Participate in our 20th birthday challenge!

Author Topic: Fruit and Friends?  (Read 867 times)

Caitriona Magee

(04/01/2017 at 03:28)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
Caitriona walked up to one of the many benches lingering around the open area. The sweltering heat left some sweat on her brow as she sat down at one of the benches, munching on some strawberries. She glanced glanced around at the other students, mingling, talking quietly amongst themselves. She tucked some hair out of her face and took another bite of her strawberries which she carried in a small bowl.

She didn't really want to be there. Caitriona knew next to no one at the school save the odd ball students she worked on projects with or met in the common rooms. But they hadn't really interacted all that much. Her uncle insisted she attend camp this summer and he insisted, Lord how he insisted she actually talk to someone.

Caitriona sighed and, taking yet another bite of strawberry, watched the leaves of a nearby tree flutter in the humid breeze.
Nevertheless, she            persisted.

Calvin Sharppe

(04/01/2017 at 03:44)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
  • Player of the Summer ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
It never hit Cal whenever he got dehydrated from the sweltering heat until it was a tad too late. Like an overworked dog, Calvin ran and circled through camp, running on the energy of last night's sleep and breakfast until he found himself tired and panting, tongue almost wagging out for a droplet of water.

He was wearing a light white shirt that was nearly soaked through with perspiration, a layer of beaded sweat was caked on from Quidditch practice just moments ago. He knew it was time for a break from all the racing and chasing when the sky seemed to be down and the ground, up. Cal hadn't even realized that he was slowly turning the broom upside down until his head nearly touched the grassy pitch. It was recommended that he take a breather and come back when he wasn't seeing stars.

Pooh's Corner was just the place for recouping his energy. There were always goodies to be found and it wasn't restricted to only honey. Picnic tables were scattered amongst the field and Calvin picked a random one, with an older blonde girl sitting at one end.

As he approached closer, he saw that there were strawberries on the table. Oh how sweet and delectable they looked! It would have been rather rude to just reach over the girl's head and grab one for the taking. So he walked around to the other side of the table and plopped down, hoovering his hand over the bowl of fruit and asked, "May I have one please?"

RECKLESS

maybe i might get a little

Caitriona Magee

(04/01/2017 at 03:51)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
Caitriona watched Calvin come running up to the tables. He was very.... wet.. She cocked her head to one side and was mildly surprised when he sat near her. "May I have one please?"

She looked at him, one eyebrow raised, "Sure. They're for everyone." She chuckled a little under her breath. She had worked with Calvin on a potion once with another girl.. What was her name? Pause... Oh yeah! Marina! Only then he had much cleaner and a lot less sweaty. At least she thought it was sweat. Or had he just gone swimming?

"How ya doin?"

Calvin Sharppe

(04/01/2017 at 17:39)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
"Sure. They're for everyone."

That was all the prompting Calvin needed. His hand, which had been hoovering over the bowl, went down and plucked the fattest, juiciest strawberry that he could find and bit down on it hastily. The coolness of the fruit was refreshing and it wasn't long before he quickly threw the grassy top to the side and picked up another one.

He wasn't sure if strawberries were his favorite fruit but it was certainly up there on a hot day like this. Summers were great for strawberries, melons, and other crisp refreshing bite-sized snacks.

"How ya doin?"

Looking up curiously at the girl, whose name he had forgotten but had seen in his classes before, Calvin answered, "Great!" Another strawberry. "Was playing Quidditch- The pitch here is just like the one at Hogwarts!" There wasn't much that Calvin did outside of Quidditch. Eating three meals a day, adventuring with his friends, and practice handling the Quaffle in his spare time. Once in a while, he was able to sleep too.

"What about you?" he asked in return.
RECKLESS

Caitriona Magee

(04/01/2017 at 18:18)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
Caitriona watched him chow down on several strawberries. it was quite amusing. Like watching my brother. "Great!" He ate another strawberry. "Was playing Quidditch- The pitch here is just like the one at Hogwarts!" The light reflected off his hair and shone in her eyes.

Placing one hand on her brow to block the sun, "What about you?" He asked her. She thought on that for a moment. How am I doing? If she were really honest with herself, not really all that well.

"I'm doing good! A little bored to be honest. My brother wailed when I left and it made me kind of sad." She paused, taking a bite of a strawberry, "I'm hoping to actually make some friends this time."

Calvin Sharppe

(04/02/2017 at 04:57)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
"I'm doing good! A little bored to be honest..."

If it was stuff that she wanted to do, Calvin could think of ten things right then and there that could keep her entertained. How was it that some people didn't have the ideas like he did? It seemed so... easy.

"...My brother wailed when I left and it made me kind of sad."

Brother! He always wished he had a brother. The Duncans were a good substitute for that he supposed, if he was going to count Aiden, Barclay, and Jamie as brothers. They took him in for nearly half a week and he supposed that if he hadn't gone off to hang out with Dorian and Cece, he could've stayed for as long as he wanted.

"Can he not come here yet?" Calvin asked. He waited, what seemed like, eons to go to Camp Loki. Every year he was too young until last term. If there was anyone who could understand the impatience of youth, it was Calvin. Waiting was the hardest part of everything. He was a doer and stillness never sat well with him.

"I'm hoping to actually make some friends this time."

"I can be your friend. Making friends is easy!" he said casually, resting his open palms against the back of his head, leaning against the bench with no resting back to it leisurely. "What'd you want to know?" He was no expert, but with the number of friends Calvin made when he was at Hogwarts (so many that he ran out of fingers and toes to count them all), he at least knew where to start.

lush life giving me a rush

had one chance to make me blush second time is one too late

Caitriona Magee

(04/02/2017 at 16:35)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
As Calvin asked questions, Caitriona laughed. It was light laughter, but laughter nonetheless. "He's not a wizard like us, Calvin." She smiled, I really like his enthusiasm.

"I would love to be your friend, though." She smiled at him, "Just don't get me all sweaty after you've been playing Quidditch."

"What'd you want to know?" He asked her.

Caitriona chuckled, "Your enthusiasm really is spectacular. I'd like to know anything you can tell me."

Calvin Sharppe

(04/04/2017 at 03:35)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
A muggle brother? Or a squib? There was a big difference and Calvin wasn't sure how he felt about that. Non-magical people seemed boring. The Duncans weren't all magical but for what they lacked in magical abilities they made up for with their Scottish customs and foreign traditions.

"I would love to be your friend, though."..."Just don't get me all sweaty after you've been playing Quidditch."

"Aye aye!" He saluted, raising his hands and keeping his palms open to show that he meant no harm and wasn't going to lay a sweaty hand on her. Like Barclay, some people didn't want to get a mess on their trousers. Even though there were servants and house elves to do most of the chores for them! Didn't they realize that they were making more work for themselves by holding back?

As for what to do to make friends, well, seeing as how she already made one of him, Cal thought that the girl was doing quite well for herself. "You say 'Hello, my name is- Uhhh..." Well thsi girl knew his name but he didn't know hers. She never properly introduced herself, which was the first rule in getting on in the world- as taught by his father. "You say your name! That way people can remember you." He motioned with his hand for her to try. "So I say hello my name is Calvin and you say...?"
ΙΟΠ
GRYFFINDOR

speak up.

Caitriona Magee

(04/04/2017 at 03:39)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
Caitriona laughed as he saluted her, "I don't mind dirt and mud and water. But not sweat. Anything but sweat, thank you very much!"

"You say your name! That way people can remember you." She hadn't realized he didn't really know her name, though she could have sworn she had mentioned it at least once before to him.

Thrusting her hand out to meet his, "Caitriona." She said with a grin. "Pleased to meet you!"

Calvin Sharppe

(04/05/2017 at 04:00)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
"I don't mind dirt and mud and water. But not sweat. Anything but sweat, thank you very much!"

Calvin wasn't sure what the difference was between dirt, mud, water, and sweat that couldn't all just be washed away. And sweat came from within- unlike the other two items which had to be put on.

But never mind that he supposed, as Caitriona stuck her hand out and introduced herself. Eagerly he captured the hand and shook frivolously, laughing. Right- onto the next step!

"And then you ask them to play!"

The game never mattered much either. When people got along, they just did and it didn't matter what the activity was. All that was needed was a catalyst. And at a place like camp, there were so many options. One just had to point and choose.
RECKLESS

Caitriona Magee

(04/05/2017 at 15:15)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
Caitriona laughed as he shook her hand, nearly shaking her whole body right off her feet. "And then you ask them to play!" He announced.

Ask them to play? Like what? "Well, Calvin. What kind of games do you want to play?" She was beginning to enjoy the company of other people much more than isolation. Why had she ever thought it a good idea to not make friends?

Calvin Sharppe

(04/13/2017 at 00:40)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
"Well, Calvin. What kind of games do you want to play?"

That was a rather excellent question. It wasn't a matter of picking a game but rather how many different imaginative new games he could come up with on the spot. There was always chasing each other on the broom but he didn't have his broom at the moment. If only there were more people; things were always more fun with more heads.

A casual glance at his surroundings found a little honeypot that was sitting on the side. Empty with dried honey at the rim. Brightly, he picked it up and sized up the weight in his hand before turning to Cait. "We can play catch!"
RECKLESS

Caitriona Magee

(04/13/2017 at 02:35)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
Calvin seemed to be thinking, her question rolling over in his mind. His eyes scanned their surroundings for a moment and then he was gone, and back again in a flash. Boy, he was quick.. She looked at him, No wonder you're on the Quidditch team.

"We can play catch!" Indeed they could. It was quite a childish game, one she hadn't played in eons. But with the honeypot in his hands and the excitement on his face, she could play anything with him.

Grinning, she put her hands out, ready to catch it, "Alright, throw it then." He really reminded her of her little brother. How old was Calvin? She couldn't recall and really was quite embarrassed to ask... "Calvin, how old are you?" She managed to let the words slip out without sounding like too much of a fool.

Calvin Sharppe

(04/16/2017 at 03:29)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
"Alright, throw it then."

Yess! Calvin didn't hesitate and with both arms, threw out the pot. It was much heavier than the typical Quaffle so he extended his strength forward more to move the object further into what was hopefully Cait's arms.

"Calvin, how old are you?"

"Me? Twelve and three months." Twelve was a huge year- Big! "You're Sixth Year, aren't you?" he asked in return.
RECKLESS

Caitriona Magee

(04/16/2017 at 04:02)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
Caitriona reached out, her arms straightened and she caught the pot, her hands dropping low to the ground as she was surprised by its weight. Allowing herself to adjust its heaviness, she readied to throw it. "Me? Twelve and three months." He seemed young. "You're a Sixth Year aren't you?"

She smiled and tossed it back to him, the pot went a little higher than planned, but he was on the quidditch team after all, he should be able to catch it. "Well, a seventh now. But essentially, yes." She laughed lightly, "I just realized that you're the same age as my brother. His birthday is the month after yours though." She smiled as she recalled a time in which her brother and her were playing catch in their backyard. His sandy blonde hair whisping across his face in the sunlight and his thin, pale hands diving out into the air to retrieve the rugby ball. It had been a good throw that day, and a good catch. He was a good catch.

Caitriona was overcome by a sudden sense of homesickness, her stomach boiled over inside her and she frowned for a milisecond. She only smiled again because someone else was looking.

Calvin Sharppe

(04/17/2017 at 02:51)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
"Oh wow, Seventh Year!" he exclaimed; much older than he had thought. The older someone was, the harder it was to tell their age. So many numbers to choose from. "What are you going to do when you graduate? Be an Auror? Healer?"

"I just realized that you're the same age as my brother. His birthday is the month after yours though."

This made Calvin really wish that he had a sibling to play with. Not that he'd want one now. If he had a little brother or sister, they'd be a baby. And babies weren't fun to play with. "We can all play together one day!" he suggested, although Cal wasn't sure on the logistics of the matter since her brother was a muggle. What did muggle brothers do in their spare time?
RECKLESS

Caitriona Magee

(04/17/2017 at 11:22)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
He was asking her a lot of questions. Things about what she wanted when she graduated. She had no idea really. She cocked her head to the side, "I've always wanted to work with animals."

"we can all play together one day!" He said, a grin had spread across his face. Caitriona wasn't really certain if he'd enjoy Muggle games.

"I don't know if you'll like muggle games." She said cahtiously, "We play catch like this and sports that don't involve flying broomstick and balls that are actually animals."

Calvin Sharppe

(04/23/2017 at 02:09)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
"Animals! You can practice with my dog. His name is Bandit." Cal declared proudly. Bandit was by far his most prized possession right before his broom. It was easy to see why Cait wanted to work with animals if it meant spending time with the likes of creatures like his dog (and getting paid for it too!)

"We play catch like this and sports that don't involve flying broomstick and balls that are actually animals."

Muggle games though, seemed less enticing. "What's the fun if you can't fly?" he pointed out. Certain he had times (like now) where they were on the ground. But to always be there? BOORING.
RECKLESS

Caitriona Magee

(04/23/2017 at 02:16)
  • Hufflepuff '51
  • C8D8T7S8
    • View Profile
"Animals! You can practice with my dog. His name is Bandit." He said excitedly.

"That sounds fun. I'd love to practice!"

"What's the fun if you can't fly?" He didn't seem to enjoy being on the ground very much.

Caitriona threw him the ball, "Well, you can pretend your flying. Which is just as much fun as actually flying." At least, she thought it was.

Calvin Sharppe

(04/28/2017 at 03:32)
  • Gryffindor '56
  • C16D12T8S14
    • View Profile
"That sounds fun. I'd love to practice!"

So it was settled then, Calvin thought in his mind. She was going to be in Hogwarts next year and that'll be when Bandit would return to his care. "He'll be at Hogwarts- you can come by and say hello to him any time! Just say the word!"

"Well, you can pretend your flying. Which is just as much fun as actually flying."

He shook his head. "Have you ever been on a broom?" he asked curiously, "It's a wonders different from being on the ground, I'll tell you that much." The thought of pretend flying only sounded appealing if he was fast asleep and needed to rest his body up for the physicality of the sport the next day.
RECKLESS

Tags: