Vote for Player of the Summer!

Author Topic: Too Much Green To Feel Blue | Helen  (Read 508 times)

* Adrian Alric

(04/14/2017 at 00:18)
  • Translator for Gringotts + Model
  • C9D17T11S7
  • ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
Friday Evening
Before Curfew
Third Week of Camp

"Ready?"

He asked her with a glowing quaffle tucked under his arm, swerving around the sky on his broom as she settled along the makeshift goals cut into the pine trees. Dressed comfortably, Adrian had left the Team Eeyore cabins flying side by side with Helen wearing shorts and a light tee completely decked in the dark blue of his house. It felt right; house allegiance was really the only reason he would continue playing the sport. The burden of expectation was a heavy weight to bear.

That, and Helen's pleading face getting him on the pitch that evening.

She had asked him for days now. The charming Slytherin had risen the ranks of company he kept during that early part of summer; the fact that they all seemed to be the spawn of Salazar if they were not of his house spoke volumes for his nature and the personalities he tolerated. Helen, perpetually perky and smiling, had her persistence prevail when he finally agreed to help her train at keeper. Batting eyelashes wore down his defenses over time until he could not bring himself to deny her again.

Their first summer match had not been the most competitive affair and he could understand wanting to train if it was a position she was contemplating keeping during the school year when mistakes were ill-afforded. He felt he owed her for hearing out-- despite who bringing it up originally-- his Sylvia troubles. Afterwards, Adrian had felt much better about the whole ordeal and truly felt that it was pivotal in having him move past the vestiges of his break-up.

With a determined expression of squinted eyes and corded muscles, he sank into his broom and cut his through the sky in his short circuit. Falling into the rhythm of flying felt as natural as walking, as breathing; his Comet 180 practically an extra appendage this far into his training at the sport.

On the way, he had made sure to transfigure the quaffle so that it would illuminate his movements and make it visible in the creeping darkness of the disappearing sun. Not a difficult command, executed to perfection. This was the best time to get a private session as campers would not risk being caught outside of curfew with two counselors flying around.

Now he only waited for confirmation.
« Last Edit: 04/27/2017 at 18:26 by Adrian Alric »
Funny, how I'm nervous still
I've always been the easy kill
I guess I always will

* Helen Kane

(04/20/2017 at 12:48)
  • Auror - Critical Response Taskforce
  • C10D7T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
As they'd begun spending more and more time together, Hel and Adrian had gotten undeniably closer. It was rather easy to consolidate the fact that they were befriending each other, when she took into account how they'd been charged with the welfare of all the campers, something which had seen them working closer together for extended periods of time. It was impossible not to get to know someone when you spent so much time with them, and with Adrian, Hel supposed, it was no different.

It was good to see him come out of his shell, and it didn't matter to Hel whether it was her that was doing it, or the mystery girl Adrian was crushing on. It was enough of a treat to see him more and more like himself, and not the sulking wreck she'd played against at the end of the term. With his recovey came his intellect, and his physical prowess, and Hel was not about to say that a shirtless Adrian (an extremely early morning had been courtesy of that) was something she didn't like to see.

Even the sight of him on his broom, cutting a lean figure through the air, all corded muscle and aerial superiority, made her stomach flip in her chest, and made her wonder whether he'd been talking about her at all. It had been vague, for sure, and could have encapsulated literally any other girl at camp. She couldn't help, however, and hope it was her.

But regardless of whether he liked her, like that, Adrian was a good sport, and she enjoyed spending time with him. Especially when that time was Quidditch, and she got the opportunity to better her game. Even though summer Quidditch was always taken less seriously than term Quidditch, Hel knew the practise was invaluable. If she wanted to become captain (and she wanted to) she needed as much experience as possible.

"Ready?"

"Ready," she said, and mounted her broom. Although the air was cooling down and Hel was dressed lightly in only a tank top and some shorts, she knew better than to think it'd be an easy training session, especially with Adrian taking Chaser. He'd put her through her paces, no doubt about it. 

She pushed off and hung in front of the hoops, and slid her fingers into her gloves. "So," she called, as she waited for Adrian's approach, "Are you gonna tell me about this mystery girl of yours, or do I have to guess her name?"
swim with me
i think i can see the beach

* Adrian Alric

(04/27/2017 at 18:48)
  • C9D17T11S7
  • ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
"Are you gonna tell me about this mystery girl of yours, or do I have to guess her name?"

The sinking darkness did well in hiding the flush on his cheeks, scarlet complexion warming the skin above his cheekbones. Adrian felt transported to cold nights made warm by close company and hot lips. He smiled; a mischievous, close-mouthed smirk of fiendish nights turning into tender mornings. No, he was not going to divulge the mystery of just who kept him returning to the Eeyore campground with the risen sun.

Instead, Adrian took that her ready to mean just that. He lowered his shoulders and propelled his broom forward with a burst of acceleration. The adrenaline rushed from his nerves through his eyes, tightening his face from jawline to brow.

They might be friends but the Ravenclaw captain was not about to take it easy on anyone. It was part of why he did not enjoy what he became when he played Quidditch. There had been too many times when his fighting spirit for the better of him. From kicking his own girlfriend into a bludger, sending them to unaware keepers, or barreling into smaller chasers with his shoulder, there was a litany of botched plays others who had followed him amateur career could hold up at him in derision.

There was not enough time to process things when seconds meant the difference between outcomes. The pressure weighed heavy, keeping him chained to realms outside his comfort zone of steady, thorough thought. Sure, he had normally come out on top from such reckless abandon on the pitch-- which he would argue was controlled chaos-- at the costless expense of others. If he was not ending up at the Hospital Wing, then he would be sending someone in his place.

At least, before he decided to put himself at keeper for the last two matches last term and let his teammates fend for themselves.

It was only a matter of seconds before he had his arm leveled for a shot. He feigned tossing a high-arcing shot to the left hoop since his approach came from her left, centered as he was with the right hoop. Adrian shot his arm up from his hip, holding it over his head and faking the shot before pulling back instantly. His fingers were iron vises, keeping his hold on the glowing quaffle as tight as eagle's talons on its unsuspecting prey.

He then attempted a curved, side-arm shot back at the right hoop.
I guess I always will

* Helen Kane

(04/29/2017 at 13:39)
  • C10D7T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
At the sight of his smile, Hel's stomach all but hop-skip-jumped in her chest, and she felt like she was running on pure adrenaline. Adrian's smile did something to her, much like Jamie's had once done; something that made her want to become endlessly reckless and move mountains with her bare hands. That dizzying charm felt like a floodlight when he turned it on her, blood flooding with ice and fire at the same time, and a heady cocktail of hormones rushing through her system.

So he wasn't going to tell her who the girl was? Perhaps she'd have to flirt the truth out of him, although she seriously doubted her own resolve in the face of his perfection. There was a good to fair chance that Adrian could outwit, out-fly and out-charm her, and leave her hanging onto his every word. There was no doubt in Hel's mind that much like her own case of Jeremiah Smallweed, Adrian Alric had his own little army of admirers hanging around. Perhaps she could ask one of them?

No, her mind echoed, as Adrian came charging at her, all guns blazing, Concentrate on the game.

Really, it could have been anything short of war, as far as Hel was concerned, as long as she got some Keeper practise in before the first Quidditch game. She'd always thought keepers were startlingly similar to chasers, except for the movement across the pitch, and she'd never really anticipated it as seriously difficult. But as Adrian charged down the pitch, dipping and curving every which way, Hel realised it was much harder than it looked.

She could have happily watched Adrian fly all day, what with his muscles and his concentration, but she couldn't hope to predict where he was moving when he came from her left, moving to shoot high. She leant upwards and prepped to catch the Quaffle, only to realise he hadn't thrown it, and was instead throwing it at the right hoop.

She realised too late, and the quaffle sailed through. With a grin, tinged with disappointment and heated cheeks, Hel shot after the falling quaffle to catch it, right before it hit the ground. She flew back towards the hoops, and tossed the quaffle at Adrian so they could try the approach again.

She managed a ruddy grin, mischief eating at the corners. "And what if I stop a shot? Do I get a go at guessing her name?"
I never, never, never said
I never wanted a body.

* Adrian Alric

(05/01/2017 at 21:47)
  • C9D17T11S7
    • View Profile
Adrian did not have to follow the flight of his shot to know he had won. The chaser, at home in his element like a shark in water, accounted for her positioning and relative agility. Helen was better than most when it came to pure athleticism on a broomstick but there were tiny details she had not yet picked up on when it came to keeping.

Her attitude made all the difference, a welcome change from much of the self-criticism or spoken frustration he might have expected from a lesser player. Helen rounded the tree, catching the quaffle before it reached the floor and returning to her position guarding the hoops.

"And what if I stop a shot? Do I get a go at guessing her name?"

"You are welcome to guess. Whether I tell you or not is a different matter entirely," he teased, brushing his hair out of his face with one hand as the other caught the quaffle. Adrian took little inventory at how experienced he had gotten on his broom. The Ravenclaw captain had maneuvered himself at the perfect spot with only his knees after Helen had thrown the glowing quaffle, easily cupping it and holding it against his chest.

Her request garnered far more of his attention. Why was she so curious? From every bit of gossip he had heard so far, Helen had her hands-- and lips-- full it seemed with the likes of Zak Weiland. That seemed like a notable match; both adored Quidditch and aspired to be the best of their respective houses. Much like he and Effy, it made sense at how they had reached their inevitable conclusion even in the face of her known relationship with Jamie Duncan.

Though they both knew the farce that was.

"Even if I agreed, I doubt you would be able to. Your positioning is too close to the hoops. A chaser is going to be able to get a shot in if they have any form of class. You are better off getting wider, closer to impede my progress and make me make a decision earlier."

With that, Adrian pushed his broomstick forward and began to push right for her again.

I guess I always will

* Helen Kane

(05/08/2017 at 07:34)
  • C10D7T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
The uptick of his smile, the set of his shoulders and that swagger to his hips painted something intoxicating against the cooling reds and oranges of the night sky, and Hel couldn't keep her eyes off him. It was a dangerous thing to feel attracted to someone untouchable like Adrian Alric when Sylvia Renn still circulated the fringes of Hel's circle, when he was followed in droves by girls with stars in their eyes.

She knew, better than anyone, what loving someone unattainable felt like.

Effy's name was stamped in gold on her bones.

"You are welcome to guess. Whether I tell you or not is a different matter entirely,"

A smirk hitched up the corner of her mouth, and she settled back on her broom. His secrecy intrigued her, especially when they'd been spending as much time together as they had. She'd thought all barrier to conversation were all but non-existent, but she'd always created friendships for herself faster than others had, and there was no telling whether Adrian thought of them like she did.

"I can be pretty persuasive when I want to b--"

""Even if I agreed, I doubt you would be able to. Your positioning is too close to the hoops. A chaser is going to be able to get a shot in if they have any form of class. You are better off getting wider, closer to impede my progress and make me make a decision earlier."

She mimed a snore as he went off on his lecture, even though she appreciated immensely what he was telling her. She was suited to chaser far better than keeper, and she was certain Adrian knew that, too.

Still, as he shifted forwards, she mirrored his position and slid into the offensive. Her broom glid forwards, and she twisted her hands free from their hold on the stem to intercept her pass as she moved in front of him. She expected him to stop.

He didn't.

He crashed into her, brooms suddenly locked at the stems and Hel's legs tangled around his, the quaffle forgotten as she wound her arms around his neck to regain her lost balance. She found her forehead pressed into his neck, the taste of his sweat on her lips. Their sudden closeness made her heart skip a beat.

She leant back enough to catch his eyes, still hopelessly tangled. "Like that?" She found herself asking, her voice dropping a lower octave, eyes flitting from his to his lips, and then back again.
I never, never, never said
I never wanted a body.

* Adrian Alric

(05/08/2017 at 08:01)
  • C9D17T11S7
    • View Profile
"Like that?"

The gravity in her voice pulled him harder than their collision possibly could have. Adrian had misjudged his approach, as well as how quickly she would leap up to meet his dive at her hoops. Bright, brown hues widened in shock once he realized what would happen; the scene playing out in his hyperactive mind as the seconds ticked to make it true. It was all he could do to keep them from falling right off their brooms to throw all his weight in the opposite direction, skidding slower but still impacting hard.

His legs found their counterpart as Helen's ankle hooked around his. Adrian's were not nearly as slender, yet they both intertwined better than they could have planned for to keep themselves from falling off. The quaffle ceased to matter; its glow fading to the floor under the duress of needing to secure his hands to something.

That turned out to be Helen's waist while her instinctive reaction was to wrap hers around his neck. The spun slightly, countering the force until they stopped. Adrian's breathing raced along with the blood pumping furiously through his veins, heated eyes looking at the floor and gulping at how lucky they had been.

He had planned to ask if she was alright. The words quickly sunk when she looked at him. Even with the last vestiges of daylight already gone, there was no hiding her beauty. An intense exhale left his lips, twitching feverishly against the weight of that gaze. That gravity. He should have been thinking of Euphemia, what she would think of all this if she knew that he was snogging some other girl. While he did not know what they were, his rather naive sensibilities would have never allowed him to drift so close to Helen. It would have felt like a betrayal, a breach of trust of their shared intimacy.

Chance had intervened instead. Adrian could not think clearly, not when his chest pounded and his legs ached. Not when she stared at him with that longing look, desire made human. He secured his hold of her and brought her close; when his lips finally got a taste, he doubted there was any room left for debate.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2017 at 08:07 by Adrian Alric »
I guess I always will

* Helen Kane

(05/08/2017 at 08:25)
  • C10D7T9S8
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
He widened below her, his body opening to the span of her hands, stretching wider and swallowing her attention to keep it captive, and she was powerless. She melted in his hands, clay molding to a far softer shape, and she curled forward into his space. She couldn't think straight, not this close to the source of her attraction, not when they spun in the air and she was lightheaded from the force of their collision.

They curved closer, and Hel didn't think. There was no doubt in her mind, not when she focused on his lips and the perspiration on his forehead, nor the flutter of his eyelashes, or the drop her stomach made when he looked at her, and she could see the longing made manifest.

Perhaps, in a distant future, she would regret this decision or the million others she'd made this summer, and be resigned to reliving the moments forever and ever in purgatory. For now, she could only conform to the bloodrush, her longing and her shuttering field of vision.

She didn't think of Zak, or Reggie, or Althea, or Effy--

She just kissed him.

fin.
swim with me
i think i can see the beach

Tags: