Welcome to Camp Loki 1955!

Author Topic: The Sore Spot || Vega  (Read 140 times)

* Nashira Nettlebed

(04/10/2018 at 23:57)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
August 2nd
After lunch

Nashira Nettlebed didn't often get emotional, but she'd felt something, as she wrote, swelling at the base of her throat, pressuring against her sinuses, and burning her eyes. She'd fought against it tooth and nail, taking deep breaths in between words. After all, if ever anyone saw her cry she might have to kill the witnesses.

Finally, with sombre finality, Nashira set down her quill and looked over the carefully chosen words written in carefully traced lines.

Father,

It's been a while. We miss you. Nashira's birthday is coming up at the end of the month and there will be a party. We all hope you'll be there.

Nashira

She'd left enough room beneath her own name for both her sisters to sign. She'd weighed the outcomes; it had little hope of succeeding if they didn't all summon him. She'd even kept the text clean, pithy, succinct, to the point. Free of any emotional fluffery. It was just a formal invitation with no strings susceptible of scaring the man away (again).

Resolved that she would see her father again by the end of the month, Nashira Nettlebed set out to find Vega.

She found her at the infirmary, of course.

"Vega," Said Nashira, uncharacteristically hesitant as she stepped forward, the folded parchment carried by both hands, gently so as not to bend the paper in any way.
if I win the lottery you'll never see me again
i'll be downtown

see you around

* Vega Nettlebed

(04/23/2018 at 11:10)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D6T4S5
    • View Profile
She was mashing up Fluxweed when Nashira arrived.

Vega felt her sister's presence before the girl spoke, but didn't bother looking up to confirm. The sound of her name just a moment later proved her suspicions, though she was too busy concocting her latest experiment to notice the tremor in Nash's tone.

"Nashira," she answered, still focused on the task at hand. Three more smashes of the pestle against the green leaves; a dash of dandelion juice; another dash and a half. She went back to mashing again. The green pulp began to take on a rather more slimy nature, sloshing against the sides of the bowl.

Abruptly, but not unkindly, as she turned away from the table towards a high shelf, Vega continued, "What do you want? Are you ill?"

* Nashira Nettlebed

(04/24/2018 at 15:02)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
It was annoying, that way of speaking so typical of Vega Nettlebed, where she'd sound both caring and impatient at the same time. Nash supposed she must employ her own haughty tones, too, every now and then, when she spoke to her sisters. But that was beside the point; she wasn't speaking like that now. This was too important.

"I'm not ill," She answered quickly. Her fingers shifted across the fold of the letter, though she remained careful to avoid applying too much pressure. What Nash held was a treasure. A key. The one thing that might bring their father back into her life, even if only for an evening.

She wished Vega would just drop whatever yucky green stuff she was mashing up and pay attention to her. This was an important matter they had to discuss. Unfortunately, Nash couldn't exactly tell her to stop playing with her potions, because that would automatically antagonize her sister, and an antagonistic Vega was a Vega who would definitely not be signing her letter.

So, instead, Nashira took a deep breath, plastered a sweet smile upon her face, and extended the letter to Vega. "Could you sign this?" She asked, adding honey to her usually terse tones. "And, er, please don't get any of that green stuff on it."
i'll be downtown

see you around

* Vega Nettlebed

(05/02/2018 at 17:27)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D6T4S5
    • View Profile
When she turned back around, her hands full of dried Flobberworms, Nashira was brandishing a piece of parchment in her face.

"Could you sign this?"

She sounded polite, for once. Too polite. Suspiciously polite.

Vega narrowed her eyes at her sister. She dropped her Flobberworms into her bowl and began to mince them into her concoction. "What is it? Read it to me, I can't very well hold it now, can I? And--" the Gryffindor gave a heavy sigh. She didn't expect Nashira Nettlebed to appreciate the charms of Potion-making, for it was far too subtle a science for her brash tendencies. Still, she didn't have to be so...so Nash about it.

"--it's not green stuff, it's Fluxweed!"

* Nashira Nettlebed

(05/03/2018 at 17:01)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D5T5S5
    • View Profile
Perhaps it might have been easier for Nashira to forge her sister's signature than to ask for it during what was obviously a terrible moment. But it was too late to back out now. Thankfully, diplomacy was one of Nash's stronger suits, and she had to keep strong in her faith that she was probably the only person alive who could talk someone like Vega into something like inviting Atlas Nettlebed back into their lives, it was her.

Holding back the urge to point out that whatever it was called, her fluxweed was still decidedly green, Nashira instead rolled her shoulders a little straighter and flicked her long hair back as she carefully unfolded the letter.

"It says," She began, clearing her throat softly, peering just a tad nervously at her busy sister before continuing. "Father, it's been a while." Another nervous flick of the eyes to watch out for Vega's reaction. "We miss you. Nashira's birthday is coming up at the end of the month and there will be a party. We all hope you'll be there."

Carefully, slowly, she lowered the letter, eyes fully upon Vega, now, anticipating a storm. "And then I'd like all of us to sign at the bottom. You, me, Maia, Rana."
i'll be downtown

see you around

* Vega Nettlebed

(05/14/2018 at 20:23)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6D6T4S5
    • View Profile
She was fine all the way up until Nashira's third word.

"Father,"

She'd heard enough already, and opened her mouth to tell her sister so, but in true Nashira Nettlebed fashion, the younger girl was ploughing ahead, as if she knew exactly what Vega's reaction was going to be.

Vega listened in stubborn silence. The force with which she began to pulverise her Flobberworms grew more and more intense with every passing second, every extra word that Nash spoke.

When she finally got to the end -- and it felt like forever -- Vega scowled. She opened her mouth. And then she gave a speech of her own. "If you even thought for a second that I was going to sign that, you're a lot stupider than you look, Nashira. Get it into your head, why don't you? He doesn't miss us. He doesn't want to be at your stupid party any more than anybody else does. I know that, for a fact. So just..."

She slammed the pestle into the bowl with such force that its side began to crack.

"Get out."

fin.

Tags: