Participate in our 20th birthday challenge!

Author Topic: fame < infamy \\ adrian  (Read 374 times)

Jocelyn West

(04/13/2017 at 13:06)
july  1950
just after dinner

Dinner had lasted ages--the clatter of silverware, the chatter of campers. Finding her rightful spot next to Helen made it much more bearable, enjoyable even at times. But there were other times where the need to be moving, to be relishing in the darkness of nature. To feel the grass, and the dirt, beneath her feet, between her toes, even.

After excusing herself from the table of chaos, she gingerly walked away from her fellow teens, the ones she had been lucky enough to call friends--at least for the summer. Sending a river of waves and happy goodbyes, she was forgiven for her innocent betrayal, for the urge to be alone, to be one with beat of the world surrounding her.

(would anyone ever understand?)

As the darkness quickly approached, so did her footsteps. Cutting past her team's cabins, she quickly found herself at the fence, more specifically the stile a few yards down the opposite way of Eeyore's campsite. A slight breeze sent a chill down her spine, rippling through the cotton of the light gray of her dress, contrasting with the dark brown of her skin, the ever flowing dark curls bouncing behind her as she hopped over, just barely grazing the smooth wood.

The trees loomed ahead, leaves shaking, threatening rain.

snap

A twig made her snap her head to the left, finding a figure not too far away.

"Hey!" she called, the American evident in her tone.

The girl walked closer, hazel hues looked down at the ground, careful to not trip over the slew of roots littered across the dirt and sparse grass. The stars were beginning to appear, casting a glow through the leaves.

"Elijah?" her surprise written all over her face.

* Adrian Alric

(04/13/2017 at 15:07)
  • Translator for Gringotts + Model
  • C9D17T11S7
  • ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Bereft of company, Adrian Alric paced the fence that held back the hollow. He had been walking the same route, parallel to the white barrier, for what seemed to be hours now lost in thought.

For anyone at least partially familiar with the Icelander, such a scene would have not been anything new. The Ravenclaw prefect had been very obviously left alone through the latter half of the previous term, sound judgment catering the need after he lacked a certain blonde-haired Hufflepuff who had been there before. A gloomy face whose stare could turn you into stone if only he could will it.

The appearance of that was only surface deep. Adrian swam in deeper waters; there were small details that spoke more of the change within him once he had fully climbed over the mountain of his heartache. He stared ahead rather than at his feet. His eyes shined with the same sparkle that littered the sky in those early moments of evening as the stars began to reveal themselves like blooming flowers over a field of purple and black. He stood straight, shoulders arched back to puff out his chest. Most importantly of all, a thin smile marked the edges of his lips; pleasantly spry considering the frigid stoniness he generally used to scare off anyone interested in speaking with him.

The counselor did not make it a point to move as silent as shadows. His thick, black boots broke through twigs and fallen leaves, alerting any close by that he was there. Not too far from the hands at his side was his wand, its handle poking out of his pocket just in case he might need it. You never really knew with these heffalumps; the very reason Adrian was out here was to make sure campers knew to stay clear of the hollow. There had already been a few who had sought treatment at the infirmary due to their antics and, being that this was his domain, he was not going to let that happen on his watch.

"Hey!"

He stopped, turning his head back to the right at find the source of the call. His eyes squinted in the darkness, remaining at ease as the dark form found its way to the light. Adrian eyes twitched in familiarity. Wasn't she a camper on his team? Obviously, not one of his particularly but perhaps one of Helen's? The Slytherin girl (not the only one of that house) had been foremost in his thoughts lately, though, that was for obviously different reasons. What was this girl doing out here?

"Elijah?"

Adrian balked at the name, his mouth held open to ask that very question before she spoke. Furrowing his brow, he paused only for a moment before he shook his head.

"That is... not my name." Her accent was obviously not British and he had not seen her at school. Adrian would have definitely remembered someone so tan; her bronzed-skin tone evident even in the growing darkness. Hazel hues found their counterpart, squinting slightly to try to take everything in.

"Adrian, at least I am pretty sure that is my name," he spoke lightly, smirking and delivering it with levity.
« Last Edit: 04/23/2017 at 15:19 by Adrian Alric »
Funny, how I'm nervous still
I've always been the easy kill
I guess I always will

Jocelyn West

(04/18/2017 at 19:10)
"That is... not my name."

"Is it not?"

It took mere seconds for Jocelyn to close the remaining feet between the pair, her gaze upon the shake of his head, dark hair swaying with the action. Only a full glance showed her the error of her way, the boy before her so clearly not her dear Elijah, for her close friend was a shade paler, hair darker, eyes even brighter. The darkness that masked the night, pulled shadows over the teenager in front of her, claiming different features from far away, creating a game of guess who.

Embarrassed by her mistake, Jocelyn lowered her gaze for just a moment before turning to trailing across the perfectly sculptured marble of his jawline. The dark blonde of his hair rested perfectly against the soft glow of his complexion, the iciness of his gaze brought an aura of sophistication, her mind screaming pure pure pure.

Bare feet stopped a mere inches away from the fellow camper, forcing her to peer up at the boy. The top of her head reached just below his shoulders, bringing a slight intimidation to his presence. Though he was not exactly who she thought, the girl had seen him around the camp, more than once. Was it at her own team's cabins? That, she could not remember, having spent all of her time with Helen there.

"Adrian, at least I am pretty sure that is my name,"

"You don't sound that sure," she smirked back, grateful for the bit of humor. "I'm Jocelyn."

Raising her petite hand, she offered it to Adrian, gaze never swaying.

"I think we share the same team," it came as more of a question than a statement.

* Adrian Alric

(04/23/2017 at 15:36)
  • Translator for Gringotts + Model
  • C9D17T11S7
  • ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Adrian eyed her offered hand as if she was holding something comical within her slender fingers. Like a fish, or a bouquet of dead flowers. He had not expected someone to be so forward with her introduction, which would say a lot more about how he interacted with people than by the apparently normal way she reached out to him.

Not wasting time by thinking on the deeper complexities, he took her hand and gave her a firm shake. His smile beamed, a sight that had once been restricted as if it was holy or forbidden but now felt quite natural. Adrian was, despite popular opinion, better received keeping his gaze free of a derisive scowl or melancholy pouting.

"Pleasure to meet you Jocelyn," he said in quick succession. "We most definitely are. I am one of the counselors, though I was put in charge of the oldest batch of campers. You are probably more familiar with Helen," he said it with confidence, his tone laced with authentic command. There was no way she was thirteen, and if he was not her counselor then she had to fall in the middle age group.

He let go of her hand once he finished speaking. He broke his stare to look at the fence, already thinking ahead as to why she was exploring this area of camp. Despite his better efforts, there would still be campers who would find their way inside the innocuous boundary. Was that her final destination?

"What brings you out here at this time? I am sure you would find the bonfire area more appealing than this dark forest," he kept his statement free of judgment, light inflections hoping to keep him more relatable than authoritative. Then, to appease his curiosity, he also asked, "Are you starting your first term at Hogwarts this year? Or, if I have not met you before then my apologies."

If she was a student, then she would have obviously known of him by reputation at least. That made him expect the former.
Funny, how I'm nervous still
I've always been the easy kill
I guess I always will

Jocelyn West

(05/03/2017 at 21:58)
"Pleasure to meet you Jocelyn,"

"The pleasure is mine," the polite echoed, the way he spoke gave her a strong sense of formality rather than friendliness.

"We most definitely are. I am one of the counselors, though I was put in charge of the oldest batch of campers. You are probably more familiar with Helen,"

"Yeah, I would say so."

Helen.

Just the sound of her name brought a smile to the brunette's features. The dripping insinuation held far more than she intended, but it was no matter. In another few weeks time, it would be time for Jocelyn to return to America, back to her own friends, to the life she had gotten a break from for just the couple months of summer break. Soon, Camp Loki would be a fond memory, as would the friends she met.

A very fond memory for some.

"What brings you out here at this time? I am sure you would find the bonfire area more appealing than this dark forest,"

"I wanted quiet," she explained with a smile. "Sometimes...sometimes, it gets too loud."

"Are you starting your first term at Hogwarts this year? Or, if I have not met you before then my apologies."

"Nah, I go to Ilvermorny. My parents had some business in England this summer, thus," she motioned to herself using both hands presenting her as a gift. "the amazing American you see here."

Of course, she wasn't quite that big headed, but Jocelyn did think highly of herself.
« Last Edit: 05/03/2017 at 22:03 by Jocelyn West »

Tags: