As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: [PROMPT 3] Me, Myself, & I  (Read 167 times)

Clinton Litchfield

(11/30/2017 at 21:13)
  • Director of Camp Loki & Head of Hufflepuff
  • C6D24T7S6
  • ['46-'47] Journalist of the Term ['47-'48] Journalist of the Term [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Summer Workshop Prompt #3
Me, Myself, & I

On this site (and on many other forum based RPGs), we use the third person past tense to tell our stories (e.g. 'he fell down the moving staircase'). This is a very common form, especially when writing prose, and one frequent benefit of using the third person narrative is that you can step outside of your character's headspace and provide an omniscient perspective. This task asks you to do the opposite: to step further inside your character's head space, and to do so very much in the present...

Your Task

Write a piece using the first person present tense (i.e. 'I fall down the moving staircase'). It can be about anything you like -- something funny, serious, or utterly mundane -- and you may include dialogue if you wish. You may also choose to write an interaction between your character and another (NPC or played). Whatever feels right! There are no other limits, other than the fact that you must write in the first person present. This means that you cannot at any moment step outside your character's mind, so chances are that a lot of what you write will be about your character's internal emotions and thoughts. If you choose to include another character, you can only write them from your character's perspective. All site rules and ratings still apply.

How do I start?
three simple steps

1. Start a new thread in the Summer Workshop forum. It should be called Prompt 3: Title of Your Piece
2. Write your piece, following the prompt above.
3. Review the pieces of others (see How To Workshop).

we take the pressure and we throw away
conventionality belongs to yesterday
there is a chance that we can make it so far
we start believing now that we can be who we are

Tags: