Feel inspired? Check out our Summer Workshops!

Author Topic: helpless | calrina snaps  (Read 214 times)

Calvin Sharppe

(04/27/2018 at 03:20)
  • Fifth Year
  • C8D4T5S6
  • Player of the Summer ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
This was one of the very few times Calvin used a broom that was not his own. The way the broom's speed and balance felt unfamiliar to him. And while he had given Rina an edge by pulling back from going at his top speed, he wasn't sure that he would have been able to do well at all in a game with such equipment. Biting down on his bottom lip, Calvin maneuvered the handle as best he could, rising up the mountain in a jagged manner until he reached the top to view his hard work.

Now that the sun was beginning to set, the orange and pink hues heightened the shadows of the rocky boulders surrounding them and made a normal picnic setup look blurred and dreamy.

Dismounting from the broom and setting it aside for their eventual descent, Calvin scratched his head nervously. "So-uh," His tone was uneasy, unsure of what Rina would think. Cal never did stuff like this and Marina always mocked him for treating her too much like a lady. Perhaps she would mock him for this as well. "What'd you think?" There was a slight silence as the girl's eyes took in the sight before looking back to him.

"You did this?"

"Hard to imagine, right?" he teased himself, an attempt to lighten the mood, a reflex he went back to over and over again in uncomfortable situations. Hands found themselves picking at his cuticles (and there was no mum to tell him not to). His eyes searched hers for an indicator of just how much more mockery of himself he was to make.
RECKLESS

maybe i might get a little

Marina Lamont

(04/27/2018 at 14:25)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D5T9S6
  • ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week
    • View Profile
"What'd you think?"

She knew her stunned silence must be too much for him, and even when she finally did speak, neither her words nor her wide eyed visage could betray what she thought of all his handiwork. Marina had never pegged Cal as one for such grand romantic gestures, but now that it was all laid out in front of her, she slowly realised that he did fit the profile: he was always buying his friends gifts and, much like her, he always needed something to keep busy, and the something in question usually happened outdoors.

Even once that had been processed, the fact remained that Marina had never expected such things to be done for her. Her break up with Zak, long ago as it was, had left her bitter and cynical when it came to romance. She'd gone from crushing on every boy in her vicinity to cursing off love as a doomed illusion like a bitter and cynical old spinster.

With Calvin, now more than every she had everything to reevaluate, to rediscover.

For some reason, the mere thought of that was absolutely terrifying.

Finally, she pulled the broom out from between her legs and took a few more steps toward his set up. This all felt like a dream, with the clouds so close and the sun bathing the world in an ethereal glow. Her ears felt a bit blocked and she thought she could hear her own racing heartbeat.

Without turning to look at him, because with so many confusing emotions swirling around her mind, she knew her throat would knot before she felt it twist, she knew her eyes would well before she felt them sting, Marina said, "I love it!"

And then, "I love -" But there she stopped, briefly, for she'd been about to say something else entirely, but it was far too soon to say that and she knew it was not yet quite true.

"I love it." She said again, instead.
I set my sail

Fly
the wind it will take me
Back to my home, sweet home

Calvin Sharppe

(04/29/2018 at 21:19)
  • Fifth Year
  • C8D4T5S6
    • View Profile
Waiting was so hard. Waiting as Rina took in the sight, Calvin thought to all those students who sat at libraries like stone statues, their eyes the only part of their body which moved as they read. And Cal could only wonder, how? How could they stay so still, what were they seeing that was so fascinating and interesting that he couldn’t see in half, a quarter of the time? Similarly, he wondered what Rina saw that gave her such pause from their usual outings. His hands began tugging and twisting the ends of his shirt, an antsy fidget that moved from his shirt to underneath his nails.

He breathed out a sigh of relief finally after what seemed like eternity, not realizing just how much he had been anticipating her potentially critical words. His dad always pointed out the flaws of what he saw, how Cal could improve, what could be made better. All the adults in his life did that. He almost began to get used to it. “You almost got me scared for a second.” Teasing and jests were a natural part of their relationship; Calvin couldn’t count the number of times Rina touted her superiority in Quidditch, school, general life skills. But this felt separate, different. The effort put in here wasn’t comparable and to hear he executed his plans well.

"I love -"..."I love it."

A wider grin slowly grew, Calvin seeing the brightest in Rina’s eyes. While it was probably true, Calvin most definitely was hit harder with infatuation than Rina, Cal wasn’t in love with her. Yet. He was only getting the hang of being in a relationship, functioning with someone by his side as a default instead of going at everything solo or with a group of friends. But he understood the sentiment Rina was trying to convey and instead of letting the words linger for too long he hooked his arm around her and began to lead them closer to the center of the campsite. “C’mon, let’s eat before the ants get to all the good food I stole.”
RECKLESS

Marina Lamont

(04/30/2018 at 14:40)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D5T9S6
  • ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Marina wasn't accustomed to being at a loss for words. Her flow usually went the other way around, in a way where she'd say the first thing that came to mind and then mull over her words for days to come, wondering if she might have been able to say something nicer or wittier, or if her phrasing might have been offensive. Silence was more of a rarity, and yet with all the curveballs Calvin had been throwing at her this summer, it was starting to become more and more of a regularity.

The thing was, Marina wasn't accustomed to being doted upon by anyone besides her mother. And when it came to the latter, she'd much rather brush off the maternal coddling in favor of going back outside to collect more scrapes and more bruises for Elena to stress about. The attention that Cal was giving Marina now was in no way comparable to that, and so it was hard to decide how to react to it at all. Part of her wanted to brush it off, to tell him she didn't need it, nor did she deserve it. Another part of her wanted to take wholehearted advantage of it, to bask in the affections of someone who, by some miracle, had chosen to like her above everybody else.

Oscillating between the two extremes, Marina stepped tentatively forward as he lead her toward the food. Still undecided about how she felt, and still unsure about whether it was all just a dream, she decided she'd play this one by ear, without a map nor a compass. Calvin deserved better than an audience so busy worrying about when or why to clap that she missed out on half the spectacle.

"You stole the food?" Through the muddled mess of her emotions, Marina managed a snicker. Somehow, the revelation took some weight off of her shoulders. It shouldn't have come as a surprise, after all, as she could hardly imagine Calvin cooking away in the kitchens all day - and if he had, the result might not have looked so delicious. And though it didn't take anything away from the romance of the setup, it certainly added some much needed levity to her own perception of it.

"Alright, let's take a look at this haul!" She reluctantly detached her arm from his to sit down on the checkered blanket. Reaching out to lift the wicker flap, Marina peered inside.
I put my armour on, show you how strong I am
I put my armour on, I'll show you that I am
— I'm unstoppable

Calvin Sharppe

(05/02/2018 at 01:32)
  • Fifth Year
  • C8D4T5S6
    • View Profile
When Calvin was busy scrounging up good eats on the Hogwarts ground floor kitchen or pilfering through the eats at the picnic tables, he never thought to try and ever recreate dishes for himself. Using the kitchen as anything but an endless cupboard of good food never occurred to the boy. Back at home, there were chefs and aids to cook the meals three times a day. If no help was present, his mum was the one to take over cooking duties. And the food she made was absolutely divine. So Rina’s query surprised Calvin. He supposed the gesture would have been even greater had he made the food himself. That might be another one on the bucket list; a goal Calvin had for himself but when that feat would be accomplished was anyone’s guess.

"Alright, let's take a look at this haul!"

Eager to show off, Calvin nodded quickly and sat himself down on the red and white blanket, feet sprawled on the cushion between themselves and the hard rocky floor. In the basket had the usual sandwich meats and cold cuts they would usually share after morning Quidditch practice- things that wouldn’t go badly but would satiate their hungry appetites. In addition, tarts and pies of all shapes and sizes. Aiden and Tallulah’s impromptu food fight sparked an idea in Calvin’s head to hoard as many desserts he could find in one basket. Add that alongside plenty of ice butterbeer and Calvin considered the two of them to have a feast. "Dig in!"

He poured the two of them a cup, digging into the food without much prompting and silently chewed as he overlooked the setting sun, oranges and yellows growing deeper and slowly merging into pinks and purples. With a full mouth still chewing, Cal asked, "D'you still have to go back to your mum after this?" 'Will she be mad?' he added silently. Rina had run away from home to come to camp and now that summer was drawing to a close, Calvin knew that this paradise the two had lived in for the last month could not last. Would she be forbidden from leaving her house until school started? Would she, like Vanessa, get her flying privileges taken away? Cal, the one who could do anything and get away with almost everything, found the concept strangely constraining and uncomfortable.
RECKLESS

Tags: 1953 calrina