As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: [PROMPT 2] The Road Not Taken  (Read 234 times)

Clinton Litchfield

(07/22/2017 at 21:38)
  • Director of Camp Loki & Head of Hufflepuff
  • C6D24T7S6
  • ['46-'47] Journalist of the Term ['47-'48] Journalist of the Term [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Summer Workshop Prompt #2
The Road Not Taken

There comes a moment in every fairytale where the characters must make choices. To do good or to do evil, to turn left or to turn right? And once that choice is made, how are they to know that they have done the right thing, anyway? Things aren't often quite so clear cut as they may at first seem. This prompt is all about the choices that your character has made; and more specifically, the roads that they have not taken. Where would they be now if they had followed a different path?

Your Task
Choose One

Option 1
Rewrite a moment from your character's past where they make a different choice. The choice can be anything you'd like it to be. Perhaps they do something as simple as choose a different O.W.L. to take in fifth year. Maybe, when asked 'Do you love me?' by their significant other, they say 'no' instead of 'yes'. Try and focus on how they're feeling in that moment, what sort of emotional turmoil they might be experiencing, whether it's a difficult decision or an easy one; and, maybe most importantly, whether they believe they are making the right choice.

Option 2
Write a scene from your character's future which is a consequence of a choice they have made. The choice can be anything -- maybe they had to pick between that Gryffindor and that Slytherin; perhaps they decided to be a Healer, but their heart was in a Ministry career. Again, focus on the emotions of your character in this scene. Are they happy? Sad? Do they wish that they had chosen differently? Have they accepted their lot, or are they determined to fight their fate?

How do I start?
three simple steps

1. Start a new thread in the Summer Workshop forum. It should be called Prompt 2A/2B: Title of Your Piece
2. Write your piece, following the prompt above.
3. Review the pieces of others (see How To Workshop).
i've got sunshine on a cloudy day
when it's cold outside i've got the month of may
i've got so much honey the bees envy me
i've got a sweeter song than the birds in the trees

Tags: