Drop by the Fashion Fair!

Author Topic: Frozen Dreams // Cait  (Read 187 times)

Mia Green

(12/04/2017 at 22:09)
  • Montrose Magpies Keeper
  • C10D8T8S9
  • Player of the Summer ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
First Saturday of July
Early afternoon
Frozen lake and frigid temperatures

There were just so many things to do! So many responsibilities, so many friends (new and old alike), and so many places to explore. From Tinsel Hill to the Felled Field, Mia desperately wanted to be everywhere at once. She needed to help out her campers, wanted to hang out with her friends, practice Quidditch, explore...Sadly, however, there was only one Mia Green.

It was a Saturday, with the entire afternoon and evening ahead of her, and the Gryffindor decided to start the afternoon's activities with a trip to the lake. She hadn't done too much there yet, and it was usually frozen over. Which, of course, gave her the brilliant (or maybe not-so, in the eye of the beholder) idea to go ice skating! She'd never really done it before, and didn't have skates, but how hard could it be? The fifteen-year-old figured she could probably conjure up some skates and she could learn as she went. Easy, right?

Settling down onto a nearby bench and pulling out her wand, Mia got to work on a string of incantations, trying to conjure a pair of ice skates from how she pictured them in her mind. It took a fair bit of time, and several corrections from a more avid skater, but the teenager eventually managed to make up some decent-looking skates. Luckily, though she had a slight struggle with pulling the damn things on, they seemed to fit well enough.

Rather awkwardly, Mia made her way out onto the ice. And almost immediately fell down hard. "Oh, come on!" the lioness murmured to herself, slowly pushing herself back onto her feet again. She really should have brought someone along to help her out with this.

Eventually Mia graduated to stepping across the ice and slowly starting to glide a little bit. She wasn't sure if she was doing it right, but she wasn't falling so that was good--

Just as she fell yet again.

Groaning, Mia opted to sit on the ice for a second rather than getting up immediately. That was when she noticed a certain person she most definitely had not expected to see again, especially this soon.

"Cait?!"
I give love to all of my people

All of my people need
love

I give some

Caitlin McLeod

(12/08/2017 at 02:34)
  • Gryffindor '52
  • C13D6T8S7
  • ['46-'47] Quidditch Champions ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions ['45-'46] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
It was a strange sensation, Caitlin had discovered that much months ago, to approach the end of something.
Her last term, last summer at camp, last weeks of fooling around with no thought for the consequences. The end of something old, the beginning of something new.

Alright, the last one was probably a lie. Firstly, she was already not too bad at thinking about the consequences of her actions and just usually decided to ignore them and second, well… it wasn’t like starting her adult life was likely to do anything to change her.

The same girl, just thrust into unfamiliar territory, new situations and, most of all, a sudden responsibility that she didn’t at all feel ready for.
And, worse, one that she didn’t want.

Especially if it came with being separated from so many friends, people who’d come to be like extended family.
Something that, if she was honest, she just tried not to dwell on for now. There was no point in being glum for a future that had yet to come and waste the present. There had been more than enough of that already.

She was here to have a good time - and besides, wasn’t her future up to her anyway?

A wide grin had settled on her lips by the time she reached the lake, skates in hand, ready to take to the ice. Slipping out of her shoes and into the skates was familiar, almost routine. After all, she did take every opportunity she got to get out on the ice.

A moment, nothing more, and she settled into the familiar gliding motion, accelerating in a moment of cheerful excitement before turning into a pirouette, by now cheering out loud. “Best summer theme ever!” The lioness made no effort whatsoever to conceal her glee, voice carrying easily even as she set out for a first lap around the lake, longing to feel the freezing wind in her hair, even knowing that she would regret her choice when she returned to the cozy warmth of the nativity inn. Briefly, at least.

She didn’t get far, however, before a familiar voice called out over the lake.
“Mia!” Her body was reacting to her demands almost as easily as it would have settled comfortably on a broom as she turned in a narrow curve and sped back, grinning broadly as she stopped next to Mia. “You sound almost surprised to see me.” But that couldn’t be, right? It was so obvious that she’d come to camp. And how could anyone pass on an opportunity for some out of season ice skating?
“Want a hand?”

GRYFFINDOR
Glory Roars

#033 McLeod

Mia Green

(12/19/2017 at 21:46)
  • Montrose Magpies Keeper
  • C10D8T8S9
  • Player of the Summer ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
“You sound almost surprised to see me.”

Mia grinned up at the older girl. "I mean...yeah, I guess I kind of am. Not many graduates usually come back to camp. But now that I think about it..." Why wouldn't Caitlin come back? It was her last chance to have a carefree summer at camp, her last chance to spend time with all her friends and be free before being thrown into the chaos of the real world. Her boyfriend was still here, Mia knew Cait hadn't really been looking forward to leaving forward...It seemed obvious now.

"Want a hand?"

She looked around, laughing at her own rather pathetic predicament. "Definitely, thanks!" she exclaimed, smiling, pushing herself up from the ice with a bit of help. "This skating thing is harder than it looks. Don't know how you pull it off."

From what she'd seen so far, Cait was quite an excellent skater. Obviously, she'd done this before, many times. This was Mia's first time, and she was not faring so well at this moment in time. Which absolutely frustrated her. How could something that looked so simple be so difficult for her? Muggles could do this! And Caitlin was absolutely wonderful at it, from what she'd seen.

Cait was skilled at everything, for Godric's sake. She was an amazing, awe-inspiring Quidditch player, and Mia aspired to be as great of a Chaser as Caitlin McLeod was someday. And she wasn't only a Chaser-she was an incredible Beater as well. And then ice skating, and probably other Muggle sports too. Honestly, Mia might not even be surprised if Cait claimed she could be good at anything. Because really, she probably could.

"How do you skate properly, anyways?" she asked curiously. She could certainly use the help.
look, if you had one shot, one opportunity
to seize everything you ever wanted

o n e  m o m e n t
would you capture it or just let it slip?

Caitlin McLeod

(01/14/2018 at 21:30)
  • Gryffindor '52
  • C13D6T8S7
  • ['46-'47] Quidditch Champions ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions ['45-'46] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
“You know, I never really understood that approach. Why pass on a last summer with your friends and no responsibilities to hold you back? Or at least no more responsibilities than you choose to have.” She grinned cheerfully, not bothered in the least by the added weight pulling her forward for a moment. “It's not like it really matters whether I start pretending to be a responsible adult a few weeks earlier or not, right? The world sure isn't going anywhere.”

Ice skating was something she had grown up with, not something she had ever actually thought about as hard or out of the ordinary. The lake froze over and soon enough people brought out their skates, enjoying a few moments gliding across the frozen surface.
She had fallen plenty of times, now that she actually thought about it, especially in the start but it had never really bothered her. Because for every fall she got plenty of time on the ice and that was second only to flying.
“Lots and lots of practice, really. And besides, once you get the initial idea it's not really all that different from flying. All about balance. How to shift your weight, angle your body and which way to push your skates to get the result you want. But once you got the balance part down, the rest will come in time.” At least for her it had. Seasoned with lots and lots of falls.

She eyed her friend for a moment, looked down at herself, then back to Mia, frowning a little as she tried to recall how she had first learned.
She had been so little back then...
“Alright. First thing you'll want to do is relax. I know it feels weird at first, but so what? It's definitely safer than flying. Bend your knees a little more. You'll want your center of weight to be lower and centered over your skates, not your ankles. Maybe lean forward a little as well, and if you wand you can spread your arms a little for now to help you stabilize, but not too high.”

At that point she stopped, chuckling. That just wouldn't do. “Okay, let me give that another try... theory is all well and good, but I don't think it's what you need.” It went against every instinct, but she forced her body into something that at least resembled Mia's stance. “So. This is more or less how you stand right now. And this...” she dropped back into what felt right and pushed it just a little further to make for a clearer distinction “is how you avoid falling quite so often.” To demonstrate, Caitlin took a few quick strides for either stance, although it was a struggle to go back to the mistakes she was fairly sure every beginner had made at some point. “It's no cure all, of course, but it should help you keep your balance. And the rest is really mostly practice, with a dash of confidence. The ice is fairly good here, but it's still a little uneven, and that will throw you off unless you really push the way you want to go.”
She grinned at the younger girl. “I could stick around a bit if you want?”

GRYFFINDOR
Glory Roars

#033 McLeod