Give our summer workshops a go!

Author Topic: prompt one: memories of joy  (Read 534 times)

Mia Green

(04/01/2018 at 01:26)
  • Magical Games & Sports Professor
  • C19D10T16S17
  • Player of the Summer ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
long story short
i survived

Amos Feinbary

(04/18/2018 at 20:36)
  • Hogwarts Portrait
    • View Profile
(I thought it appropriate to bring Amos in here to discuss your padlet)

The Premise: A visual story spreading out like loose leaves across a field.  The central theme (literally, it's the center of the padlet) reminds us to make memories.

The Promise: This 33,000 word (33 image) story reveals so much of what is important.  The three faces at the top center create a focus- the protagonists.  Images of cityscapes, countryscapes, and landmarks abound; sprinkled with more reminders and encouragements.  One can imagine heading out from the center in any direction and finding those adventures, those memories out there waiting to be had that cannot be taken away.  The 'Family' image is especially poignant, connected directly to the line of three faces.

The Process: The padlet tells the story in a non-narrative fashion.  You can begin on any image and move to any image, as often as you like- the potential stories are limitless.  As a Portrait, Amos would visit each and every one, find a good place to see Outside, and wave to the crowd.  He, like the casual viewer, would take the ideas of this and make it his own.

Therein lies the rub- enjoying this story involves work.  In more traditional narratives, we are led down the garden path from Point A to Point B to Point C.  If found myself trying to do just that- create linear stories through the maze, only to find myself stopping- missing the point.

This 33-image work is ONE work.  It encompasses ALL of those images into one whole.  Read as a single, 1000-word image, it gains a clarity of intention: a reminder to live, to love, to create memories.  A truly fine piece!

The Passing Thought: I used the filter of Amos to help me with this, because I am not a visual-learner like that.  I have ADD, and I find myself getting too distracted by what's going on in the next frame to really give attention to the frame I'm on.  That said, Amos makes it pretty clear- this padlet reveals Mia and Company in ways words never could.  Bravo!

Bravissimo!

Tags: