Give our summer workshops a go!

Author Topic: Ahoy, mateys! (Open)  (Read 201 times)

Livia Thatcher

(04/04/2018 at 06:39)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6 D5 T4 S5
    • View Profile
First Morning of Camp
Older Girls' Cabin

Livvy let her trunk thump onto the floor as she stared around the cabin at the empty bunks. She didn’t see any obvious nameplates or anything, so she figured she was just supposed to choose. She really didn’t want to be the first to choose, but nobody else was here yet even though she was definitely in the correct cabin. What if they already knew each other and wanted certain beds? What if the older girls were supposed to get first pick? This would be her first encounter with her future classmates and she didn’t want to start out by making enemies. She was determined to have a better experience here than at Ilvermorny.

She sighed and shoved her truck over to the nearest bed. It wasn’t too close to the door or window, so she figured it wasn’t a prime location. The bunks didn’t look especially comfortable, but she had been expecting things to be a little…well, rough. It was a camp after all. Of course, the sort of rough she had expected was tents or leaky cabins. Her mother had said it was a different camp than the Hogwarts students had attended in her youth, but had still given her a rundown of what to expect. Pirate ships had not been anywhere in that description. Nor had cafeterias inside huge hollow trees.  The whole purpose of her mother telling her all about camp was to make her feel better about going into a totally new situation. Nearly everything looked different than she had expected. This was not a particularly auspicious beginning to her new life.

Lecia Dorset

(04/08/2018 at 06:58)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C13D6T7S6
    • View Profile
She huffed and puffed. The trunk she was currently dragging -and that had possibly scratched the shiny surface of the boat's deck, yup, Lucian was going to kill her- was heavy and not really quite practical to tote around.

That was the part she didn't like about Camp Loki, the no magic allowed part, it was dumb. So after struggling with carrying her things all the way into the girls dormitories, Lecia was sweaty and her arms and legs ached. Upon entering she saw a girl about her age was already there but she didn't recognize her. She must be new.

The good thing was that they appeared to be the first ones there and so Lecia didn't waste any time in choosing a bed that was next to a window, she simply needed a window to look out from. Fel had even let her hog the window at their dorm since first year, she knew how much her friend missed the outdoors, therefore she was gracious enough as to give up her windows privileges.

Throwing her wand on the bed and then plopping herself on it, head hanging out the long edge of the bed, she addressed the newcomer while looking at her upside down.  "Hello!" She said brightly, "You must be new, I'm Lecia, Lecia Dorset," she then turned on her belly and propped her head on her crossed arms, "It's mighty hot out, thank Godric! I was half expecting another snowy summer. What's your name?"
You are my sweetest downfall.

- Regina Spektor -

Livia Thatcher

(04/21/2018 at 03:15)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6 D5 T4 S5
    • View Profile
Livia heard the scraping sound of an approaching trunk, so she had a few moments to compose herself and prepare to meet her new cabin mate. She smoothed her hair and robes and mentally prepared her American accent for her first meeting with another student. She had to make a good impression.

The student slowly came into view, ponderously dragging a large trunk. Livvy wasn’t quite sure where to start, so she just stared stupidly as the girl plopped herself onto a bed and hung over the edge. This girl must not be new, because she seemed quite comfortable with her surroundings. Livvy envied her.

She put on her best smile and tried not to sound as uncertain as she felt.

“Yes, it’s my first time at camp. I’m Livia Thatcher. Why would it be snowy in the summer?”

Lecia Dorset

(04/23/2018 at 20:04)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C13D6T7S6
    • View Profile
“Yes, it’s my first time at camp. I’m Livia Thatcher. Why would it be snowy in the summer?”

That accent. Foreign. Unfamiliar. North American. It pulled at Lecia's heartstrings and she felt that distinctive pang of pain in her heart that came with the slight mention of the continent across the ocean. She hid it though, no need to sour the mood.

"Nice to meet you Livia. Are you from the United States?," she asked with genuine interest, "where from, exactly?" The position she was in was kind of uncomfortable to keep a conversation, so she eagerly sat back up and crossed her legs, keeping a smile and looking at the new girl. She seemed nice.

The second part of the girl's response took Lecia by surprise. Hadn't anyone explained to the girl how Camp Loki worked? Didn't they have similar camps where she came from? Lecia had a hard time wrapping her brain around how things -magical or otherwise- worked outside of Britain.

"Well you see, Camp Loki is never the same. It changes from summer to summer." She began to  explain as she rummaged through her bag until she found her stash of sugar quills. She could share with the girl without the amount being diminished badly enough that Jere would suffer from it.

Offering one of the sweet treats to Livia, she unwrapped her own and popped it in her mouth. "Last year it was a winter wonderland, complete with a candy cane forest and all....but it kind of went against the whole 'summer camp' concept if you ask me."

(Ooc: I'm sorry for the lack of depth and grammatical horrors in this post. My brain is refusing to work in English today!)
You are my sweetest downfall.

- Regina Spektor -

Livia Thatcher

(04/24/2018 at 07:23)
  • Fifth Year
  • C6 D5 T4 S5
    • View Profile
Livia decided she could worry about unpacking later and flopped down to sit on her bed. She hugged her long legs in front of her and stared at the girl…Lecia. She would have to try to remember names if she was going to make friends here. Lecia had turned herself right-side up again, thankfully. It was rather odd making small talk with an upside-down person.

She had to hide her sudden rush of excitement at having her accent identified. It wasn’t exactly hard for her to sound American after living most of the past 8 years there, but it wasn’t natural and being around Brits made it a little more challenging. But she desperately wanted to keep up appearances as the cool new American student, so she made it work. Hopefully most of them didn’t know many Americans, anyway. She had briefly considered the inconvenience of having to keep this up for several years once she started, but figured that was a problem she’d deal with later.

“Yes! Boston, mostly. My mom’s a professor at Ilvermorny. I just moved here with my dad, though, to Oxford. He made me come here. I’ve never been to a summer camp before.”

She hopped up and reached over to grab one of the sugar quills and sucked it thoughtfully.

“Thanks! Well, I suppose that makes sense. I’ve heard Hogwarts is…different, too. I’m glad it’s not winter this year, though. My family usually spends the summer at the beach. We get enough snow in the winter in Massachusetts.”

Tags: