As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: Duel 2 - Brannen vs Cole vs Morgenstern  (Read 609 times)

* Iola Blackwood

(04/24/2017 at 03:49)
  • Sixth Year
  • C7D5T8S6
    • View Profile
Iola couldn't help herself. She giggled as she looked out at the three duellists.

It was more of a snicker, really. Iola Ricardus had never done anything as silly as giggle her whole life. Not even as a child. But she did appreciate the plight of others, even if she shouldn't.

The current circumstances for the duellists was definitely a plight in her opinion. Arms crossed over her chest and a genuine smile pulling at her lips she watched as each of the duellists reacted to being stuck in what was essentially a honey pot. A small, shallow one of course as the honey only reached up to around their knees, but it was fun to watch all the same.

Having one's legs stuck in thick, golden honey would definitely slow everyone down.

"I hope you are all prepared for a more offensive duel today." They could always try to dodge out of the way still, but it would be difficult.

"All right, take your stances, please," Iola gave them several more moments to situate themselves. Some popular stances might be a little tough to pull off while standing in honey since they were mostly supposed to help with being able to get a quick start to the duel. It would be interesting to see how these three handled it.

"And...begin!"

A safe distance away from the honey, Iola watched the duel begin.

Round 1 of 5:

Kadence Brannen - 90%

vs

Julia Cole - 80%

vs

Finny Morgenstern - 70%

(((Edit: fixed Finny's health. Thanks for pointing that out!)))
« Last Edit: 04/25/2017 at 04:34 by Iola Ricardus »

* Julia Cole

(04/24/2017 at 19:01)
  • Magizoologist + Bartender
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
The counselors were surely enjoying the honey theme this summer, perhaps a little too much. This situation put Julia's little prank on Rebecca to shame. Perhaps it was karma for putting honey in her shoes. Now Julia's lower half was submerged in honey. Luckily she was very offensive in dueling anyway.

She was glad she and Kadence had talked after the last duel and made up, especially since now they were going against someone a few years older than them. She still didn't understand Kadence's reasoning, but she was expecting that her and Kadence would focus all their energy on Finny.

Julia (slowly) got into place. She smiled over at Kadence, hoping she was thinking the same thing as her. "And... begin!" Julia pointed her wand at Finny and called out "Petrificus Totalus!" Hopefully this would be more of a fun duel, and hopefully Finny wouldn't crush them too badly.
-------------
I'm dancing on my own
I make the moves up as I go.
---------------

Finny Morgenstern

(04/24/2017 at 23:41)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
  • ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Finny was pleased to say the least that they would be focusing less on the defensive side of duelling today, knowing how it was his weak point. Not that he believed that to be too detrimental to his duelling abilities, having almost placed himself in the finals at the castle - if he hadn't tried giving that place away to a close friend.

Well, he hadn't exactly been close to playing the finals, Zak would most definitely have been able to take him one on one. Still, he had gotten far enough to remain interested in the activity, and seeing how he still had spare time besides his position as counselor, summer was not a bad time to practise some more, to make mistakes and learn from those.

It was a little strange to be facing the two younger girls today. But if a first year could win the duelling tournament, then making assumptions about their skills was not a wise thing to do, and since he predicted them to team up against him, this could still be one of the more challenging duels he'd played. Holding his wand loosely in his hand, he waited for the starting signal.

"And...begin!"

He didn't give much thought to the choice of his target, almost instinctively raising his wand at the first person that did so to him - which happened to be Julia. If she was making an attack and he didn't follow it up with some form of retaliation, there was likely going to be more. Determined not to let that happen, he spoke "Confundus."

Note: Finn has 2 vitality points, I believe he should have been starting at 70% <3
THUNDER,  FEEL  THE  THUNDER
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

Kadence Brannen

(04/25/2017 at 00:37)
  • Unemployed
  • C5D4T6S4
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
She wasn't sure why she had signed up for dueling again. The last duel had gone terribly, with Kadence in last place even with barely one spell sent towards her. Afterwards she had told herself repeatedly that she was done with duelling.

It seemed obviously not her sport, but then again, neither was quidditch and she had to do something. There was no way she would ever live through Spellbound (Writing. Outside of class. Were they out of their minds?) and volunteering in the hospital wing lacked rewards or competition. When there wasn't a duel or a quidditch game or a reason to practice either, Kadence knew she would get anxious for a chance to do something. She couldn't think of many other hobbies that fit her.

And so on the very last day of sign-ups, she had reluctantly filled out the sheet. But this time, until the day of the duel, she had practiced not stop in a desperate attempt to get anything right. This time she had done more the the basic Petrificus Totalus and shooting sparks. She was ready, and this time to not just get second but win.

She smiled a bit as Julia sent a spell flying towards Finny and then added one of her own. Together they would be unstoppable. "Incendio!" Kadence shouted with spirit, wand aimed towards Finny's robes, attempting the spell. She was ready, alright. She would do better this time.
find me where the

wild things

are.

* Adrian Alric

(04/25/2017 at 15:37)
  • Translator for Gringotts + Model
  • C9D17T11S7
  • ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
Round 1

A1. Julia successfully casts PT at Funny. 6% damage.
A2. Finny counters with a successful Confundus. 7% damage.
A3. Kadence successfully casts Incendio, causing embers to catch lightly on Finnys clothes for 1% damage.

Round 2 of 5:

Kadence Brannen - 90%

vs

Julia Cole - 73%; -2 ability, may act twice

vs

Finny Morgenstern - 63%; -1 velocity, -1 resistance, may act twice

« Last Edit: 04/26/2017 at 20:22 by Adrian Alric »
Funny, how I'm nervous still
I've always been the easy kill
I guess I always will

* Julia Cole

(04/25/2017 at 19:23)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
Julia smiled as her attack hit Finny. This was going to be a good duel. However, she suddenly was hit with a spell that made her brain a little fuzzy. She saw Kadence cast a spell at Finny. What were they doing again? Oh, right, dueling!

She was happy not to be getting attacked like these matches seemed to go. She felt slightly sorry for Finny, but only slightly. He was a lot stronger than them. She smiled over at Kadence. This was going to be an awesome duel. Kadence would probably wind up winning if Finny continued to aim at her, but Julia didn't care so much about that this time.

Julia focused on what she wanted to do next. She decided to attempt what she had tried last round. "Expelliarmus!" She called out while pointing her wand at Finny, following it up with shouting "Wingardium Leviosa," still aimed at Finny. Hopefully they would both work. Though would the Wingardium work in this honey? Though if the Expelliarmus worked, he'd probably have more difficulty grabbing his wand too. Hopefully it all went according to plan.
I'd rather break my heart
Than risk breaking yours

Kadence Brannen

(04/25/2017 at 22:05)
  • Unemployed
  • C5D4T6S4
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
A smile was rare with Kadence, but she seemed somehow full of them right now. Her spell hit Finny successfully and although it didn't do exactly what she had wanted (just a bit of smoldering instead of flames) that was okay. It was better than the last duel, anyway. Apparently her practice had paid off. She wasn't sure she would have even tried to finish the duel if it hadn't.

Unfortunately, they all had had successful spells, but Finny had done a harder spell than either of them had tried. Julia had become dazed, but thankfully she snapped out of it quickly. Kadence didn't know if she could do a more powerful spell like that.

Now she had to decide what spell next. Sending Finny up into the air could work well. Kadence aimed her wand at him again and was about to cast the spell when she heard the words shouted from over where Julia was standing.

Now she wasn't sure what to do. Last time she'd had a potion for backup, but this time all she had was her wand. What were her options?  She had practiced Langlock some, and that would probably at least keep Finny from casting spells temporarily. Kadence decided it was worth a try, at least.

Pointing her wand at Finny, she attempted to cast Langlock.
find me where the

wild things

are.

Finny Morgenstern

(04/26/2017 at 10:21)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
  • ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
It was pretty much what he'd expected to happen, to have both of the opposing duellists turn against him immediately. Neither of the spells hurt him much, though it looked like there would be more to follow.

Well, it looked like he was not going to see the end of this match. If they were this intent on taking him out, they could certainly do it - he'd almost call it unfair, but this was exactly what Zak and he had done at the castle, although not necessarily at a single target. It was tactics, not cheating. Just an example of how good it was to have friends.

But surrendering was not something he'd ever do. He wanted to prove that their alliance was necessary if they wanted to win, and he was hellbent on at least showing them that he could easily have taken either of them. So he shrugged it off, raised his wand, and tried again.

"Confundus" he spoke for Kadence, followed up by calling a "Petrificus Totalus" that was aimed at Julia.
THUNDER,  FEEL  THE  THUNDER
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

* Adrian Alric

(04/26/2017 at 21:14)
  • C9D17T11S7
  • ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
Round 2

A1. Julia casts Expelliarmus, which successfully disarms Finny. 4% damage. (Used single disarm for duel)
A2. Julia's combination of WL fizzles out, unsuccessful.
A3. Kadence attempts a silent Langlock. It was unsuccessful. (OOC: Please note that without having it said that it was spoken, it would be marked as silent. Make sure to say she said it!)
A4. (OOC: Actions would have been voided either way from the disarm. Please make sure to bold your actions!)

Round 3 of 5:

Kadence Brannen - 90%

vs

Julia Cole - 73%

vs

Finny Morgenstern - 59%; disarmed

I guess I always will

* Julia Cole

(04/26/2017 at 21:35)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
Julia smiled as she noticed that her Expelliarmus had succeeded. However, her Wingardium Leviosa had not. True, it would probably still be difficult for him to grab his wand in all this honey, but she still had to try. Though, his lack of being able to cast anything was perfect.

She noticed Kadence with a look of determination and point her wand at Finny. She must have been so focused that she forgot to say the spell out loud! Not that it mattered much, Finny was easily being taken care of, and Kadence hadn't been hit yet, which was good for her.

Julia aimed her wand at Finny and called out "Wingardium Leviosa!" again, a little louder this time. Not that it would actually make it more likely to succeed, but maybe this time her wand wouldn't be so hard of hearing. At least no matter what, Finny was still in a... sticky situation.
-------------
I'm dancing on my own
---------------

* Adrian Alric

(04/27/2017 at 21:52)
  • C9D17T11S7
    • View Profile
Round 3

A1. Julia tries WL once more, this time succeeding in getting Finny up in the air and away from his wand. The honey stuck to his feet lifts up as well. The Gyffindor does not feel any damage from the spell.

Round 4 of 5:

Kadence Brannen - 90%

vs

Julia Cole - 73%

vs

Finny Morgenstern - 59%; disarmed, will float in the air for two rounds or until the caster successfully casts another spell

I guess I always will

Kadence Brannen

(04/27/2017 at 22:02)
  • Unemployed
  • C5D4T6S4
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Kadence groaned as her spell failed. She knew she shouldn't have tried to do it silently. Now she was certainly regretting it.

However, she smiled as Finny was disarmed and sent up into the air. She knew it would be hard to retrieve the wand in all this honey. But she had to admit, she kind of hated this. Her strongest suit in duelling she presumed, silly as it seemed, was just dodging any spells headed towards her. It had taken some practice to do any spells that well.

Kadence decided to try langlock again, because even if he was a fourth year, Finny probably wouldn't have much more luck any spell than she had had previously. She raised her wand once more and pointed it at Finny. "Langlock!" she shouted, attempting to cast the spell.
So I won't fear and I can't blend in

you can't replace me and you cannot erase me

* Julia Cole

(04/28/2017 at 00:41)
  • C20D10T20S15
    • View Profile
Julia had Finny in the perfect position and was very tempted to just sit the rest of the duel out so he'd be stuck up there. She could just heal herself until the duel was over and let Kadence hit him, but that wasn't as fun as casting spells. But the truth was, Finny probably wouldn't have time to grab his wand and cast a spell either.

This time, Kadence called out Langlock. Julia had never attempted the higher level spells, and was a bit nervous to until she was a little older. Though this was summer, which seemed the best time to try new things. After all, the stakes weren't high and Finny was already definitely in last, so even if it didn't work, no big deal.

But what higher level spells did she know? Not many, she'd probably learn some more this upcoming year, but for now, she wasn't sure. Then she remembered one Finny had cast on her earlier that seemed to work pretty well. She raised her wand at Finny and shouted "Confundus!" Hopefully it would work.
-------------
I'm dancing on my own
---------------

* Adrian Alric

(04/29/2017 at 05:30)
  • C9D17T11S7
    • View Profile
Round 4

A1. Kadence tries Langlock once more, but the spell fizzles again! Tough spell, that one.
A2. Julia stops her WL to cast a Confundus! It is successful. 9% damage.
A3. Finny falls back into the honey floors for 3% damage.

Round 5 of 5:

Kadence Brannen - 90%

vs

Julia Cole - 73%; may act twice

vs

Finny Morgenstern - 47%; disarmed, -2 ability

I guess I always will

Tags: