,"

Aiden grinned at Jeremiah's response, accidentally being overtly enthusiastic in the process.

He just couldn't help it. Aiden had never been someone who was fine with being hated or knowing that his friends were mad at him. That was especially true with Jeremiah, someone that Aiden really wanted to get to know better. In some ways, the two boys came from very similar backgrounds, with large, close-knit and poor families back at home. In other ways, Aiden just didn't get Jeremiah at all. He couldn't understand how the boy could ever agree with Alricsson on any sort of issue, especially when it came to being loyal to the girl you loved.

"How've you been, then."

"Grand! Dunno if yeh heard, bu' I'm goin' out with Mia!" Aiden said, still overly chipper. "What about you? How've yeh been? Anythin' I missed?" He bounded alongside Jeremiah like a faithful dog who hadn't seen its owner while they were at work the entire day.

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/25/2018 at 16:50)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"You what?" It was this revelation that had him glancing up and looking at Aiden for the first time in months. He'd not heard about Mia, too busy battling his own problems to pay much attention to what his (former?) friend had been up to in the meantime.

"Jesus. How much she pay you to do that?"

She was quite the step down from Lita Chevalier -- had it been her? He thought so -- and the couple of others.

"What about you? How've yeh been? Anythin' I missed?"

He'd missed quite a lot, though Jere suspected that, actually, he'd probably heard most of it already through a certain Gryffindor. "Not much goin' on with me. Not nearly as--" Exciting was probably not the right word to describe dating Mia Green, "--interesting as you and your girlfriend. 'Sides, I'm sure Sharppe kept you up to date."
darling, don’t you see?
while this has been hard enough on you
it’s been hard enough on me

Aiden Duncan

(08/25/2018 at 22:12)
  • Hufflepuff '56
  • C12D6T9S8
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
"You what?"

Aiden looked at him sheepishly as Jeremiah gave a surprised look. Apparently nobody had filled Jeremiah in on the details. Although, the Slytherin wasn't on speaking terms with either Calvin or Mia. He certainly didn't talk to Pax, at least not in a friendly manner. Aiden wasn't even sure if he and Jeremiah had any friends in common at all.

"Jesus. How much she pay you to do that?"

Aiden chuckled, not entirely sure how to take that comment. "Nah, it's nothin' like that, Jer," he replied. "It was on'y a couple o' months ago. Said she wanted teh be more than friends an' it jus' kinda fit, yeh know?"

Aiden wasn't exactly sure how to describe how he and Mia became a couple. It really had been sort of sudden for Aiden. It wasn't until Mia declared her love that Aiden ever really thought of her in a romantic way. Unlike all of his other romantic interests, it was just a natural fit.

"Not much goin' on with me. Not nearly as interesting as you and your girlfriend. 'Sides, I'm sure Sharppe kept you up to date."

"Er - Cal doesn't talk about yeh!" Aiden said, a little too quickly. Maybe telling Jeremiah the truth would be better, even if he was going to start yelling again.

"Well - maybe he does a little - an' he doesn't say th' nicest things... But I try teh get 'im teh knock it off, I swear!"

Aiden had always tried his hardest to bridge the gap between Calvin, Mia and Jeremiah. He didn't see why his two friends couldn't let bygones be bygones with the Slytherin. Of course, he generally didn't call them out with any sort of ferocity, but Aiden at least tried to either steer the conversation away or let them know that Jeremiah wasn't such a bad guy.

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/28/2018 at 01:19)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"...it jus' kinda fit, yeh know?"

He didn't know, not really.

He got it, he supposed, in the sense that Aiden got along with everyone and anyone, and Green seemed to get along with most people, but not him. It made sense that they'd get along with each other, and they'd be friends for as long as he could remember.

He didn't get it in the sense that none of his relationships had ever fitted, not properly, not like that. Even he and Cece didn't fit anymore -- his fault, of course, but hers too. If they'd fit like they were supposed to, surely none of what had happened in the last few weeks would have happened at all, ever.

"Well, as long as you're happy, s'all that matters, innit."

He tried not to be irritated by Aiden's next words, tried not to care about whatever Sharppe was saying behind his back, and only just failed. "You don't gotta bother," he said now; there was something prickling in his tone that hadn't been there before. "I know he's, like, your best friend, or whatever."

Why, he'd never know.

"So, is it weird now you and Mia are a thing? Hangin' out with him too, I mean."
« Last Edit: 08/28/2018 at 01:19 by Jeremiah Smallweed »
juliet, the dice was loaded from the start
and I bet, and you exploded into my heart
I can’t do everythin' but I’d do anythin’ for you
I can’t do anythin’ ’cept be in love with you

Aiden Duncan

(08/29/2018 at 00:06)
  • Hufflepuff '56
  • C12D6T9S8
  • Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
"Well, as long as you're happy, s'all that matters, innit."

Aiden beamed and nodded, taking Jeremiah's comment to believe that the Slytherin boy was happy to see him and Mia together. For all his brooding and avoiding him over the past term, Aiden was glad that Jeremiah was finally having a conversation with him and that things were starting to get back to normal between them.

"You don't gotta bother. I know he's, like, your best friend, or whatever."

Aiden frowned and stopped in his tracks for a moment.

Jeremiah kept going, so Aiden hurried to catch back up to him, a frown still on his face. What did it matter that Calvin was his best friend? That didn't mean he was allowed to make fun of Jeremiah...

"Yeah, Cal's my best friend an' he's a great lad." He crossed his arms and looked over at Jeremiah with a friendly smile, "Bu' yer my friend too, Jer.  And no one, not even Cal or Mia, is allowed teh talk about m' friend like that. I'll tell 'em teh lay off, I swear!"

Aiden certainly didn't have the guts to truly stand up to Mia or Calvin, but he at least vowed to himself that he would do a better job of defending Jeremiah whenever they said anything bad about him.

"So, is it weird now you and Mia are a thing? Hangin' out with him too, I mean."

"I - er - guess I never thought o' that," Aiden said truthfully. "Everythin's all th' same, I guess? Me an' Mia were always best friends an' we're still best friends. I'd do anythin' fer her an' she'd do th' same fer me, yeh know?"

Jeremiah Smallweed

(09/04/2018 at 14:43)
  • Owner of The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"Bu' yer my friend too, Jer."

To his credit, he didn't laugh in Aiden's face. Instead, eyebrows raised ever so slightly at the other's claim.

It certainly hadn't felt like they were friends for almost the entirety of the last term, though, admittedly, that blame didn't rest entirely on Aiden's shoulders. Jeremiah had taken to avoiding him wherever possible, hoping that the Hufflepuff would get the hint after he had failed to show up for the planned prank -- and it had seemed to work, too, for the pair hadn't properly spoken in months now.

He didn't want to admit it, but he'd missed Aiden Duncan. He was all too easy to hang out with, not even half as prickly as most of the other guys, if at all. And even now, after everything, he was still stubbornly insistent that they were friends.

Maybe that meant that he was right, and they were friends, after all.

"I'd do anythin' fer her an' she'd do th' same fer me, yeh know?"

"Yeah," he said, though he wasn't sure that he did know what that felt like. He thought of Cecelia again, and how maybe that could have been her, could have been them. He swallowed back the bitter taste of regret.

"God, I'm starvin'." Then, in an unspoken acknowledgement of a friendship rebuilt, and as if they were just kids and not the teenagers that they had grown to be, "Race ya the rest of the way."

Jeremiah Smallweed took off, knowing that Aiden Duncan would follow.

fin.
of heaven and hell