Volunteer in the infirmary!

Author Topic: PROMPT 1: tied together with a smile  (Read 1035 times)

Calypso Ross

(12/12/2016 at 20:27)
  • Head of the Auror Office
  • C50D30T30S25
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['45-'46] Queen of the Hospital Wing ['44-'45] Duelling Finalist ['44-'45] Quidditch Champions [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Biggest Teacher's Pet ['43-'44] Duelling Finalist ['42-'43] Queen of the Hospital Wing
    • View Profile
december '45

Dark eyes latched onto to the figure as it tripped out of the library doors. Pinning the friendliest smile she could to her features, Calypso waved at the girl.

"Addie, right? Look, I need your help." She waited no longer than half a second before rushing on, "Should I get Jacks one of those stupid comics for Christmas or should I get him a... Oh, I don't know. A different stupid comic? They're all the same anyway, right?"

If she didn't know the answer, she was every bit as useless as Sophie claimed.
« Last Edit: 12/31/2016 at 23:05 by Calypso Ross »

G
Daring, Determination, Drive

* Addie Ross

(12/12/2016 at 20:29)
  • Dragonologist
  • C12D13T21S13
  • ['45-'46] Quidditch Champions [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
february '47

Muffin Man. Emergency. Come asap.
-- c.i.g

Addie had fled from the castle as soon as her Head of House had checked her Hogsmeade form. She was pink-cheeked and gasping for breath as she flung open the door to the bakery.

"I'm," she struggled for another gulp of air, "here!"

"Addie!" Calypso popped out from behind the counter.

(Was she allowed to work here? Did she even know how to operate a till?)

"I know we're a couple of days early and maybe I'm not great at baking, but Jacks helped me, and--" She shoved a plate into Addie's hands. There were eighteen candles stuck in it.

"Happy birthday!"

calm down, deep breaths; and get yourself dressed
instead of running around and pulling on your threads
and breaking yourself up; if it’s a broken part, replace it
if it’s a broken arm, then brace it; if it’s a broken heart, then face it

Calypso Ross

(12/12/2016 at 20:30)
  • C50D30T30S25
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['45-'46] Queen of the Hospital Wing ['44-'45] Duelling Finalist ['44-'45] Quidditch Champions [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Biggest Teacher's Pet ['43-'44] Duelling Finalist ['42-'43] Queen of the Hospital Wing
    • View Profile
april '47

"Do you think your sister's alright?"

Jacks stopped shovelling food into his mouth long enough to answer her. "Who, Sophie? Last I heard, she's off exploring America with Cadwa--atever."

"No, not Sophie, you idiot. The other one."

(Oh God, what was her name again?)

"Addie."

"I guess?"

"She always looks sad, though. Whenever I see her."

"Oh. Yeah. She's always been like that."

permission to powerplay jackson ross granted by player.
look out! look out!
'CAUSE EACH TIME I FALL
I'LL BE CRASHING DOWN
RIGHT THROUGH YOUR ARMS

* Addie Ross

(12/12/2016 at 20:32)
  • Dragonologist
  • C12D13T21S13
    • View Profile
june '47

"Are you having a good time?"

She looked beautiful, Addie had to admit, in her white dress and her white stiletto heels and her wedding ring that fit so perfectly on her finger. But she was intimidating too, and it was difficult to picture her as a sister, in-law or not. 

(Admittedly, she couldn't be worse than Sophie.)

"Yes, thanks."

"Are you sure?"

Calypso was squinting at her now, with those brown eyes and a doubtful expression on her face.

"I invited Silas Xavier, you know. Thought it'd be nice for you, only he never replied."

"Oh." Then, with a blush, "Thank you anyway."
you paint me a blue sky
and go back and turn it to rain
and I lived in your chess game
but you changed the rules every day

Calypso Ross

(12/23/2016 at 18:55)
  • C50D30T30S25
    • View Profile
february '48

"Addiiiieeeeee."

She slammed her palm against the door. Again. For the seventh time in the past minute. She had to be in there, Calypso was convinced. Addie Ross was not the sort of person who stayed out late on a Sunday evening; or any other evening, for that matter. She was the homely sort, the bookish sort. The nerdy sort.

(The Jacks sort.)

"Look, I know you're in there." She was babbling now, as she leaned in close towards the keyhole. "And I need your help, because it's not like I forgot that it's Jackson's birthday in--"

She checked her watch.

"--two hours and forty minutes, but I've had a really long day at work, and it's just been really stressful lately, and I know that you probably got his present weeks ago, but I just thought maybe you had an idea for something he might like that I can get tonight, or maybe you could lend me yours, or...or something."

She faltered, "Please?"

look out! look out!
'CAUSE EACH TIME I FALL
I'LL BE CRASHING DOWN
RIGHT THROUGH YOUR ARMS

* Addie Ross

(12/23/2016 at 19:37)
  • Dragonologist
  • C12D13T21S13
    • View Profile
february '48

"So I just wanted to thank you. For, um, letting me have the present you bought. He loved it."

Addie nodded. She'd known he would. It was why she'd bought it, after all. "It's okay."

"It's your birthday soon."

"Yes. I know."

"Right. Well, I got you something. I mean, it's nothing big, I just saw it and thought of you, and...here."

The present was wrapped in several layers of bright pink tissue paper. Very Calypso. Heavy too, surprisingly so. Addie pulled the silver ribbon off in one languid movement. The wrappings fell away. There, nestled in the rustling sheets was a large egg, tinted the palest grey. Addie's breath caught in her throat.

"It's not real, but I thought you might like it anyway."

She did like it. She liked it very much.
and the black keys never looked so beautiful
and a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
and the lights out never had this bright a glow
and the black keys, showing me a world I never knew, no

Calypso Ross

(12/31/2016 at 22:56)
  • C50D30T30S25
    • View Profile
december '49

"She's starting to show, don't you think?" Jacks grinned across the dinner table at Addie. His face shone with excitement.

They were having an early Christmas Dinner -- a Christmas Eve dinner, because Sophie would never forgive either of them if they invited Addie to come over tomorrow too. It was unfortunate, really, because Nyla Adelaide Ross wasn't all that bad.

Jacks was happier these days. Caly was too. They were happier together, and that was the real miracle.

"Oh, I..." Addie blushed.

"It's okay." Calypso laughed as she reached for the roast potatoes. "I won't get offended. I've got Hoppy calling me fat every other day."

"Well, in that case... Maybe just a little?"

look out! look out!
'CAUSE EACH TIME I FALL
I'LL BE CRASHING DOWN
RIGHT THROUGH YOUR ARMS

* Addie Ross

(12/31/2016 at 23:04)
  • Dragonologist
  • C12D13T21S13
    • View Profile
february '50

Jacks had owled her. A line of shakily-written words, scrawled on the back of an old shopping list.

She stood there now, in the room with the walls still painted baby blue. She could hear Jacks downstairs, making the tea she'd protested she didn't want. She could feel Calypso hovering in the doorway behind her.

She wanted to say something.

The kettle began to whistle, a shrill sound that pierced through the deathly silence in the house.

What could she say?

"I'm sorry."

It was not enough.

fin.

and the black keys never looked so beautiful
and a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
and the lights out never had this bright a glow
and the black keys, showing me a world I never knew, no

Tags: