Participate in our 20th birthday challenge!

Author Topic: Summer days drifting away | Brulia snaps  (Read 709 times)

* Julia Cole

(08/08/2018 at 21:28)
  • Magizoologist + Bartender
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
“Bravo! That was incredible, Julia. You’ve still got it in you.”

Julia rolled her eyes a little. “What’s incredible is how badly I mucked that up. I’m definitely out of practice.”

Brick began playing. It started out very simple. But in no time, his fingers were quickly dancing around the keys in a way she never could. She rested her head on his shoulder. She was rather envious of his gift, but she could listen to him play all day. It reminded her of her parents. Her mum snuggled up to her dad while he played.

The song came to an end, though felt unfinished. She looked up at his eyes. “Why do you call it a stupid magic trick? It’s a nice gift to have.”

I don't give a damn 'bout my
BAD REPUTATION

* Brick Dumay

(08/08/2018 at 22:21)
  • Junior Healer - Pediatrics
  • C8D7T5S5
    • View Profile
He leaned back against her, "Imagine every time you lifted your wand in a duel, the wand automatically threw spells you don't even know- you can only cast spells your opponent knows.  You don't have control, you can't tell it not to.  If you're engaged in the duel, you're doing it absolutely ruthlessly.  Your opponents most damaging spells used against them."

He plinked at the keys, and within the first several notes, this began to emerge.  He spoke while playing, "I don't even know how to play- you can't teach me, because as soon as you engage, I know all your skills and the most efficient way of hitting you with them.  And then, when I'm done... I still don't know how to play.  That's stupid.  Not my fault, not in my control- but still stupid."

A faster run, a minor key- exactly what he was trying to say, but so much more succinct that he let it do the work for him.  Another change, a little whimsy with plinked notes up high.  In the end, a grand pause, a restatement of the melody, and an ending.

He sighed, "Its beautiful and I love it for what it is.  Borrowed talent from you, given back to you in a way my own words could never express.  I'm not very good at expressing feelings, Julia... in case you didn't notice."  This last part was said with a smile in his voice, a little self-depreciation to let her know that he wasn't getting all serious all of a sudden.
.  .  .
Learn how to play the game

* Julia Cole

(08/09/2018 at 02:29)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
Even as he complained about his ‘stupid magic trick’, his fingers went to work on the ivories, sounding nearly as melancholy as him. And then it picked up into a happy gay tune.

Julia chuckled at the tune that came out of the piano. It was very whimsical, and happy. However, the end it got sorrowful again.

“... given back to you in a way my own words could never express. I’m not very good at expressing feelings, Julia… in case you didn’t notice.”

Julia smiled at him. “Are any of us, honestly?” She laid her hands out on the keys, and turned back to Brick. “But that’s the thing, Brick. You play just how you feel. I can only use songs I know to convey my feelings. I can’t express as well as you can. I’m limited.”

But I can still try my best.

Her fingers started playing the song soft and slow, as she got the feel for it again. She’d played this song hundreds of times. It had been her favorite song when she was younger. Back when she wanted love and romance. Perhaps she still did.

Besides a couple small flubs at the beginning, her fingers quickly picked up on the familiar tune. As they moved, she focused on the melody, how it made her feel. The tune grew louder, and louder, so much she was basically screaming her feelings to him. That love, that romance, she wanted that.

She played softer. Less shouting now. Now kindly asking. Hoping he felt the same way, hoping he wanted her, and her alone. Hoping he’d understand what she was trying to say without making her actually say it.
-------------
I'm dancing on my own
I make the moves up as I go.
---------------

* Brick Dumay

(08/09/2018 at 04:04)
  • C8D7T5S5
    • View Profile
It felt like it came from the middle of her being, the central core of her soul.  Watching her play was like watching a dancer, a painter, a lover.  There were no words to her song, but they spoke to him still.  And as lovely the sentiment, the emotions behind them... he still longed to hear the words.

It was a frustrated sort of song- the phrasing was turned inward, like an inner conflict- like words she wanted to say but just couldn't.  It was a pretty song, expressive and delightful, expressing true feelings- but it was self-reflective.  There was a sadness in it, a yearning to exclaim it, yelling it, screaming it.  It was like that with the Inner Bricks- sometimes their screams echoed through his mind, left a ringing in his mind's ear.

Until it was spoken aloud, though, it wasn't real.  A thousand agreements, a thousand protests, a thousand declarations of love- meant nothing until they were spoken aloud.  This, the hidden part of Julia Cole, was what he had fallen in love with in the first place.  Her capacity for love.  Yes, she was remarkably pretty, and incredibly skilled, and he loved her kisses and caresses.  He loved this Julia, the reflective, the quiet, the passionate parts she kept hidden.

He wanted all of her.  When her song ended, when her fingers ceased striving, he reached for them.  Took both hands in his.  Pulled them up and kissed them- gratitude for them and all they did.  All they said that she couldn't say.

Don't say it, Brick.  She doesn't want to hear about your feelings.  This isn't about you.

His kisses to her fingers were tender, too much so to be anything but a lead-on.  He wanted to tell her.  To declare everything to her (once again) and leave nothing for her to question.  But she didn't want undying devotion.  She probably didn't even want a boyfriend.

Not a husband. Not a father for future children she didn't want and he couldn't even imagine.  He had nothing to offer her but himself.  Flawed.  Imperfect.  Self-depreciating.  This was a lonely path, together, giving what he had to her and getting nothing in return.

Except moments like this- the tender moments when her guard let down, and he caught a glimpse of her heart.  She was elusive.

And that made it all worthwhile.  "I need to kiss you now. Or I'll bust."  He wanted to do so much more than kiss her.  A little smirk, "Or worse... talk."

And so he did.
.  .  .

* Julia Cole

(08/13/2018 at 23:43)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
July 11. Dinnertime.
Sydney Town Hall.

After her brief talk with Lecia, Julia had spent some time in her room, thinking things over. She grabbed a hasty lunch, then laid out by the river, thinking some more. Like how did Lecia know they were dating so soon? She hadn’t told anyone.

She did notice Brick had been missing from breakfast and lunch the previous day. Lecia had missed all the mealtimes. Brick wouldn’t have gone to her right after they started dating, would he have? No, he wasn’t like that.

Or was he? He had snogged someone who was in a relationship, which she thought he’d never do. Not after Pax had done it to her. Now she was just being paranoid. Lecia, who knows where she was. Brick was probably just tired from camping. It was probably all fine.

But still, Lecia had been pretty peeved that Julia was with Brick, after suggesting several times that the two of them should get together.

Julia sat next to Brick with her food.

“Say… Have you talked to Lecia lately? She was acting strange earlier.”
-------------
I'm dancing on my own
---------------

* Brick Dumay

(08/14/2018 at 00:55)
  • C8D7T5S5
    • View Profile
11 July, 1954.
Sydney Town Hall.
Dinner.

Dinner was a necessity- he'd gone without a real meal for a couple of days now, and he seriously needed the nutrients.  Between the love and the tears and the climbing and physical activities and the mental fatigue of the past few days all catching up with him, he was hungry.

After only a few minutes of food bliss, his girlfriend showed up.

His girlfriend.  The thought made him smile from the inside out.  She sat, and he smiled at her- reached out for her hand, her leg- to touch her as if to prove she were real.  He'd have leaned in to give her a kiss, but he had his mouth full.

She must have had something on her mind, "Say... have you talked to Lecia lately?  She was acting strange earlier."

He didn't choke.  He didn't swallow hard, or make any outward motion that there was anything out of the ordinary at all.  He did make a noise indicating that he had something to say, but not not until he was done with this bite of food.

Eventually, "For a minute or two?  Down at the beach.  She was looking for her love."  All of it, technically true.  He swiveled his head, giving the room a once-over.  Satisfied in the construction in his head, "Where is that Newton, anyway?  You don't suppose they..." a leading question, with a little wraggly-eyebrows.

He hoped she was.  For her own sake, she deserved to be happy.  To get everything she wanted.  He hoped.

He offered Julia a dinner roll, "Strange, how?  I hope she's alright?"
« Last Edit: 08/14/2018 at 01:13 by Brick Dumay »
.  .  .

* Julia Cole

(08/14/2018 at 02:39)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
“Where is that Newton, anyway? You don’t suppose they…”

Julia nearly spit out her food trying to repress a laugh. “I… don’t think so,” she said, still covering her mouth.

“Strange, how? I hope she’s alright?”

Once Julia successfully swallowed her food, she accepted the roll. She propped her elbow on the table and rested her chin in her hand, keeping her eyes on him.

“Well… I’ve only seen her act that way once. When she blamed me for ruining her chances with someone. But that can’t be the case, since she does have a boyfriend, and you’re the only person I’ve been snogging.”

She took a bite of the roll, still not straying from his eyes. “Weird, isn’t it?”
I'd rather break my heart
Than risk breaking yours

* Brick Dumay

(08/14/2018 at 13:03)
  • C8D7T5S5
    • View Profile
He laughed when she stifled hers, pausing a minute before stabbing a small forkful and re-stuffing his face.  She wasn't expecting him to be so flippant about Lecia and Newton- an advantage.  He was guilty of nothing but a conversation and a smile, a shared memory with someone.  Where (or when) that memory came from was immaterial- he'd been a free man then.

When he was ready to go on, "Probably had something to do with Dad..." he caught himself, "...er, her Dad.  That whole thing with her sister and their inheritance... her family's a bit of a mess sometimes- probably got her brain tied up in knots."

It had nothing to do with the letter she'd received, or the inheritance- yesterday had been his Wedding Day in the other universe, to Lecia.  He'd spent a great night and the better part of the next morning with Julia in this universe.

He'd seen Lecia- briefly, last night- when Jere brought her into the cabin, unable to walk on her own.  Yes, he knew that her being upset was because of him.  It wasn't fair- he wasn't upset that she had a boyfriend, why should she be upset about him and Julia?  He looked in Julia's eyes, "Howard's a good healer, but he can be overbearing."  A hitch as he realized his mistake, You idiot!  How do you know that name?  Relax Brick.  Brenda.

He made a face as if clearing something from his teeth, "Lecia's Dad is one of the healers that's treating my sister in St. Mungo's.  Lec and me have talked about him quite a bit."  An awkward silence.

A change of subject, "Hey, I was thinking about going to watch the aurora australis- someone told me the bluff a bit south of here has a great view of them- if they show up.  We... we kinda missed them the other night."  A smirk, as he reached out a foot to catch her attention, a little footsie, a little nudge.  "Interested?  Maybe bring your guitar?  It... it'll be fun."
.  .  .

* Julia Cole

(08/15/2018 at 02:51)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
“Probably had something to do with Dad…”

What did his dad have to do with it?

“...er, her Dad.”

She took a bite of the roll, still focusing on him. She knew he was wrong. But she wasn’t sure if he knew that. She studied him, and the answers he gave.

He changed the subject. There was a chance he didn’t know that Lecia had issues with them being together. That, or he was hiding something. If he was, she’d find out eventually.

She nodded, a small smile on her face. For now, she could at least pretend she believed him. But she still wasn’t sure about things. She’d just have to keep an eye out.

“Sure, sounds like fun.”
I'd rather break my heart
Than risk breaking yours

* Brick Dumay

(08/16/2018 at 09:36)
  • C8D7T5S5
    • View Profile
11 July, 1954.
The Bluff South of Camp.
Night.  Clear sky.

On a very clear night, under just the right circumstances, the aurora borealis could be seen from the highest ramparts of Hogwarts Castle.  Off in the distance by the horizon far north.

Sitting here, now on their heads- the opposite side of the globe in a very real sense- Brick sat back and watched- waited- for the Southern Sky to light up.  The aurora australis was supposed to be just as pretty, just as mysterious and breathtaking.  He turned his head for a moment- to catch a glimpse into her sparkling blue eyes even in the darkness of the night.  The wind was blowing, which played havok with little wisps of hair, but he didn't care.

Some things are more beautiful than the Southern Lights.  Than any natural phenomenon.  He'd watched her fidget earlier today- he'd watched her fidget like this before, usually in school towards the end of class just before she'd make a run for the rooftops.

"Julia?" he broke the quiet, "If... if you want to smoke, don't let me stop you.  I don't mind, really."  It was something he'd been thinking about for a long time- since before October, really.  He wanted her to be happy, and if she opted to do something- or not to do something- on his account alone, it wasn't something he wanted.

She liked it or she wouldn't do it.  He would accept it for what it was and love her anyway.  "Or maybe play us a song?"
.  .  .

* Julia Cole

(08/16/2018 at 17:27)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
The sky was beautiful, but she could help but wonder how accurate it was. One day she’d see it for real, not just the illusion of it. But she still had two more years of school left, and then the world was hers.

Her fingers wrapped around his as she looked up at the sky. “Julia?” She turned to him.

“If… if you want to smoke, don’t let me stop you. I don’t mind, really.”

She gave him a confused look. It seemed a rather random statement. She was good now, anyway.

“Or maybe play us a song?”

She smiled. She hadn’t played the guitar in a while, either. Luckily she had packed it at the bottom of her trunk for camp. She had considered not bringing it at all. She pulled out the guitar and held it in her lap, trying to think of a good song that she still remembered.

She looked up at the stars, the lights, and a song came to mind. Soon, her fingers got to work, playing an older tune. It was a good song for star-gazing.
I told you I was trouble
You know that I'm no good

* Brick Dumay

(08/17/2018 at 01:11)
  • C8D7T5S5
    • View Profile
It had been random, at least in his telling.  It wasn't really about cigarettes.  It wasn't permission- he wouldn't dare impose such things on her- it was an acceptance of her nature.  She was going to want to do things he wasn't comfortable with.  She was going to want freedom.  To drink.  To smoke.  To dance and have fun even when he didn't want to.

He hadn't come out and said it- too wordy.  Too deep.  But he'd hoped his little statement was enough.  That she'd figure it out.  He wanted her free to be who she was.  He never meant to diminish her.

She played her song, and he gave her his undivided attention.  It was light, a little lilting rhythm, a little tune he found instantly recognizable. even if he couldn't place it.  He swayed with the tune, his head bobbing with the rhythm, his smile growing as the song progressed.  "Bravo!" he exclaimed when she'd finished, and reached for her to pull her into a hug.

And a kiss.

And they were out here to look at stars and a natural phenomenon.  He looked her in the eyes, and saw- that's exactly what she was.  A moment later, "May I?"  He was referring to the guitar.
.  .  .

* Julia Cole

(08/17/2018 at 01:24)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
She finished up her tune, hoping he didn't read too much into it. She wasn't even sure if he knew the song. But she was sure if he did, especially with some of the words in it, he might get the wrong impression.

He kissed her after the song, then asked for the guitar. She handed it over, eager to see what he would play. Luckily her song hadn't made him get mushy or anything.

After she handed the guitar over, she leaned back on the grass and stared at the lights, just thinking.
-------------
I'm dancing on my own
---------------

* Brick Dumay

(08/17/2018 at 03:22)
  • C8D7T5S5
    • View Profile
For the moment, anyway, his emotions were directed.  He was learning, slowly but surely, that what he did meant more to her than what he said.  He'd appreciated him more, he figured, back when he didn't speak.

But no, that wasn't right- he'd left her wanting, so she'd sought it elsewhere.  He lacked confidence.

Fortunately for him, he could borrow hers for a while.  He went to work on the pegs first, giving measured turns and strumming each string in turn.  Detuning the guitar.  For a moment- just a moment, his attention was on the instrument and not on her, not on the sky or anything else.

His song; first chord was an abstract painting of sound, a cacapohony that was all color and no melody.  A background, a groundwork, a foundation to build upon.  A lick both wild and unscripted; a little percussion as his hand wobbled and tapped at the wood.  An introduction.

He stopped paying attention to the guitar once he started in earnest.  Rhythm, melody, reaching to retune strings even as they sang out- looking at her.  Playing for her.  To her.

About her.

He sang, his voice imperfect and scratchy, matching the scratch of the sliding strings, the scratch across the wood with his fingernails for effect.

"Born in your tiny prison cell,
A million times smaller than anyone.
One single drop and you've risen up
Unafraid of the dark."

On he played, humming and singing and pleading with his eyes what his words couldn't convey. The last verse:
"Weakness is not your weakness
nah nah nah...
You are what you grow into,
You're not what you were."

And she wasn't.  She was not the girl she'd been before.  The girl he'd fallen for.  Dated.  Lost.  But he loved her anyway.  All he needed to make the picture idyllic, to make a perfect image for her reaction, would be for the southern lights to appear behind her.  But sadly, he did not see them.

They were behind him.
.  .  .

Tags: