Check out our Summer Workshops!

Author Topic: [PROMPT 1] Long Long Ago, Far Far Away  (Read 250 times)

Clinton Litchfield

(03/31/2017 at 12:29)
  • Director of Camp Loki & Head of Hufflepuff
  • C6D24T7S6
  • ['46-'47] Journalist of the Term ['47-'48] Journalist of the Term [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Summer Workshop Prompt #1
Long Long Ago, Far Far Away

We all like to tell stories -- that's why most of us are here, after all! We often recreate and reinvent ourselves through stories: they can act as a means through which we can learn to understand ourselves better, or as a bridge between our internal selves and the outside world. This is a chance for your character to try their own hand at storytelling too...

Your Task
Choose One

Option A
Write an event from your character's life as if it were from a children's storybook. Think about how children's storybooks function: there will likely only be a few sentences that use short, simple words. Maybe it has a moral, maybe it doesn't. The choice is yours! Accompanying pictures optional, but definitely welcome!

Option B
Write a scene in the future where one of your characters is telling a story of their past to a child. This can either be from a book, as above, or from memory. The child could be your own, related to you, or perhaps you're just babysitting them. Think about how your character will edit their story, for their own vanity and to make it age-appropriate for the child. Also consider the reactions of the child, and how they may interject with questions or comments (e.g. as in The Princess Bride).

How do I start?
three simple steps

1. Start a new thread in the Summer Workshop forum. It should be called Prompt 1A/1B: Title of Your Piece
2. Write your piece, following the prompt above.
3. Review the pieces of others (see How To Workshop).

All credit to TOBIAS MANDRAKE for this prompt idea!
« Last Edit: 07/22/2017 at 21:40 by Clinton Litchfield »
i've got sunshine on a cloudy day
when it's cold outside i've got the month of may
i've got so much honey the bees envy me
i've got a sweeter song than the birds in the trees

Tags: