Drop by the Fashion Fair!

Author Topic: an apple a day || smallstairs snaps  (Read 2030 times)

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/01/2018 at 22:48)
  • Bartender & Security at The Snake Pit
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
very late on friday 9 july 1954
or, very early on saturday 10 july 1954

The realisation that he missed Camilla Carstairs had hit him for the first time on the Hogwarts Express back to King's Cross, when he'd met her gaze through the window on the door to his compartment and she had chosen -- he had seen the decision settle in her eyes -- to leave him there alone..

The realisation that he missed Camilla Carstairs had hit him for the second time on the very first day that she had arrived at Camp Loki, when he'd caught a glimpse of her dark hair disappearing from the Team Platypus common room down the tunnel to her cabin.

The realisation that he missed Camilla Carstairs had hit him for the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh (--and so on) times at each and every moment that he'd seen her since.

He'd spent the last week trying to figure out how to say sorry without actually having to say the word. It felt like defeat, somehow, to say it; like he was cheating himself, because even if he was sorry for upsetting her, he still wasn't sorry for what he'd said.

He'd settled, in the end, for this: three hours well after curfew, spent trekking back and forth between the Werribee Park orchards and Camilla's cabin all the way down in Koonalda Cave. By the time he'd completed his final journey, it was already getting light outside.

Jeremiah Joseph Smallweed collapsed into his bed and slept for the next eleven hours. For probably the first time in his life, he missed both breakfast and lunch.

saturday 10 july 1954
whenever camilla carstairs comes out of her cabin

The apples were piled high. They started in baskets. Red, green, pink, yellow; as many varieties as he'd been able to lay his hands on. The baskets hadn't been enough, in the end. The fruit spilled over, stacked too precariously not to have toppled at some point in the night.

When Camilla Carstairs opened her door, some of it would surely roll into the cabin to meet her.

If Jeremiah Smallweed had been awake, he would have hoped it was enough.
« Last Edit: 08/02/2018 at 10:22 by Jeremiah Smallweed »
'cause my baby, she's a real peach
even when the night come crashin' down
real peach, and the nighttime rolls away, alright
and we're comin' back to the demon-killin' work of love

Camilla Carstairs

(08/02/2018 at 10:21)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
saturday 10 july 1954
8:20am

When she opened the door, something rolled inside the cabin -- it took her eyes a few moments to adjust themselves to the daylight, then a few more to process the scene before her.

Apples, everywhere.

Camilla Carstairs, knowing that nobody could see her, smiled.

saturday 10 july 1954
during breakfast

He missed breakfast, he never missed breakfast.

Still, she waited -- foolishly, hopefully -- a green apple on her right hand, a red on on the other.

saturday 10 july 1954
at dinner

Quietly, she slipped on the seat beside him and pushed her plate towards him, gesturing to the slice of ham on her sandwhich.

"Do you want it?"
« Last Edit: 08/02/2018 at 10:24 by Camilla Carstairs »

an assortmet of atoms, carving  out its very own fate with her stardust powered hands

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/02/2018 at 18:52)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
He helped himself to her entire sandwich.

"You're talkin' to me again, then."
and watch him grow into a shell of a man
everythin' is takin' shape and goin' to plan
how quickly, though, life can turn around
                   one step forward,
two steps back,
he’s lost in the crowd

Camilla Carstairs

(08/02/2018 at 20:34)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
She watched him, still evidently disgusted by his eating habits, as she toyed with a yellow apple -- her favorites. "Wasn't that what you wanted?"
IT'S SUCH A SHAME,
SHE USED TO BE SO DELIGHTFUL

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/02/2018 at 21:32)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"Oh, yeah. I really missed you callin' me stupid every chance you get." Something close to a smile twitched at his lips. Despite the sarcasm that dripped in his voice, he had missed it, had missed her.

In a more serious tone, he added, "But is it what you want?"
« Last Edit: 08/03/2018 at 11:10 by Jeremiah Smallweed »
                   one step forward,
two steps back,
he’s lost in the crowd

Camilla Carstairs

(08/03/2018 at 10:13)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
"I want a lot of things, you know," she shrugged, finally taking a bite from the apple, aware that her sandwich was no longer hers. "a nephew among others, but I think Gallion didn't like that idea." Another bite, absently recalling that conversation before she focused her attention on the boy once again.

Then, in a tone that tried to match his own serious one. "But yeah, I do want to talk to you," a smile, "your stupidity is quite amusing."

an assortmet of atoms, carving  out its very own fate with her stardust powered hands

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/03/2018 at 11:39)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"He'd be a weird dad."

Not that he knew much about fathers at all.

He wondered what she'd say if he told her that, just two nights before, he'd been kissing Virtue Hir in his cabin. He wondered how many apples that would take to resolve. He decided that he wasn't going to tell her, and hoped that Virtue wouldn't either.

"So," Jere said instead, "We're all good?"
« Last Edit: 08/03/2018 at 11:40 by Jeremiah Smallweed »

Camilla Carstairs

(08/04/2018 at 14:32)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
“He’s a weird man.”

All good. Camilla Carstairs did not entirely understand what did that concept involve - she still didn’t like the things he had done, the things he had said. “I don’t know,” Maybe she had no answers, but she always had questions.

“are we?”
« Last Edit: 08/04/2018 at 15:03 by Camilla Carstairs »
IT'S SUCH A SHAME,

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/04/2018 at 15:07)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
She was right, as usual. Gallion was a weird man. But he'd be damned if their first proper conversation in however many weeks was going to be about their Divination professor.

He focused instead on the question she had flipped back to him, returning it just as easily. "Ain't that up to you? You're the one who's been avoidin' me."
I don't want this night to end
it's closin' time, so leave with me again
you got all my love to spend
let's find a place where happiness begins

Camilla Carstairs

(08/04/2018 at 15:16)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
She dug her teeth on the apple, thinking about his words with a look on her face that clearly hinted that she did not agree with them. “And you were avoiding me,”
Both of them, in her opinion, could be easily be framed as culprits in this overly simple case.

Then, she added. “Besides, you looked rather busy with your girls.”
IT'S SUCH A SHAME,

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/04/2018 at 15:26)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
He almost asked her whether she was jealous again, remembered how well that had gone down the last time, and stopped himself just in time.

He almost asked her whether she'd seen Virtue Hir leaving his cabin for the past two nights, realised that if she hadn't then it would open up a whole other series of questions, and stopped himself just in time on this point too.

He felt a little bit like he was treading a minefield.

"I don't care about them," he lied finally, swallowing the last bite of her sandwich. "I care about you. I'm--"

Damn her for making him say it.

"--sorry, alright?"
                   one step forward,
two steps back,
he’s lost in the crowd

Camilla Carstairs

(08/04/2018 at 15:45)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
“Don’t lie,” Her tone was not accusatory, instead, it sounded like a simple request - a plea. Camilla hated liars, but she did not want to hate Jeremiah Smallweed for something as meaningless as a white lie.

Above all, he was a friend - maybe, she was no longer sure.

“Can I ask you something?” She did not wait for his answer. “Why is not just one girl enough for you?” She arched both brows, expectant blue eyes fixed on him.
IT'S SUCH A SHAME,

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/04/2018 at 16:03)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
She saw right through it, through him, of course.

And he was sure, too, that she knew exactly what she was doing when she asked him her question; it didn't feel as simple, nor as innocent, as she made it sound.

Several metaphorical mines exploded all at once. He managed not to wince.

"You can't tell me to keep my private life private, and then ask me about it. That ain't how it works."
« Last Edit: 08/04/2018 at 20:12 by Jeremiah Smallweed »
juliet, the dice was loaded from the start
and I bet, and you exploded into my heart
I can't do everythin' but I'd do anythin' for you
I can't do anythin' except be in love with you

Camilla Carstairs

(08/05/2018 at 08:58)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
“And how does it work then?” She propped both elbows on the table, stubbornly determined to get an answer to her question. It was not jealousy, she told herself, only curiosity.

(It wasn’t jealousy, it wasn’t - a statement followed by a silent interrogation mark inside her head).

She put the apple down. “I ask and you lie or I ask and you say nothing, is that how?”
RAW
just wanna be, just wanna be

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/05/2018 at 09:31)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"Jesus, Camilla." He raked a hand through his hair. "I already said I'm sorry. What else d'ya want from me?"
oh, you can fit me inside the necklace you got when you were sixteen
next to your heartbeat where I should be, keep it deep within your soul
and if you hurt me, well, that's okay, baby, only words bleed

Camilla Carstairs

(08/05/2018 at 10:41)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
And when she spoke, it was the sheer truth, as always.

“I don’t know.” She didn’t want to know.
IT'S SUCH A SHAME,

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/05/2018 at 10:56)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
It felt like they were going in circles.

Jeremiah sighed. "I'll see you later, or somethin'."

He walked away.

thursday 15 july 1954
coming up to eleven pm, probably
by the entrance to koonalda cave

He was standing by the mouth of the cave, a cigarette in hand, and looking out onto Lake Alexandrina. It was more beautiful at night, with glassy waters, and no raucous children sending violent ripples shattering across its surface.

He wondered vaguely what Virtue Hir was doing right now, roughly an hour and a half since she'd slipped out of his cabin, leaving her perfume behind.

He didn't see Camilla Carstairs approaching until she was only a metre or so away. "You're out late."

Camilla Carstairs

(08/05/2018 at 11:11)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
Summer was her favorite season, the wide variety of fruits she could eat being the main reason. There was a paper bag on her hand, cherries inside it and the figure of Jeremiah Smallweed standing just a few meters away from her.

She had two options, she chose the one that seemed like the most stupid one - to walk towards him.

“I hope you like cherries, ‘cause that’s all I have.”

Jeremiah Smallweed

(08/05/2018 at 11:34)
  • C1D1T1S2
    • View Profile
"Sure," he nodded, partly because cherries were a surprising and welcome change from apples, but mostly because he didn't want to piss her off just two sentences into the conversation.

The end of his cigarette glowed in the darkness.

"You wanna stay out here or go in?"
                   one step forward,
two steps back,
he’s lost in the crowd

Camilla Carstairs

(08/05/2018 at 13:47)
  • Seventh Year
  • C6D12T6S10
    • View Profile
“It’s nice outside.”

She sat down, putting the bag by her side, a silent invitation for him to join her. “You can stay,” She grabbed a single cherry, “unless someone’s waiting for you inside.” then tossed it inside her mouth.

(And by someone, she obviously meant a girl.)
RAW
just wanna be, just wanna be